Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Ticket Refund and Related (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 22, 2017, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA Ticket Refunds and Policies
As of 1 Apr 2016, 24 hour free cancellation, except bookings purchased within seven days of travel, is standard. Tickets purchased within seven days of travel are exempt from 24 hour cancellation policies, per USDOT.

NOTE: Hold can be used when offered. (As of 3 Nov 2016, AA randomly offers free 24 hour hold to those booking travel over seven days out, and some still report being offered up to 7 days hold for $15.99.)

Current refunds policy:

"You have 24 hours to cancel your trip for a full refund if you booked at least 7 days prior to departure. Link to AA Refunds FAQ."
Getting a reservation refunded is a two-step process. First cancel the reservation on aa.com or by calling Reservations, then second request the refund at http://prefunds.aa.com.

For bookings made online, AA may continue to sometimes offer hold for unspecified interim going forward, but 24 hours hold via telephone booking may no longer be granted by agents (though occasional ones might anyway).
update July 2016

AA follows USDOT requirements to the letter:● 24 hour cancellation with refund and no penalty, though

● No free 24-hour cancellations for purchases made within seven days of flying
(except on refundable fares)

● 24 hour hold will be offered for some random (at least to passengers) online bookings for some tickets for an undetermined interim period of time

● Extended hold for pay will still be offered online on many bookings (not within seven days)

● The five day holds for awards remains unaffected, but be aware all awards by non-elites also incur a $75 close in processing fee for 21 days or fewer from booking to flying.

● Awards that are cancelled incur a $150 redeposit fee (and $25 per other awards from the same account), except for Concierge Key and Executive Platinum members.
Fully refundable tickets that are cancelled: fare, fees and taxes will be returned to the original form of payment (FOP).

Nonrefundable tickets that are cancelled voluntarily: AA will generally issue a voucher for the fare, taxes and fees less the change fee described in the detailed fare rules. The voucher may be used for AA flights and other limited purposes. See Transportation Voucher / vouchers / "MCO" FAQ and master thread.

Full refunds, even for nonrefundable tickets, may often be made for the full fare, fees and taxes:

"We do not refund nonrefundable American Airlines tickets except when the ticket is cancelled within 24 hours of purchase, when we make a schedule change that results in a change of 61 minutes or more, upon the death of a passenger or passenger's travelling companion or because of military orders. Supporting documentation is required."

Some equipment changes, such as purchasing international First and being changed to a flight without First class, or a domestic F or Business seat is eliminated by substituting a single class Economy cabin, may also allow a full refund.

Don't forget to look at other venues for tickets, such as OTAs, if purchasing within the 7 day window and you would like some hedging protection. Expedia offers 24 hour cancellation on AA itineraries within the 7 day window and many AA itineraries can be held via Expedia Trip Lock (which charges a small fee to hold a fare for 48 hours).

Print Wikipost

AA Ticket Refund and Related (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2017, 8:25 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
Check to see if AA overcharged you. I had this 2 weeks ago. I bought a $1094 ticket and they charged me twice over 2 days. The 3rd day, they refunded the second charge. They issued the refund the day of travel, which scared the .... out of me thinking they cancelled my flight. I found later on after checking my statement the double charges.

And it was AMEX that notified me of the refund, not AA.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 8:42 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Maybe it's an error. If so, you may see it reversed soon enough. Don't spend it just yet !

However, when audit picks up an error which favors the customer, a refund does have to be issued. Despite what some people think, a public company can't simply pocket the cash.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:08 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Have you verified your trip is intact, and have you generated a receipt?
Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:39 am

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by JDiver
Have you verified your trip is intact, and have you generated a receipt?
He said he already flew it.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 8:16 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
I just got an e-mail which looks just like what OP described.

-I did not request a refund from AA.
-The e-mail spells out my full first name and full last name correctly.
-Master Card with last four digit listed on the e-mail is not mine.
-E-mail has AA logo.
-Says sender e-mail address is first.last@aa.com
-E-mail does not have any attachments nor links.

Looks highly suspicious. What is the point of this e-mail when there is no attachments nor links? One I can think is that this e-mail did not bounce back to the sender as undeliverable, confirming to the sender that this e-mail address is active e-mail address where bunch of spams and phishing e-mails can be sent…
Old Apr 21, 2017, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
I just got an e-mail which looks just like what OP described.

-I did not request a refund from AA.
-The e-mail spells out my full first name and full last name correctly.
-Master Card with last four digit listed on the e-mail is not mine.
-E-mail has AA logo.
-Says sender e-mail address is first.last@aa.com
-E-mail does not have any attachments nor links.

Looks highly suspicious. What is the point of this e-mail when there is no attachments nor links? One I can think is that this e-mail did not bounce back to the sender as undeliverable, confirming to the sender that this e-mail address is active e-mail address where bunch of spams and phishing e-mails can be sent…
Were there any graphics, such as the logo? It's old technology, but graphics can be used as a web beacon to show someone opened the message and confirms the address.

Yes, it could be the result of a simple error on an AAgent's part where they mashed up your account with a legitimate refund. As long as the CC number is correct (the proper pax) then it should shake out fine.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 8:32 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Follow-up:

I did go to AA.com refund page and entered the ticket number listed on the e-mail. Says refund was issued on the same date as the e-mail indicates, same amount as e-mail indicates, and to the same last four digit Master Card e-mail indicates.

So was this legitimate e-mail form AA but sent to the wrong person?
Old Apr 21, 2017, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
Follow-up:

I did go to AA.com refund page and entered the ticket number listed on the e-mail. Says refund was issued on the same date as the e-mail indicates, same amount as e-mail indicates, and to the same last four digit Master Card e-mail indicates.

So was this legitimate e-mail form AA but sent to the wrong person?
It is possible someone made a mistake in the email address.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 5:10 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by mvoight
It is possible someone made a mistake in the email address.
I have received emails from airlines for reservations that I did not make. I assume that someone mis-typed their email address. This could have happened in the OP's case.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by cheltzel
I have received emails from airlines for reservations that I did not make. I assume that someone mis-typed their email address. This could have happened in the OP's case.
A few months ago, someone signed up for Netflix with an email address of mine. I'd guess stuff like this happens fairly often.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 7:43 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by richarddd
A few months ago, someone signed up for Netflix with an email address of mine. I'd guess stuff like this happens fairly often.
I always try to contact the airline to make sure they know about the email address issue. Hopefully it gets taken care of.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by cheltzel
I always try to contact the airline to make sure they know about the email address issue. Hopefully it gets taken care of.
FWIW, I called Netflix to report the email address issue. They said they'd stop sending me emails. I asked what would happen to the account. They basically said the account would continue to be charged, but wouldn't be usable until the real holder contacted them.
Old May 10, 2017, 9:44 am

AA schedule change - but I don't want a refund

Some months ago, I booked 4 domestic one way tickets on AA with sAAver miles (so 12,500 miles each). They just notified me of a change in my flights that now causes me to leave 2 hours later, arriving at my destination 2 hours later. I am not happy about the change as I would much prefer to arrive earlier rather than later.

I called but the only other flight they said I was eligible for was an even later flight. She offered to refund my miles - but that doesn't help me since pretty much all other flights that day are now 30k miles.

Is there anything I can do? My ideal would be a flight that leaves about 4 hours earlier than my original flight.

First time using AA miles so a lot to learn. Thanks
Old May 10, 2017, 9:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, DL PM
Call back and Ask them to open saaver inventory on the flight you want - with a 2 hour schedule change they should be accommodating
Old May 10, 2017, 10:02 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
HUCA.

In virtually ever instance of an award schedule change I can recall, I was eventually able to secure the preferred itinerary - even in cases where saaver award inventory was not available. Perhaps my status helped?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.