Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Int'l SWU Denied for Arriving at the Gate "Too Late"?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Int'l SWU Denied for Arriving at the Gate "Too Late"?

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2017, 10:30 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by keitherson
This entire thread is hilarious. How about you just fly Delta instead, where they upgrade you and hold your boarding pass at the gate for you to pick it up. Or if you try to board, the machine will spit out your new seat number instead.

But I guess the world's greatest flyers can't seem to get some actual customer service
That's how it should be at American. Unfortunately, imo, the focus is not customer centered at this AA.

Most here are not making excuses for AA, merely pointing out the sad reality of an airline that doesn't see being customer focused as useful.

Last edited by JDiver; May 21, 2017 at 10:35 pm
Old May 21, 2017, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<redacted>

Originally Posted by Always Flyin
What you cite is check-in time, not gate time. Gates close 10-minutes before departure. I was there 35-minutes before departure.
Absolutely false. Double-check that reading comprehension. I cited the requirement that you be at the gate 30 minutes prior to departure or risk losing your confirmed reservation. You cut it very close.

Originally Posted by Always Flyin
I arrived at check-in 2:05 before departure.
I couldn't care less when you checked in - wouldn't matter if you checked in the day before departure. If you aren't at the gate 30 minutes prior to departure (for departures outside the US), then someone else may get your seat.

Last edited by JDiver; May 21, 2017 at 10:37 pm Reason: Redacted previously deleted post content and reply
Old May 21, 2017, 10:56 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I haven't been through CDG in a while, but the last time I had to clear security you did NOT have to use the security area closest to AA, ANY security line in that area of CDG is OK; so look for a security line 3 or 4 areas away with the shortest line.
Old May 21, 2017, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by JDiver
That's how it should be at American. Unfortunately, imo, the focus is not customer centered at this AA.

Most here are not making excuses for AA, merely pointing out the sad reality of an airline that doesn't see being customer focused as useful.
I have no choice but to agree with you fully
Old May 21, 2017, 11:11 pm

One thing I don't see anyone mentioning is what is the boarding time printed on the BP? Its a pointless argument to have when the OP can simply look at his boarding pass and see if he was there at the specified time of boarding. In my experience, AA almost never boards on time based on the specified time on the BP, so the fact that the OP arrived when his group was called probably means he was at least a few minutes later than the time specified on the BP. Point number 2, I've never heard of the need to be at the gate for an upgrade either. I've been upgraded after I boarded and when I refresh my app just informed the FA and take my new seat. Although, a previous poster mentioned something about a tax needing to be paid at CDG for which I have no experience in.
Old May 21, 2017, 11:15 pm

On my last CDG-DFW flight, I cleared in the Admiral's Club. The AC agent was actively coordinating with the gate. In fact, she _was_ a gate agent. I have no clue how she got from the AC to the gate faster than I did. (The gate was in the flying saucer, of course. Back when the AC was in the saucer, my gate always seemed to be at the other end of the terminal.)
Old May 21, 2017, 11:29 pm

Again, CDG requires that a credit card payment be processed to pay for the "luxury tax" when the SWU clears. The ticket then has to be reissued. This combination takes at least 30 minutes at CDG.
Old May 21, 2017, 11:40 pm

Programs: AA,CX, BA, Priority Club, SPG, Hilton
Originally Posted by babypuwet
One thing I don't see anyone mentioning is what is the boarding time printed on the BP? Its a pointless argument to have when the OP can simply look at his boarding pass and see if he was there at the specified time of boarding. In my experience, AA almost never boards on time based on the specified time on the BP, so the fact that the OP arrived when his group was called probably means he was at least a few minutes later than the time specified on the BP. Point number 2, I've never heard of the need to be at the gate for an upgrade either. I've been upgraded after I boarded and when I refresh my app just informed the FA and take my new seat. Although, a previous poster mentioned something about a tax needing to be paid at CDG for which I have no experience in.
I was thinking the similar point. Boarding time! If i recall correctly, last time i flew CDG-JFK was Jan 2017, boarding time was 40 mins (if not 50 mins) before departure time. I remember it was not 30 mins for sure.
On a side note , usually no need to worry about the tax processing, since they should had asked you to provide a credit card # when you request the upgrade.so they do have your credit card # on file.
Old May 22, 2017, 12:08 am

Originally Posted by Fly2Where
I was thinking the similar point. Boarding time!
On a side note , usually no need to worry about the tax processing, since they should had asked you to provide a credit card # when you request the upgrade.so they do have your credit card # on file.
Except that it is not that easy at CDG. They send you to different counters to process the credit card payment with your physical card in hand, another one to check you in and ask you security questions, and yet another one to process the ticket re-issue. And back to the first counter to re-issue a boarding pass. So no automatic processing of credit card for payment of the tax.
And then when i got to JFK, the screen showed "cleared" with a check mark for the upgrade on my connecting flight but the gate agent in JFK said "I don't know why it is showing as "cleared" but your upgrade will not clear" and I flew coach.
So, CDG is special and getting to the gate 30 minutes before your flight will not be enough...
Old May 22, 2017, 6:20 am

For what it's worth, the current boarding time stated on BP's at CDG is T-50.
Old May 22, 2017, 6:37 am

Programs: AA PP 1.8MM, PC Spire, Hertz 5*, Hyatt Globalist

^ This is how I feel.

I am surprised with how many people believe we as airline consumers are expected to just accept it and not set a higher standard of service from the airlines and hold them accountable if they don't meet those expectations.
Old May 22, 2017, 6:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TheSkyGuy
You conveniently didn't quote the part that said you must be at the gate ready to board at 30 minutes prior to scheduled departure for flights departing from points -outside- the U.S., Puerto Rico, and Virgin Islands, i.e., Canada, Mexico, Europe, Asia, Central/South America, Caribbean, Bahamas, Bermuda.

You arrived at D-35 which put you 5 minutes from being possibly offloaded and your bag(s) pulled.
Did you miss that I was at the gate BEFORE the cut-off time AA requires?

Before is BEFORE.

If your attitude towards the commenters in this thread are the same attitude you gave the GA, I'm not the least bit surprised he/she didn't jump through any hoops to accommodate you and stuck to the rules.
Since you were not there, you don't know how my attitude was. I can tell you being nice didn't matter one bit to the agent.

You are due no compensation, and a complaint will yield no results. I can guarantee you that.
Thank you, American Airlines Customer Service Department.

Also, you have no proof of wrongdoing by the gate agent so cool it with the unnecessary speculation.
So you have proof the agent acted properly?

I will feel free to speculate on anything I see fit.

Originally Posted by rjw242
I think it's exactly how they should treat the ExPlat who showed up to the gate on time and got your upgrade.
Thanks for yet [another] snarky post. You are on a roll.

Care to point out where I was NOT at the gate on time?

Originally Posted by laagima
An important fact not mentioned so far: CDG upgrades require the passenger to pay for a "luxury tax" before the SWU can be processed and the ticket re-issued. It took quite a long time for that to happen- nearly 30 minutes or so before my SWU was processed at check-in and I had to go to at least 3 different counters. Just saying that it is not an easy or automatic process at CDG.
That was never mentioned.

Actually, it seems to me there are several who are blaming ME for not showing up at the gate on time, even though I arrived within the timeframe established by AA and there is no guidance on when waitlisted upgrades clear.

Originally Posted by FWAAA

Absolutely false. Double-check that reading comprehension. I cited the requirement that you be at the gate 30 minutes prior to departure or risk losing your confirmed reservation. You cut it very close.
30-minutes means 30-minutes doesn't it?

I was there before the cut-off. That is all the is relevant.

I don't make it a habit of hanging out at gates.

I couldn't care less when you checked in - wouldn't matter if you checked in the day before departure. If you aren't at the gate 30 minutes prior to departure (for departures outside the US), then someone else may get your seat.
Since you seemed to have missed it [again], I was at the gate 35-minutes before departure.

Originally Posted by laagima
Again, CDG requires that a credit card payment be processed to pay for the "luxury tax" when the SWU clears. The ticket then has to be reissued. This combination takes at least 30 minutes at CDG.
Perhaps AA should post some guidance on this then.

Originally Posted by nutwpinut
^ This is how I feel.

I am surprised with how many people believe we as airline consumers are expected to just accept it and not set a higher standard of service from the airlines and hold them accountable if they don't meet those expectations.
Seem to be a lot of people here accepting it.
Old May 22, 2017, 7:01 am

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Is this 2017 or 1997? Upgrades should be pushed to the app and the mobile boarding pass updated regardless of whether the passenger is standing at the gate. That is how domestic upgrades are processed, right down to the last minute before boarding starts. I have never had a 500-mile upgrade "lost" or rejected because I was not at the gate. It is an IT and/or process failure if SWU cannot be issued the same way.

The fact that the OP almost missed the 30-minute gate show up deadline is immaterial. If he had missed that deadline he would have been offloaded entirely, and that didn't happen.
Old May 22, 2017, 7:11 am
Original Poster

I have been on FlyerTalk for a very long time. During that time, FlyerTalk has changed dramatically, and most certainly not for the better.

Originally, FlyerTalk was a community that helped other fliers navigate the complex morass of travel issues.

Now, as evidenced by this thread, it is more of an opportunity for posters to bash people who encounter problems. I am amazed of the number of people here who have chosen to blame me and see nothing wrong with how AA handled this.

I checked-in on time. I was at the gate on time. I did everything AA said I should do.

No one has been able to cite any guidance from AA on acting differently when waitlisted for an international upgrade.

Yet some are gleefully and snarkily blaming me.

Welcome to the new FlyerTalk.
Old May 22, 2017, 7:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wetrat0
The fact that the OP almost missed the 30-minute gate show up deadline is immaterial. If he had missed that deadline he would have been offloaded entirely, and that didn't happen.
On this flight, which I find to be the norm, boarding continued until 10-minutes before departure, so AA wouldn't have known whether I was there or not until they closed boarding.

AA wants you at the gate 30-minutes before departure, but the doors don't [officially] close until 10-minutes before departure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.