Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Int'l SWU Denied for Arriving at the Gate "Too Late"?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Int'l SWU Denied for Arriving at the Gate "Too Late"?

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2017, 8:19 pm

Let's see. You paid for an economy ticket and you flew in economy. Somehow it is hard for me to feel that you were "cheated." The one way to be sure that you fly business is to buy a business ticket.
Old May 21, 2017, 8:20 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Now you know to show up earlier.
Old May 21, 2017, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by pt flyer
Let's see. You paid for an economy ticket and you flew in economy. Somehow it is hard for me to feel that you were "cheated." The one way to be sure that you fly business is to buy a business ticket.
Not exactly. SWU are hard to earn and are a great benefit that is expected to be able to redeem.
Old May 21, 2017, 9:03 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by rjw242
If the GA pages you multiple times and you don't respond -- whether for a standby seat, a domestic upgrade, or a SWU, you can lose your spot. This is how it's been as long as I can remember. I know I sound like a broken record, but am a bit astounded at how unfamiliar frequent flyers seem to be with... you know, flying.
Ok, I'll bite. I'm a frequent flyer, and an EXP that frequently requests and receives upgrades. I have not once hightailed it to the gate in order to bother a gate agent: I see where I am on the list, wait for the GA to clear upgrades, and once he or she does so, I refresh my mobile boarding pass. Then, I show up and board around the middle to end of boarding.

I've never once had an issue because I wasn't at the gate when upgraded cleared. The rule you're stating is not a customer facing policy, and it seems very unlikely to me that it's an internal policy. If an agent denied my upgrade because I was waiting in the club for boarding, I would be unhappy.

You seem very sure of yourself on this point, enough so to make a sarcastic comment about those who don't share your understanding. Anything you can point to that backs you up?
Old May 21, 2017, 9:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
As you seem to recognize but not acknowledge, 35 minutes before departure was in fact well after boarding commenced (as is standard practice for many international flights). If you're not at the gate when they page you for your upgrade (which normally happens just before or during boarding), it can be forfeited. Been like this for years.

Since you're aware CDG is such a mess, might I suggest getting to the airport earlier next time?
2:05 before departure as an Executive Platinum is unreasonable?

Arriving at the gate earlier than the 30-minute cut-off and when my group was boarding somehow violated AA policies?

Originally Posted by YtravelF
Normally I err on the side of the GA, but in this case you definitely got screwed
Anyone doing an audit of your flight's PALL list will be able to see something fishy went down.
The employees who got the upgrades (and they did get them) absolutely should have been sent to economy instead of you imo.
That's how I look at it.

No doubt this was all part of their secret conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids.
Care to try a rationale and comprehensible post?

Originally Posted by iadisgreat
Is there a requirement to be there at the exact moment they process upgrades? News to me.
Me too. And if there is, what time is that, exactly. Funny how no one has posted a link where AA says upgrades clear XX-minutes before departure.

If they're processing SWUs, they page you several times, and you don't show, they may give your upgrade to the next person on the list to facilitate an on-time departure.

Again, this is the way it's been for years. Surprised more people haven't encountered this. I've certainly been the beneficiary of it a few times
How long before departure does that occur because I have never seen a posted statement from AA on the time.

Originally Posted by ESpen36
You should have been present at the gate when they started processing the upgrade and standby lists. I think the GA was within her powers to deny you the upgrade for not being present when she called you, in order to make sure the aircraft door closed on time.

For widebody departures FROM overseas, I typically arrive at the gate 75-90 minutes in advance of departure time, since they start boarding earlier and earlier each year it seems. Just play on your phone and be present so you can dash up the instant your name is called. Just my two cents.
That's you. Don't suppose you have an official position from AA on the matter? i complied with what positions exist.

Originally Posted by abk
International flight, checked in on time and said yes I still want the upgrade and passed over for not being at the gate on time. If it were me I would have been in the AC and asked them to check with the gate and expected them to have my BP when they cleared me.
I didn't have time to make it to the club.

Originally Posted by SamOF
Huh? Isn't the whole point of an Admiral's Club that you're not expected to spend the entire time between check-in and getting on board at the gate?
Or perhaps AA has more passengers than they can handle at CDG. Like I was supposed to know because, well, AA never told me.

Originally Posted by Hengilas
Absolutely do not understand why you have to be at the gate; I have cleared coutnless upgrades both comp and SWU and NEVER had to be at the gate to claim them. I always only show up right before boarding and collect my ticket. I'd be really upset at this.

100% agree with OP and don't know how you can lay blame on him for this situation
There seem to be plenty of AA apologists doing so.

Originally Posted by jay_dubya
OP gave no indication that OP was in AC
I wasn't. No time.

Originally Posted by justforfun
Agreed. The requiremrnt that at you need to be present at the gate the moment your upgrade clears or you lose it is completely fabricated. How about mobile boarding passes that get automatically updated with your new seat? Why on earth would you think you had to go to the gate to claim it. Ludicrous.
Thank you.

OP was told to check at the gate - GA had no reason to believe OP would make the flight, considering the lines in CDG
Then why didn't they remove my bags from the flight and give away my seat?

I did check at the gate. While boarding for my group was underway.

Instead of blaming me (what did I do wrong again?), how about AA posting a time limit so we are not guessing? 35-minutes is not enough? How about 40? 45? 50? Perhaps I should show up at the gate 3-hours before departure just in case?

The point is that the upgrade didn't clear -- the GA paged the OP multiple times to see if he was in the gate area; if he'd responded, the upgrade would have then been cleared.

If the GA pages you multiple times and you don't respond -- whether for a standby seat, a domestic upgrade, or a SWU, you can lose your spot. This is how it's been as long as I can remember. I know I sound like a broken record, but am a bit astounded at how unfamiliar frequent flyers seem to be with... you know, flying.
Then tell me what time that should be because AA certainly hasn't?

Originally Posted by justforfun
That's not what happened at all. The OP checked in "timely".
I certainly thought 2:05 before departure was more than timely, but now that all "Premiers" are equal, which means none are premier, apparently not.

See OP's account above. Apparently not timely enough. Not blaming OP for lines at CDG - but GA did nothing wrong
Which means I did . . .

Originally Posted by Time traveller
I would like to ask a couple of questions to clarify the situation in case other forum members are in a similar situation in the future.

Is there a difference between a SWU vs miles+copay upgrade? It seems OP was on the upgrade list with a SWU, so the GA could have upgraded him automatically and had the BP waiting for him when he arrived at the gate. However if OP was using miles+copay, does the GA need to swipe a credit card for the copay porition?
Sounds reasonable to me. What, did they think I was not going to appear? If so, why didn't they offload my bags?

Also if OP was at the AC at CDG, could he have been in touch with the AAngels and inquired about the upgrade? Can the AAngels upgrade the passenger and process the SWU and/or collect the copay if using miles+copay? At what T-departure time, does the AC staff no longer have access to the upgrade list? And does this vary between US hubs and airports outside the US (e.g. CDG)?
I had no time to make it to the AC. ExPlats in CDG have no priority.

Typically they say international flights start boarding 45 minutes prior to departure time. So I usually try to leave the AC or another lounge with enough time to get to the gate by that time. Another member here stated he/she arrives at the gate 75-90 minutes before the departure time. Is this recommended at an airport outside the US and/or if you are waiting for an upgrade and do not want to miss being called? If you are at the AC, doesn't the AC scan your BP and know that you are waiting at the AC and not at the gate?
AA has posted no such guidance to my knowledge.

I am sorry to hear the OP went through a very frustrating experience. However I wonder if the rest of us can learn from this instance and be better prepared if we also are in a similar situation in the future.
What are we supposed to learn? Be at the gate 3-hours before departure or lose your upgrade?

Originally Posted by ESpen36
Agreed. Getting the upgrade is more important than extra time in the lounge.
I had no time in the lounge.

Originally Posted by JDiver
First, per AA:

Boarding times:

"50 minutes prior to departure From/To the United States and:
Europe
Middle East
Asia
South American destinations: Asuncion, PY; Brasilia, BR; Belo Horizonte, BR; Curitiba, Br; Buenos Aires, AR; Rio de Janeiro, BR; Sao Paulo, BR; Lima, PE; Montevideo, UY; Porto Alegre, BR; Recife, BR; Salvador, BR; Santiago, CL; Sao Paulo Viracop, BR"

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ar-2017-a.html

We've had many posts regarding:

Boarding times - for many international flights, they begin boarding 45 (or earlier - see above) minutes prior to scheduled departure

D-0 - wherein many gate agents begin boarding early

Losing upgrades because one was not in the gate area before they began boarding, which is when they process upgrades

Whether it's AA policy or not seems immaterial, because the evidence supports gate agents are empowered to do pretty much anything they want as long as the jetway is closed and the aircraft is ready for pushback on time.

These posts have been full of angst - why should Club members be denied Club access merely because the gate agents might choose to process upgrades by voice calls, leaving those not present out of luck and upgradeless? Because D-0 is their priority. Apparently AA will penalize them for a late departure if it's due to gate checking bags because there were too many passengers with bin bags, or other reasons presumably under their control, and AA appears not to penalize them for early boarding calls and using upgrade in order but by voice call.
I would be far less upset if AA published the rules on when you lose an upgrade, but they don't. I guess I was supposed to guess.

<Redacted> is this really how you think an ExPlat should be treated? Really?

Last edited by Always Flyin; May 22, 2017 at 6:37 am Reason: Characterization not allowed in this forum
Old May 21, 2017, 9:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pt flyer
What an original idea. You are the first one to ever come up with that one. I have never seen such a statement posted on FlyerTalk before . . .

Very helpful.

Originally Posted by kb9522
Now you know to show up earlier.
Thanks for the input. How much earlier should I show up since you know everything on how to deal with this? I don't do well at the guessing game.

Last edited by Always Flyin; May 22, 2017 at 6:38 am
Old May 21, 2017, 9:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FWAAA
The OP was just minutes away from being off-loaded and left behind {if the flight was overbooked or there were standby passengers):

https://www.aa.com/i18n/customer-ser...ooter?#checkin

Looks like a good learning opportunity. Want an upgrade? Get to the gate early. You don't ever want to miss your name being paged by a gate agent.
<redacted>.

What you cite is check-in time, not gate time. Gates close 10-minutes before departure. I was there 35-minutes before departure.

I arrived at check-in 2:05 before departure.

Last edited by JDiver; May 21, 2017 at 10:36 pm Reason: Redacted unfriendly bits
Old May 21, 2017, 9:24 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Have not flown out of CDG but is it a mobile BP station? If so, why couldn't GA have seen that yes, OP was checked in ontime for the flight, so she could clear his upgrade (OP could've received the notification on the app) and trust that this pax (who was presumably very high on the upgrade list) would be very interested in getting his upgrade. Obviously if OP doesn't show then she can give the upgrade to someone else. Not sure why the GA just didn't do this? I guess if CDG isn't a mobile BP station then my post is moot.
Old May 21, 2017, 9:27 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
If things happened as the OP stated they got screwed in my mind. I know that the gate agent can give away your upgrade if you arent there to grab it in a timely fashion but dont think what they described qualifies. I do not however like the comment about assuming it is a NRSA situation unless they have proof.
Old May 21, 2017, 9:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mcgahat
I do not however like the comment about assuming it is a NRSA situation unless they have proof.
Perhaps I have personally seen it happen too often, particularly at out-stations.

Last edited by Always Flyin; May 22, 2017 at 6:39 am
Old May 21, 2017, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by Always Flyin
Do you know how to read a contract? Guess what, I do. In fact, I do it for a living.

What you cite is check-in time, not gate time. Gates close 10-minutes before departure. I was there 35-minutes before departure.

I arrived at check-in 2:05 before departure.
For someone who reads contracts, you failed to read the entire statement or the website link provided.

You conveniently didn't quote the part that said you must be at the gate ready to board at 30 minutes prior to scheduled departure for flights departing from points -outside- the U.S., Puerto Rico, and Virgin Islands, i.e., Canada, Mexico, Europe, Asia, Central/South America, Caribbean, Bahamas, Bermuda.

You arrived at D-35 which put you 5 minutes from being possibly offloaded and your bag(s) pulled.

If your attitude towards the commenters in this thread are the same attitude you gave the GA, I'm not the least bit surprised he/she didn't jump through any hoops to accommodate you and stuck to the rules.

You are due no compensation, and a complaint will yield no results. I can guarantee you that.

Also, you have no proof of wrongdoing by the gate agent so cool it with the unnecessary speculation.

Last edited by TheSkyGuy; May 21, 2017 at 9:52 pm
Old May 21, 2017, 9:49 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
This entire thread is hilarious. How about you just fly Delta instead, where they upgrade you and hold your boarding pass at the gate for you to pick it up. Or if you try to board, the machine will spit out your new seat number instead.

But I guess the world's greatest flyers can't seem to get some actual customer service
Old May 21, 2017, 9:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
For the AA apologists out there, is this really how you think an ExPlat should be treated? Really?
I think it's exactly how they should treat the ExPlat who showed up to the gate on time and got your upgrade.
Old May 21, 2017, 10:04 pm

An important fact not mentioned so far: CDG upgrades require the passenger to pay for a "luxury tax" before the SWU can be processed and the ticket re-issued. It took quite a long time for that to happen- nearly 30 minutes or so before my SWU was processed at check-in and I had to go to at least 3 different counters. Just saying that it is not an easy or automatic process at CDG.
Old May 21, 2017, 10:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by TheSkyGuy
For someone who reads contracts, you failed to read the entire statement or the website link provided.

You conveniently didn't quote the part that said you must be at the gate ready to board at 30 minutes prior to scheduled departure for flights departing from points -outside- the U.S., Puerto Rico, and Virgin Islands, i.e., Canada, Mexico, Europe, Asia, Central/South America, Caribbean, Bahamas, Bermuda.
I, too, tend to assume that when FWAAA quotes this section in his post (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28342288-post27.html) from the linked AA.com page :

Arrival at Gate

You must be at the gate and ready to board the aircraft:

15 minutes prior to scheduled departure for flights departing from points -within- the U.S., Puerto Rico, and Virgin Islands

30 minutes prior to scheduled departure for flights departing from points -outside- the U.S., Puerto Rico, and Virgin Islands, i.e., Canada, Mexico, Europe, Asia, Central/South America, Caribbean, Bahamas, Bermuda
That he is, in fact, referring to this section:

Arrival at Gate

You must be at the gate and ready to board the aircraft:

15 minutes prior to scheduled departure for flights departing from points -within- the U.S., Puerto Rico, and Virgin Islands

30 minutes prior to scheduled departure for flights departing from points -outside- the U.S., Puerto Rico, and Virgin Islands, i.e., Canada, Mexico, Europe, Asia, Central/South America, Caribbean, Bahamas, Bermuda

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.