Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Apr 25, 2017, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA Ground Staff May Deny Boarding for China Transit Without Visa Issues

This thread is ONLY for discussion of American Airlines' ground staff dealing with Chinese TWOV issues.
For further information, see:

FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China Forum

China Visa / Visas Master Thread (all you need to know)

and / or

China 24, 72, and 144 hour Transit Without Visa ("TWOV") rules master thread

The issue: though Chinese immigration authorities seem disposed to allow transit without visa for passengers going on to flights with connections in non-China, non-origin destinations, e.g. LAX-PVG <permitted TWOV> PVG-NRT-LAX, AA ground staff have denied boarding to passengers for the XXX-China leg.

Even if such a passenger were to secure alternate arrangements or reimbursement, there is still sure to be considerable inconvenience. Until AA informs ground staff such travel complies with China TWOV rules, purchasing such an itinerary currently entails some degree of risk, as evidenced in the following thread.

AA generally uses IATA Timatic to verify boarding eligibility. Link to Timatic Web provided courtesy of United Airlines; this form provides information on entry requirements, not departure policies as might be administered by any airline.

Print Wikipost

144 TWOV China- AA Issues/Questions

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2017, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
Letter of the law
Spirit of the law

Its "transit" with out visa. The intent of the rule is for transit not spending 6 days in China. You are atempting to abuse the system. Doesn't matter what paperwork you have you are net getting on that flight.
I assume the intent is to promote the use of Chinese carriers and those passengers spending $ in China. Like Singapore has been doing since the 70s.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 8:33 am
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Originally Posted by erik123
I assume the intent is to promote the use of Chinese carriers and those passengers spending $ in China. Like Singapore has been doing since the 70s.
When foreign governments bend the rules. You can respond likewise. Business is business.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 8:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by seawolf
OP is not overstaying. OP didn't have proper visa to enter to begin with because TVOW does not to apply. I would even wager the airfare involved was a US-China roundtrip without any stopover.

^

TVOW cover vast majority of travelers who is merely doing a short stay in China to 3rd country. If OP built a schedule for more than 24 hours in NRT, this would have been clear cut. Perhaps OP had business in NRT but as far as airline is concerned, this was a US->China round trip.

For whatever reason, OP decide to game it. Not sure if it was intentional but in retrospect, easier and cheaper to get the visa to begin with.
Having an "official" stopover over 48 hours at NRT still doesn't avoid problems with airline agents not letting one board for TWOV.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 11:47 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by FlyingJay
What is funny is I got the idea for this routing through the TWOV flyertalk thread. Many travel blogs including FlyerTalk, TripAdviosr, and PointsGuy all mention the LAX-PVG-NRT-LAX route as acceptable.
Which is why our TWOV discussions -- even if we disagree about practice vs. policy, intentional ambiguity, or whether a connection in NRT qualifies as an "onward connection to a third country" need to inform FTers that:

Originally Posted by JonNYC
Until/unless they make further financial accommodation (and even in that event,) the risk of being denied boarding in a similar fashion-- or running into similar hassle at the very least*-- when flying AA on a similar itin a) exists and, b) is undeniable.

This is not unique to AA (see the recent post about the interpretation of a sophisticated corporate travel office), FT has several reports of TWOV issues similar to that of the OP reported in different airline threads, and I'm not seeing any evidence of airlines pulling out their checkbooks on this issue.

Last edited by C17PSGR; Apr 27, 2017 at 12:07 pm
Old Apr 27, 2017, 11:52 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
...This is not unique to AA (see the recent post about the interpretation of a sophisticated corporate travel office), FT has several reports of TWOV issues similar to that of the OP reported in different airline threads, and I'm not seeing any evidence of airlines pulling out their checkbooks on this issue.
Very true, I found reports on Twitter as well-- Air Canada, others.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 11:59 am
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
I'm not seeing any evidence of airlines pulling out their checkbooks on this issue.
SOP vouchers..miles

"Liu sent multiple emails to United, asking it to address two problems. First, the fact that he was denied boarding because of a bogus visa problem. And second, that his luggage went to China without him, and in violation of its own policies and security protocol.

United’s response? It offered him either a $400 dollar travel voucher and 10,000 miles or 25,000 miles."

http://elliott.org/blog/is-this-enou...-china-anyway/
Old Apr 27, 2017, 12:40 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Let's be clear, the chances of not being allowed to board are fairly slim, even with a US carrier, which means that for the (mostly US-based) carriers who dont think this is allowed then they are breaking their rules and allowing it in many cases. They are either right in the OPs case and wrong in those they allow (without any adverse consequence) to board, they cannot be right in both. BTW, my experience was that Asian airlines know/knew the correct interpretation of the rule (irrespective of the anecdote about CX letting someone on for an itinerary that didnt qualify) and wouldn't deny boarding. With the US carriers, less so, but for all US airlines there is no doubt that some staff do understand the 2 country rule and do not deny boarding, notwithstanding the position some with no experience using TWOV here who would hold that A-China-B is not permissible.

Is it the position of people here that for all those of us who have used TWOV on a US carrier before that we "got over" on the airline or that the airline staff erred in letting us board? I agree this is a training issue and maybe less so an interpretation issue, but among my wide group of friends that use this, it is only people who tried throw away ticketing (and not actually leaving to a different country than they arrived from) or tried to travel outside the area restriction.

In addition to the things people have posted here, in my experience in the past I found that nearly every English language website for the PRC has a description of this and they all say clearly A-China-A is not permitted but everything else is. I scoured the web before using it for the first time and it was crystal clear what China would allow.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 1:01 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by stephem

Is it the position of people here that for all those of us who have used TWOV on a US carrier before that we "got over" on the airline or that the airline staff erred in letting us board?

In addition to the things people have posted here, in my experience in the past I found that nearly every English language website for the PRC has a description of this and they all say clearly A-China-A is not permitted but everything else is. I scoured the web before using it for the first time and it was crystal clear what China would allow.
No one is accusing OP of trying to get over on the airline. He read the information on FT and may or may not have been aware of the issues/risk with routings like his (as opposed to someone from Melbourne who goes to Shanghai for a few days and then goes to Hong Kong for a few days and then returns to Melbourne).

As for websites and blogs, there are certainly many that take very clear positions on what China will allow. I've certainly read the Shanghai immigration website and don't believe it makes it "crystal clear" that OP's routing is permitted.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 1:20 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
There does not appear to be any misunderstanding on AAgent's part.

AAgent saw OP is not transiting to 3rd country as OP was ticketed back to origin country (US) via NRT as a connection and not a stopover and thus denied boarding as OP didn't qualify for TVOW and didn't have a Chinese visa.

The crux is NRT is a connection.

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Involuntary changes to an itinerary do not invalidate TWOV. If your flight out of china is delayed or cancelled the passenger is not held liable for any breach of TWOV (which might include overstay or rerouting).

One or two agents not understanding the rules does not mean everyone has to go and get visas. 39,000 passengers used TWOV last year in China, including pax on the same sort of itinerary as the OP. Passengers shouldn't have to go to additional expense because of airline error.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Having an "official" stopover over 48 hours at NRT still doesn't avoid problems with airline agents not letting one board for TWOV.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 3:18 pm

AAgent saw OP is not transiting to 3rd country as OP was ticketed back to origin country (US) via NRT as a connection and not a stopover and thus denied boarding as OP didn't qualify for TVOW and didn't have a Chinese visa.

I've been following this thread as I'm planning to enter China using the TWOV rules in a couple of weeks. Fortunately my itinerary is more straightforward than the OPs.

The common english language definition of the word transit is simply "the act or fact of passing across or through; passage from one place to another." There is nothing in the definition that refers to a particular length of time. While the airlines may have conditioned us otherwise, why would China's immigration policy refer to airline jargon rather than the basic definition of the word?
Old Apr 27, 2017, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)

Indeed the AAgent saw NRT was a transit, but that doesn't invalidate TWOV from the Chinese perspective.

MEL-PVG-HKG-MEL (HKG 2 hours) is fine. MEL-PVG-BKK-MEL (BKK four hours) is fine. SYD-HKG-PVG-SYD (HKG 14 hours) is fine. All accepted for travel by QF, CX, TG, QF respectively.

Regardless of the AAgent's interpretation, AA had a number of other options to assist the OP... calling their own office in China, calling Shanghai immigration, asking the passenger to sign an indemnity, selling the passenger a fully refundable PVG-HKG-PVG flight rather than a change the current ticket with high change fees.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 3:57 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
BTW- one other thing, all the hyptheticals about what if this flight is cancelled or that one rerouted or whatever... You know what the answer is, because I once asked? It is that you are in the country lawfully but need to actually go apply for a visa, which they allow you to do while you are there. Nobody gets fined or deported for this. A colleague who got sick and couldn't travel did this.

While NooBs who have never used this (or maybe even left the US) get their underwear in a bunch trying to do mental gymnastics imposing meanings on words that differ from China's policy, it is plain as day that this is an intended way (intended by the PRC govt) around having to get a visa for short stays. If you look at the history of it, it started in a couple of provinces and has been so successful at raking in $$ they have expanded it.

The problem here is not the policy and not even the intent, it is that the silly tool that US carriers rely on is not semantically interoperable with the China TWOV policy. And so to properly assess validity of travel to China without a visa from the US, the airline agent needs to do something that to them (and anyone slavishly insisting that "destination" means what it means to IATA and not simple a "third region" as China means) looks unnatural and potentially put the third region in as a destination- even if it is only a "connection" under IATA terms.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by stephem
While NooBs who have never used this (or maybe even left the US) get their underwear in a bunch trying to do mental gymnastics imposing meanings on words that differ from China's policy, it is plain as day that this is an intended way (intended by the PRC govt) around having to get a visa for short stays. If you look at the history of it, it started in a couple of provinces and has been so successful at raking in $$ they have expanded it.

The problem here is not the policy and not even the intent, it is that the silly tool that US carriers rely on is not semantically interoperable with the China TWOV policy. And so to properly assess validity of travel to China without a visa from the US, the airline agent needs to do something that to them (and anyone slavishly insisting that "destination" means what it means to IATA and not simple a "third region" as China means) looks unnatural and potentially put the third region in as a destination- even if it is only a "connection" under IATA terms.
Well US carriers do use Timatic which is based on information provided by the Chinese representatives to the IATA. Timatic is not used only by American carriers but by a number of carriers around the world. Absence some clarification from the Chinese representative to Timatic, AA agents, like many other airlines, will continue to have the same issues with the terms in Timatic.

As for noobs applying the common understanding of terms ... it may be that some of those noobs have lived in several countries, flown millions of miles, and might even have some knowledge of China and Chinese government methods of communication.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 4:40 pm
Suspended

...As for noobs applying the common understanding of terms ... it may be that some of those noobs have lived in several countries, flown millions of miles, and might even have some knowledge of China and Chinese government methods of communication.
^
Old Apr 27, 2017, 4:49 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Regardless of the AAgent's interpretation, AA had a number of other options to assist the OP... calling their own office in China, calling Shanghai immigration, asking the passenger to sign an indemnity, selling the passenger a fully refundable PVG-HKG-PVG flight rather than a change the current ticket with high change fees.
Are there even phones capable of doing international calls at the check-in stations? (even simple US domestic call)
And I wonder if calling any gov. agency in China is like calling the IRS. Does ever a real person answer the phone and someone fluent in English? And what about time difference?

Also, I did not know the check-in agents have readily available "indemnity" forms under the counter or even have the ability the create one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.