FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   144 TWOV China- AA Issues/Questions (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1837368-144-twov-china-aa-issues-questions.html)

pmblinn Apr 21, 2017 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach (Post 28211558)
I know I come to FlyerTalk to learn from other peoples' travel stories. I appreciate your taking the time to bring your unfortunate and frustrating experience to our attention.

I have learned a lot from reading this thread. Yes, the TWOV as you described is possible and yes, people do it all the time, but if in some future trip I wish to avoid the 2 hours wasted, and hundreds of dollars in hotel reservation charges, excursion costs, extra parking, etc., I will just go to the extra trouble and expense of getting a visa in advance.

Again, thank you for saving me some amount of hassle and expense in the future.

Best post of the whole thread. Would take less time to get the visa by mail (through a service) than to read the thread. The peace of mind is priceless.

pbd456 Apr 21, 2017 3:47 pm

the other get away is that if i have a free weekend, and a cheap fare, i can hope to book a trip, and hope to get denied boarding for a full refund and 50k miles for compensation.

JonNYC Apr 21, 2017 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by pbd456 (Post 28212275)
the other get away is that if i have a free weekend, and a cheap fare, i can hope to book a trip, and hope to get denied boarding for a full refund and 50k miles for compensation.

No ya can't.

nutwpinut Apr 21, 2017 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by pmblinn (Post 28212223)
Best post of the whole thread. Would take less time to get the visa by mail (through a service) than to read the thread. The peace of mind is priceless.

What peace of mind?

The peace of mind of buying non-refundable airplane tickets and hoping I get the visa and don't get denied.

Buying refundable airplane tickets and once accepted turn around and buy refundable airlines tickets instead and worry that AA thinking that I'm gaming the system since I bought tickets without intending to use them. Speaking on a separate topic, does AA frown on this?

<Addendum>
I need to proof read a little bit more before posting :)
I'm talking about the Visa application. I don't have peace of mind having to worry about getting my VISA application denied and thus having to forfeit my tickets and trip.

pmblinn Apr 21, 2017 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by nutwpinut (Post 28212303)
What peace of mind?

The peace of mind of buying non-refundable airplane tickets and hoping I get the visa and don't get denied.

Buying refundable airplane tickets and once accepted turn around and buy refundable airlines tickets instead and worry that AA thinking that I'm gaming the system since I bought tickets without intending to use them. Speaking on a separate topic, does AA frown on this?

I don't believe anyone is proffering evidence that they have been denied boarding OR entry with a valid Chinese visa. Get the visa, get peace of mind.

JonNYC Apr 21, 2017 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by nutwpinut (Post 28212303)
...AA thinking that I'm gaming the system since I bought tickets without intending to use them. Speaking on a separate topic, does AA frown on this?

Intensely.

nutwpinut Apr 21, 2017 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by pmblinn (Post 28212365)
I don't believe anyone is proffering evidence that they have been denied boarding OR entry with a valid Chinese visa. Get the visa, get peace of mind.

I don't think you understand. You can't apply for a Chinese VISA without having an airline ticket first. I'm worried of having my VISA application denied and thus having to forfeit my airlines tickets and trip.

nutwpinut Apr 21, 2017 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC (Post 28212401)
Intensely.

Thanks JonNYC. I figured as much and have not done it. It's what's keeping me from doing MRs to countries that require a VISA. I'm worried of booking a flight and then having my VISA application denied and then losing out on the flight tickets.

pmblinn Apr 21, 2017 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by nutwpinut (Post 28212412)
I don't think you understand. You can't get a Chinese VISA without having an airline ticket first. I'm worried of having my VISA application denied and thus having to forfeit my airlines tickets and trip.

Not true. China visa application asks about your destination in the country, not your travel plans TO there. You can apply before or after you book travel.

With a 10-yr visa, what does it even matter?

nutwpinut Apr 21, 2017 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by pmblinn (Post 28212435)
Not true. China visa application asks about your destination in the country, not your travel plans TO there. You can apply before or after you book travel.

That's news to me. Is that the case? Because all the documentation I have found asks for a booking as part of the documentation.

http://www.china-embassy.org/eng/visas/hrsq/#L

6. Documents showing the itinerary including air ticket booking record (round trip) and proof of a hotel reservation, etc. or an invitation letter issued by a relevant entity or individual in China. The invitation letter should contain:
A. Information on the applicant (full name, gender, date of birth, etc.)
B. Information on the planned visit (arrival and departure dates, place(s) to be visited, etc.)
C. Information on the inviting entity or individual (name, contact telephone number, address, official stamp, signature of the legal representative or the inviting individual)

moondog Apr 21, 2017 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by nutwpinut (Post 28212412)
I don't think you understand. You can't apply for a Chinese VISA without having an airline ticket first. I'm worried of having my VISA application denied and thus having to forfeit my airlines tickets and trip.

This is off topic so I'll keep my reply brief, but if you book a ticket on aa.com, hold it, and print the receipt, you'll be good on the airplane ticket requirement (for obtaining an L visa).

pmblinn Apr 21, 2017 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by nutwpinut (Post 28212460)
That's news to me. Is that the case? Because all the documentation I have found asks for a booking as part of the documentation.

http://www.china-embassy.org/eng/visas/hrsq/#L

From personal experience, YMMV, I have provided only the hotel name and address as the inviting entity. Hotel reservations can be canceled without charge. Zero airline info. Between my wife and I we have applied 6 times (from back when the visas were one-year) and have never been declined a visa.

moondog Apr 21, 2017 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by pbd456 (Post 28212275)

If you threaten to sue them for breach of contract, I suppose anything is possible, but probably not worth the hassel.

carlosdca Apr 21, 2017 4:55 pm

So what's the point of this thread now?

There are two issues here:

1. It seems clear that one can go to China for 144 hrs without a VISA as long as the return stops somewhere (even for 1 second) other than the country of origin . GOT IT!

2. AA personnel at international getaways are not trained well enough :rolleyes:, AA sucks :rolleyes:, it has been reported by the OP and other posters that AA airport agents are useless and can't understand item #1 above and in many occasions have denied boarding to pax that had a valid itinerary to visit China without VISA.

It is pointless to validate over and over #1 . We get it loud and clear.

I don't get the point of complaining endlessly about #2 and making a point that AA agents are lame, poorly trained, (insert your insult of choice), etc.

All we can say is that if you are going to try to use the 144 rule to stay in China without a visa, there is a risk that AA airports agents will deny someone boarding (WRONGLY, YES, WE GET IT). It is a risk. Options? Take the risk, sue AA, do it in purpose to get compensation after the fact, get a VISA, fly another carrier that do not bat an eye at itineraries like the OP's, perhaps get a life already?

Thread should be closed, other than to learn about the outcome of the OP's request for refund, compensation, etc. No?

gengar Apr 21, 2017 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF (Post 28212007)
Which is possibly a good option for US citizens wanting to minimise risk.

But plenty of non-US citizens on these boards for whom a 10 year visa is not an option... and visas need to be applied for at least annually (more in the first year as you build up eligibility).

TWOV saves a lot of time and money for those of us without the 10 year option.

Not to mention that the bigger issue for AA is that pax will read these threads about AA's incompetence and avoid AA, instead taking a carrier that doesn't irresponsibly deny boarding to pax with valid travel itineraries. Sure, some AA loyalists will opt for the $150 to cover for AA's ignorance and ineptitude, but many others won't - FT'ers have certainly gone to greater lengths for less than $150 in value.

In any case, this is a massive customer service failure on the part of AA, full stop.