Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

OW carriers where AAdvantage awards get MCE?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OW carriers where AAdvantage awards get MCE?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2017, 3:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by sdsearch
American Airlines itself is not even that carrier, unless you have Platinum status or above, or are using an AAnytime award.

AA Golds cannot choose MCE on SAAver award seats (except maybe at check-in time?), not even if they wish to pay! (It's not a policy, it's an IT glitch which appears hard to fix.)

(While you may be AA Plat, this is a thread which will be read by others who may not be.)
seriously, how hard can that glitch be to fix? I've worked in IT before and I've already lost count of the times I've had to facepalm when I hear things are hard to fix. Nothing is that hard to fix. It's more that AA doesn't care to fix their infrastructure.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 3:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by matrixwalker2012
seriously, how hard can that glitch be to fix? I've worked in IT before and I've already lost count of the times I've had to facepalm when I hear things are hard to fix. Nothing is that hard to fix. It's more that AA doesn't care to fix their infrastructure.
I believe that is not a glitch but is deliberate due to the additional taxes that would have to be calculated and charged if AA was to take payment for the flight.

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Ironically, if you're Alaska MVP Gold or Gold 75K, you also get MCE on coach redemptions on AA for free... using AA or AS miles. So they do better than AA Golds here.
MVP gold does not seem to be the equivalent of AA Gold, but more equivalent to AA Platinum

AS MVP seems to the the equivalent of AA Gold

AA Platinum members do get MCE for no charge on economy class redemption bookings
Old Apr 16, 2017, 3:43 pm
Suspended

...(It's not a policy, it's an IT glitch which appears hard to fix.)
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I believe that is not a glitch but is deliberate due to the additional taxes that would have to be calculated and charged if AA was to take payment for the flight.
It's somewhere in-between; it's not a "glitch" in the way that I think of the word being correctly used, but it's not "deliberate" either-- it's something they want to fix, intend to fix and -will- fix, just that their IT isn't up to it at present. So, it's a technical limitation of their current technology, I wouldn't call that a glitch, but not something they don't very much want to fix either-- they do and they will, just a matter of when.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 5:37 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plt
Originally Posted by Dave Noble

AA Platinum members do get MCE for no charge on economy class redemption bookings
Quick clarification: Is this for the elite passenger alone or does status "transfer" to the person who is flying the award flight? In other words, can I as an AA Ex Plt send my no AA status mom on an award in an MCE seat? (apologies for nooby-type Q)

Thanks

Cheers
Old Apr 16, 2017, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by thegrailer
Quick clarification: Is this for the elite passenger alone or does status "transfer" to the person who is flying the award flight? In other words, can I as an AA Ex Plt send my no AA status mom on an award in an MCE seat? (apologies for nooby-type Q)
One of the passengers in the booking has to have OW Sapphire or higher status
Old Apr 16, 2017, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's a glitch within their whole purchase / accounting / taxing system. It sounds like a complicated incompatibility between different systems. The purchase of an MCE seat would incur sales taxes, but they're incapable of assessing sales taxes from you on ancillary purchases tied to an award redemption. (Awards incur other taxes and fees, but no sales tax.)

Keep in mind that AA has the oldest IT in the industry. When they debuted it in the 80s, that was great. Now it cripples them. It took them half a decade or more from when they first thought about making Million Miler not count all miles from all sources before (in Dec 2011) they finally got it done. That too was very slow in coming (good for us, but perhaps bad for AA) because the archaic IT was so hard to change. (Luckily their "desires" to fix were "leaked" on FT multiple times, and so some us were able to plan for it happening someday, and so Dec 2011 for experienced FTers was just a declaration of a date, but a change in the policy itself had long been forecast.)

And the IT had no problem in this area until they debuted MCE and came up with Golds having 1/2 price access at booking time. It's the 1/2 price (or full price for no-status people) that they can't charge on an award.

But completely rewriting their IT systems would be an enormous task too. And if its only breaking on "side" issues like MCE seats for Gold on SAAver awards or how Million Miler is computed, but keeps the planes running, maybe you can see why they'd rather not break it (by trying to replace it) if it mostly works.

They could come up with roundabout solutions (giving Golds -- or for that matter anyone with no status too -- MCE access on awards with some extra miles used instead of money, or something), but they haven't gotten that creative.

Last edited by sdsearch; Apr 16, 2017 at 8:32 pm
Old Apr 16, 2017, 9:02 pm

It's a glitch within their whole purchase / accounting / taxing system. It sounds like a complicated incompatibility between different systems. The purchase of an MCE seat would incur sales taxes, but they're incapable of assessing sales taxes from you on ancillary purchases tied to an award redemption. (Awards incur other taxes and fees, but no sales tax.)
It is not sales tax that is an issue, it is the other taxes associated with the flight that are not collected normally on an award

e.g.
MIA-ORD : normal taxes $23.41 ; taxes paid on award $5.60. Not only would the seat fee need to be collected , but the additional $17.81 in taxes that are waived when no charge is made for the flight

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.