Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

"We're not allowed to give out bottles of water (in FC)?"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2017, 2:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum

Tonight I'm flying a red eye from LAS to PHL, a flight I've taken fairly often over the years. I'm thirsty and after asking for 2 or 3 glasses of ice water early in the flight I ask the FC attendant "could you please give me a bottle of water?" I've never asked before but have had the experience of numerous FC attendants just bringing me a bottle in similar situations on long flights, especially red eyes.

But this person tells me AA does not allow it. In FC? Huh? She says instead she'll stop by frequently to refill my glass. She fills it once, then now has gone at least 90 minutes without even poking her head into the darkened cabin. Turned my light on to hopefully give her a hint if she wakes up before we're ready to land. Have others experienced this policy? Times so tough for AA that 79 cent bottles of water threaten the bottom line?
Old Apr 3, 2017, 2:53 am

Programs: AA PPro, 1MM
Originally Posted by RunningLateAgain
Tonight I'm flying a red eye from LAS to PHL, a flight I've taken fairly often over the years. I'm thirsty and after asking for 2 or 3 glasses of ice water early in the flight I ask the FC attendant "could you please give me a bottle of water?" I've never asked before but have had the experience of numerous FC attendants just bringing me a bottle in similar situations on long flights, especially red eyes.

But this person tells me AA does not allow it. In FC? Huh? She says instead she'll stop by frequently to refill my glass. She fills it once, then now has gone at least 90 minutes without even poking her head into the darkened cabin. Turned my light on to hopefully give her a hint if she wakes up before we're ready to land. Have others experienced this policy? Times so tough for AA that 79 cent bottles of water threaten the bottom line?
As you noted, I've also had flight attendants proactively offer me the whole bottle on redeyes, as recently as a month ago. In all of those cases, though, I was the only (or close to only) passenger in F/J who was awake.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 2:57 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
It may be that they catered a limited number of bottles on the flight.

Just ring your call button, or go up to the galley.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 8:00 am

Programs: AAdvantage
While unpleasant, at best we're catered 16 bottles of water, two of which are designated for the flight deck (they've worked that guarantee into their contract.) The A321 has 16 seats in FC, so the water can deplete fast, especially coming out of a desert city like LAS. The FA was totally in the wrong though, not checking up on you frequently as promised. I've worked flights where the lead FA will give out water bottle, then will come later into the back galley panicked looking for more, when we're almost out as well, because they limit our catering in the back. What it boils down to is AA being cheap about catering, and the FAs get the brunt of it.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by PhillipTaylor
While unpleasant, at best we're catered 16 bottles of water, two of which are designated for the flight deck (they've worked that guarantee into their contract.) The A321 has 16 seats in FC, so the water can deplete fast, especially coming out of a desert city like LAS. The FA was totally in the wrong though, not checking up on you frequently as promised. I've worked flights where the lead FA will give out water bottle, then will come later into the back galley panicked looking for more, when we're almost out as well, because they limit our catering in the back. What it boils down to is AA being cheap about catering, and the FAs get the brunt of it.
This is insightful - thanks for providing!
Old Apr 3, 2017, 8:57 am
Suspended

^
Old Apr 3, 2017, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Make a suggestion. Cater enough bottles for one per FC passenger (and crew). Then cater a couple of the bigger bottles. As people drink, simply refill. I've had this process in J and F on international carriers and it works well. Also reduces waste, since there's less bottles.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 9:54 am

That can't be true; FAs have given me those huge Aquarius bottled a few times in Economy, as they usually have plenty on board...
Old Apr 3, 2017, 10:00 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
On my recent OGG-DFW flight, every passenger in FC was provided a bottle of water immediately after meal service. The FC cabin was full.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 10:03 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by controller1
On my recent OGG-DFW flight, every passenger in FC was provided a bottle of water immediately after meal service. The FC cabin was full.
I have gotten my own bottle (at seat upon boarding) on 3/3 redeyes from Hawaii. Maybe there are extra bottles catered for these routes?
Old Apr 3, 2017, 10:05 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by andox
I have gotten my own bottle (at seat upon boarding) on 3/3 redeyes from Hawaii. Maybe there are extra bottles catered for these routes?
Same here. Sometimes they are in the seat when we board. Other times they are distributed after meal service.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 10:21 am

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold

The Flight Attendant is well within his/her rights to choose not to provide you a bottle of water.

You, as the passenger, are well within your rights to reach up and push the call button every 20 minutes if you are thirsty.

Last edited by jcatman; Apr 3, 2017 at 10:24 am Reason: grammar
Old Apr 3, 2017, 11:36 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Make a suggestion. Cater enough bottles for one per FC passenger (and crew). Then cater a couple of the bigger bottles. As people drink, simply refill. I've had this process in J and F on international carriers and it works well. Also reduces waste, since there's less bottles.
It has been suggested before and they always come up with some lame excuse such as it looks better if we hand a glass of water versus handing a bottle. However, they give us little bottles to hand out on transoceanic, so their excuses don't match up. I know a major hurdle right now is catering, the worst cities with catering are DFW followed by LAX, our own hubs. But I know if it'll save Doug just one cent, he'll go with whatever is cheaper. :/

Originally Posted by controller1
Hawaii is treated a little more premium. Just like OGG-DFW has a complimentary meal service in coach.

Last edited by JY1024; Apr 3, 2017 at 5:44 pm Reason: Merged consecutive posts
Old Apr 3, 2017, 2:00 pm
Suspended

It has been suggested before and they always come up with some lame excuse such as it looks better if we hand a glass of water versus handing a bottle. However, they give us little bottles to hand out on transoceanic, so their excuses don't match up. I know a major hurdle right now is catering, the worst cities with catering are DFW followed by LAX, our own hubs. But I know if it'll save Doug just one cent, he'll go with whatever is cheaper. :/
You're posts are very refreshing-- thanks for sharing your insights!
Old Apr 3, 2017, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by JonNYC
You're posts are very refreshing-- thanks for sharing your insights!
Indeed. I hope you stick around! I hope Phillip Taylor isn't your real name in case AA public relations lurkers are around...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.