Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: LFBU / DODU: Space-available, counter, kiosk, and online upgrade (consol)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: LFBU / DODU: Space-available, counter, kiosk, and online upgrade (consol)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2013, 1:58 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by cedricgerald
The upgrade "button" on the screen used to be larger, this time I almost missed it, partially due that the AA agent taking care of the kiosks told me that they were no upgrade available....
It is frustrating sometimes that upgrades at foreign airports can be available either as part of the LFBU program, or as part of the IAU program, but that only the kiosks can handle LFBUs, and only certain staff at certain foreign airports can handle/offer IAUs. A small issue, I know, but it would be nice to see it all consolidated at some point such that either upgrade can be sold by either method.
Old Nov 23, 2013, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by ExpatExp
It is frustrating sometimes that upgrades at foreign airports can be available either as part of the LFBU program, or as part of the IAU program, but that only the kiosks can handle LFBUs, and only certain staff at certain foreign airports can handle/offer IAUs. A small issue, I know, but it would be nice to see it all consolidated at some point such that either upgrade can be sold by either method.
thank you What is IAU ? Airport upgrade offered by an agent . At CDG they used to be sometimes available at about EURO 350
Old Nov 23, 2013, 6:29 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
For reference: IAU = International Airport Upgrade

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...not-lfbus.html
Old Nov 23, 2013, 9:38 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by cedricgerald
It was euro 441 or 442.

Last year I paid a little less than euro 400, (can't remeber the precise price) for cdg-mia. Believe it was usd 500 converted in euro + chirac/luxury tax.

This time I don't know where euro 441 were coming from.

BTW 3 J seats were empy on this flight. The upgrade "button" on the screen used to be larger, this time I almost missed it, partially due that the AA agent taking care of the kiosks told me that they were no upgrade available....
I remember last year they were offering the CDG-MIA and CDG-DFW for 397 Euros, taxes included, and yes, it was exactly 500 USD + luxury tax. 441 Seems to be an odd price.

You mentioned it was in the Kiosks. Since they moved the PriorityAccess checkin downstairs, I've never seen the Kiosks. Do you just use the ones in the main check-in area, and if so, how did you manage to cut the line?

My next AA flight is in coach and would be interesting to stop by the Kiosk and see if they offer an upgrade.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 3:58 am

Originally Posted by B7e7US
I remember last year they were offering the CDG-MIA and CDG-DFW for 397 Euros, taxes included, and yes, it was exactly 500 USD + luxury tax. 441 Seems to be an odd price.

You mentioned it was in the Kiosks. Since they moved the PriorityAccess checkin downstairs, I've never seen the Kiosks. Do you just use the ones in the main check-in area, and if so, how did you manage to cut the line?

My next AA flight is in coach and would be interesting to stop by the Kiosk and see if they offer an upgrade.
Very good question : I did make the Y line. I explained them that I'm plat and just wanted to check if the kiosk has upgrade but they told me to make the line. (After asking me first what is a kiosk....)

You're correct no kiosk at the premium check in., an agent told me that they take care of the pax so there is no kiosk. ( Whatever that means)
Old Nov 27, 2013, 7:35 pm

upgraded at kiosk on ba award ticket

Sorry, I know there is a thread out there already about this, I just can't find it searching on my phone...mods, please roll this new thread into that one. I checked in on a BA award ticket on AA at the kiosk, like I should, assuming I would get the upgrade offer. I got it, hit the button as I've done before and was put on the standby list (par for the course). Enjoyed the Centurion lounge for awhile, then proceeded to my gate. Once there, I realized the gate had changed (literally, 1 min before arrival at the gate), so I hopped the skylink with other passengers to the next gate. On my way there, I pull up my res to see if I have been cleared, and I see I'm sitting in 6E. Cool. Get to new gate, take my boarding pass up and ask for a new one (I see my name on the board, and I've cleared). I'm told, not exactly pleasantly, that award tickets can't be upgraded and whoever I spoke to made a mistake. I said I spoke to nobody. They said I had to speak to somebody and they put me on the upgrade list incorrectly. I said I simply checked in at the kiosk and this isn't the first time I've gotten upgraded on award ticket when 1st is so wide open. In the end, they made the accomodation, but I'm curious, I could have sworn I read that this is what AA does, and that it really shouldn't be revoked. I think they would have revoked it had I not pressed the issue, but without knowing for sure, I'm questioning what I read previously. Who is right (and I apologize if I am wrong and pressed the issue incorrectly)?
Old Nov 27, 2013, 7:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Award tickets cannot be upgraded.
Old Nov 27, 2013, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by PainCorp
So, this is a system issue and should not be happening, but it does, and causes issues b/c AA agents don't know and clear people?
Old Nov 27, 2013, 7:46 pm

This appears to be a "problem" with AA awards booked using BA Avios.

I recently flown on such an award ticket and was given the option to upgrade by the kiosk. I selected to be on the waitlist and it cleared me into F, and I flown in F.

It was a short BOS-ORD flight, so this wasn't a huge score. I was more interested in the fact that it worked than that I got upgraded.

However, notwithstanding such bugs, generally, AA award tickets cannot be upgraded with domestic upgrades.
Old Nov 27, 2013, 7:46 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
This has happened to me before, and I was able to upgrade YYZ to LGA as a result. The good ol' days... before EXP was called "Dougie's Preferred."
Old Nov 27, 2013, 8:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
- About 4 (?) years ago three of us (all EXP) were flying on MileSaver Y award to LIR through MIA (at that time FL at MIA was still open). At the airport kiosk I got an offer to upgrade award ticket for $90 for the flight to MIA. I did not take on the offer. At the gate all three of us were put in F - the coach was really full on that flight.
Old Nov 27, 2013, 10:01 pm

Programs: AA Bonsai EXP (2.9 MM), AS MVPG
Incorrect as a blanket statement such as yours. Award tickets for elite members can be upgraded (I've done it myself). Please see the following thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

Originally Posted by AA FAQs
Q: As an AAdvantage elite member traveling on an award
ticket, can I use the Confirmed Upgrade option?
A: If the Confirmed Upgrade option is available on a flight for
which you are using an AAdvantage award ticket, then it will be
offered when you check in using the Self-Service machine
Originally Posted by Alex_I
- About 4 (?) years ago three of us (all EXP) were flying on MileSaver Y award to LIR through MIA (at that time FL at MIA was still open). At the airport kiosk I got an offer to upgrade award ticket for $90 for the flight to MIA. I did not take on the offer. At the gate all three of us were put in F - the coach was really full on that flight.
You were offered a load factor based upgrade (see above). This is different than OP's upgrade offer, which was EXP complimentary upgrade. Your upgrade offer was consistent with AA's program; OP's offer was a glitch.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 6:49 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
For those with long tenure but short memories, we have a TOS on FT and it stipulates treating others with respect and not making personal attacks. If you feel you must not be helpful and you must badger others, as B. Traven never said (but the TOS kind of do) "We don't need badgering".

Mrgolfer21, we have now merged your threadlet into the LFBU thread. Thanks for reporting your experience here.

/Moderator
Old Nov 28, 2013, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
A few more data points. Me: no status, AAdvantage member. Friend: nothing.

MCO-MIA: LFBU at Kiosk for $48
MIA-PTY: LFBU at Kiosk for $165.

We turned down MCO-MIA because it is a short flight and we sat across the aisle from each other with middle seats open.

We took the MIA-PTY upgrade. Less than 24 hours before departure, I saw 10 seats open (via seating chart). First/Business left with 2 seats empty.

I usually fly DL but the forward cabin is always full. I like the idea of being able to pay for an upgrade at a relatively reasonable rate.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA ex-Plat
Originally Posted by AndyTLe
A few more data points. Me: no status, AAdvantage member. Friend: nothing.

MCO-MIA: LFBU at Kiosk for $48
MIA-PTY: LFBU at Kiosk for $165.

We turned down MCO-MIA because it is a short flight and we sat across the aisle from each other with middle seats open.

We took the MIA-PTY upgrade. Less than 24 hours before departure, I saw 10 seats open (via seating chart). First/Business left with 2 seats empty.

I usually fly DL but the forward cabin is always full. I like the idea of being able to pay for an upgrade at a relatively reasonable rate.
Interesting ... it seems to be going for $48/500 miles instead of $45/500 per post #1, based on the MCO-MIA offer. But looking at MIA-PTY, 1,151 mi = 3 stickers, should be $135, but at $165 works out to $55/500 miles.

Personally, I'd rather see the upgrades offered at the pro-rata portion of actual BIS miles * $45/500, but I know that won't happen. Short of that, I was OK with the $45/500 original scheme. Now we have an example where prices are variable based on city pair, and higher than the original LFBUs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.