Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: LFBU / DODU: Space-available, counter, kiosk, and online upgrade (consol)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: LFBU / DODU: Space-available, counter, kiosk, and online upgrade (consol)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2010, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by acf2310
Many thanks to you all for taking the time to help! As I'm only just starting out with points etc I suspect the best route will be to book in the higher class and build them up that way to start with.
One option, depending on how many miles you currently have.
It is possible to buy miles at 55000 for just over $1000. This is with the promo to get a 15K bonus to buy 40K. If you have 0 miles, buy 40K for you, 40K for a friend. Then you can get business class to Europe for 50K each way.
Possibly too late for you, but it might help for other travel plans. So, yes, for under $2k, you can fly business class roundtrip from the US to Europe, including partner travel. Is this a deal or what?
Old Mar 31, 2010, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by mvoight
It is possible to buy miles at 55000 for just over $1000. This is with the promo to get a 15K bonus to buy 40K. If you have 0 miles, buy 40K for you, 40K for a friend. Then you can get business class to Europe for 50K each way.
Possibly too late for you, but it might help for other travel plans. So, yes, for under $2k, you can fly business class roundtrip from the US to Europe, including partner travel. Is this a deal or what?
+ taxes, and, of course, subject to award availability (which is not currently available on the dates the OP wants to travel)
Old Mar 31, 2010, 8:07 am

Programs: AA GLD (1MM), Hyatt PLT, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
and don't forget if you do get an upgrade out of Manchester you will get nailed for an additional $70 in Air Passenger Duty for flying in a "luxury" cabin.

How people can get confused about upgrades offered at check-in at MAN is that when MAN-BOS was flown with a domestic 757 it was sold as single class. If you had status you could book the big seats up front but the service was the same. If it wasn't full up front they would offer the seats at check-in for 100UKP. I saw this a lot on MAN-BOS but never on the MAN-ORD 763.

I did ask once about a paid upgrade on the 763 to ORD but there was no chance unless I wanted to use miles+co-pay. Had a really nice chat with the lady on the ticket desk who turned out to also be the gate agent. Five minutes before boarding she came over and gave me new boarding cards for me and my daughter. She op-upped us into J. The one and only TATL op-up I ever have had.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 9:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by mvoight
All correct and good advice but the chances of finding a Milesaaver J award seat on any of the 757 TATL flights are pretty slim. I haven't actually yet seen an available seat for the whole of the 2010 timetable on either MAN-ORD or MAN-JFK. Of course, AAnytime awards are there but cost double those miles.

On the plus side for the OP - MAN-JFK is a relatively short flight so Economy isn't going to be completely intolerable.

Finally, AA are currently offering 1-way Business class to JFK from MAN in August for £712 (just over $1,000) or £691 from LHR including all taxes and that fare can be combined with a Y return at a later date.

Last edited by Blueboys999; Mar 31, 2010 at 10:02 pm
Old Apr 3, 2010, 6:15 pm

upgrade for purchase

Flying from JFK to St Lucia in July

Normally fly US Air which offers upgrades to go for purchase. Does AA have a similiar program that I can purchase an upgrade to first class on the day of my flight?
Old Apr 3, 2010, 6:26 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
LFBU or Load-Factor Based upgrades are sometimes offered ONLY via the check-in kiosk on the day of departure. This is provided that the airline wishes to sell them, and that there is significant enough availability at the time of check-in. YMMV, but in my experience I would not get my hopes up for an upgrade on a flight like this.
The other option is to purchase miles on aa.com and upgrade that route, depending on how much money you wish to spend.
Old Apr 3, 2010, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Gleefan1, Welcome to FT

You'll find a lot of great information here, including the answer to your question, by looking the wiki, which includes a discussion of day of departure paid upgrades.
Old Apr 3, 2010, 6:29 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Welcome to FT. Consider using miles+copay to upgrade your ticket. As demkr stated, it is unlikely LFBU will be offered on this route. An upgrade will require 15,000 miles plus $50 charge.
Old Apr 3, 2010, 8:48 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
Originally Posted by AAerSTL
Welcome to FT. Consider using miles+copay to upgrade your ticket. As demkr stated, it is unlikely LFBU will be offered on this route. An upgrade will require 15,000 miles plus $50 charge.
I BELIEVE this destination (by AA standards) is Caribbean rather than Central America. If true, that's now 15k + $75 co-pay for the upgrade...
Old Apr 3, 2010, 9:25 pm

Programs: AA Advantage XPLAT, United
Question Kiosk purchased upgrade ORD-PEK Econ to bus

ORD-PEK late April
Any idea if there are empty seats, and it looks like there are many...as this is a new route, how much AA would charge to upgrade to Bus class at kiosk for non elite flyer. I found "For international flights a flat rate of $500-$1,000," but I don't how accurate that is. Or if there's a way to estimate what it would actully be if the opportunity presents itself.
Old Apr 3, 2010, 11:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
Originally Posted by Madison Guy
I BELIEVE this destination (by AA standards) is Caribbean rather than Central America. If true, that's now 15k + $75 co-pay for the upgrade...
nope!! it's $50 for Caribbean, see:
http://www.aa.com/pubcontent/en_US/d...rade-chart.jsp

this results in a strange policy, e.g. I recently gave 15k miles to upgrade a colleague SFO-JFK-PAP, with $50 copay. If he were going to JFK only, it would have been $75 copay!! crazy...
Old Apr 4, 2010, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Charles847
ORD-PEK late April
Any idea if there are empty seats, and it looks like there are many...as this is a new route, how much AA would charge to upgrade to Bus class at kiosk for non elite flyer. I found "For international flights a flat rate of $500-$1,000," but I don't how accurate that is. Or if there's a way to estimate what it would actully be if the opportunity presents itself.
Last May someone posted that ORD-PVG offered a kiosk upgrade for $650.00 so I would suspect that PEK would be in the same range.

As for how to know if there is space available, check out expertflyer.com. It is paid service but has a free trial period and it provides far better information than just looking at the seat map.
Old Apr 4, 2010, 6:53 pm

Programs: DL DM; AS 75K; Marriott Titanium Elite
Buying Intl Gate Upgrade

I'll be flying DFW-GRU and back next month in Y. I was wondering if anyone knows the likelihood of gate upgrades being available for purchase, and if so, how much they run. According to the seat maps now (I know, not always the best to determine load), C is wide open on both flights. I've flown JFK-LHR a few times and $500 Y to C was offered almost every time, but I've heard other routes run more.
Old Apr 4, 2010, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by flightline87
I'll be flying DFW-GRU and back next month in Y. I was wondering if anyone knows the likelihood of gate upgrades being available for purchase, and if so, how much they run. According to the seat maps now (I know, not always the best to determine load), C is wide open on both flights. I've flown JFK-LHR a few times and $500 Y to C was offered almost every time, but I've heard other routes run more.
Hi, flightline87. Welcome to Flyertalk.

The answers to frequently asked questions are found in the Wiki, the FAQ, and the User's Guide. For LFBU, which you are asking, the answers in the Wiki are here, and the master thread is here.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 2:49 pm

Programs: AA ex-Plat
LFBU: points awarded for class flown not purchased

i was just curious about those that have received points based on class flown instead of class purchased -- which i know is a "mistake" -- but it happend to me on 2 different occasions while doing a gold/plat challenge.

1) i was flying in Q class, and got a paid LFBU to A class. the points credited for A. if cash is involved in the upgrade for non-elites (whether on a challenge or not), i wonder if the system consistently mistakenly awards the higher points or not?

2) weather cancelled the outbound legs of an O ticket i had, and i was rebooked into W. no cash involved, but i had them reroute me from JFK-DFW-LIT to JFK-LAX-DFW-LIT to get the extra points for the challenge. i received W credit for the rerouted legs instead of O.

i was happy and didn't complain, but wondered if there were consistent "mistakes" when these 2 types of situations occurred, or if i was just lucky twice in that one month?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.