Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: LFBU / DODU: Space-available, counter, kiosk, and online upgrade (consol)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: LFBU / DODU: Space-available, counter, kiosk, and online upgrade (consol)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2010, 10:32 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by CDKing
So is A the Fare Class for LBFU? My flight BOS-ORD for tomorrow morning shows X=1 and A=6? I would love to try out F on AA.
A can mean A lot (hehe) of things. It's the Fare Class for paid upgrades, mileage upgrades and SWU upgrades as well as the fare class for YUP fares. What you're seeing is most likely YUP fares. Still, try at the airport, you may get lucky.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FXEpilot77
I was on LAX-MIA today, and used 500 mile upgrades to get a seat in business. First ended up with several non-revs. I had checked-in online, but after landing, I wondered if I should have checked-in at the kiosk to see if it would have offered me an upgrade.

Anyway, just curious if this type of double-upgrade scenario ever happens.
The answer to almost any question that asks if something ever happens is yes. Is it supposed to happen? No. The kiosk should not offer you a LFBU to F if you are already upgraded to J.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 8:47 am

Just wondered if anyone has seen paid counter upgrades at NRT of late?

It has been a very long time since I have seen them...
Old Dec 8, 2010, 11:24 pm

Programs: UAL, AA, AS, CX
Paid gate Upgrades on Award tickets?

I thought there was a thread discussing this somewhere?

Does AA offer paid upgrades when your first ticketed on an award flight? Say Y to J? Specifically on international flight? I'll be on a Y paid ticket but my flight partner will use an award ticket and I'm Plat. Thx
Old Dec 8, 2010, 11:29 pm

Programs: AA:1MM
There have been kiosk upgrades made available to persons on award tickets in Y at points in the past. I personally have not experienced this, but others on the forum have.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 1:32 am

I think the thread you're looking for is

LFBU: Non-elite, space-available, counter and kiosk upgrades (consolidated)
Old Dec 9, 2010, 4:35 pm

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Upgrade proposes at CKI kiosk - purchasable before?

I have a ticket MIA-MCO-MIA in M class. When I checked in at a self service kiosk for the outbound flight the kiosk proposed an upgrade to First Class for only 45 USD, an offer which I accepted without hesitation. That then put me in A class.

I wanted to know whether there is any possibility to purchase that kind of upgrade for such a modest amount of money before going to the airport? Or is it only sold at the airport at the moment of check-in?

I have no status or miles with AA which is why this is a highly welcomed way to have a boarding pass in F and the fast lane access that comes with it.

Thanks for any hints
Old Dec 9, 2010, 4:39 pm

Programs: AA 1.5 MM Exec Plat, WN A-List, DL Silver, UA nonrev
It's called "Load Factor Based Upgrades (LFBU)"

More reading here:
http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index.php/Upgrades_(AA)

(Note: Only sold at kiosk. If you had declined at the kiosk, the gate AAgents would not have been able to make the same offer)
Old Dec 10, 2010, 12:58 pm

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; fr-fr) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

Thanks a lot. I am a newbie to AA so these hints are really appreciated.

One more question if I may: from when on are these upgrades made available? for instance, could I go to the airport the evening before departure (about 18-20 hours before departure) and get that upgrade from the kiosk? Or is it made available only shortly before departure?

Thanks
Old Dec 10, 2010, 2:18 pm

Programs: AA 1.5 MM Exec Plat, WN A-List, DL Silver, UA nonrev
Originally Posted by creber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; fr-fr) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

Thanks a lot. I am a newbie to AA so these hints are really appreciated.

One more question if I may: from when on are these upgrades made available? for instance, could I go to the airport the evening before departure (about 18-20 hours before departure) and get that upgrade from the kiosk? Or is it made available only shortly before departure?

Thanks
I've alerted the MODs to your duplicate posts so they can be removed.

There is no set time that these are made available. AA has programmed an algorithm that takes into account many factors. As the title suggests, it's based on flight loads. As such, it's not a set time (if at all).
Old Dec 12, 2010, 11:36 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by JHIN
Does AA offer paid upgrades when your first ticketed on an award flight? Say Y to J? Specifically on international flight? I'll be on a Y paid ticket but my flight partner will use an award ticket and I'm Plat. Thx
I can confirm that I was offered LFBU on milesaver domestic award yesterday when checking in.
Old Dec 25, 2010, 10:56 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HHonors Diamond
Kiosk upgrade

My wife and I are primarily UA travelers but we have an upcoming ORD to MBJ flight.

I am an AA platinum (match from UA 1k) and we are on award seats..

I read that sometimes the kiosks will do a pay for upgrade.... Is there anyway to see what the potential upgrade prices are, or can anyone even confirm that on award we'd even be eligible?

Should we not checkin online to get the opportunity?

Thx!!
Old Dec 25, 2010, 11:40 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Load Factor Based Upgrades (LFBU)

Domestic upgrades may sometimes be offered for purchase at check-in kiosks when enough premium seats are available to accommodate expected revenue passengers and elite upgrades. AA markets these as Confirmed Upgrades at a rate of $45 per 500-mile unit. These upgrades may be purchased by non-elites and by elites traveling on award tickets. International counter-purchased upgrades may also occasionally be available at some airports for limited flights. Several FlyerTalkers have reported upgrades being offered at kiosks for transatlantic flights at $500 and for transpacific flights at $650-750 ($1000 for an upgrade from J to F).
http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index...rades_%28AA%29

I don't do a lot of domestic award travel, but was offered an upgrade MIA-JFK when I checked in at the SFO kiosk (odd routing but only one with available seats). Perhaps someone with more experience with those can comment as to whether counter agents can offer them if you check in on-line.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 3:23 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by tom911
Perhaps someone with more experience with those can comment as to whether counter agents can offer them if you check in on-line.
No, these are strictly kiosk only.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 7:14 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by psubill78
My wife and I are primarily UA travelers but we have an upcoming ORD to MBJ flight.

I am an AA platinum (match from UA 1k) and we are on award seats..

I read that sometimes the kiosks will do a pay for upgrade.... Is there anyway to see what the potential upgrade prices are, or can anyone even confirm that on award we'd even be eligible?

Should we not checkin online to get the opportunity?

Thx!!
Welcome to the AA forum!

As mentioned by others, your only chance will be to check a kiosk to see if it offers you an upgrade opportunity. Good luck!

Your query has been merged with the existing consolidated thread on this topic. Thanks. /Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.