Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

No More "The Economist" at Admirals Clubs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No More "The Economist" at Admirals Clubs?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2017, 7:44 pm

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
I'm afraid TE has shifted rather to the macro side of economics while the populations seem to be more inclined to the micro side. Eg Brexit and Mr D. Trump.

OTOH TE seems to still have the best coverage of the developing world (in all aspects)

Happy wandering

Fred
Old Feb 10, 2017, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by DeweyCheathem
Good luck finding The Economist in Sprit's lounge. Or, for that matter, good luck finding any Spirit lounge.
I'll make a fort-lounge out of fellow Spirit passengers' luggage. And you can't come in. So there!
Old Feb 10, 2017, 10:00 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
For those of us that have moved into the 21st century, the Admirals Clubs do have PCs for web browsing, and The Economist DOES have a website.
Sorry, for me reading on a PC is fine for scanning news. For anything in depth, I need paper.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 10:32 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
Now you have me worried that they may no longer have Business Traveler.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 11:18 pm

Programs: AS 100K
Hey guys remember when this forum didn't immediately wade into the political? Let's not turn this into an aviation themed Facebook, please. @:-)
Old Feb 11, 2017, 12:12 am

Programs: DL DM, 1MM AA PLT 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, and...Smiles Diamante
That's disappointing. In the back of my mind I always thought this was one of the few good US Airways carryovers.

I suppose they will probably still have have 17,000 copies of Global Golf Industrialist available in each club.
Old Feb 11, 2017, 12:13 am

Programs: AAdvantage (Platinum)
I thought the magazine was way too verbose without conveying much info, as if the writers were paid by the word. Anyone who misses it can ask the lounge to switch the tv to pbs so they can watch the newshour.
Old Feb 11, 2017, 1:36 am

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
For those of us that have moved into the 21st century, the Admirals Clubs do have PCs for web browsing, and The Economist DOES have a website.
The website seems to limit you to a few articles per month, so it's not quite the same as a physical copy.
Old Feb 11, 2017, 11:16 am

Programs: AA EP
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
Recently I found out that the ACs have discontinued carrying The Economist as of the beginning of the year.

Personally I find it slight downgrade in the AC offerings, but, oh well... The remaining/current magazine selection is not very impressive IMHO.
The Economist is still available in PHX AC lounges as recently as of last Tuesday. That's the only magazine I would 'swipe' from the lounge.
Old Feb 11, 2017, 12:00 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
If anyone wishes to discuss the presumed political leanings or related issues of The Economist magazine, here's how:
  • Go to OMNI

• Advanced search, search titles only, reveal threads, keyword economist
You will find a number of threads discussing the magazine there; here, in the American Airlines | AAdvantage forum, your post will be summarily deleted. Thank you.

/Moderator
Old Feb 11, 2017, 12:10 pm

Programs: UA Plat
Originally Posted by AAerSTL
UA now has an app to use while in their clubs to access newspapers and magazines. Pretty good assortment IMO.
The app assortment is fine; it saves UA money but makes reading less comfortable and portable. The (print) Economist disappeared from United Clubs about 6 months ago. Switching to app-based magazines is certainly not for ecological reasons; there is still a plethora of available print Magazines No One Wants to Read. Seems to be a trend in a number of lounges.
Old Feb 11, 2017, 10:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by longnguk
The Economist is still available in PHX AC lounges as recently as of last Tuesday. That's the only magazine I would 'swipe' from the lounge.
Ditto CLT (Perhaps former US hubs are grandfathered?)
Old Feb 12, 2017, 10:15 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
& everything else

No more Economist? That is one of of a number of offerings which have disappeared from AC lounges:
- Perrier (remember when?)
-The Toronto Star (2016)
IMO, AC receives publishers# extras (which explains why The Economist was alwavs old!).
The good news? UA lounges still have it (IAD, for example).
Old Feb 13, 2017, 7:15 am

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
Iirc Magazines for miles allows you to redeem a paltry number of miles for your own subscription.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 9:50 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Vistana Chairman
Originally Posted by Mrp Alert
Iirc Magazines for miles allows you to redeem a paltry number of miles for your own subscription.
It is no longer offered on Magazines for Miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.