Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA award redemption within Africa (BA - Comair)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA award redemption within Africa (BA - Comair)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2017, 2:42 pm

Programs: AA EP
Yes. But honestly the fares can be cheap on many routes and redemption comes with some BA fuel surcharges -- so for me, it made sense to buy vs redeem. YMMV

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Trying to get around southern Africa. The Comair flights come up on the BA search tool, but can they be booked as part of an award with AA miles?
Old Feb 8, 2017, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bertheike
I not want to fly within Southafrica. I simply thought to find a good deal for our AA miles and studied the award chart, where I found the 10/17,5k for flights within Africa. So my first idea was to search for TUN-JNB/CPT, which would have been a good deal, if it would be available. But quickly i found out, that there are no oneworld or airline partners flying from anywhere in northafrica to southafrica, without routing via a 3rd. region.
I still have half a million AA miles which were transfered from USair.
And our main traveling is/was between Europe and Asia. Bevore when them belonged to *aliance, i used 100k for a roundtrip in first class on TG/LX/LH/SQ between Europe and HKG with a stopover in Thailand. Now the same award costs 180k and is much more difficult to get.
Since the last devaluation there are no more sweet spots in AA's chart ( @ least not in premium booking classes ).
Or do i miss something ? @:-)
EU to South Pacific via DOH QR to QR is a good redemption even after devaluation.
TG flies between SYD and BKK and it only costs you 40K in F or 30K in J one-way with excellent availability. Of course you would need to use Star Alliances programs' miles, such as UA, AC or Avianca etc. Cannot use AA.

Give it a thought - it may let you visit South Pacific and Asia with the TG angle and you will get very good products on both the EU to SYD on QR, as well as the SYD-BKK on TG. Yes, we have flown this itinerary in 2015 and are very happy about it.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier
Yes. But honestly the fares can be cheap on many routes and redemption comes with some BA fuel surcharges -- so for me, it made sense to buy vs redeem. YMMV
As long as you have earned one avios in the last year you can redeem a reward flight saver (RFS) for these Comair routes with a small cash add on and no fuel surcharges. The RFS makes avios redemptions a pretty good deal.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27691536-post5.html
Old Feb 8, 2017, 5:43 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bertheike
Does bus mean business ? I only find eco awards priced for 32.5k
Well, that was sloppy of me. The Business awards are 70k. Sorry.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 3:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: M&M/S SPG livetime gold, but not running behind status & points anymore! Now only book value for $
Originally Posted by Happy
EU to South Pacific via DOH QR to QR is a good redemption even after devaluation.
TG flies between SYD and BKK and it only costs you 40K in F or 30K in J one-way with excellent availability. Of course you would need to use Star Alliances programs' miles, such as UA, AC or Avianca etc. Cannot use AA.

Give it a thought - it may let you visit South Pacific and Asia with the TG angle and you will get very good products on both the EU to SYD on QR, as well as the SYD-BKK on TG. Yes, we have flown this itinerary in 2015 and are very happy about it.
That's what I mean, TG has/had a very good availability, but since USair now is OW, this not help so much in regards of using AA miles
For us now EU to ISC is still the best value, was 30k in business now 42,5k, but you can get from EU as far as DAC/CCU/MLE/KTM and now also CMB. From which it is another 3h. flight to Thailand which i can book in revenue tix. This i used last easter DAC-AUH-PAR on EY (was still 30k in bus.) BKK-DAC was on BIMAN and a real adventure.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 7:52 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
As long as you have earned one avios in the last year you can redeem a reward flight saver (RFS) for these Comair routes with a small cash add on and no fuel surcharges. The RFS makes avios redemptions a pretty good deal.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27691536-post5.html
Wow, great info-- no idea how, but somehow I had no idea about the having earned a single avios condition-- very interesting!!
Old Sep 17, 2017, 1:12 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
So, I can't get a withi-Africa award if I connect on through DOH or AUH between my two Africn cities ?
Old Sep 17, 2017, 2:17 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by MasterGeek
So, I can't get a withi-Africa award if I connect on through DOH or AUH between my two Africn cities ?
Not according to experience shared here and oneworld rules.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 10:23 am

Programs: AA Plat, Sixt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis First, Caesars TR Diamond, Mlife Gold
But you can use Iberia for Inter-African awards? I want to go Dakar Senegal--Nairobi Kenya: Iberia is showing this as connecting through Madrid.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by gkbiiii
But you can use Iberia for Inter-African awards? I want to go Dakar Senegal--Nairobi Kenya: Iberia is showing this as connecting through Madrid.
Cross posting the same question in multiple threads is a no no, answered here...

AA Award - Intra-Africa Awards
Old Aug 17, 2018, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by gkbiiii
Sure you can, but it would be two awards if using AAdvantage miles. AAdvantage routing rules do not permit any third-zone transit on a single Africa-Africa award.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.