Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Envoy Frequency Reductions/change in flight schedules

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2017, 7:05 am
Original Poster

I live near a smaller regional airport, AZO, and Envoy has been reducing their frequency and messing with flight times quite a bit lately.

1) Is this common in other smaller markets right now?

2) Is there a recent increase in the amount of changes at smaller bases?

3) Are we going to see continued reduction in flights?

Some dynamics at play here;

-AA used to have I believe 5x frequency
-UA in 2016 introduced competing service on the only AA route, ORD. Initially offering I think 3-5x frequency
-DL has introduced jets with first class cabins
-UA in late 2016/2017, has cut frequency down to like 2x/day.

We're down to a 6AM, 11Am, and 7pm flight. The two early flights suck for work/life balance, the 7pm flight is useless because the connecting flight options are next to nothing.

In general, is anyone else having experiences like this? At this point, AA is making it difficult for me to consider travelling on them. We used to have 2pm, 4:45pm, and the 7pm flight. I see that we have to wait until May.......to have another flight come back.

Also, is this seasonal, just for winter? Maybe AA is just admitting they can't handle all the routes feeding in to ORD during winter ops?
Old Jan 31, 2017, 7:58 am

Programs: UA-SIL MR-TIT HYT-GBL IHG-PLT HH-DIA WYN-PLT AMEX-PLT
I do know there have been some changes with their changing RJ numbers and alllotment between the regionals. I know my home airport is going from all ERJ (Envoy) to a mix of CRJ-200 (Skywest) and CRJ-700/900 (Mesa) next month. Will be nice to have a First class cabin on AA, even if it still isn't like DL with 2x mainline 717s daily + a bunch of CRJ-900s.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 8:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Another AZO'er!

I noticed that many of the Michigan RJ's are moving from Envoy 145s to Skywest CRJ 200's (looking mainly to FNT,AZO, LAN, some 700's to GRR, DTW unaffected).

Most of the regionals have what you described - super early flight (550-630am), mid afternoon, and night flight.

Might I suggest looking at GRR as an alternative if the AZO schedule isn't working for you? Not to mention depending on your destination(s), GRR-DFW-xxx on the CRJ900/E175s are automatic upgrades for EXPs, and do much better in the winter then AZO/GRR-ORD-xxx
Old Jan 31, 2017, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

UA is 3X most weekdays starting February (1x/2x on weekends). AA looks to be 3x daily through EOS. I'd guess that the UA competition is impacting AA, hence the reduced number of flights. Although I probably wouldn't rule out a seasonal additional daily flight being added for the summer.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
With DL having reduced 50-seaters from ~500 in 2009 to about 125 today, and AA and UA also rushing to replace 50-seat and smaller aircraft, get used to fewer flights into the smallest airports. RITA data put AZO at 195th in passenger arrivals; GRR is 79.

http://www.transtats.bts.gov/airport...&carrier=FACTS
Old Jan 31, 2017, 12:03 pm

Location: St. Louis, MO - AA PLT/2.98MM (Lifetime PLT), Delta PM, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
Programs: TW Elite (RIP), CO OnePass
AA has also become more aggressive at reducing schedules when bookings are below expectations.

Flight schedules outside of 60 days are typically placeholders... and will be adjusted higher or lower as travel dates approach.

Greg

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.