Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA 737 MAX 8 SSW / 7M8 aircraft in service Nov 2017 (discussion)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 24, 2017, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.

All posts regarding AA 737 MAX 8 safety etc. as related to the crashes have been consolidated in one thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...37-max-8s.html.

This thread is dedicated to general discussion of the 737 MAX 8. There are other threads to post to:

Recent crashes and effect on AA: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1939333-recent-737-max-crashes-effects-aa-737-max-8s.html

7M8 First / Business cabin and MiQ seats: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1880631-aircraft-guide-aa-boeing-737-max-8-7m8-first-business-seats-etc.html

7M8 Main Cabin and MCE cabins, Meridian seats: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1892121-aircraft-guide-aa-boeing-737-max-8-7m8-meridian-main-cabin-mce-seats-etc.html

7M8 Space overhead bins related: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1951594-max-oasis-big-bins-agents-told-not-proactively-gate-check-bags-jan-2019-a.html

7M8 Spacewall lavatory related: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1919254-737-max-8-bathrooms-air-carrier-access-act-compliant.html

Configuration is F 16, 156 Y (of which 30 are MCE) IFE WiFi streaming, Internet WiFi via ViaSat, 110 VAC Universal plug plus 5 VDC USB low output.

For the Guide / master threads on this aircraft, please see

Guide: AA Boeing 737 MAX 8 / 7M8 First / Business Seats, Etc.

and Guide: AA Boeing 737 MAX 8 / 7M8 Main Cabin, MCE Seats, Etc.

In the order of Boeing 737 aircraft, AA included 100 737 MAX 8 orders with options for 60 more. The first 737 MAX -8 flew at the assembly facility in Renton, WAshington, USA on 29 Jan 2016. Deliveries to AA commenced in late in 2017, with four delivered in 2017. 16 more will be delivered during 2018, 20 during 2019. IATA code B38M; AA code "7M8".

NOTE: ALL 737-800s (and two class A321-32B) will be retrofitted to 737 MAX 8 seating, slimline “advanced“ lavatories, IFE and WiFi standards under Project Oasis over the next three years.
American Airlines Boeing 737 MAX 8 SSW

The 737 MAX 8* is essentially a replacement to the 737-800 with passenger capacity of 172. (Read onward for seat configuration.) Range with Advanced Technology (AT) Split Scimitar Winglets is expected to be 3,515 nmi (6,510 km). (In comparison, the APB Blended Winglets 737-800 has range of 3,115 nmi or 5,765 km fully loaded.) See this page on Gizmodo for more information.

The fourth generation 737 MAX 8 (first flight 2016) includes airframe and wingtip modifications (Boeing “Scimitar” Advanced Technology Winglets) for enhanced efficiency and will use the larger and more efficient CFM International LEAP-1B engines. This will allegedly allow a 20% improvement in fuel burn over A320 aircraft, a 4% improvement over the A320neo* (new engine option), a 14% fuel burn reduction over the 737NG / 737-823 currently in use and a 37% fuel burn reduction over the 757-200.

(*The slightly longer and longer range A321-200neo will come in 2019.)

Boeing 737-800 Scimitar Split Winglets

The 737 MAX has the Boeing Sky Interior with LED interior lighting based on the Boeing 787 interior, overhead bins and fee-based ViaSat satellite-based Ka band WiFi. Individual seatback seatback video screens are no longer offered; AA has chosen free high quality live streaming music and movies (streamed from an onboard server and generally using the free downloadable GoGo Entertainment app) and high speed ViaSat Ka band Internet are said to be both sufficient and “the wave of the future”. At seat power is universal plug at 110 VAC plus 5.1 VDC USB; "large" overhead (cases stand on side) bins are provided.

The new 787 MAX aircraft carry 172 passengers: 16 in First, 30 in Main Cabin Extra and 126 in Main Cabin for a total of 172. Main Cabin will feature 30" seat pitch with Rockwell Collins Interior Design "Meridian" slimline seats, which AA states these seats' 30" pitch "feels like" 31" and is a more comfortable seat than previous generations (of slimline seats). The new “Spacewall“ ultra slimline lavatory (29” in F, 24” in Y) are “densified”, as well.

(AA revised its original plans to provide some rows of 29" pitch seats in the MAX 8 by switching out one MCE row, as of 12 June 2017.) See memo posted by CO777 in post 377.

"An American spokesman said the airline will add 40 Max jets to its fleet by the end of 2019. It has 100 on order." Existing and remaining Boeing 737-800 / 823s (two-class A321 and 32B aircraft will be “densified” with the new Meridian seats and Spacewall lavatories as well) will be configured to the same seat plan as the 737-MAX 8, going from 160 to 172 total seats.

Link to full article in CNN Money, 3 May 2017.

*Boeing aircraft are changing nomenclature. Like the existing 747-8 and 787-8 and -9, the 737 MAX 8 on order by AA will be the -8, not -800.

HISTORICAL / COMPARISON:

Boeing 737-100 "Fat Albert" entered service with Lufthansa in 1968
MTOW 110,000 lb; Range 1,540 nm; 85 passengers in 2 class config

Boeing 737-400 "Classic" entered service in 1984
MTOW 150,000 lb; Range ~2,100 nm; 147 passengers in 2 class config

Boeing 737-800 "Next Generation" entered service in 1998
MTOW 174,200 lb; Range ~2,935 nm; 150-160-172 passengers in 2 AA class config

Boeing 737 MAX 8 entered service in 2017
MTOW 181,200 lb; Range 3,610 nm; 172 passengers in AA 2 class config

*Click HERE for a list of registration “tail” numbers of 737 MAX 8 deliveries.

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: AA 737 MAX 8 SSW / 7M8 aircraft in service Nov 2017 (discussion)

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2017, 7:26 am

Programs: AA EXP, Delta GM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
I think this might be the last straw for me, since a majority of my routes have competition from SWA, Delta, and UA I will start price shopping instead of just being loyal to AA
Old May 3, 2017, 7:31 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DCAbuckeye
First no IFE and now even more miserable, cramped quarters. Lovely.

DL and and B6 are looking more and more attractive... Even if they shrink their pitch to match, at least they'll have IFE.
Um, the 738Max will have IFE. Just not of the screenback type, it will be of the stream to your own device type. At least when you are crammed in your 29" pitch seat your won't have someone repeatedly poking a touchscreen in your back.

Di$count Dougie
Old May 3, 2017, 7:36 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by bchandler02
I'm normally 110% against government involvement in business, so I hate to say it, but I agree. This has to stop somewhere. What about those of us that are well over 6ft tall?
29 inch pitch does not necessarily mean less legroom than the current configuration.
Old May 3, 2017, 7:37 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Fanjet
The news report I saw tonight said the last three rows of the aircraft would be at 29" seat pitch. However, they did not specify the aircraft type.
I found that part a bit confusing as well.
Old May 3, 2017, 7:44 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by bchandler02
What about those of us that are well over 6ft tall?
I'm pretty sure AA's answer to this is "buy F or at least MCE". Certainly not saying I agree with it, but sure seems like they're doing whatever they can to force customers to pay for even moderate comfort wherever possible, to the point of almost giving you no other options.
Old May 3, 2017, 7:53 am

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by bse118
Um, the 738Max will have IFE. Just not of the screenback type, it will be of the stream to your own device type. At least when you are crammed in your 29" pitch seat your won't have someone repeatedly poking a touchscreen in your back.

Oh, you mean the crappy, limited, worthless Gogo system they have on all the LUS birds now? Yeah, no thanks.

And pardon me for calling out Doug Parker for consistently initiating races to the bottom of the barrel among US carriers. Remember when US Scare tried charging for WATER? He needs to go to sprit where his budget ideals belong.
Old May 3, 2017, 8:02 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors LTDia, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by GUWonder
<snip>New seats in the main passenger cabin aren't as much about improving passenger comfort and safety outcomes as they are about being able to pack in more people like tightly-packed sardines in a flying can.
As someone else said, "Self Loading Cargo"
Old May 3, 2017, 8:04 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by bse118
As I said on Post #12 , will there be enough room around a seat to place a tablet or a lap top and view the screen comfortably? Possible that will still feel the bang on the back of the seat from a passenger behind try to place a tablet or a lap top around and moving every minute to make feel comfortable.

Even under current seat pitch I had to feel knees of a passenger behind on my back because a passenger was pressing knees against a seat constantly.
Old May 3, 2017, 8:08 am

Oh, you mean the crappy, limited, worthless Gogo system they have on all the LUS birds now? Yeah, no thanks.

And pardon me for calling out Doug Parker for consistently initiating races to the bottom of the barrel among US carriers. Remember when US Scare tried charging for WATER? He needs to go to sprit where his budget ideals belong.
Gogo is the internet service. The streaming service is to my understanding more functional - as it doesn't rely on any connection to the ground or to satellites as the internet services do. Of course, I bring a book... Regardless streaming IFE is the direction many carriers (not just AA) are going.

As for Mr. Parker, there are far more constructive ways to discuss his supposedly negative policies than name-calling...I just find it petty and distracting from actual discussion of the issues.
Old May 3, 2017, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
As I said on Post #12 , will there be enough room around a seat to place a tablet or a lap top and view the screen comfortably? Possible that will still feel the bang on the back of the seat from a passenger behind try to place a tablet or a lap top around and moving every minute to make feel comfortable.

Even under current seat pitch I had to feel knees of a passenger behind on my back because a passenger was pressing knees against a seat constantly.
I don't think 1 or 2 inches will make any appreciable difference in this regard - as you say at 31 or 30 inches you are already feeling the person behind you. The less direct interaction that person has with MY seatback the better.

<I have somewhat controversial views on this subject. For example I'd prefer that all domestic/shorthaul flights have non-reclining seats in coach.>
Old May 3, 2017, 8:13 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
If this is accompanied by continued de-enhancements of the domestic F experience, AA will soon be indistinguishable from Spirit, with it's tight Y seats and Big Front Seat. Is this something the AA directors and shareholders can be proud of? Is this really the only way to make a decent return on equity?
Old May 3, 2017, 8:25 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
The CNN article states 3 rows will be 29" - perhaps basic economy fares can be restricted to sitting only in those rows. Thing is, if 29" pitch doesn't reduce bookings, they could go further and make all rows 29" (or cut some rows to 28") and add even more seats. It's possible MCE could be only the exit and bulkhead rows which have extra legroom by design.
Old May 3, 2017, 8:27 am

Next they should offer some standing "seats". Of course there'd be shoulder straps of some sort for safety.
Old May 3, 2017, 8:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
AA just gave a big fat middle finger to Congress.

In another parallel universe where all airlines didn't already suck as bad as they do, I might applaud that.
Old May 3, 2017, 8:51 am

Programs: AA EXP, Delta, Amtrak, Hertz PC
Something to keep in mind is that these 12? additional seats do not come with any additional overhead space, lavatories, or seating in the gate area's. All of these places will become more crowded.

It is also 12 more people that Flight Attendants need to take care of, and 12 more people that need to load and unload which will make boarding even slower.

I think this might be the last straw for me, since a majority of my routes have competition from SWA, Delta, and UA I will start price shopping instead of just being loyal to AA
Unfortunately, UA and DL will probably follow suit. SWA has also started moving in this direction.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.