Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2017 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2017, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
2017 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated)

Welcome to the "2017 Guide to, and listing of, compensation" thread!

NOTE: If compensation is not generated automatically (occasionally, it will), you will want to contact American Airlines Customer Relations. See Contacting American Airlines Customer Relations & Complaint, Issues (master thread).

In keeping with tradition, we'd like to ask members to report their compensation in the following format:

• Date
  • AAdvantage Status
  • Fare class
  • What happened
  • Compensation
  • Comments
Please, do NOT post names of non-management employees, in accordance with FlyerTalk TOS (q#69) "Respect the privacy of non-management travel service employees by not referring to them by name."

JGR01 has created a spreadsheet parsing posts in this thread from 2003-2007, available for download here

AA's official policy regarding compensation for delays, cancellations, and diversions is as follows (thanks to tom911 for posting):
DELAYS, CANCELLATIONS AND DIVERSIONS

American Airlines will provide customers at the airport and onboard an affected aircraft with timely and frequent updates regarding known delays, cancellations and diversions and will strive to provide the best available information concerning the duration of delays and to the extent available, the flight's anticipated departure time.

We are not responsible for any special, incidental or consequential damages if we do not meet this commitment.

When cancellations and major delays are experienced, you will be rerouted on our next flight with available seats. If the delay or cancellation was caused by events within our control and we do not get you to your final destination on the expected arrival day, we will provide reasonable overnight accommodations, subject to availability.

In extreme circumstances, it is possible that a flight will cancel while on the ground in the city to which it was diverted. When this happens you will be rerouted on the next American flight with available seats, or in some circumstances on another airline or some other alternative means of transportation. If we are unable to reroute you, reasonable overnight accommodations will be provided by American, subject to availability.

American will provide amenities for delayed passengers, necessary to maintain the safety and/or welfare of certain passengers such as customers with disabilities, unaccompanied children, the elderly or others to whom such amenities will be furnished consistent with special needs and/or circumstances.
• The U. S. Department of Transportation's official policy regarding compensation for delays or cancellations is as follows (thanks to hillrider for posting):
Contrary to the belief of some, airlines are not required to compensate passengers for “damages” when flights are delayed or canceled. Compensation is required by law only when you are “bumped” from a flight that is oversold. Airlines almost always refuse to pay passengers for financial losses resulting from a delayed flight. If the purpose of your trip is to close a potentially lucrative business deal, to give a speech or lecture, to attend a family function, or to be present at any time-sensitive event, you might want to allow a little extra time and take an earlier flight. In other words, airline delays and cancellations are not unusual, and defensive planning is a good idea when time is your most important consideration.
Flights to/from/within Europe carry specific compensation rights, as outlined at: http://ec.europa.eu/transport/passen.../en/index.html

Also see (FT) EC261 / EC 261/2004 complaints, compensation and AA (master thread)

(The other compensation threads are archived and closed, but can easily be accessed for reading here:

2016 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated)

2015 Questions about, guide to, listing of, compensation (consolidated - archived)

2014 Questions about, guide to, listing of, compensation (consolidated - archived)

2013 Questions about, guide to, and listing of compensation (archived)

Guide to, and listing of, compensation (2012 - archived)

Guide to, and listing of, compensation (2003 - 2011 archived)

AA Forum Moderator Team
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2017 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2017, 5:41 pm

Date October 2016
AAdvantage Status none
Fare class U
What happened SYD-LAX. I had seat 3J since when I booked the flight eight months prior. My day started with MEL-SYD on QF. Upon check-in at MEL, my SYD-LAX seat had been changed to 15D but I didn't notice. At SYD, I noticed and went to the service counter. The agent said there was a glitch with the seat assignments when QF checked me in and the seat was given away. She said two other people were trying to get 3J including an EXP who just upgraded. She was able to move me to 3G. I showed her my reservation from February 2016 that had seat 3J. She informed the gate agents about the issue. Lead gate agent said he explained the situation to the EXP and asked her if she would switch to 3G, but she refused. I sat in 3G. I wrote a letter to AA Customer Service.
Compensation $100 voucher.
Comments I know seat assignments aren't guaranteed, but when I have a seat locked up for eight months, it was a major bummer to get bounced due to a "glitch" at check-in. Props to the AA staff to try to resolve the issue. I hope karma catches up with the EXP member.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by uclachef
Props to the AA staff to try to resolve the issue. I hope karma catches up with the EXP member.
Its not the EXP members fault. They were assigned the seat or it showed open and allowed them to pick it.

As a solo traveler I wouldn't want to give up a seat either. This is 100% AA's issue, not some innocent pax.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 9:39 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Date 24 Feb 17
AAdvantage Status PLT
Fare class X
What happened I was flying ORD-OMA and had been upgraded from Y to F at T-48. The morning of the flight, the equipment was downgraded from a CRJ to an all-Y Embraer.
Compensation $300 paper voucher, unsolicited
Comments GA was calling my name at the podium when I arrived from my connecting flight and I learned of the equipment downgrade and compensation offer simultaneously. Am pleased with the compensation.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 5:40 pm

Date: 15 March 2017
AAdvantage Status: None
Fare class: Economy
What happened: flight oversold by 1
Compensation: $500 voucher
Comments: I was first on the bus ready to head to the plane for the DCA-BHM nonstop flight. GA comes to the bus and makes announcement that they were oversold by 1. Offer started at $500. I volunteered right away, thinking this is higher than the typical voucher amounts I've seen in the past. Got rebooked on the next nonstop flight leaving 2 h later (though this later flight ended up being delayed by 1 h). Headed straight back to the Admirals Club until the new flight.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 6:47 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Date 3/10 and 3/13
AAdvantage Status Platinum
Fare class O
What happened
- AA 174 RDU-LHR. Two hour mechanical delay due to issues with baggage. The pilot told us "I don't know what's going on or when it will get fixed and I can't even talk to the ground staff."
- AA 482 PHL-ORD. Another two hour mechanical delay. I was ticketed PHL-ORD-RDU with ORD-RDU in upgraded First. Ended up rebooked PHL-RDU in coach.
Compensation 10,000 Miles
Comments I mentioned the frustrations with the delays, both times we were given very little information. I also mentioned I'd paid extra to fly via ORD on the way back for the extra segments/MQM and MM miles. They didn't offer those to me but I'm happy with what I got.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 4:48 am

Programs: DL; MileagePlus; other airlines
Flight delayed by 10 hours

flying to GRU but flight delayed for over ten hours. I got a car to and from the hotel, but is there any other comp I can ask for? Business class ticket, if it matters.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 5:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
What was reason for delay?
Old Mar 20, 2017, 5:37 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
What was reason for delay?
equipment service
Old Mar 20, 2017, 6:17 am

Location: San Francisco, CA USA // UA 1K 2 Million Miler, AA EXP 2MM, HH Diamond, SPG Plat // Easily found on SFO-ORDs
Looks like 3/10 JFK-GRU, originally scheduled 11:45pm, now leaving 3/11 7:45am. Maintenance.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 7:19 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
At least some AAdvantage miles. For a domestic maintenace delay of just over 3 hours we were proactively given by AA 5K in an email the next day. This was 3 years ago DFW-HNL. We were in F cabin.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 7:20 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by kvolvo
flying to GRU but flight delayed for over ten hours. I got a car to and from the hotel, but is there any other comp I can ask for? Business class ticket, if it matters.
Is there specific compensation that you want that you haven't received? If so, then ask AA for it. I'm unsure how an internet forum can help you unless you want an exhaustive listing of all the ways you can milk AA for a delay.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 7:30 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Gold, Everything else: Dirt
Originally Posted by iadisgreat
Is there specific compensation that you want that you haven't received? If so, then ask AA for it. I'm unsure how an internet forum can help you unless you want an exhaustive listing of all the ways you can milk AA for a delay.
Wow, what an unnecessarily harsh and unhelpful post. "Milk AA for a delay"--this was a 10 hour delay, not an hour or two. I think you should write to AA but what they give you seems arbitrary and completely discretionary. Too bad this didn't occur in the EU.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 7:36 am

Programs: AA LifeTime PLT (2.982 MM, But 3MM+ Total), HHonors GOLD, IHG AMB
Originally Posted by MaineFlyer16
Wow, what an unnecessarily harsh and unhelpful post. "Milk AA for a delay"--
No, it wasn't.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by Spock Seat
No, it wasn't.
given that I lost a full business day of work and need to now postpone the trip by a day, I think it's only fair that they would offer miles to accommodate.
It's been pushed back another hour. I am sure they realize that passengers are extremely inconvenienced. they didn't even offer meal vouchers!
Old Mar 20, 2017, 7:47 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by kvolvo
given that I lost a full business day of work and need to now postpone the trip by a day, I think it's only fair that they would offer miles to accommodate.
As others pointed out, they almost certainly will offer miles. Just give it a day or two.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.