Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2017 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2017, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
2017 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated)

Welcome to the "2017 Guide to, and listing of, compensation" thread!

NOTE: If compensation is not generated automatically (occasionally, it will), you will want to contact American Airlines Customer Relations. See Contacting American Airlines Customer Relations & Complaint, Issues (master thread).

In keeping with tradition, we'd like to ask members to report their compensation in the following format:

• Date
  • AAdvantage Status
  • Fare class
  • What happened
  • Compensation
  • Comments
Please, do NOT post names of non-management employees, in accordance with FlyerTalk TOS (q#69) "Respect the privacy of non-management travel service employees by not referring to them by name."

JGR01 has created a spreadsheet parsing posts in this thread from 2003-2007, available for download here

AA's official policy regarding compensation for delays, cancellations, and diversions is as follows (thanks to tom911 for posting):
DELAYS, CANCELLATIONS AND DIVERSIONS

American Airlines will provide customers at the airport and onboard an affected aircraft with timely and frequent updates regarding known delays, cancellations and diversions and will strive to provide the best available information concerning the duration of delays and to the extent available, the flight's anticipated departure time.

We are not responsible for any special, incidental or consequential damages if we do not meet this commitment.

When cancellations and major delays are experienced, you will be rerouted on our next flight with available seats. If the delay or cancellation was caused by events within our control and we do not get you to your final destination on the expected arrival day, we will provide reasonable overnight accommodations, subject to availability.

In extreme circumstances, it is possible that a flight will cancel while on the ground in the city to which it was diverted. When this happens you will be rerouted on the next American flight with available seats, or in some circumstances on another airline or some other alternative means of transportation. If we are unable to reroute you, reasonable overnight accommodations will be provided by American, subject to availability.

American will provide amenities for delayed passengers, necessary to maintain the safety and/or welfare of certain passengers such as customers with disabilities, unaccompanied children, the elderly or others to whom such amenities will be furnished consistent with special needs and/or circumstances.
• The U. S. Department of Transportation's official policy regarding compensation for delays or cancellations is as follows (thanks to hillrider for posting):
Contrary to the belief of some, airlines are not required to compensate passengers for “damages” when flights are delayed or canceled. Compensation is required by law only when you are “bumped” from a flight that is oversold. Airlines almost always refuse to pay passengers for financial losses resulting from a delayed flight. If the purpose of your trip is to close a potentially lucrative business deal, to give a speech or lecture, to attend a family function, or to be present at any time-sensitive event, you might want to allow a little extra time and take an earlier flight. In other words, airline delays and cancellations are not unusual, and defensive planning is a good idea when time is your most important consideration.
Flights to/from/within Europe carry specific compensation rights, as outlined at: http://ec.europa.eu/transport/passen.../en/index.html

Also see (FT) EC261 / EC 261/2004 complaints, compensation and AA (master thread)

(The other compensation threads are archived and closed, but can easily be accessed for reading here:

2016 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated)

2015 Questions about, guide to, listing of, compensation (consolidated - archived)

2014 Questions about, guide to, listing of, compensation (consolidated - archived)

2013 Questions about, guide to, and listing of compensation (archived)

Guide to, and listing of, compensation (2012 - archived)

Guide to, and listing of, compensation (2003 - 2011 archived)

AA Forum Moderator Team
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2017 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2017, 6:54 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Of all the myriad irrelevant facts in the OP, the only two critical facts are omitted. What was the originally-scheduled arrival time at GSO and at what time did OP actually arrive at GSO? It is the delay at the final ticketed destination which matters. Nothing else.

If the delay was 3+ hours, the compensation is potentially EUR 300 and if 4+ hours, it is potentially EUR 600. In addition, OP would be entitled to "duty of care" such as food, but that seems to have been taken care of through lounge access.

I say "potentially" because there is no compensation if the delay was due to an "extraordinary" circumstance. Here, the three delays which apparently led to the larger issue were : Required flight deck crew with security issue; Illness of same; departure queue (air traffic control).

I don't see any of those as forseeable, realistically requiring a backup plan due to lack of common occurence. And I do see AA's service recovery as savvy and a commercially reasonable way to mitigate the delay, e.g. flying to JFK only requiring two qualified pilots, rather than ORD, which requires three.

OP is free to make a claim to AA under EC 261/2004, but will likely be denied. If he is a resident of the UK, he may proceed through MCOL and, if not, directly to court (which does telephonic hearings). But, he will also face the same legal hurdle as AA will almost certainly rely on here. In this case, AA may be correct. I would certainly file the EC 261/2004 claim with AA.

Make certain that the claim is clear & succinct. Who said what and when is irrelevant. All that matters is that the delay was not an "extraordinary circumstance" and that you were delayed on arrival at GSO by 3 or more hours.

But, I would not go out and spend the EUR 600 just yet.

Last edited by Often1; Sep 17, 2017 at 8:19 am
Old Sep 17, 2017, 7:11 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Welcome to Flyertalk, decowie1903.

I suggest you review threads on similar topics for information relevant to your question, such as:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html
Old Sep 17, 2017, 9:29 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Here are the notes on that flight. I think this easily qualifies for EC261 compensation.

7LHR/AUTO REACCOM DLY FLT COMPLETED SEE N*P1AA0099LHR17SEP *0221*CRCYMG
4LHR/OUT0947 *0347
3LHR/DCSN1045 ACF-DELAYS DURING A/C FUELING *0444
1LHR/ CANCEL LHR -LHR -JFK -CRX *0448
2ORD/PRE1436 *0304
1ORD/LX CANCEL JFK -ORD -CRX-CXLD DUE TO CREW AVAILABILITY*0451
3JFK/ETD1315 LAE-PREVIOUS DELAY OF THIS AIRCRAFT *0304
Old Sep 18, 2017, 4:31 am

Programs: BAEC
Thanks for all the replies.

Originally landing time at GSO was 1244 (viaORD) and actual landing time was 2154 (via PHL) - so just over a 9 hour delay in total.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Date: 9/15/17
AAdvantage Status: Plat (at the time), PlatPro when complaint made
Fare class: C (miles+cash upgrade from S fare)
What happened: Seat on 788 was broken. A lot of movement when the adjacent pax moved at all. Could not sleep entire 13hr flight. Seat also occasionally slide forward for no reason.
Compensation: 15,000 RDM
Comments: Satisfied with 15k miles for this. The seat issue started to get really aggravating, especially toward the end of the flight.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 9:34 am

Programs: AA EXP, Amex Plt, AA AC
DFW-ORD-AZO
My DFW flight was delayed for mechanical by 1.5 hours though it was really for clearing by customs IAW the desk. I missed my connection to AZO and was stuck at ORD overnight.

The AA Customer service desk, at ORD, said they ran out of hotels, this was sunday 9/17 so no convention, no hotels overbooked, nothing any big deal. They offered me a cot and no food vouchers for the rapidly closing ORD airport.

I decided that I couldn't sleep in the airport and made my way to the Hilton just 2 miles down the road and check in next to a lady who had an AA voucher for the airport.

I emailed customer service(went back and forth a few times) and they are offering nothing for compensation besides a sorry, please don't leave us. I've really about had it with this stuff.

Any advice?
Old Sep 20, 2017, 10:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, Amex Plt, AA AC
Well, quick turnaround on this one. I had wrote customer service several times back and forth and received nothing but a form letter. Wrote CEO Parker about 2 hours ago and got 15k in my account just now since it was sent back down the line to Customer Service.

Originally Posted by 50ae
DFW-ORD-AZO
My DFW flight was delayed for mechanical by 1.5 hours though it was really for clearing by customs IAW the desk. I missed my connection to AZO and was stuck at ORD overnight.

The AA Customer service desk, at ORD, said they ran out of hotels, this was sunday 9/17 so no convention, no hotels overbooked, nothing any big deal. They offered me a cot and no food vouchers for the rapidly closing ORD airport.

I decided that I couldn't sleep in the airport and made my way to the Hilton just 2 miles down the road and check in next to a lady who had an AA voucher for the airport.

I emailed customer service(went back and forth a few times) and they are offering nothing for compensation besides a sorry, please don't leave us. I've really about had it with this stuff.

Any advice?
Old Sep 26, 2017, 8:25 pm

AA 732 Cancelled flight CLT-LHR Sept 15 (to merge)

Hello
AA cancelled CLT-LHR flight due to crew unavialability. If you were on this flight, what kind of compensation did you get? Are we eligible for EU EC cancellation regulation?
Old Sep 26, 2017, 8:49 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by tsrikant
Hello
AA cancelled CLT-LHR flight due to crew unavailability. If you were on this flight, what kind of compensation did you get? Are we eligible for EU EC cancellation regulation?
Sorry for the troubles, but if you google the bold part, you can see that in order to qualify, it must be departing EU. In your case, it was US. If cancellation was due to crew issues as you mentioned, at the minimum AA should have provided hotel and meal vouchers. If you complaint to AA you will get some extra miles as a token gesture.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 9:14 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
EC261 / EC 261/2004 complaints, compensation and AA (master thread) has all the details. I don't believe your cancelled flight qualifies, but check for sure, given you've not provided many details.

Also see 2017 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated).
Old Sep 26, 2017, 11:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by tsrikant
Hello
AA cancelled CLT-LHR flight due to crew unavialability. If you were on this flight, what kind of compensation did you get? Are we eligible for EU EC cancellation regulation?
For the EU compensation on flights TO the EU, it must be on an EU based carrier
If FROM the EU, it doesn't not have to be an EU based carrier.
Additionally, a cancellation due to weather or ATC issues would not normally make you eligible for cash compensation
Old Oct 2, 2017, 8:14 am

Programs: AY GOLD, HH GOLD
AA185 JFK-LAX cancelled last night due to lack of minimum crew. They put us up in a hotel and booked for this morning.

Are we entitled to any other compensation?

First time ever to got cancelled on a domestic flight since I fly a lot LH.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by aama
AA185 JFK-LAX cancelled last night due to lack of minimum crew. They put us up in a hotel and booked for this morning.

Are we entitled to any other compensation?

First time ever to got cancelled on a domestic flight since I fly a lot LH.
You are not entitled to any compensation, but if you write in you may receive some miles as a customer service gesture.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 1:31 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
SEA-PHL-ATH

Purchased flights in April leaving SEA at 6:10AM to PHL and then ATH arriving at 9:10 AM. 6:10 AM cancelled. I had to choose from British Air arriving at 4:35 PM or leaving SEA the day before and over nite in PHL. I emailed. CS asking for some miles. They responded "While it's not our approach to offer compensation when a passenger is reaccommodated at no charge due to a schedule change." Is that normal having to choose much later arrival or going a day earlier? I chose going day early.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 9:28 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by rkh29
Purchased flights in April leaving SEA at 6:10AM to PHL and then ATH arriving at 9:10 AM. 6:10 AM cancelled. I had to choose from British Air arriving at 4:35 PM or leaving SEA the day before and over nite in PHL. I emailed. CS asking for some miles. They responded "While it's not our approach to offer compensation when a passenger is reaccommodated at no charge due to a schedule change." Is that normal having to choose much later arrival or going a day earlier? I chose going day early.
Got an email from CS to call but of course agent always busy. Any feedback whether some compensation is due?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.