Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Basic Economy Fare as of 2017 (also AY, BA, IB), incl. elite benefits (Master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 18, 2017, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IADCAflyer
What is Basic Economy?
Basic Economy is (generally) the lowest, "no-frills" Main Cabin (Economy) fare on American Airlines and their Atlantic Joint Business partners (British Airways, Iberia, and Finnair). Basic Economy fares on American Airlines book into the As the lowest fare, it has some special restrictions that other Main Cabin fares do not.

What are the Restrictions?
You can read American Airlines' web page summarizing Basic Economy for the exact details, but there are a few points that likely matter most to FlyerTalkers:
  1. Your first checked bag will cost money on a Basic Economy fare*.
  2. Your seat will be automatically assigned when you check in and unchangeable, unless you pay to change your seat. You may pay to reserve a seat any time after booking*.
  3. No elite upgrades to first class, or complimentary access to preferred seats (green on the seat map) or Main Cabin Extra (orange on the seat map)*.
  4. You will board last, in Group 9 for domestic flights or Group 8 for international flights*. On a full flight, this likely means you will have to gate check your carry-on bag (which is free)*.
  5. You will earn 50% EQMs per mile flown and 0.5 EQS per segment. You will earn full RDMs (based on fare flown) and EQDs.
  6. Changes are not permitted (worldwide from 01APR21).
  7. In IRROPS, Basic Economy customers will not be re-accommodated on other airlines, and will have to wait for the next American Airlines flight (or BA/IB/AY for INTL).

* exceptions apply for American Airlines elite-level frequent flyers as noted below.

Despite these restrictions, Basic Economy can be a good value in certain circumstances.

Are the seats or service any different?
Once you are on the airplane, the experience (seats / drinks / snacks) will be identical to regular Main Cabin.

How can I tell if I have a Basic Economy fare?
Your reservation on aa.com may say it. Basic Economy fares on American Airlines flights book into the B booking class, though Basic Economy fares on BA/IB/AY and their AA* codeshares can book into almost any revenue booking class.

I have an AA credit card, what does that get me?
Yes, if you have an American Airlines credit card that comes with preferred boarding or a free checked bag on domestic itineraries, you will receive those benefits. Additionally, if you have a Citi Executive card, you may use the Admirals Club as normal.

I have AA elite status, what does that get me?
You WILL get the following elite benefits when you buy a Basic Economy fare (note this is not an exhaustive list, basically everything not expressly forbidden is allowed):
  1. 1/2/3 checked bag fees waives, depending on status.
  2. Priority check-in / security / boarding.
  3. Lounge access, if applicable.
You WILL NOT receive the following elite benefits on a Basic Economy fare:
  1. No same-day standby or same-day confirmed flight changes, paid or otherwise.
Will I be seated with my child?
As it does today, American’s reservations system will check for families traveling with children 13 and under a few days before the flight, and attempt to seat each child with an adult. This is the same process we follow for Main Cabin customers.
Families with children over 13 will have to pay for seat assignments to be seated with their children.

I am flying on a British Airways, Iberia, or Finnair airplane, is anything different?
If you do not have AA or oneworld elite status, the restrictions are quite similar and you should expect to pay for everything: paid checked bags, paid seat selection, and no changes / cancellations. Depending on available fare classes, you may have an opportunity to earn additional redeemable miles or elite qualifying dollars by booking a BA / IB / AY flight number instead of an AA flight number; check your options and the partner earning charts on AA for each respective airline (British Airways, Iberia, Finnair).

If you have status, buckle up, because it gets technical, though there are some opportunities to cherry pick benefits and save money. This has been already summarized in the counterpart to this thread on the British Airways forum.​​, so we will not reproduce it here. Note the following correspondences between status levels:
  • AA Gold - BA Bronze - oneworld Ruby
  • AA Platinum or Platinum Pro - BA Silver - oneworld Sapphire
  • AA Executive Platinum or Concierge Key - BA Gold - oneworld Emerald
Generally, there seem to be the following opportunities for arbitrage:
  • If you are a Platinum, Platinum Pro, or Executive Platinum elite, you can generally book Iberia or Finnair-operated Basic Economy flights and not notice any baggage or seating restrictions, as long as they were not marketed by BA.
  • If you do not care about your seat assignment, you can book AA-operated flights with an IB or AY flight number and still receive a checked bag if you are Platinum or higher. You may earn more or fewer RDMs, EQMs, and EQDs.
  • If you do not need to check a bag, you can book BA-operated flights with any flight number, and can choose your seat (7 days in advance for Gold, at booking for Platinum and higher, Exit Rows for EXP).
Print Wikipost

Basic Economy Fare as of 2017 (also AY, BA, IB), incl. elite benefits (Master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2017, 8:33 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by akcae
Starting in February at 10 select airports, and later rolling out to more locations we serve, AA boarding will now begin 1hr before departure in order to ensure all customers are on board and seated in time to achieve on-time departure by which we mean door closure and separation from the Jetway. Our premium cabin customers can look forward to 45 min of watching their flight attendants chatting in the galley or checking their social media accounts and busy with other safety-related activities instead of providing pre-departure beverage and coat collection.
Wow. If they were smart, they'd board F last (reserving the bins of course) since it seems like a bad idea to make F pax sit on the plane 30 minutes longer than before.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 8:34 am

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by discoverCSG
rjw242 mentions rolling out these cards in heavily-leisure markets to compete with the likes of NK.

Does anybody know precisely what the ten markets are where this will be rolled out?
I'm not sure AA will release that info in advance as they probably don't want to make it too easy for us to show that on Feb 9, it cost $200 to fly AAA-BBB on the lowest main cabin fare and then on Feb 10, it cost $200 to fly AAA-BBB in Basic Economy while costing $230 to book main cabin.

That said, logical guesses about possible first routes are leisure routes (think Florida, especially MCO) and any head to head routes with the likes of Spirit, Allegiant, Frontier.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 8:36 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Originally Posted by nrr
What would the difference in fares between BE and the next level up?
I've seen for some flights LGA-ORD-LGA price as high as $500; if BE were say $200^. But to fly say, JFK-LAX and save $20
In the email I got:
"With Basic Economy, get our lowest Main Cabin fare with the same great* onboard experience including free snacks, soft drinks and entertainment. Plus, you’ll still earn American Airlines AAdvantage® award miles, and elite qualifying credits (EQMs/EQSs) at a reduced rate."
The photo associated with the email shows an in-seat entertainment unit...will all planes have them?
Even in FC, IMHO, the experience is rarely "great".
That's hilarious. If you look at DL current pricing, which should be a *very* good guide to set your expectations, the typical price difference between basic and regular Y prices on domestic routes is about $15-$60.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by nrr
What would the difference in fares between BE and the next level up?
I've seen for some flights LGA-ORD-LGA price as high as $500; if BE were say $200^. But to fly say, JFK-LAX and save $20
In the email I got:
"With Basic Economy, get our lowest Main Cabin fare with the same great* onboard experience including free snacks, soft drinks and entertainment. Plus, you’ll still earn American Airlines AAdvantage® award miles, and elite qualifying credits (EQMs/EQSs) at a reduced rate."
The photo associated with the email shows an in-seat entertainment unit...will all planes have them?
Even in FC, IMHO, the experience is rarely "great".
In my experience with DL, E fares (DL's basic economy bucket) are usually around $10-$20 cheaper one way, so $20-$40 cheaper round trip. This is just for some routes I look at though, especially NY-Florida routes, other routes could differ. And there are examples of limited cases where the E fare inexplicably costs more than the Main Cabin fare (I presume that's a bug situation though).
Old Jan 18, 2017, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by ty97
That's the rub with these fares. I can't imagine booking one either. But since, in many cases, these fare buckets take over the existing cheapest fare, it means people like you and me wind up paying $20-$40 more to continue to get what we get today.
Bingo.

And for those of you who think WN is going to be an option, I would suggest that this won't always work. I fly STL-MCO/RSW regularly. F9 competes with WN for non-stops on these routes. F9 is almost always cheaper, and WN makes no effort to match F9's rock bottom fares that go as low as $29 one way. F9's theory is that they sell you a seat at a loss and hope to make it up on ancillary items such as seat assignments and checked bags. WN doesn't try to compete with that. I often wind up on WN because I have a companion pass, so I get one seat free. But even then, there have been times that it's cheaper to buy 2 seats on F9 than 1 on WN.

Note: this is all leisure travel. I don't see people buying these fares for business travel because of the no changes policy. And while there are exceptions (many FTers probably are in that group), these fares are proliferating because most people buy leisure air travel based almost entirely on price.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 8:39 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
My impression is that currently boarding group and carry-on are not enforced at the gate more often than not. Unless gate agents are suddenly start enforcing those at a gate for a flight with basic economy, it is possible that there is good chance passengers on basic economy can get away with carry-on restriction? Or IT department can add a function so that when a passenger with basic economy board then gate scanner make one big noise to remind gate agent…
Old Jan 18, 2017, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ty97
No upgrades.
No bag in overhead.
No changes, no same day confirmed, no standby.
Note, there is no actual prohibition for putting your personal item in the overhead bins and there is no intention to police that. You just can't bring on any luggage won't fit under your seat and can only fit in the overhead bins. BE customers will have to check any rollerboard's. The idea here is to reduce instances where the bins are full and thus speed up the boarding process. Even if some people put their personal items in the overheads they should generally take up less space than rollerboards.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by rjw242
Wow. If they were smart, they'd board F last (reserving the bins of course) since it seems like a bad idea to make F pax sit on the plane 30 minutes longer than before.
Adding more groups is not going to make the boarding process take any longer. It's already the case that after about thirty seconds of boarding, the bottleneck is in the aisle and on the jetbridge rather than at the gate, so even if this makes it take slightly longer to get people through the gate it just means that you'll end up with more even overall pacing and less congestion in the jetbridge but you'll still end up with plenty of time to get everyone on the plane.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 8:48 am

If one is gold, does this mean still one checked bag for free as well as one carry on plus a personal item?

How while they classify award tickets for non-elites? Are they allow one free carry on?

The sizer for the personal item, will backpacks be an issue? Not sure if it stuffed backpack will fit.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 8:50 am

Programs: AA PP 1.8MM, PC Spire, Hertz 5*, Hyatt Globalist
Will there be a second sizer at the gate to size up the personal item?
Old Jan 18, 2017, 8:51 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dciolli
Thanks Jon! We alays appreciate your updates. Glad to see some positive news (at least for CK and EXP).
Originally Posted by 869
Interesting stuff. Thanks Jon.
Originally Posted by fanger
Thanks for the tweets! very interesting- esp. the SWU news ^
Always a pleasure!
Old Jan 18, 2017, 8:53 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nutwpinut
Will there be a second sizer at the gate to size up the personal item?
Yes, so it seems: "New carry-on sizers will be rolled out which will show personal item and carry-on size limits."
(not from press release)
Old Jan 18, 2017, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by qazw1
If one is gold, does this mean still one checked bag for free as well as one carry on plus a personal item?
No one on a Basic Economy fare can bring a rollaboard/non-personal item on, even if one has status.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 9:01 am

How are they going to really implement the baggage thing?
AA Page says
" Baggage restrictions
Each person can board with 1 item such as a purse or small handbag that fits under the seat. You won't have access to overhead bins.

All other items must be checked at ticket counters. If you take them to the gate you'll pay an extra $25 gate service fee per item plus the applicable bag fee."

The big loophole now for baggage is that if you have more than are allowed to check free, you can check it free at the gate. They're always asking for volunteers to check to save overhead space. Suddenly now certain people will get charged? We'll see.

And it says on the AA.com page that elite and credit card holders will be exempt from the "no overhead space available." Can you imagine the DYKWHIA drama that will now be playing out in the aisle where someone is wanting to put something overhead (If there's even any room left) but nobody knows if they're "entitled" to?

I'm just gonna keep doing MCE and hopefully ignore all this.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 9:03 am

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
OT: I cannot believe "rollerboard" has become acceptable. Ugh.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.