Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Unofficial: Complimentary CK/EXP Premium Economy Upgrades?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2017, 8:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al

Finally some good news on the AA front...

HT: JonNYC and OMAAT (http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...my-upgrades-2/).

- Systemwide Upgrades (SWUs) will still be valid for upgrades to the business class cabin, even on aircraft with premium economy

- CKs and EXPs will receive complimentary day of departure upgrades from economy to premium economy

-FlyerBeek
Old Jan 17, 2017, 8:57 pm

Whooo! I wonder if there will be discounts or whatnot for paying for upgrades in advance.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 9:00 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Former EXP/Current PLT / Total Rewards - Diamond / Hilton HHonors - Gold
This give me a glimmer of hope for AAdvantage. Also this:

But it gets better than that for American flyers. American will also offer complimentary day of departure upgrades from economy to premium economy for Concierge Key and Executive Platinum members. What’s not yet official is how these will be processed (i.e., whether you can pick any available premium economy seat 24 hours out, if there will be a waitlist cleared at the gate, etc.). As far as I know, this will make American the first airline to offer complimentary upgrades to international premium economy.
is truly Going for Great™ in a completely non-sarcastic way.

Also, I wonder if the same is true for Miles & Copay upgrades?
Old Jan 17, 2017, 9:22 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
And I wonder.

Will PE ticketed passengers have higher priority than Y ticketed pax for swu/miles upgrades to business class regardless of $$$ paid for ticket EQD to date or status?
Old Jan 17, 2017, 9:25 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
Could see this being done for a short-term period (eg, 1 year) to introduce Y pax to the new cabin.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 10:05 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Any chance lower elites will be able to use 500 mile upgrades to get into premium economy? That actually seems reasonable to me; a US east coast-Europe trip would require about eight upgrades, cash value of $320, which strikes me as fair for a space-available upgrade to a cabin that sells for a ~$500 premium.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 11:41 pm

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
Originally Posted by ashill
Any chance lower elites will be able to use 500 mile upgrades to get into premium economy? That actually seems reasonable to me; a US east coast-Europe trip would require about eight upgrades, cash value of $320, which strikes me as fair for a space-available upgrade to a cabin that sells for a ~$500 premium.
i doubt it. 500 mile upgrades have always been restricted to domestic trips.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 11:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I wonder if there will be anything for a lower level/non status companion on the same PNR as the CK/EXP, like the ability to upgrade using stickers domestically.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 1:55 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by SFO_FT
Could see this being done for a short-term period (eg, 1 year) to introduce Y pax to the new cabin.
Perhaps. And my bet is that whenever the complimentary EXP upgrades to Premium Economy end on say international TPAC flights, this benefit's demise won't be too far removed (in one direction or another) from another SWU devaluation. But this could be years off and probably depends on what DL and UA end up doing.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 1:56 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Col Ronson
i doubt it. 500 mile upgrades have always been restricted to domestic trips.
Not true. For AA international flights to/from the Bahamas, Bermuda, Canada, Mexico, and other various parts of the Americas beyond the US, they have been allowed for a long time.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 1:56 am

Originally Posted by Col Ronson
i doubt it. 500 mile upgrades have always been restricted to domestic* trips.
So have complimentary EXP upgrades, up until now...

I'm not saying it will be the case, but that isn't very good reasoning.

*North-America
Old Jan 18, 2017, 2:08 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ssbmoro
I wonder if there will be anything for a lower level/non status companion on the same PNR as the CK/EXP, like the ability to upgrade using stickers domestically.
Using 500 mile stickers on say international TPAC and TATL flights ? I doubt it. I expect it to turn out to be either complimentary for an EXP companion or discounted but requiring additional money (or miles or other instrument) for a companion or companions; and of those, I expect the complimentary to be far less likely to be around longer term if at all. But time will tell where this all goes.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 4:41 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by carlosdca
And I wonder.

Will PE ticketed passengers have higher priority than Y ticketed pax for swu/miles upgrades to business class regardless of $$$ paid for ticket EQD to date or status?
I think that would be ver fair. To my eye, a fair upgrade priority would be
1. (Any) W -> J (C), CK, EXP, PPRO, PLAT, Gold, no-status
2. (Any) Y -> J (C), CK, EXP, PPRO, PLAT, Gold, no-status

I presume that W -> J will require fewer miles (or no copay) than Y -> J? But either way it will be one SWU? And of course W upgraded to J would earn 1.5 EQMs while Y upgraded to J would earn 1.0 EQMs. So these policies would still give an incentive to purchase W even if you're upgrading. (Whether it's worth it will of course depend on the details.)
Old Jan 18, 2017, 6:12 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
This is a relief, for sure.

Still, it makes the SWU calculus a bit more complicated: As a leisure EXP (I'll probably requalify for 2018 on manufactured EQD), when I waitlist for a Y>J SWU, I'd now be behind all CK's, all EXP's with more EQD, all EXP's ticketed in W, and (possibly, depending on how they structure this) PP's, Plats, and Golds ticketed in W.

Of course, that still might not be very many people, given the small size of the W cabin, the fact that nobody of lower status will have SWU's, and the overall number of SWU's will be about half what it was last year.

Thanks to JonNYC and OMAAT for the (relatively) good news!
Old Jan 18, 2017, 7:47 am

Programs: AA EXP (2MM), Marriott Tit
Originally Posted by ashill
I think that would be ver fair. To my eye, a fair upgrade priority would be
1. (Any) W -> J (C), CK, EXP, PPRO, PLAT, Gold, no-status
2. (Any) Y -> J (C), CK, EXP, PPRO, PLAT, Gold, no-status

I presume that W -> J will require fewer miles (or no copay) than Y -> J? But either way it will be one SWU? And of course W upgraded to J would earn 1.5 EQMs while Y upgraded to J would earn 1.0 EQMs. So these policies would still give an incentive to purchase W even if you're upgrading. (Whether it's worth it will of course depend on the details.)
The scenario you describe is logical and customer-friendly. What does that tell you about its chances of being implemented?
jhartvu likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.