Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Speculation: Possible Routes (Flights) and Hubs, Discussion - 2015 on

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: Speculation: Possible Routes (Flights) and Hubs, Discussion - 2015 on

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2016, 11:16 am
Suspended

I still personally put AA MIA-JNB firmly in the FT pipe-dream category.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 1:22 pm

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by DA201
Personally, I don't think MIA-JNB is even on the top of AA's priority list. They are so weak in Asia (they only serve PEK, HKG, ICN, NRT/HND, and PVG), and will probably try to build up an Asian gateway at LAX before focusing on Africa. They also like to build on partnerships, so CX/JL partnerships in Asia will encourage more flights.

Additionally, BA has so many seats to South Africa, and AA seems happy flying customers USA-LHR-CPT/JNB.
Yep, comments and actions by management indicate all future longhaul expansion for the next several years will be LAX-Pacific. Maybe AA could take a stab at applying for one of the new slots for HND from DFW/JFK/ORD, but DL is very likely getting one of them, unless DOT has had enough of their whining.

Speaking of HND, wasn't LAX-NRT going to be canned this year, especially since AA could potentially be operating LAX-HND during the daytime this coming fall? I'd figure an LAX-HND daytime flight would make LAX-NRT redundant. I wonder if AA would consider upgauging from a 788 to a 77W as a daytime LAX-HND sounds like a potential goldmine for HVFers despite the weak Japanese economy.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by DA201
Additionally, BA has so many seats to South Africa, and AA seems happy flying customers USA-LHR-CPT/JNB.
I wouldn't say that BA has 'so many' seats in the sense of excess capacity. BA's SA flights are generally full and high yielding, so there's arguably room for a bit more - and in fact IB has recently launched its own flights to JNB to cream off some of that demand.

Of course none of that means AA will fly MIA-JNB.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 3:40 pm

Programs: DL GM, AA PLAT, Hilton Gold, AMEX Plat
Responding to JonNYC, the 77Ls were on the market a couple years ago. AA looked at the economics of the planes and MIA-JNB, as well as a few other routes and decided to pass.

And to the poster above, not exactly sure how the JV is structured, but since JNB is techically a TATL destination, BA may have a say in whether AA serves that market, since it may adversely impact a market for BA where they don't have to share revenues. Again, haven't the seen the JV text, but AA and BA collaborate a lot on route planning, since a money loser for one = a money loser for everyone.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by Longboater
Speaking of HND, wasn't LAX-NRT going to be canned this year, especially since AA could potentially be operating LAX-HND during the daytime this coming fall? I'd figure an LAX-HND daytime flight would make LAX-NRT redundant. I wonder if AA would consider upgauging from a 788 to a 77W as a daytime LAX-HND sounds like a potential goldmine for HVFers despite the weak Japanese economy.
I'm not sure how "official" the proposed axing of LAX-NRT was. I could see AA keeping both routes, using LAX-HND for high-revenue O&D traffic and LAX-NRT for connections as well as O&D Y traffic. If AA does get a daytime slot pair at HND for the LAX flight, I can easily see it upgauged to the 77D (maybe the 45J version). On the other hand, I don't see LAX-NRT remaining a 777, whether or not LAX-HND goes to daytime.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 7:11 pm

Does anyone think that AA would open direct DFW to DUB routes?
Old Mar 13, 2016, 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by YtravelF
Responding to JonNYC, the 77Ls were on the market a couple years ago. AA looked at the economics of the planes and MIA-JNB, as well as a few other routes and decided to pass.

And to the poster above, not exactly sure how the JV is structured, but since JNB is techically a TATL destination, BA may have a say in whether AA serves that market, since it may adversely impact a market for BA where they don't have to share revenues. Again, haven't the seen the JV text, but AA and BA collaborate a lot on route planning, since a money loser for one = a money loser for everyone.
I believe the JV only covers North America-EU routes, not North America-Africa. Or at least that's what this page leads one to believe.

I wonder how profitable and competitive direct flight MIA-ACC/DKR-JNB would be with a 763/330; given the need for a 7-10 hour layover at LHR or MAD currently, even a direct 1 stop would be a massive improvement for AA and OneWorld. Don't forget that Delta initially built up the ATL-JNB market by using 767s via Dakar at first.

Originally Posted by YtravelF
I think MIA-DUB is probably first in line as AA's next DUB route (unless EI beats them there first).
Old Mar 13, 2016, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by smckenna3
DUB really isn't a high-yielding station. And is kind of overserved as it is with PHL/JFK/CLT/ORD flights. However, now that EI is part of IAG, it all depends upon what they plan on doing with the DUB hub (more flights and better banking to European stations). But even that type of re-structuring is a couple of years away.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 7:34 pm

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Fanjet
DUB really isn't a high-yielding station. And is kind of overserved as it is with PHL/JFK/CLT/ORD flights. However, now that EI is part of IAG, it all depends upon what they plan on doing with the DUB hub (more flights and better banking to European stations). But even that type of re-structuring is a couple of years away.
Hard to imagine premium traffic wanting to connect through DUB given the product that EI offers within Europe (a step up from Ryanair, but not a big one). I get the sense DUB will become a secondary hub catering to the, as is so aptly put in the UK, the "bucket-and-spade brigade".
Old Mar 13, 2016, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by scnzzz
Hard to imagine premium traffic wanting to connect through DUB given the product that EI offers within Europe (a step up from Ryanair, but not a big one). I get the sense DUB will become a secondary hub catering to the, as is so aptly put in the UK, the "bucket-and-spade brigade".
They could upgrade it if needed.

Also, the USA preclearance at DUB has some value to some travelers.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scnzzz
Hard to imagine premium traffic wanting to connect through DUB given the product that EI offers within Europe (a step up from Ryanair, but not a big one).
How is this different from what Iberia (or worse, Iberia Express) offers from MAD intra-Europe?
I get the sense DUB will become a secondary hub catering to the, as is so aptly put in the UK, the "bucket-and-spade brigade".
I think DUB will play an important role for connections within the UK and Ireland, allowing passengers to circumvent LHR.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't know that I'd agree that AA "overserves" DUB. Prior to IAG's acquisition of EI, I figured that AA should begin a seasonal daily BOS-DUB as EI flies it double and triple daily.

Between USA tourists to Ireland and Irish tourism to the USA, total traffic is about 1.1 million annually (each way), and is heavily weighted to the warmer six months.

Once EI joins the immunized joint venture, AA's only competitors to DUB will be UA and DL. As the dominant airline group to Ireland, I could see AA adding another flight or two, perhaps from BOS and maybe from LAX.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
They could upgrade it if needed.

Also, the USA preclearance at DUB has some value to some travelers.
Would be nice to see EI return to being a full service carrier under the IAG umbrella.

Preclearance is nice when it works. I've only had it coming in from Canada, and as I recollect it was every bit as painful as it can be stateside. GE fixes that problem.

The degree of choice a large hub like LHR provides makes a reasonably compelling case. (Yes, I know, it has its downsides, APD, routine delays and all). But absent significant growth at DUB and product upgrade for EI, I see it benefiting only those for whom it would not mean an additional connection stateside when otherwise on AA or BA metal.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 10:34 pm

How is this different from what Iberia (or worse, Iberia Express) offers from MAD intra-Europe?
None at all. I avoid IB, in part because it's pretty far out of the way for most EU connections compared to LHR, but also because it means an extra connection to travel on an ordinary carrier.

I think DUB will play an important role for connections within the UK and Ireland, allowing passengers to circumvent LHR.
Ireland? Sure. UK? I'd rather be on a BA 319/320 domestic than those benighted ATRs that serve markets other than LHR. Was on one recently EDI-DUB. I remember now why I tried to avoid them out of DFW before AA phased them out.

EI soft product - I don't think the CC really give a toss. One quick run down the aisle with the drinks-for-sale trolley, and then it's back to the galley to read magazines. Basically Ryanair with a shamrock livery.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FWAAA
I don't know that I'd agree that AA "overserves" DUB. Prior to IAG's acquisition of EI, I figured that AA should begin a seasonal daily BOS-DUB as EI flies it double and triple daily.

Once EI joins the immunized joint venture, AA's only competitors to DUB will be UA and DL. As the dominant airline group to Ireland, I could see AA adding another flight or two, perhaps from BOS and maybe from LAX.
EI is already bringing back LAX-DUB service. The one advantage DUB has is that it can be served from several stations in the U.S. with a 757. As for BOS... I don't think that AA would add a frequency, but rather take over one or two frequencies from EI once the ATI kicks in. So that EI can in turn use that aircraft for something like MIA-DUB or LAS-DUB service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.