FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: Speculation: Possible Routes (Flights) and Hubs, Discussion - 2015 on (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1813826-archive-speculation-possible-routes-flights-hubs-discussion-2015-a.html)

miamigrad Jan 11, 15 4:59 am

ARCHIVE: Speculation: Possible Routes (Flights) and Hubs, Discussion - 2015 on

This thread is dedicated to discussion of current, and announced, routes of the new American Airlines (comprised of American Airlines and US Airways), changes to existing service levels (reductions, enhancements, drops) as well as speculation for future routes within the network.

~ New American Forum Moderation Team

NOTE: The current thread is here.

factory81 Dec 9, 15 3:38 pm

Why does AMS receive only receive 1 flight from PHL from AA? Delta has AMS served from like half a dozen locations - even Portland.

It seems like I am going to have to route thru LHR...

Qatar does a 777-200 that I think stops in AMS on the way to Doha tho?

ashill Dec 9, 15 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by factory81 (Post 25839462)
Why does AMS receive only receive 1 flight from PHL from AA? Delta has AMS served from like half a dozen locations - even Portland.

Because AMS is a DL hub (in cooperation with their long-time joint venture partner KLM) and AMS is not really a first-tier European city. But AA's AMS presence is indeed pretty weak. (pmAA didn't serve AMS at all on their own metal.)

Longboater Dec 9, 15 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by ashill (Post 25839481)
Because AMS is a DL hub (in cooperation with their long-time joint venture partner KLM) and AMS is not really a first-tier European city. But AA's AMS presence is indeed pretty weak. (pmAA didn't serve AMS at all on their own metal.)

This and BRU is pretty weak. PHL-BRU/AMS sound like perfect candidates to be upgauged to CIP 767s when major international crossfleeting can begin after next summer.

bse118 Dec 9, 15 4:21 pm

Delete. Others beat to it. Silly mobile browser.

lakersown81 Dec 9, 15 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by factory81 (Post 25839462)

AMS is a SkyTeam hub I believe.

cmd320 Dec 9, 15 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by lakersown81 (Post 25840765)

Correct. DL and KL are JV partners so AMS is basically a DL hub. Otherwise they would likely have AMS flight from cities like MSP, PDX, etc.

N830MH Dec 9, 15 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by lakersown81 (Post 25840765)

Right! DL is only for Skyteam partners. They have a lots of flights. They flies from AMS to BOS, JFK, DTW, MSP, SLC, SEA, ATL, PDX and no one anyone else.

JonNYC Jan 7, 16 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by roadwarrior84 (Post 25613870)
A very knowledgeable insider at AA has told me they plan on announcing the DFW-AUH 2x/wk frequency..

Originally Posted by JonNYC (Post 25613880)
Have heard the same.

this one making the rounds again:
http://airwaysnews.com/blog/2016/01/...air-berlin-ow/

...Etihad on days when it does not operate into DFW, but the likely reason for this gap is that American Airlines is strongly considering a sub-weekly operation into Abu Dhabi on its own metal.

ubernostrum Jan 7, 16 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by N830MH (Post 25841261)
Right! DL is only for Skyteam partners. They have a lots of flights. They flies from AMS to BOS, JFK, DTW, MSP, SLC, SEA, ATL, PDX and no one anyone else.

Yup. Being another carrier's hub means you don't fly there ever.

That's why AA also doesn't offer flights to NRT (DL *and* UA hub), CDG (SkyTeam hub), FRA (*A hub), or to the domestic hubs of any other US carrier, like ATL, DTW, IAD, IAH, MSP, SEA, SFO, SLC...

(seriously, though, AMS is a moderately important European destination, and even though it's a SkyTeam hub UA flies there from EWR, IAD, IAH and ORD -- the lack of service has less to do with "it's some other carrier's hub" and a whole lot to do with pmAA's "eh, getting you to LHR is close enough" attitude toward Europe)

DWFI Jan 7, 16 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC (Post 25980199)

I'm sure it is being considered. There really isn't any other reason EY would not be at daily DFW service - their loads to DFW are exceptional and I have to assume their yields are no worse than other US gateways.

I bet there are a ton of moving pieces (and politics!) behind the scenes here that we are not aware of. My view remains that this route is possible but definitely not certain.

taxicabnumber Jan 7, 16 5:22 pm

Based on old information, or new developments/reconsiderations?

JonNYC Jan 7, 16 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by taxicabnumber (Post 25980660)
Based on old information, or new developments/reconsiderations?

Excellent question. I tend to strongly -assume- the former, based on last info I had received, but not based in anything more than that.

Longboater Jan 7, 16 9:26 pm

If AA does end up going forward with this, pretty safe to assume the two times a week would be Thursday and Saturday. I'm still not sold on how they plan on selling sixty premium seats on a flight that will primarily rely on connections in AUH. Wouldn't it be better to try it with the A350/789 when they arrive? I assume LAX-HKG is still a go.

JonNYC Jan 8, 16 7:54 am

Originally Posted by Longboater (Post 25981725)
... I assume LAX-HKG is still a go.

Yes, all signs point to yes on that.