Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

HELP DESK & FAQ: Gold and Platinum Status Challenge

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2017, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The current AAdvantage Gold and Elite status challenges supersede the 2016 Challenge, now obsolete.

Please read before asking questions. Read the Feb 2018 email sent Challengers in Post #1.

Please help update information or fill in the blanks by sharing what you learn.

NOTE: As of April 13:

I hope my email finds you and yours safe and well and having celebrated a nice Easter!

Thanks for reaching out to us regarding your AAdvantage® elite challenge. I understand your concern.

Please know we are monitoring this situation very closely and constantly evaluating how to best serve our members in this quickly changing environment.

At this time, we are not pausing or extending challenge end dates. If you are not able to meet the requirements contact us after the end date of the qualification period, April 30th when we are in a better position to evaluate any canceled travel due to the virus. At that time, we will review your account and evaluate the situation on a individual basis.

We sincerely appreciate your patience and understanding during this evolving situation.

As always, thanks for being an AAdvantage member! We appreciate you.

NOTE: AA is now accepting miles as well as dollars for Challenges, at 10,000 miles per $100.

NOTE: American Airlines generally doesn't offer status matches to elite members of other airlines' frequent flyer schemes; they offer paid Challenges, shortcuts to status. AA have made significant changes to the AAdvantage Gold and Platinum elite status challenge initiated 2016 (originally begun in 1998) available to anyone, regardless of status on AA or another airline (unless these people have attempted or completed a recent challenge, or are trying to use a challenge to regain status - that is not allowed). There is no publicly available documentation currently. Please update here as the information becomes available, e.g. signup fees.

Call +1.888.697-5636 for details and to sign up.

NOTE: There are also Corporate and Targeted status challenges offered to some levels of certain companies or targeted affinity groups; some may offer up to Executive Platinum status. These differ significantly from this challenge offered the general flying public for a fee, and are discussed here.

See the obsolete thread regarding the Challenge prior to 2016 here.

Frequently Asked Questions and Requirements

="3"%Q. What are the requirements for successfully completing a Challenge?

="3"%AAdvantage Gold status:Earn 7,000 Elite Qualifying Miles / EQM
OR fly 8 Elite Qualifying Segments / EQS
AND earn $1,000 Elite Qualifying Dollars / EQD
within a three month period
AND pay a non-refundable fee (see below)

See the "What are AA Gold / GLD benefits? Are they worth it?" thread here.

="3"%AAdvantage Platinum status: Earn 12,500 Elite Qualifying Miles / EQM
OR fly 16 Elite Qualifying Segments in three consecutive months
AND earn $2,000 in Elite Qualifying Dollars
within a three month period
AND pay a non-refundable fee (see below)

See the "What are AA Platinum / PLAT benefits? Are they worth it?" thread here.

Fees we know so far for Jan-Jun 2019 (same as 2018):

Fees we know so far for Jan-Jun 2019):
  • $180 PLATINUM challenge without interim status
  • $380 PLATINUM challenge with interim Gold status
  • $480 PLATINUM challenge with interim Platinum status

Fees we know so far for Jun-Dec 2019):
  • $140 GOLD challenge without interim status
  • $320 GOLD challenge with Gold interim status
  • $240 PLATINUM challenge without interim status
  • $430 PLATINUM challenge with interim Gold status
  • $540 PLATINUM challenge with interim Platinum status

Challenge begun on or before 15 June 2019: after successful challenge your earned status will be valid through Jan 31 2020

Challenge begun on or after 16 Jun: after successful challenge earned status will be valid through Jan 31 2021

NOTE: See FAQ: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA and partner airlines (2017 on) for further information about earning EQD credit on AA and partner airlines.

="2"%Q. When can I sign up for a Challenge? Can I backdate to include flown flights? How far out can I enroll?

Start dates are now anytime, not a particular date, and may be backdated as far five days (If you aren’t requesting and paying for interim status).

="2"%Q. How long will Challenge-earned elite status last?

2019 Rule: Challenges started prior to 16 June 2019 earn status good through 31 Jan 2020; challenges started 16 June or after earn status good through 31 Jan 2021. (It is the start date, not the date of the phone call or the date the challenge is completed, that matters.)
2018 Rule: Challenges started prior to 16 June 2018 earn status good through 31 Jan 2019; challenges started 16 June or after earn status good through 31 Jan 2020. (It is the start date, not the date of the phone call or the date the challenge is completed, that matters.)

="2"%Q. Are there restrictions on earning EQM for the Challenge?

Yes. To qualify, EQM must be earned on flights marketed* by AA's Joint Business Venture partners:
  • AA American Airlines
  • AY Finnair
  • BA British Airways
  • IB Iberia
  • JL Japan Airlines
  • QF Qantas as it is part of the JBA should work

* "AA marketed" = AA flight is displayed on your boarding pass

AA marketed fights earn as if flying AA, regardless of operating carrier. AY, BA and IB marketed flights must be operated by a oneworld airline; normally, JL and QF are generally the exceptions to this requirement.

="2"%Q. How many EQM do I earn per flown mile?

On AA marketed flights (AA flight on your boarding pass - regardless of operating carrier) and AY, BA, IB, JL and QF marketed flights you may earn, on qualifying paid fares:
  • 3 EQM per base mile flown on full F, J fares
  • 2 EQM per base mile flown in discounted Business and First fares
  • 1.5 EQM per base mile flown in Premium Economy
  • 1 EQM minimum per base mile in all other qualifying fares, 0.5 on Basic Economy
  • Earning should always be checked on the marketing carrier’s page on aa.com

For tables on aa.com showing EQM earning on partner airlines' specific fares, see here.

="2"%Q. Is there a passenger age requirement for the challenge?

No.

="2"%Q. Will my credit card that pays to $200 incidental fees cover paying for the challenge?

Reports from members indicate your credit card might indeed credit you up to $200 toward your challenge fee.

="2"%Q. Will my credit card spend EQD apply for the Challenge?

No. You must earn your Challenge-qualifying EQD on spend for travel under the same requirements as earning EQM for the Challenge.

="2"%Q. Will my baggage, upgrade and other incidental spend be calculated as EQD apply for the Challenge?

No. You must earn your Challenge-qualifying EQD on spend for travel under the same requirements as earning EQM for the Challenge.

="2"%Q. Where can I learn more about earning EQM on AA and partner airlines?

Read Earning AA Elite Qualifying Miles / EQM on AA, oneworld, partner airlines 2017 (particularly the wikipost at the top of the page) for further information about earning EQM on AA and its partners.

="2"%Q. Do status or class of service bonus miles in Business and First count toward my Challenge or "normal" status?

No. Class of service, status (and all "bonus") miles are Award (Redeemable) miles, not Elite Qualifying.

="2"%Q. Must I fly four segments at least marketed by AA?

No; there is no longer a requirement for earning AAdvantage status in 2017. You may earn Gold or Platinum status flying qualifying AY, BA, IB, JL or QF marketed flights for Challenge-earned AAdvantage status.

="2"%Q. How can I calculate miles flown for EQM calculations on partner airlines?

Distance calculations may be made reasonably with Great Circle Mapper (link).

="2"%Q. I've noticed some have been granted Gold upon enrollment. Can I?

This now depends on a fee paid at the beginning of your Challenge. See Challenge criteria above.

="2"%Q. Do I automatically gain Gold status when I earn 7,000 EQM on my Platinum Challenge?

The new policy is said to allow Gold upon fulfillment of Gold Challenge criteria. It is unspecified at this time if this is automatic, and won't apply if you paid for interim Platinum status.
Current policy appears to be that if you sign up for a Platinum Challenge without interim status then you will not be granted gold upon fulfilling the Gold Challenge criteria until after the last day of the Platinum Challenge should you happen to fall short of meeting the Platinum Challenge criteria yet still met the Gold Challenge criteria.

="2"%Q. If I earn Platinum through a Challenge, can I earn Platinum Pro with 25,000 EQM or Executive Platinum (EP) with 50,000 more EQM?

No. You must earn the full number of required EQM, EQD and EQS to earn higher status, regardless of Challenge status.

="2"%Q. Do I earn bonus miles, etc. on the flight I cross my Challenge threshold?

No. Status is awarded after the flight upon which the required threshold was crossed (some years ago, it was during and miles earning benefits applied to the earning flight - that has changed).

Q. Will my new status update automatically on my account and previously booked flights? Will my new status benefits be available automatically? How long does it take?

Once your miles post in your account, your status will normally update. But you might have to call AAdvantage Customer Service to have Your existing PNRs updated. The AA agent will remove, re-enter your AAdvantage number, which will cause the record to update.

="2"%Q. How often can I sign up for a Challenge?

First, one can not extend or retain status made through a Challenge with a subsequent Challenge. As well, knowledgeable members have posted AA generally allows two "status exceptions" in a five year period, and the Challenge is considered as a status exception. Buying status back would be considered a status exception as well. (However, AA may be getting more liberal about permitting challenges, according to some posts.)

See the first post for the known history of the AA Status Challenge.

LINK to archive of older posts from this thread.

Note: there is a "reingagement challenge" to get back miles lost for inactivity within 18 months after your miles were lost from account inactivity the last five years, which can be read about here: How to Reactivate / Restore Expired Miles – Reengagement Challenge (consolidated)

Print Wikipost

HELP DESK & FAQ: Gold and Platinum Status Challenge

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2018, 3:10 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by jungly
I am referring to this link:https://thepointsguy.com/2017/06/new...-track-option/Have any of you gotten these promotions to fast track into exec with $4k eqd in 90days?
Completely different, targeted fast track offers. A few here have received them, and they’ve been targeted at members of certain groups or sites (LinkedIn was one recent one), or to some flyers - some not frequent at all, others so-so, iirc. They’re rare, unpredictable and not something we can expect. Chances of getting one of these are both minimal and completely opaque. You can’t position yourself for these in any known way.

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 10, 2018 at 8:25 pm Reason: add LinkedIn
Old Feb 10, 2018, 5:03 pm

If you think you’re going to fall short by the end of the year (10.5 months from now), and status is this important to you, why not add in a couple flights over the next 6 months to make up the difference?

There’s plenty of time to do that without having to worry about buying up.

Also, maybe try to add in an extra connection on some of your flights to up the miles on the flights you’re already taking?
Old Feb 11, 2018, 5:26 pm

Programs: Air Canada 35K, Hilton HHonors Diamond; Marriot Gold; Hertz Presidents Circle
Hello there... chalk me up as another one of the guys doing the AA Platinum Challenge ... used to fly AA a lot back in the early 2000's but I know the flying game has changed significantly since then so I had a couple of questions to make sure I don't screw anything up...

I have an upcoming trip I need to book to LHR in April.. With the status challenge kicking off in March can I book this trip now and still get the credit (and more importantly the ability to use the benefits - specifically the main cabin extra seating - which as a tall person comes in handy).. or would I need to wait until March to book that trip? Also does it make a difference on whether or not you fly on AA metal or say BA metal - having both options available to me, would I receive the same credit ? For example theres an interesting BUF - CLT ; CLT-YYZ; YYZ-LHR route, but the YYZ - LHR is on BA (I'd like to fly through YYZ as the collegue I am going with is flying out of YYZ on that flight) but if I get a mileage ding or lack of a benefit - then it may not be worth it..

Thanks is advance for any advice and assistance given.. Again this is far more confusing than the days when it just mattered how many overall miles one flew.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 11:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Paupaaa
Hello there... chalk me up as another one of the guys doing the AA Platinum Challenge ... used to fly AA a lot back in the early 2000's but I know the flying game has changed significantly since then so I had a couple of questions to make sure I don't screw anything up...

I have an upcoming trip I need to book to LHR in April.. With the status challenge kicking off in March can I book this trip now and still get the credit (and more importantly the ability to use the benefits - specifically the main cabin extra seating - which as a tall person comes in handy).. or would I need to wait until March to book that trip? Also does it make a difference on whether or not you fly on AA metal or say BA metal - having both options available to me, would I receive the same credit ? For example theres an interesting BUF - CLT ; CLT-YYZ; YYZ-LHR route, but the YYZ - LHR is on BA (I'd like to fly through YYZ as the collegue I am going with is flying out of YYZ on that flight) but if I get a mileage ding or lack of a benefit - then it may not be worth it..

Thanks is advance for any advice and assistance given.. Again this is far more confusing than the days when it just mattered how many overall miles one flew.
First, please take a few minutes to read the information in the Wikipost at the top of the page; a number of your posted questions are already answered there. For example, it specifies you have three months to meet your EQ Mile and EQ Dollar goals.

As to benefits, you’ll get those when you get status - AA has allowed interim status, as described above, but most benefits are on AA other than stipulated oneworld benefits.

As to airline flown and earnings, that would depend on the marketing airline (I.e. flying BA operated, AA marketed “codeshare” vs flying as BA marketed, and the fare class flown. And, for those with status and cincerned about Award Miles, status.

You may also be interested in

GUIDE: Earning AA Elite Qualifying Miles / EQM on AA, partner airlines 2017 on

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...es-2017-a.html
Old Feb 12, 2018, 7:40 am

Founder Card challenge

I'm going apply for a Platinum challenge but am thinking of getting the Founders card instead since the challenge comes as a free benefit.
Does anyone know if the Founders Card challenge allows for platinum status during the challenge period?
Thanks.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 8:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mazrub
I'm going apply for a Platinum challenge but am thinking of getting the Founders card instead since the challenge comes as a free benefit.
Does anyone know if the Founders Card challenge allows for platinum status during the challenge period?
Thanks.
Your best bet is to ask the FoundersCard people.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 11:00 am

Programs: Air Canada 35K, Hilton HHonors Diamond; Marriot Gold; Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by JDiver
First, please take a few minutes to read the information in the Wikipost at the top of the page; a number of your posted questions are already answered there. For example, it specifies you have three months to meet your EQ Mile and EQ Dollar goals.

As to benefits, you’ll get those when you get status - AA has allowed interim status, as described above, but most benefits are on AA other than stipulated oneworld benefits.

As to airline flown and earnings, that would depend on the marketing airline (I.e. flying BA operated, AA marketed “codeshare” vs flying as BA marketed, and the fare class flown. And, for those with status and cincerned about Award Miles, status.

You may also be interested in

GUIDE: Earning AA Elite Qualifying Miles / EQM on AA, partner airlines 2017 on

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...es-2017-a.html

I did read... however no where did it mention anything about purchasing a flight PRIOR to status "kicking in" (or if it did I missed it and I apologized) .. That was basically the brunt of my question... Can I book now and go back in after the status kicks in and change my seats? Or is it locked in that since I purchased the flight as a nothing I fly as a nothing. I have seen quite a few postings of people who had status while booking a flight and keeping their seats even without status, but I have not seen postings reflecting the opposite of that... That was basically the jist of my question - with a few other things sprinkled in...

Again I've not seen any other postings reflecting someone without status purchasing a flight on say BA .. .then getting status with AA and attempting to then use their One World Benefits prior to boarding ... For example as of now I have already purchased a BA flight from LHR to DUB and have zero options or notification that I have one world status, because as if this minute I do not... But would that automatically be reflected on the BA site once my AA Platinum status kicks in ... or since I already booked said flight am I stuck?

Once again I apologize greatly if somehow I missed the answer to those questions, but as I am reading, those specific instances do not seem to be address and thus why I asked..
Old Feb 12, 2018, 11:44 am

It works like normal, other than being a shortened time period/qualification goals.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 11:49 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
I did read... however no where did it mention anything about purchasing a flight PRIOR to status "kicking in" (or if it did I missed it and I apologized) .. That was basically the brunt of my question.....
The important date for earning credit towards status is that on which the flight departs and it must be withing the three month challenge period. You will be entitled to the benefits as soon as the status is reflected in your account but you may have to ask an agent to remove and re-enter your FF# to be able to use them.
JDiver likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

I did read... however no where did it mention anything about purchasing a flight PRIOR to status "kicking in" (or if it did I missed it and I apologized) .. That was basically the brunt of my question... Can I book now and go back in after the status kicks in and change my seats? Or is it locked in that since I purchased the flight as a nothing I fly as a nothing. I have seen quite a few postings of people who had status while booking a flight and keeping their seats even without status, but I have not seen postings reflecting the opposite of that... That was basically the jist of my question - with a few other things sprinkled in...

Again I've not seen any other postings reflecting someone without status purchasing a flight on say BA .. .then getting status with AA and attempting to then use their One World Benefits prior to boarding ... For example as of now I have already purchased a BA flight from LHR to DUB and have zero options or notification that I have one world status, because as if this minute I do not... But would that automatically be reflected on the BA site once my AA Platinum status kicks in ... or since I already booked said flight am I stuck?

Once again I apologize greatly if somehow I missed the answer to those questions, but as I am reading, those specific instances do not seem to be address and thus why I asked..
As has been said by MADPhil, it’s not about when you buy a ticket. It’s about the three month window and whether you fly (and have bought) sufficiently to fulfill the criteria within that window on a qualifying flight (and fare class). And depending upon when that window is, your status will persist through 31 Jan of 2019 or 2020.

If you pay the higher amount that includes interim status, you will be able to experience and use all the perquisites that come with that status. If you have no status, you won’t be able to use any solely status-based benefit until you achieve that status. (If you buy a Challenge, you won’t be able to access a lohbfe if flying coach on otherwise qualifying flights just because you’re on a Challenge - you must have Platinum / Sapphire status to do that.)
Old Feb 13, 2018, 5:53 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, UA Premier Executive
Just joined the platinum challenge. There are some prices different from the wiki. (I should really figure out how to update it myself.)

$120 GOLD challenge without status during challenge
$500 PLATINUM challenge with PLT status during challenge

Also, learned that flights on a limited number of partner airlines (like Japan Airlines), do contribute to meeting the challenge. ("Inquire within")

I have the emails with the full requirements for both GOLD and PLATINUM challenges if anyone wants them. Or you can ask AA to email them to you when you call to ask about your situation.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 8:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by louienet
Just joined the platinum challenge. There are some prices different from the wiki. (I should really figure out how to update it myself.)

Also, learned that flights on a limited number of partner airlines (like Japan Airlines), do contribute to meeting the challenge. ("Inquire within")

I have the emails with the full requirements for both GOLD and PLATINUM challenges if anyone wants them. Or you can ask AA to email them to you when you call to ask about your situation.
Thanks for offering! ^ It requires 90 day’s and 90 posts to access Wikis here, but... you can forward the mails to me if you wish, and I’ll update the Wikipost with your numbers. (The figures displayed reflect 2017 Challenges.)

jdiver <at> mail.flyertalk.com
Old Feb 14, 2018, 9:36 am

Programs: AA Platinum, UA Premier Executive
Sent! Thank you.
JDiver likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 9:58 am

Programs: AA Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by louienet

Just joined the challenge as well, and paid $200 (instead of $240) for the Plat challenge without getting the status up front. (I'm currently Gold.)

Also -- they will backdate 5 days for you if you like, but ONLY if you do not accept the status up front.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 10:45 am

Will most likely sign up for the plat challenge after July 1st. Could do it sooner, but taking the wife along on a trip in August, plus that will set the expiration back. Don’t really need it, but AA will be the carrier for most of my travel for a while so might as well. Would be nice if the rumored challenge above for plat pro would come to light, but if not then so be it. The extra mileage bonus will be welcome, as some of the other benefits. Going to be flying it anyway, might as well get what you can.

Last edited by thunderlounge; Feb 15, 2018 at 9:24 am Reason: stupid typo :(

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.