Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Guide: JFK / New York J F Kennedy International Airport - MCT, Connection, etc

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Guide: JFK / New York J F Kennedy International Airport - MCT, Connection, etc

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2024, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by S80
There is an escalator up, I believe you have to go around to the left of the elevators, it's hidden behind.
Ah okay...I saw to the left of the 2 elevator banks what appeared to be a hallway but I didn't see anything resembling an escalator. Now I know.
Thanks
S80 likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 4:39 pm

T8 arrivals/immigration time

Yet another “piece of string” question, I suspect, but can anyone suggest how long I should expect to take from landing to kerbside?

I’ll be premium economy in an AA 777 from London, scheduled arrival 12:55pm on Friday 28th of July (I mention the specific date in case summer holiday traffic / upcoming 4th of July makes any difference). Non-US citizen, ESTA, no special status, though I’ve set up the MPC app as I’ve heard that might be a little quicker at Immigration.

I don’t currently have any hard deadlines to meet, just a slightly obsessive planner 😉. Though I am considering making evening plans to maximise my short visit to NYC.

Thanks.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 4:44 pm

Programs: OWS - AA Lifetime Platinum, BA nobody (blue)
You exit customs, facing the roadway, on ground level.

Around to the left there are two elevators.

Half-right, out close to the glass wall to the roadway, is the up escalator.
Markie and enviroian like this.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by Pete24601
Yet another “piece of string” question, I suspect, but can anyone suggest how long I should expect to take from landing to kerbside?

I’ll be premium economy in an AA 777 from London, scheduled arrival 12:55pm on Friday 28th of July (I mention the specific date in case summer holiday traffic / upcoming 4th of July makes any difference). Non-US citizen, ESTA, no special status, though I’ve set up the MPC app as I’ve heard that might be a little quicker at Immigration.

I don’t currently have any hard deadlines to meet, just a slightly obsessive planner 😉. Though I am considering making evening plans to maximise my short visit to NYC.

Thanks.
I don't have an answer -- I typically can do it in 15 minutes from doors open (maybe 30 minutes from wheels down), but that's as a US citizen with Global Entry sitting in J without any checked luggage -- other than to say your evening plans should be completely safe.
TWA884 likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by enviroian
When I cleared customs and immigration on last weeks BA flight I was on the basement floor baggage claim of T8. I needed to go up 2 floors to re-clear security for my flight to CLT. I only found a down escalator no up. Is the (slow) elevator up to departures the only way up?

FWIW I cleared GE in 2 minutes.
FWIW, I find the slow elevators the way to go, as you have to go up two escalators, usually standing behind people blocking your path if, like me, you prefer to walk up rather than just stand on the escalators. That being said, my guess the actual time difference between the two options is negligible. And if you happen to get on an elevator that makes a stop on the intermediate level, you've almost certainly lost any advantage you were hoping for. It's funny the things we think about trying to save a minute here and a minute there!
Old Mar 24, 2024, 5:16 pm

Thanks.
Good time to arrive. Take the train to mid-town (if that is your destination).
Old Mar 24, 2024, 5:24 pm
S80

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, 1MM, Hilton Diamond

Thanks.
You might be better asking off in the BA forum, as those folks will have more experience with the US arrivals than us folks with US citizenship (plus Global Entry).
Old Mar 24, 2024, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Blumie
FWIW, I find the slow elevators the way to go, as you have to go up two escalators, usually standing behind people blocking your path if, like me, you prefer to walk up rather than just stand on the escalators. That being said, my guess the actual time difference between the two options is negligible. And if you happen to get on an elevator that makes a stop on the intermediate level, you've almost certainly lost any advantage you were hoping for. It's funny the things we think about trying to save a minute here and a minute there!
The problem with the elevators is two fold there. First, there was large queuing to get on the damn thing and secondly to my amazement when I finally got in the car I said to myself "did engineers from Heathrow install these" because the cars are too small. There was one family with a cart that got on and rendered the car completely full just like that.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by Global321
Good time to arrive. Take the train to mid-town (if that is your destination).
I would do normally - I quite enjoy navigating the transport system in new places. But I’m going to have a ton of baggage on this trip (large personal suitcase, max-hold-size peli case of gear for an event, plus cabin backpack) so it’s going to be a taxi (or possibly Uber) job.

Pete
Old Mar 24, 2024, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by S80
You might be better asking off in the BA forum, as those folks will have more experience with the US arrivals than us folks with US citizenship (plus Global Entry).
Good point - I was browsing this forum for something else, and all the similar questions in this thread inspired me to ask mine. But the BA one would probably be better.

Pete
Old Mar 24, 2024, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by enviroian
The problem with the elevators is two fold there. First, there was large queuing to get on the damn thing and secondly to my amazement when I finally got in the car I said to myself "did engineers from Heathrow install these" because the cars are too small. There was one family with a cart that got on and rendered the car completely full just like that.
I’m pretty sure the Heathrow engineers also told the JFK engineers to program the elevator doors to remain open for at least 45 minutes before closing.
enviroian and catmndu like this.
Old Apr 11, 2024, 9:50 am

Programs: AA L/T Gold, BA Gold
Hi

I am fly on AA from BGI to JFK (in J) and then BA from JFK to LHR (in F).I have two hours between the flights. I'm UK passport holder and I do not have Global Entry.

I have not done a connection in the US for a long long time.
  1. Is that sufficient time to deal with any formalities?
  2. Do I have to collect baggage and recheck?
Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks
Old Apr 11, 2024, 10:40 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by jimmyw9
Hi

I am fly on AA from BGI to JFK (in J) and then BA from JFK to LHR (in F).I have two hours between the flights. I'm UK passport holder and I do not have Global Entry.

I have not done a connection in the US for a long long time.
  1. Is that sufficient time to deal with any formalities?
  2. Do I have to collect baggage and recheck?
Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks
You'll be flagged as a connecting passenger with a tight connection and be met on the jet bridge, as you get off your flight from BGI, by an agent who will provide you with a bright orange "Express Connection" card/ticket sleeve. That card will provide you priority processing at passport controls and TSA security.
Old Apr 11, 2024, 12:09 pm

Programs: AA L/T Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by TWA884
You'll be flagged as a connecting passenger with a tight connection and be met on the jet bridge, as you get off your flight from BGI, by an agent who will provide you with a bright orange "Express Connection" card/ticket sleeve. That card will provide you priority processing at passport controls and TSA security.
Thanks, do you have to collect luggage and recheck it?
Old Apr 11, 2024, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by jimmyw9
Thanks, do you have to collect luggage and recheck it?
Yes you will have to clear immigration, collect luggage, drop it off at the recheck point, and reclear security.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.