Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

2017 Flight [xx] Cancellation / Delay / Diversion etc. on [date] (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2017, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024

With hundreds of annual reports of and queries about delayed, diverted, canceled flights we have established this consolidated thread to prevent these from overwhelming other forum threads.

For assistance and useful resources when your flight is affected, see AA OSO, IROPS / IRROPS, travel policy, delay, cancel etc. resources (master thread)

● For information on current and recent AA flight delays, check out: AACargo.com

● For information on U.S. Airport Delays, check out: FAA Flight Delay Information

● For information about holds, delays, etc. on airports, flights, historical data check FlightStats.

KVS Availability Tool - read here for further information, with access to WSpan Operational Info.

ExpertFlyer also provides FLIFO / Flight Status Comments for current flights in it's Flight Status section here.

● For "translation" of FLIFO terms, use this page on FlyerGuide.

● For current and forecasted weather delays, use Weather.com Airport Delays

● To see a flight's path within the US radar areas and delay histories, use FlightAware flight tracking. (N.B. Some features require a free signup.)
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2017, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by AAway
Can someone please tell me if AA1209 SMF-DFW on 6/2 is listed as being cancelled due to tech or weather? Thank you!
FLIFO says it was canceled due to crew availability.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 9:56 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by AAway
Can someone please tell me if AA1209 SMF-DFW on 6/2 is listed as being cancelled due to tech or weather? Thank you!
Don't know, but appears that there are thunderstorms in Dallas right now.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 11:13 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
FLIFO says it was canceled due to crew availability.
Thank you. So, first it was delayed due to the storms in Dallas, then the air conditioning broke on the plane and the gate agent said it would be another six hours at best. I went ahead and called to rebook for the morning and got a hotel room. Later, I saw on FlightAware that it ended up cancelling. I was trying to determine, with my question, if it would be worth my time to try to request reimbursement from AA for the hotel room.
Incidentally, my flight tomorrow (which is not the first one of the day) is scheduled to be on that same aircraft. What do they do in this situation at an outstation such as SMF, contract local maintenance or fly in their own from another station with AA maintenance? Or does it just depend on the specific problem?
Old Jun 3, 2017, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Depends on the problem. I know my little local station has had a contract with one of our local flying services for basic maintenance - I've seen their truck pull up and a guy come onto the plane more than a few times.

Oh and it can't hurt to request reimbursement for the hotel.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 3:48 pm

AA150 3 June 2017 - Diversion and Cancelation

Anyone know what happened to AA150 from ORD-CDG last night? From flightstats, it looks like about 40 minutes before scheduled departure the destination was changed from CDG to JFK with a later recovery leg scheduled from JFK-CDG. The recovery leg (and seemingly AA121 today CDG-JFK) were canceled. The ORD-JFK leg was seemingly typical for ORD-NYC. http://flightaware.com/live/flight/A...340Z/KORD/KJFK
Old Jun 4, 2017, 6:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The destination change/diversion shortly before departure sounds like either a MX (that could be better fixed in JFK--maybe due to parts availability--or some ETOPS requirement that needed to be fixed before going out over the water but was fine for flying over land) or crew expected to time out, with replacement crew to be arranged for JFK. OTOH, I would hope that AA doesn't often fly even just a thousand miles over northeastern USA, with known mechanical issues beyond comfort issues such as broken toilets.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 7:34 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
A new one for me. I'm on AA 4211 a CRJ-200 operating PHL-IND. We pushed back close to on time then after 20 minutes of taxiing were ordered to return to the gate. It turned out we'd hit an orange traffic safety cone when pushing back and the maintenance supervisor saw it, despite the pilot not being aware, and wanted to make sure the plane was okay.

Total delay will be about 90 minutes.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 7:38 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Flt 64 JFK-zrh miscount = 1 hour+ delay (6/28)

I am posting what I saw and heard:
The flt was nearly full, at T-5 a GA was on board trying to sort out seating; an announcement was made on PA by I assume a FLT crew member "all ground personnel please depart plane...we are at take off time", the GA scurried off the plane.
We pushed back on time, but sat in lane for nearly 20 minutes, flt started toward runway, but per captains announcement re miscount, we headed back to gate.
I was seated in 21J, no pax deplaned from my row and back. After 10 minutes: "all counts are NOW correct", due to taxi maneouvers e needed more fuel(???).
We pushed back (20 minute delay waiting for PB team) at 7:15 pm. We got to runway and was #3 [6 pm-8 pm at JFK is "peak" dep period, why so few planes?]
Someone screwed with count, perhaps if GA was given more time we wouldn't have been delayed an hour.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 12:37 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
mis-count issue NOT addressed

I sent a "complaint" to AA re delay noted in my post above.
The response I got was just a FORM LETTER noting that delays happen and hoping that I fly on AA in the future [I have 5 itns yet to be flown--so unless I cancel them, I WILL be flying AA in the future]
I was hoping they would address the mis-count issue.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 1:03 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
My wife was scheduled on AA 664 KOA-PHX on July 5th which was canceled. They were onboard waiting for a member of the flight crew (or cabin crew, not 100% sure) to arrive. As soon as they arrived, the flight was immediately canceled. Unconfirmed rumor is that the crew member was intoxicated. Or it is possible that the crew would have timed out and the rumor is inaccurate.

Hotel and food vouchers were provided. My wife was rerouted via HNL on Hawaiian and then AA and will arrive 22 hours late. No other real options to get home sooner unfortunately. She's OWE and we've been through worse delays.

Any other FTers on this flight with more information?
Old Jul 6, 2017, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by dylanks
Or it is possible that the crew would have timed out and the rumor is inaccurate.
It is virtually impossible that the crew would have timed out if they were reporting from the hotel for a 10:50pm flight that ended up being reset for 12:20am and presumably canceled before that time.

However, there are other crew-related reasons beyond the rumor that might have caused the cancelation (eg., a crew member being legitimately sick, or unwilling to fly for some reason [pilots can decline the equipment, for instance]). If the crew member was in fact intoxicated when reporting for duty, today is going to be a bad day to be that person.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 5:19 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Received a bit more of an update from my wife after she had time to sleep... it was a flight attendant that was late. Passengers were onboard and waiting for the flight attendant to arrive. Upon the flight attendant's late arrival, the flight was canceled within a minute or two because the flight attendant was ill (unclear if genuinely sick or intoxicated).
Old Jul 6, 2017, 10:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
LGA-SDF today, diverted to BNA (180 miles south) because captain decided to swing south of some storms to avoid them but then didn't have enough fuel to make it back up to SDF.

Flight attendant didn't know what to do, so acted like we were done for the day (get your valet bags back, etc., but we didn't). Gate agent thought she needed to keep us all by the gate and have us line up and give her our boarding passes or seat numbers, but then she decided we didn't. Gate agent thought it was a "gas and go," but then I happened to see the captain who said he'd think about what to do after refueling. Gate agent said a supervisor was coming over, but no one ever came.

Gate agent disappeared for a while, general lack of communication. Board had a departure time but that came and went without acknowledgement. I went to the lovely little AC and had a couple drinks, they called and someone said "boarding in 20 minutes," I went down in 15 minutes, agent appeared for a moment so I asked her for an update and she said "boarding in 20 minutes." I laughed, she didn't know why. She disappeared again. I went to Starbucks, came back, waited a few minutes, then the agent came back to the podium and said "We welcome group 1 . . . group 2, 3, 4, 5678allgroups" and off we went. All in all ~2 hours delayed.

I was expecting more customer service. At least a supervisor to come give an update. Not even a "flight delay impacting your travel" email!
Old Jul 11, 2017, 9:32 am

It looks like AA203 AMS-PHL is diverting to Bangor for the 3rd day in a row.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 3:46 pm

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL
any reason AA 995 on 10 JUL was a cheerful 15 hours late?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.