FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   2017 Flight [xx] Cancellation / Delay / Diversion etc. on [date] (consolidated) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1812165-2017-flight-xx-cancellation-delay-diversion-etc-date-consolidated.html)

JY1024 Jan 1, 2017 3:07 pm

2017 Flight [xx] Cancellation / Delay / Diversion etc. on [date] (consolidated)

Please use this thread to report and discuss American Airlines and American Eagle flights occurring in 2017.

Happy New Year - may your flights be uncomplicated and on time. The 2016thread can be found http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html.

Thanks! American AAdvantage Moderation Team

SkiUtah Jan 4, 2017 12:15 pm

up to 3 inches predicted for CLT Saturday 1/7 cancellations/delays??

I know for colder places like New York, Denver, Minneapolis, Chicago a 1-3 inch storm causes delays but thats about it. With CLT do they have alot of equipment to handle this? Its not too common in the south, but we are not talking a huge amount either, so i dont know what to think.

I have a connection on saturday 1/7 thru CLT at 11am should i be nervous or try to get them to reroute thru PHL. Ironically i would expect snow much more in phl then CLT and the reason i chose CLT was to avoid the snow :cool:

only PHL flight left is quite a bit later and would really be a pain, but if it means i would arrive that day, dont want to be stuck in CLT all day or the next day when flights get cancelled.

When does AA usually issue waivers? is this enough to justify one or am i just comparing this to the atlanta ice storm that paralyzed the city.

SkiUtah Jan 4, 2017 12:21 pm

https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/USNC0121:1:US

lds89 Jan 4, 2017 1:26 pm

I grew up in Charlotte so I can give you some background

3 inches in Charlotte is like 1-3 feet in some places in the NE in terms of ability to handle. The entire city shuts down (for several days as it melts/reices), doesn't have enough snow plows, etc. Groceries stores are overrun. A substantial (more than a dusting) snow in CLT happens about 1-2x a year on average. 3 inches is enough for a NWS Winter Storm Warning, for example. CLT is closer to ATL than DC/PHL in terms of ability to handle snow

Same goes for the airport. If I were you I'd immediately try to rebook elsewhere as soon as the waiver hits and if the forecast remains because they will proactively cancel hundreds of flights. Even if you get to CLT you could be stuck (maybe even in the airport). That being said, CLT is often on the rain/snow line, and small shifts in weather patterns can leave it with rain or being dry. I'd keep monitoring and make a move Thurs/Fri if they start providing a waiver and the forecast remains looking bleak. During a CLT snow storm last year they provided the waiver about a day out, right when they started to realize they were going to have to cancel flights

LovePrunes Jan 4, 2017 1:36 pm

watch the aa.com advisories page from now till day of your flight, but don't be surprised to not see CLT listed for weather waivers until the storm is, say within 6 hrs of hammering CLT or any other city. They are just now listing the Colorado resort cities and Denver for a snowstorm that is underway there.

wrp96 Jan 4, 2017 6:55 pm

1 Attachment(s)
They've issued advisories which include CLT. Call now.

wrp96 Jan 4, 2017 6:57 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Also DFW

flyerCO Jan 4, 2017 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by FlightNurse (Post 27686883)
Yes, I also don't understand this, if the airlines are willing to sell a ticket with a tight connection then those passengers should be looked after and made sure the connecting flight is held (for a reasonable amount of time) instead of being told, so sorry you missed your flight and have to sit around the airport for the next 4-6 hours for another flight.

I do like that aa.com will at least alert you if there's a "tight" connection. I don't know if phone agents do this, but at least it's an attempt to forewarn the passenger. However I do agree that airline have a tendency to sell unrealistic connection.

dfresh Jan 5, 2017 5:20 am

Jan 4 - ATL-LAX Delayed for 6 hours, then cancelled

Maintenance issue in LAX, delayed arriving plane. Then crew timed out at 12:30 in the morning. Put on 6:45AM flight 2515, which is now delayed 3 hours due to crew time as well.

I will say, the Admirals Club staff were very helpful and they have an upgraded list of whisky in ATL!

SkiUtah Jan 5, 2017 8:58 am

I called AA just now. had to show the agent where the waiver was on aa.com they didnt think there was one for CLT :cool:

Unfortunately the options are not very good for saturday. the only other one stop itinerary avoiding charlotte would be in the evening, im currently booked on a morning flight so this would be alot of time lost and a short connection in phl which seems risky on a day with iffy weather in the network effecting hubs.

snow is suppose to be happen in CLT between midnight and 7am from what i saw (not in clt just connecting). My flight is suppose to land CLT at 10am and connecting flight depart at noon. Tough to know what to do here, might work out if i just wait, maybe i just want it too? If my flight to clt is late there are plenty of later flights to DEN , fear is that my first flight to CLT gets cancelled.

anyone seeing the weather for CLT and have thoughts on Saturday operations or is it too far out still?

LovePrunes Jan 5, 2017 1:40 pm

The Southeast is going to be a mess. Probably won't be much accumulation in Charlotte from the forecast, looks like it's going to be more from Raleigh and to the Northeast towards Norfolk. However, like you said, it's the rest of the route network, with planes not being where they're supposed to be, that will affect you, not just how much snow Charlotte gets. If it was me, I'd book thru PHL and hope for the best.

BThumme Jan 5, 2017 4:03 pm

I was affected with Denver travel yesterday. Just wanted to confirm - AA said they won't rebook on UA due to weather, is that true? I had a night flight to Denver cancelled, asked if I could get on a United flight to Denver that was still scheduled and they said for weather they don't.

tsg20 Jan 5, 2017 5:03 pm

I'm due to fly DFW-AUS-LHR tomorrow on an AA award booking in J, the first leg on AA and the second on BA. I'm a bit worried that the DFW-AUS leg could be vulnerable to being cancelled due to poor weather, and obviously I would prefer to be on a direct flight DFW-LHR anyway.

Is there any chance that the travel waiver would mean it would be possible to book on a direct DFW-LHR flight (which is presumably less likely to be canceled?), or will they only be prepared to reroute to avoid passing through waiver cities?

BThumme Jan 5, 2017 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by tsg20 (Post 27711684)
I'm due to fly DFW-AUS-LHR tomorrow on an AA award booking in J, the first leg on AA and the second on BA. I'm a bit worried that the DFW-AUS leg could be vulnerable to being cancelled due to poor weather, and obviously I would prefer to be on a direct flight DFW-LHR anyway.

Is there any chance that the travel waiver would mean it would be possible to book on a direct DFW-LHR flight (which is presumably less likely to be canceled?), or will they only be prepared to reroute to avoid passing through waiver cities?

yep. All that maters is you keep the same origin and same destination, which you would be. I just turned GRR-DFW-DeN into grr-clt-phx-den today.

tsg20 Jan 5, 2017 5:46 pm

Thanks - didn't have any luck phoning, as they said they can't change a multi-stop to a non-stop. Guess we will keep our fingers crossed that the DFW-AUS flight goes out OK!