Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

2017 Combined AA Domestic Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2016, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
AA/US Domestic Dining (including Canada, Mexico, & the Caribbean)

Note: this thread is about meals served on AA-US. There is another thread for the contingent that wishes to debate and discuss linens as a primary subject, including related presentation issues: Linens / presentation debate for meal service on AA, US / both.

PLEASE: DO NOT POST OVERSIZED IMAGES; PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE AND REPEAT IMAGES IN YOUR QUOTED POST. /Moderators

Welcome to the 2017 Domestic Dining thread and the resulting discussion/trip reports/photos/shared experiences. Here, in this wiki post, I'll strive to explain what you should expect on AA flights in First and Business, meals-wise. Keep in mind that there are many domestic flights, so there are quite a few parameters to keep track of.

Basically, in its best condensed form, you should expect to receive a meal between 4:59am - 8pm on flights longer than 900 miles, which equals about two hours in the air. From that point, there are exceptions, and specific timing parameters.

What to Expect - Mainline:
Keep in mind that this list is not entirely inclusive, and there may be certain exceptions and/or abnormalities.

• Up to 699 miles: Light snacks such as a fig bar, cookies, and/or pretzels
  • 700-899 miles: Warmed nuts, a snack plate (fruit/cheese, pita/hummus, or spinach dip/pita), and a cookie
  • 900-1298 miles: A meal (fruit/breakfast entree; salad/entree) followed by a cookie; no meals between 1:30-4pm
  • 1298-2199 miles: A full meal including an appetizer, with cake for lunch desserts and premade ice-cream for dinner desserts
  • 2200 miles and above: Same as 1298-2199 miles, but consists of made-to-order sundaes or a cheese plate for both lunch and dinner desserts

What to Expect - Regional:
Keep in mind that this list is not entirely inclusive, and there may be certain exceptions and/or abnormalities.

• Up to 175 miles: A light snack mix along with beverage service
  • 176-899 miles: Sweet and savory, organic/healthy snack choices (snack basket)
  • 900-2199 miles: Warm mixed nuts, two meal options, and dessert. (For flights over 2200 miles, you will receive the same selection of snacks from 176-899 miles as a pre-arrival snack. All regional meal flights leaving after 8:00pm will also receive sweet and savory snacks as the only option. Editor's note: A regional jet for 2000+ miles? Hope that never happens!)

All of the meal flights that fall under the above timing parameters will receive two choices; normally, one meat and one vegetarian.

Longer westbound flights leaving from the east coast (transcontinental; non-premium) are not officially exceptions, but some flights after 8pm receive a full dinner service (such as the 8:05pm MIA-SAN flight, or the 8:30pm PHL-LAS flight). Additionally, non-premium transcontinental red-eye flights will receive snack basket service upon departure, then a continental breakfast box prior to arrival.

Official Exceptions:
The following flights all fall under 900 miles, but will receive a full meal service, with the exception of flights leaving between 1:31-4pm. Despite some of the listed flights being over 900 miles, they are remaining listed here, based on the AA website for documentation purposes.

• Chicago (ORD) - AUS/BDL/BOS/DCA/EWR/JFK/LGA/MSY/RDU
  • Dallas (DFW) - BJX/ORD/MEX/QRO/SLP
  • Fort Lauderdale (FLL) - PAP
  • Los Angeles (LAX) - DEN
  • Miami (MIA) - DCA/IAD/PAP
  • New York (LGA) - ATL
  • Phoenix (PHX) - MZT

Additional Information:
  • JFK-LAX/SFO; MIA-LAX are considered premium transcontinental flights, and as such, receives a more refined service with three meal choices, per-course service, printed menus, and tray/tablecloth linens in both F/J. Those flights now are the only domestic flights in the system to offer special meals as another option (which can be reserved by either preordering online, or calling). Red-eye flights will receive a full "supper/snack" meal service, which is basically a condensed dinner service.

• Hawaiian meal service is very similar to what you'd expect on 2200+ mile flights, but there also will be Hawaiian rolls served, along with a pre-arrival continental breakfast/snack (dependent on the length of the route). Tropical warmed nuts are also currently served.

• All flights over 700 miles, regardless of a meal being served or not, will receive warm mixed nuts and a cookie.

Disclaimer: The editor of this Wiki does not guarantee the information presented above will always be accurate or properly followed by AA, given catering mishaps, irregular operations, rogue crews, or mismanagement. For the best up-to-date information, it would be prudent to check AA's website constantly for any updates, or call AA. The editors of this Wiki will keep this Wiki updated as often as possible.
Print Wikipost

2017 Combined AA Domestic Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2017, 11:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold, QF Platinum, SQ Silver
MCO-DFW

This lunch time flight was on an older 737 which was a clear step down from the much nicer and newer A321 I enjoyed on my previous AA flights (no seatback screens, no USB sockets and so on). The flight attendants were rather on the old and cranky side but at least did their work with high professionalism so nothing to complain about really. Received proper PDB and I selected a Bloody Mary which was excellent. I had pre-ordered my meal and after a serve of those delightful hot nuts, I received the cheese lasagna as ordered. It was vegetarian which wasn’t clear in the original meal description but still tasted delicious. They served some steamed squash with it which sounded a bit odd I found but turned out to be a tasty addition to the meal. The side salad came with a delicious packaged dressing and once again, the hot Pretzel rolls were really really tasty. Again, very well done American!
Attached Images    
Old Sep 1, 2017, 9:34 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
For the late PHL-DEN flight @ 9:10 PM, in First, I know there is no dinner. However, what do they serve? Is it just nuts and the snack basket? Or will there at least be the new cookie and/or a Fruit & Cheese plate?
Old Sep 1, 2017, 9:37 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by Sydneyberlin
This lunch time flight was on an older 737 which was a clear step down from the much nicer and newer A321 I enjoyed on my previous AA flights (no seatback screens, no USB sockets and so on). The flight attendants were rather on the old and cranky side but at least did their work with high professionalism so nothing to complain about really. Received proper PDB and I selected a Bloody Mary which was excellent. I had pre-ordered my meal and after a serve of those delightful hot nuts, I received the cheese lasagna as ordered. It was vegetarian which wasn’t clear in the original meal description but still tasted delicious. They served some steamed squash with it which sounded a bit odd I found but turned out to be a tasty addition to the meal. The side salad came with a delicious packaged dressing and once again, the hot Pretzel rolls were really really tasty. Again, very well done American!
Thanks for all the reports! ^
Old Sep 1, 2017, 11:17 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Honors Gold, JetSmarter, Global Entry, CLEAR
LAX - MCO 8/30 @ 21:15 (red-eye flight)

Name:  IMG_5257.jpg
Views: 1572
Size:  136.5 KB

This was half decent. We were also given nuts as an appetizer(?) but they weren't even warm....
Old Sep 3, 2017, 12:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
DFW-HNL
763 (1-2-1)
Lunch

PDB of bubbles, OJ, water.

Hot towels and nuts with drink of choice. I tried taking a pic of the starter but my phone didn't keep it for some reason. I don't usually eat seafood, but the crab starter was good despite the "baguette" being stale.

Had the pork chops which were REALLY dry

Then as I was almost done the FA on my aisle apologized and dropped off the mushroom sauce that should have been on top of the meal. The sauce was tasty, a little too salty but also a little too late

pre-arrival tomato and cream cheese snack

Old Sep 3, 2017, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
DFW-HNL
763 (1-2-1)
Lunch
Out of curiosity, was this the 9am or 11am flight?
I'm on the 9am in a few weeks and wonder if the 9am meal will be lunch or breakfast.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 1:33 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by SFO777
I'm on the 9am in a few weeks and wonder if the 9am meal will be lunch or breakfast.
The 9:00 a.m. Flight#123 is lunch also.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by davesam12
The 9:00 a.m. Flight#123 is lunch also.
Thanks davesam12. Although I'm not sure that's a positive considering the look of that pork chop. I'll try to remember to ask for the sauce.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 1:52 pm
Suspended

11am....the 9am, at least this week, was a 777. Can't make it to DFW from LGA in time for the 9am and not taking the 5am out of Newark.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

11am....the 9am, at least this week, was a 777. Can't make it to DFW from LGA in time for the 9am and not taking the 5am out of Newark.
Unfortunately, the week of the 25th looks like 763s. Just hoping mine doesn't get swapped for the old 2-2-2 version.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 3:53 pm
Suspended

Unfortunately, the week of the 25th looks like 763s. Just hoping mine doesn't get swapped for the old 2-2-2 version.
Fingers crossed for you!
Old Sep 3, 2017, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Was this really Cream Cheese? Seems so bland
Old Sep 3, 2017, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
I thought I read that all AA wide bodies have been converted or are in the shop to be converted?
Old Sep 3, 2017, 10:06 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Sydneyberlin
My flights lately have been mostly a choice of the chicken/feta salad or the squash lasagna. I've been happy with the lasagna every time.

Thanks for all the reports! ^
Yes, thank you! ^
Old Sep 4, 2017, 1:58 am

Programs: AAdvantage
JFK-LHR Gluten Free in J

Just suffered through one of the worst meals I've ever had on AA. 777-200 in J out of JFK to LHR (flight #106 - I know it's international, making a point about special meals). As someone with food allergies I always carry my own food but I'm willing to give the airline a chance - sometimes they surprise me. I got a surprise all right - ordered the Gluten Free meal in advance and received a pork-like substance served over a bed of liquified cauliflower (at least that's what I think it was). It was inedible. If my phone battery wasn't dead I'd have snapped a photo. But I'm not sure it could have been shared without making people ill. It was gruesome.

In fairness, the appetizer wasn't that bad, consisting of the usual micro-salad and fruit plus a cold piece of salmon over chilled quinoa (which I'm really not a fan of). Should have stopped there and saved myself some queasiness. Word to the wise - avoid the "special" meals and bring your own. Yikes.

Last edited by birddogmax; Sep 4, 2017 at 3:19 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.