Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[2017 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Dec 31, 2016, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Welcome to the 2017 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)
NOTE: The older AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

[2017 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2017, 9:37 pm

How early can we check bags at Ord / pit ?
Does 7am for a 8 pm flight possible ? Will prefer not to carry my bags during my day in the city.
Also can we check one bag in the morning and another bag in the evening ?
Thank you very much
Old Nov 13, 2017, 12:34 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite
Hi guys. I'm trying to decide which Oneworld alliance partner program to join. All others have mileage calculators that tell me how many points/miles I'll earn from alliance partners. I can't find one for AA so I can't figure out if it's the best one for me or not. How do I find out earnings for AA partners?

Here is the Oneworld flights I'll be taking over the next 12 months (all economy, probably lowest economy):

JFK to Hong Kong (Cathay Pacific)
Hong Kong to Manila (Cathay Pacific)
Bangkok to Ammann (Royal Jordanian)
Ammann to Tel Aviv (Royal Jordanian)
Madrid to Lima (LATAM)
Lima to Cusco (LATAM)
Old Nov 13, 2017, 2:04 am

Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer
Hi guys. I'm trying to decide which Oneworld alliance partner program to join. All others have mileage calculators that tell me how many points/miles I'll earn from alliance partners. I can't find one for AA so I can't figure out if it's the best one for me or not. How do I find out earnings for AA partners?

Here is the Oneworld flights I'll be taking over the next 12 months (all economy, probably lowest economy):

Madrid to Lima (LATAM)
Lima to Cusco (LATAM)
Check out the partner links on this page: https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...r-airlines.jsp
Old Nov 13, 2017, 2:20 am

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador; Hyatt Globalist; AA EXP; UA 1K
Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer

Madrid to Lima (LATAM)
Lima to Cusco (LATAM)
http://www.wheretocredit.com
Old Nov 13, 2017, 6:50 am

Programs: SWA- A pref
I'm new to international travel, trying to figure out the best way to start to navigate.

I have no status with any other carrier but WN. I have one Intl flight booked in Dec. DEN-LHR with return LHR-DFW-SAT. All on fare code J. The outbound was marketed as AA but operated by BA, return are AA. Base fare $7000

Will I reach Gold for this flight? If I chose to do a status challenge, i wouldn't get status rewards points bonus for this flight correct?

I will have 6-8 more intl flights next year, with US departure to U.K., Asia and Middle East, all J fares. Will it hurt me to explore different airlines?

Thanks for your advice.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 7:31 am

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
For more info on an earlier question I had:

For fare code I (discounted first class), if you go standby:

(1) Do you go directly into first class, or do you have to clear the standby list and then clear some type of upgrade list?

(2) If there's 1 first class seat left on a flight and you're #1 on the standby list for that flight, will you get the seat before any upgrades are processed?

(3) Or do you go to whatever seat is available on the flight you're going standby for, which could be coach?

Fare code I doesn't seem to be an instant-upgrade or Y-up or whatever coach fare; it seems to be a discounted first class one (i.e., a true first class fare).

I had a first class/fare code I ticket yesterday and there was 1 first class seat left on the later flight I wanted to take. I figured that somehow I'd be put in coach so I just took my original flight, which wasn't ideal.

Thanks.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 8:45 am

Programs: HHonors Gold/AAdvantage /Delta Skymiles
Originally Posted by CGRA
Yes more room and yes more noise / light from the galley. He never bother me much and I’ll pick up 2 again anytime
Thanks for the heads up. I guess I have to decide between noise and light, or more room.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by gnggng
Thanks for the heads up. I guess I have to decide between noise and light, or more room.
The noise is not that bad nor light. Especially that you’re not directly facing the light if you’re by the window so the consol kind of protect you. Can’t remember the center section
Light can be solved with an eye mask or ... if they’d close the curtains. Maybe I’m unlucky but they seem to never close any curtain in the front cabin (same issue with 77w)
Old Nov 13, 2017, 6:40 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by NYCommuter
For more info on an earlier question I had:

For fare code I (discounted first class), if you go standby:

(1) Do you go directly into first class, or do you have to clear the standby list and then clear some type of upgrade list?

(2) If there's 1 first class seat left on a flight and you're #1 on the standby list for that flight, will you get the seat before any upgrades are processed?

(3) Or do you go to whatever seat is available on the flight you're going standby for, which could be coach?

Fare code I doesn't seem to be an instant-upgrade or Y-up or whatever coach fare; it seems to be a discounted first class one (i.e., a true first class fare).

I had a first class/fare code I ticket yesterday and there was 1 first class seat left on the later flight I wanted to take. I figured that somehow I'd be put in coach so I just took my original flight, which wasn't ideal.

Thanks.
I by definition is discounted business class. Are you booked on I and trying to get first class on a 3-cabin flight, or are you booked on Y and trying to upgrade to business?

I am assuming by saying stand by, you actually mean pending upgrade with a confirmed seat in economy or business. When you standby for a flight and get cleared, you get the class of service you stand by, unless you are upgraded at the same time.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 9:02 pm

I know this was possible before. Are we still able to split a two-person pnr? i.e. 2x OW awards ... want to cancel 1 passenger ... can we split the pnr and then cancel?

Thanks.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 9:57 pm

Programs: AA EP
Yes

Originally Posted by CodeAdam10
I know this was possible before. Are we still able to split a two-person pnr? i.e. 2x OW awards ... want to cancel 1 passenger ... can we split the pnr and then cancel?

Thanks.
CodeAdam10 likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
I'm having trouble with my AA app on my iPhone. Basically it won't show an upcoming trip and it indicates connectivity problems. When I try to use the "find trip" feature with the record locator number, the app shows a message that I need to update the app except there isn't an update. Does AA have a problem with their iPhone app? I haven't updated my iOS so I don't know if it could be an issue.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by gaobest
I'm having trouble with my AA app on my iPhone. Basically it won't show an upcoming trip and it indicates connectivity problems. When I try to use the "find trip" feature with the record locator number, the app shows a message that I need to update the app except there isn't an update. Does AA have a problem with their iPhone app? I haven't updated my iOS so I don't know if it could be an issue.
Have updated the app few days ago and it's working well on iOS11.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 6:36 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
My itinerary says "terminal change" despite all flights being through American Airlines. Do I have to re-check bags and go through security a second time at PHL?
Old Nov 14, 2017, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by CodeAdam10

Thanks.
Is it not possible to cancel one PAX without spliting ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.