Search

OW Reward w/ Stopover?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2016, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Platinum
OW Reward w/ Stopover?

Hi All,

Looking to book a OW reward flight using AA miles for NYC-SYD or NYC-MEL. What are my best airline options (assuming availability) if I want to include a multi day stopover in Asia? I'm flexible on location of the stopover (Seoul, Hong Kong, Beijing, etc.)...do any OneWorld airlines offer this stopover as a free option? I could possibly book a RT ticket if that would help. Thanks in advance!
Old Dec 26, 2016, 9:22 am

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
If you are intending to use AA miles, then you must comply with the AAdvantage rules.

Those rules do not allow stopovers (meaning longer than 24hrs) between origin and destination. Also they do not allow routing via Asia.
So if you want Asia in there then you will have to redeem two awards: Nth America to Asia and Asia to South Pacific

You can find more information in the AA forum
Old Dec 26, 2016, 10:40 am

Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List(Gold for life), CX Diamond
Originally Posted by Devyan1
Hi All,

Looking to book a OW reward flight using AA miles for NYC-SYD or NYC-MEL. What are my best airline options (assuming availability) if I want to include a multi day stopover in Asia? I'm flexible on location of the stopover (Seoul, Hong Kong, Beijing, etc.)...do any OneWorld airlines offer this stopover as a free option? I could possibly book a RT ticket if that would help. Thanks in advance!
You are asking in Oneworld forum, so, I assume that you are looking for a FFP that permits multiple stopovers.

At least,
JL FFP permits 3 stopovers.
CX FFP permits 2 stopovers.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Wasabi Tofu
You are asking in Oneworld forum, so, I assume that you are looking for a FFP that permits multiple stopovers.

At least,
JL FFP permits 3 stopovers.
CX FFP permits 2 stopovers.
And BAEC still offers a distance-based, multi-partner award that permits multiple stopovers. But watch out for hefty surcharges on certain carriers.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 10:56 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Hi All,

Questions regarding AA mileage redemption rules are best directed to the AA board, which is where I'm moving this thread.

Gardyloo
Oneworld moderator
Old Dec 26, 2016, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Platinum
Thanks too all...yes I am looking to redeem on a partner airline which is why I posted in The Oneworld forum
Old Dec 26, 2016, 1:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The only way that you can use AA miles to go from US to Australia via Asia is with the use of 2 awards . This will cost 37.5k/70k/110k (economy/business/1st) US-Asia2 plus 30k/40k/50k for Asia 2-Australia

Since this is 2 awards, there is no issue with stopovers

To use a 40k/80k/110k award for US to South Pacific , you need to go directly from North America to South Pacific without entering another region
Old Dec 26, 2016, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks too all...yes I am looking to redeem on a partner airline which is why I posted in The Oneworld forum
You can redeem flights on partner airlines of An FFP of a OneWorld member airline.

The thing is, each member's program has its own rules. So if you are using AA miles you go by AA's rules which do NOT allow stopover and do NOT allow transit in 3rd region, i.e. going thru Asia. To achieve that with AAdvantage you need 2 awards.

Of course you can use JL, CX or BAEC program for the same itinerary - again each subj to its own charts and rules.

So you have to first decide WHICH FFP you would be using before others can make meaningful suggestion to you.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 2:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Happy

So you have to first decide WHICH FFP you would be using before others can make meaningful suggestion to you.
The poster does say in the 1st post that he is wanting to use AA miles

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.