Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Is the Class Code on a printed BP the same as Fare Code

Old Dec 5, 16, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Free Agent

Yesterday I got rebooked (several times...in several different cities) and now I'm wondering if I got booked into full fare Y and F, as shown on the BP - or if those are just the cabin of service.

I can't look online for a receipt because the original ticket was purchased on UA and then endorsed over to AA because of UA flight that went mechanical (trust me, I looked...it's not there).

Also, despite flying dozens of flights a year on AA, I don't have a single BP in my possession...
Old Dec 5, 16, 12:05 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by PBIGuy View Post
Yesterday I got rebooked (several times...in several different cities) and now I'm wondering if I got booked into full fare Y and F, as shown on the BP - or if those are just the cabin of service.

I can't look online for a receipt because the original ticket was purchased on UA and then endorsed over to AA because of UA flight that went mechanical (trust me, I looked...it's not there).

Also, despite flying dozens of flights a year on AA, I don't have a single BP in my possession...
The one on your boarding pass is the actual booking/fare code. So if it says Y, you're in full fare Y.
Old Dec 5, 16, 2:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
You are on Y because UA booked due to IRROP, make sure you have your AAdvatange#, you can check online, the BP should have a PNR#.
Old Dec 5, 16, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Free Agent
Thanks! I was hoping that was the answer. My day started in Alaska and ended in Florida three routings later (which is probably why the agent booked my upgrade in F - just to keep the line of weary travelers moving).

The good thing is that this actually makes me requalify for PLT next year and I had given up.
Old Dec 6, 16, 4:21 am

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
Yeah during IRROPS agents just book into F J or Y codes for convenience. I had a SWU upgrade from J -> F so technically i was flying "A" class but IRROPS i was rebooked into "F" so i got the mileage/bonuses for flying F instead of J.
Old Dec 6, 16, 8:45 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
IME the boarding pass fare code isn't the final indicator during rebooking.

Several times when I've been rebooked my new boarding pass will show J or Y, however I still only earn based on the original fare class. But other times I've also earned as if it were a full Y or J fare. All depends on how the AAgent actually processes it, it can go both ways, YMMV.
Old Dec 6, 16, 10:28 am

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by JJeffrey View Post
IME the boarding pass fare code isn't the final indicator during rebooking.

Several times when I've been rebooked my new boarding pass will show J or Y, however I still only earn based on the original fare class. But other times I've also earned as if it were a full Y or J fare. All depends on how the AAgent actually processes it, it can go both ways, YMMV.
but in this case the ticket was sent over from UA to AA so not sure how AA would know what the original UA fare class is much less map it to the appropriate AA one
Old Dec 6, 16, 12:05 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, HH Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold
Originally Posted by PBIGuy View Post

The good thing is that this actually makes me requalify for PLT next year and I had given up.
Congrats! It's nice when you get something positive out of an IRROPS mess...
Old Dec 6, 16, 12:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by neo_781 View Post
but in this case the ticket was sent over from UA to AA so not sure how AA would know what the original UA fare class is much less map it to the appropriate AA one
Yep, definitely agree it will most likely credit as full Y when rebooked from another carrier.

Search this Thread