Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

What happens to MCE seats that are unsold?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2016, 6:06 pm
Original Poster

Hi, all.

I'm on the fence about the whole $150, even tho I know MCE is much better than coach.

Can I ask what happens 24 hrs before departure? Do these seats then become "free" for the taking at online check-in? Or do you still have to pay for them?

Thank you.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 6:15 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
Originally Posted by suswang8
Hi, all.

I'm on the fence about the whole $150, even tho I know MCE is much better than coach.

Can I ask what happens 24 hrs before departure? Do these seats then become "free" for the taking at online check-in? Or do you still have to pay for them?

Thank you.
They become "Free" for GOLD members at T-24 (instead of 1/2 price before that.) If you are asking if you can score one at online checkin - it's been reported....but, YMMV
Old Nov 30, 2016, 6:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, DL PM
Hi, all.

Thank you.
They don't become free, except for AA Golds and oneworld Ruby. Passengers without seat assignments will be assigned to them if no other seats are available, otherwise they'll go out empty.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 6:19 pm

I would not characterize MCE as "much better" unless you are tall.

MCE seats are equally narrow as standard economy seats. I find that seat width is a far more important factor in comfort, and no I am not fat -- I wear 28" waist jeans.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 8:36 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by davie355
I would not characterize MCE as "much better" unless you are tall.

MCE seats are equally narrow as standard economy seats. I find that seat width is a far more important factor in comfort, and no I am not fat -- I wear 28" waist jeans.
At 193 cm / 6'4", I have a different point of view than you. MCE is a knee saver for me.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 8:42 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by JDiver
At 193 cm / 6'4", I have a different point of view than you. MCE is a knee saver for me.
At 6'3", I agree completely.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 11:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Just move into them just before takeoff. If you want to be a good boy, ask the FA.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 11:51 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Originally Posted by oysterhead43
Just move into them just before takeoff. If you want to be a good boy, ask the FA.
that won't work. On my last several flights, FAs checked MCE seats with the flight manifest. People who self-upgraded were told to go back to their original seats or pay for the upgraded seat.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 12:12 am

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
Originally Posted by oysterhead43
Yeah no don't do that. Everyone who pays for those seats (being an elite or shelling out $$$) will hate your guts, and FAs will catch you anyways. I've seen FAs send self-upgraders back plenty of times
Old Dec 1, 2016, 8:53 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by Col Ronson
Yeah no don't do that. Everyone who pays for those seats (being an elite or shelling out $$$) will hate your guts, and FAs will catch you anyways. I've seen FAs send self-upgraders back plenty of times
^ It's pretty easy, especially on domestic flights, for FAs to spot seat poachers because they usually scrutinize the seat maps on their handheld devices to identify where the ExPlats are for the free drink and snack item.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 9:44 am

Programs: AA PPro, 1MM
Originally Posted by linglingfool
At 6'3", I agree completely.
A mere 6'1" and MCE makes a world of a difference, especially on long-haul flights.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 10:45 am

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by phazedowt
A mere 6'1" and MCE makes a world of a difference, especially on long-haul flights.
I'm a 5'7" 120 pound woman and I agree about the legroom - my knees hit the back of the seat in front of me (in economy) on many aircraft. Can't even imagine who you tall guys go through - the legroom in economy is Draconian.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by phazedowt
That's why UA, DL, AA, B6 and soon AS make extra legroom seats available for purchase. They're happy to test your willingness to pay for that world of difference.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 11:40 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
If the flight looks almost full (all free seat were taken), just check in at the airport and you will get a MCE for free.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 11:45 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Hi, all.

Thank you.
Welcome to Flyertalk! ^

Do you currently have an assigned seat?

My worry would be if I didn't have an assigned seat, and was on a long-haul flight, that I could be stuck in a middle seat somewhere.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.