FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   What happens to MCE seats that are unsold? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1805808-what-happens-mce-seats-unsold.html)

suswang8 Nov 30, 2016 6:06 pm

What happens to MCE seats that are unsold?

Hi, all.

I'm on the fence about the whole $150, even tho I know MCE is much better than coach.

Can I ask what happens 24 hrs before departure? Do these seats then become "free" for the taking at online check-in? Or do you still have to pay for them?

Thank you.

Madison Guy Nov 30, 2016 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by suswang8 (Post 27548872)
Hi, all.

I'm on the fence about the whole $150, even tho I know MCE is much better than coach.

Can I ask what happens 24 hrs before departure? Do these seats then become "free" for the taking at online check-in? Or do you still have to pay for them?

Thank you.

They become "Free" for GOLD members at T-24 (instead of 1/2 price before that.) If you are asking if you can score one at online checkin - it's been reported....but, YMMV

jay_dubya Nov 30, 2016 6:15 pm

Hi, all.

Thank you.

They don't become free, except for AA Golds and oneworld Ruby. Passengers without seat assignments will be assigned to them if no other seats are available, otherwise they'll go out empty.

davie355 Nov 30, 2016 6:19 pm

I would not characterize MCE as "much better" unless you are tall.

MCE seats are equally narrow as standard economy seats. I find that seat width is a far more important factor in comfort, and no I am not fat -- I wear 28" waist jeans.

JDiver Nov 30, 2016 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by davie355 (Post 27548909)
I would not characterize MCE as "much better" unless you are tall.

MCE seats are equally narrow as standard economy seats. I find that seat width is a far more important factor in comfort, and no I am not fat -- I wear 28" waist jeans.

At 193 cm / 6'4", I have a different point of view than you. MCE is a knee saver for me.

linglingfool Nov 30, 2016 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 27549352)
At 193 cm / 6'4", I have a different point of view than you. MCE is a knee saver for me.

At 6'3", I agree completely.

oysterhead43 Nov 30, 2016 11:03 pm

Just move into them just before takeoff. If you want to be a good boy, ask the FA.

cynicAAl Nov 30, 2016 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by oysterhead43 (Post 27549725)
Just move into them just before takeoff. If you want to be a good boy, ask the FA.

that won't work. On my last several flights, FAs checked MCE seats with the flight manifest. People who self-upgraded were told to go back to their original seats or pay for the upgraded seat.

Col Ronson Dec 1, 2016 12:12 am

Originally Posted by oysterhead43 (Post 27549725)

Yeah no don't do that. Everyone who pays for those seats (being an elite or shelling out $$$) will hate your guts, and FAs will catch you anyways. I've seen FAs send self-upgraders back plenty of times

dw Dec 1, 2016 8:53 am

Originally Posted by Col Ronson (Post 27549867)
Yeah no don't do that. Everyone who pays for those seats (being an elite or shelling out $$$) will hate your guts, and FAs will catch you anyways. I've seen FAs send self-upgraders back plenty of times

^ It's pretty easy, especially on domestic flights, for FAs to spot seat poachers because they usually scrutinize the seat maps on their handheld devices to identify where the ExPlats are for the free drink and snack item.

phazedowt Dec 1, 2016 9:44 am

Originally Posted by linglingfool (Post 27549370)
At 6'3", I agree completely.

A mere 6'1" and MCE makes a world of a difference, especially on long-haul flights.

AA100k Dec 1, 2016 10:45 am

Originally Posted by phazedowt (Post 27551415)
A mere 6'1" and MCE makes a world of a difference, especially on long-haul flights.

I'm a 5'7" 120 pound woman and I agree about the legroom - my knees hit the back of the seat in front of me (in economy) on many aircraft. Can't even imagine who you tall guys go through - the legroom in economy is Draconian.

3Cforme Dec 1, 2016 11:16 am

Originally Posted by phazedowt (Post 27551415)

That's why UA, DL, AA, B6 and soon AS make extra legroom seats available for purchase. They're happy to test your willingness to pay for that world of difference.

fedechat Dec 1, 2016 11:40 am

If the flight looks almost full (all free seat were taken), just check in at the airport and you will get a MCE for free.

aztimm Dec 1, 2016 11:45 am

Hi, all.

Thank you.

Welcome to Flyertalk! ^

Do you currently have an assigned seat?

My worry would be if I didn't have an assigned seat, and was on a long-haul flight, that I could be stuck in a middle seat somewhere.