Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Maintaining Status... Defies 4th grade logic (to merge)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Maintaining Status... Defies 4th grade logic (to merge)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2016, 6:15 pm

Programs: AA1MM;AA EXP;Hilton HHonors Gold; Hertz Gold; Emerald Club; Admirals Club;
Agreed

Originally Posted by gajs
Was reading: is Platinum worth it, and found w/in the post this statement:

...I am in the middle of a corporate status challenge for Platinum. I will have 8,500 EQM of the 12,500 required EQM by the end of the week. I am thinking about buying a $350 mileage run fare (EWR to PHX) to get the remaining 4,000 EQM to qualify. Upon hitting 12,500 EQM, I will get 25,000 bonus redeemable miles and Platinum status through January 2018....

SO, for the bulk of us who earned STATUS with BIS miles over MANY years, the idea that this person gets Plat status, for UNDER $1000?? (maybe) and 25,000 bonus miles granted to them in addition, is just IMO, corporates statement of total indifference to its existing AA loyalty base.

I know I am a fool, but when the head village idiot at AA corporate laughs at you, and not with you...its time to chose another village.
I just requalified for the 7th consecutive year for EP. I totally agree. Time to chose another village.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 6:33 pm

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold
that is just the issue! AA DOESN"T stick to the published rules; it has many methods to circumvent what ever "rule" they have.

Don't want to spend $12,000 + 100K miles for EXP??? then get a CC that gives you $6000EQD for dollars not spent on AA airfares, or take a corporate challenge, or buy purple pony cotton candy on Wednesdays.... Its all the same foo-pah.

Corporate heads don't have a clue as to what's real out there. Their metrics tell them what should be, and thus it is.
Yup, there's a rule that you have to meet 12,000 EQD to qualify for EXP, and there's a second rule that you can get 6,000 EQD for spending on a CC. Sounds like they're following the rules they published to me.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 10:12 pm

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
I don't know why this thread annoys me, but the airline programs have always had strange combinations that can seem in conflict with one another. I think many are finding the elite game no longer worth the trouble. Even at the 11x multiplier, most of my trips are paying me fewer miles under the new points scheme than the old one, sometimes drastically so. Even the P fares I buy when I can.

If you are buying premium fares for your personal or business travel, then you get most of the perks already, so what difference does it make?
Old Nov 29, 2016, 4:47 pm

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
I've had years when I've spent over $9K and not made PLT while others have made EXP (reportedly) on less than $2K. If AA wanted status to be just about $ spent they would eliminate all other criteria. Come to think about it, it could easily end up that way - stranger things have happened in FF programs lately.....
Old Nov 30, 2016, 7:29 am

Programs: AA EXP 3.9MM and counting, HHDiamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Antipode
Yup, there's a rule that you have to meet 12,000 EQD to qualify for EXP, and there's a second rule that you can get 6,000 EQD for spending on a CC. Sounds like they're following the rules they published to me.
Yes, following"" the rules"". However, rule #2 was just recently made a new 'rule' - and I might add a 'rule' to which, and for which, many of your fellow AA flyers can't gain access to as of now, as it becomes available only in airports or on flights as of 1-1-2017, so I've read.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 7:35 am

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, DL PM
Yes, following"" the rules"". However, rule #2 was just recently made a new 'rule' - and I might add a 'rule' to which, and for which, many of your fellow AA flyers can't gain access to as of now, as it becomes available only in airports or on flights as of 1-1-2017, so I've read.
Rule #1 is a pretty recent addition too. In fact, both rules go into effect on the same exact day.
Your second point is somewhat true but irrelevant. The product is unavailable until January 1st, but the EQD requirements and waiver don't apply until then either. While barclaycard will only be advertising the card through aa on flights and in airports, there's no reason to think that online sign-up won't be available.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by makfan
Even at the 11x multiplier, most of my trips are paying me fewer miles under the new points scheme than the old one, sometimes drastically so. Even the P fares I buy when I can.
Yes agreed. for Sh-its and giggles did some dummy bookings to help me decide how the new system works for/against. IF I book BOS-Europe, coach, on AA metal or code shares, the bonus miles are 1/3 of what they were before. I see a $500RT. It breaks down as $100 fare, $200 fees, and $200 taxes approx. SO taking BOS-VIE as example: approx. 9,x00EQM, and ONLY -- $350EQD as an EXP, and 3,500ish Bonus miles. Before 100% match. and flying PE or J on BA gets me almost nothing better. [Did AA just ask [nudge] me to jump ship... to be a BA ff?]

With Boston as my home base, I have no AA metal options for international European travel. ALL BA or IB, and I don't necessarily want to fly west to JFK/PHL/ or ORD to then fly back over what I just crossed over to fly east to Europe! Asia has better options for me on AA. But again, as Ive stated: for the first time in many years have booked 2 international trips outside AA/oneworld to test the waters -- and have encouraged others with whom I have sone sway to do the same. Cheers!

Originally Posted by jay_dubya
Rule #1 is a pretty recent addition too. In fact, both rules go into effect on the same exact day.
Your second point is somewhat true but irrelevant. The product is unavailable until January 1st, but the EQD requirements and waiver don't apply until then either. While barclaycard will only be advertising the card through aa on flights and in airports, there's no reason to think that online sign-up won't be available.
JD - you realize, that in theory, a person can buy a RT BIZ seat to say Europe for $3-5+K first week of January, and then be pretty much guaranteed to be at or near the top spot for future upgrades through, I'd guess... most of the 1st half of the year? there are people who have seasonal travel, and if that occurs after Sept..they are pretty much SOOL.

Last edited by Microwave; Nov 30, 2016 at 7:58 am Reason: Corrected invalid quote syntax – merged consecutive posts for readability
Old Nov 30, 2016, 7:57 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
I'm lost here, read the thread, but what do you mean by rule #1?
Old Nov 30, 2016, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by arollins
I'm lost here, read the thread, but what do you mean by rule #1?
Rule # 1 - EQD requirement
Rule # 2 - EQD offset from barclaycard
Old Nov 30, 2016, 8:16 am

JD - you realize, that in theory, a person can buy a RT BIZ seat to say Europe for $3-5+K first week of January, and then be pretty much guaranteed to be at or near the top spot for future upgrades through, I'd guess... most of the 1st half of the year? there are people who have seasonal travel, and if that occurs after Sept..they are pretty much SOOL.
On that point - I totally agree with you. Switching to rolling EQDs to determine upgrade priority takes away any predictability and strategy when booking flights. While people argue that basing priority by request date is unfair to last minute expensive fares, I'm not convinced. Full Y fares were already given priority, so the advantage was booking early on a cheap fare vs late on a cheap fare. Now an EXP with generally high spend will be able to buy an O fare a week out and jump to the top of the list. Also, if I spend 25k a year with AA, am I less valuable to them because there happens to be someone else on the flight who spends 26k?
Old Nov 30, 2016, 8:39 am

am I less valuable to them because there happens to be someone else on the flight who spends 26k?
Lets face it: this [flying] is just the greyhound bus... of the new millennium. and as to your question: yes, less valuable than the person who spent $25,000.01 all the corporate office sees are methods to make the stock look better to investors, and to increase their own net worth [as is our/everyone's goal] maybe they should incognito fly their own airline sometime and see what its really like. Often quite good, sometimes remarkably so, and other times down right horrible. IMO the US people hoodwinked AA, and clearly outplayed them at the game.

I've been nearly 25 years enrolled. many of them were 85-95K years, some were flights taken in EMPTY planes after 9-11 [and which for the grace of G, I wan't on #25], 2 flights were partially spent on the floor in 1st tending to fellow passenger with health issues [don't do that anymore], some where near 200-250K [don't do those anymore either]. I sound like my father did 20 years ago. Its a different world out there, and its not looking all that good, I'm sorry to say.

Last edited by Microwave; Dec 1, 2016 at 4:40 am Reason: Corrected invalid quote syntax
Old Nov 30, 2016, 9:40 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Rule # 1 - EQD requirement
Rule # 2 - EQD offset from barclaycard
Thanks.
Me and +1 we both have the Barclaycard since 2014, and upgraded to the silver one last month when we both received the offer. I'm holding on to CITI to see what happens on that one.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 9:49 am

Programs: AA Ex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver
While people argue that basing priority by request date is unfair to last minute expensive fares,
The problem I have with the "date of request' system is that stuff gets reset and you are SOL. Especially with long haul flights and you make a change or the system just does something behind the scenes and it looks like you requested it that day vs months ago.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 7:03 pm

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
I've been nearly 25 years enrolled. many of them were 85-95K years, some were flights taken in EMPTY planes after 9-11 [and which for the grace of G, I wan't on #25], 2 flights were partially spent on the floor in 1st tending to fellow passenger with health issues [don't do that anymore], some where near 200-250K [don't do those anymore either]. I sound like my father did 20 years ago. Its a different world out there, and its not looking all that good, I'm sorry to say.
Can't argue much. I joined AA in 1990 and I forget how many consecutive years I've been EXP. Just seems like there is now nothing special about it. My lifetime level is getting devalued to third tier in the same year I'll finally hit 3MM.

Thank you for helping those distressed passengers.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 10:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
On that point - I totally agree with you. Switching to rolling EQDs to determine upgrade priority takes away any predictability and strategy when booking flights.
All I can say is that on my last 4 SWU requests, on the overwater segments, everyone on the list cleared. A couple flights went out with empty J seats. These were on LHR and HKG flights - not backwater destinations. I can't remember the waitlists/clearance on my SWU requested flights before those 4, or I would have included them.

So result would have been the same under the priority by dollars system. Strategy and predictability will still very much be part of the game.

The wailing in this thread is overblown.

YMMV

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.