Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Maintaining Status... Defies 4th grade logic (to merge)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Maintaining Status... Defies 4th grade logic (to merge)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2016, 11:22 pm

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
Originally Posted by chicagoflyer1976
I'm trying to figure out how one could spend >$12K and not be gold. Unless you were buying some very expensive short distance coach fares (e.g., I used to see $800 ORD>MSP), it doesn't add up.
+1
Old Nov 28, 2016, 12:19 am

Programs: BA GGL, FPC Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
Originally Posted by gajs
I don't know what constitutes airline logic, as nothing the airlines appear to do is logical, to me...(at least). However, what happens IF a flyer gets to 101K+ EQM miles at year end 2017, but spends only say $4000? What is their status then? Which factor has the greatest weight? [I'll bet $ spend] I haven't seen this addressed, and may have missed it in the thread. -- And for those of you who jump at the bait: now with the red/silver-barclay card, a $40K spend gets you $6000EQD --- 1/2 way to EXP, so in a way, there are multiple avenues to getting and maintaining EXP without meeting any of the stated requirements. Now that's airline logic.
What's their status? It's perfectly obvious: although they've met the EQM for EXP, they've only met the EQD for Gold. They get the lower of the two. Similarly a person who spends $12,000 and only gets 49,000 EQM, has met the EQM for Gold and the EQD for EXP and gets the lower of the two.

The Barclaycard spend is irrelevant in the absence of EQS or EQM.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 12:32 am

Programs: AA EP
Originally Posted by dt2191
I recently inquired about options to extend or maintain my EXP status and received an automated email immediately to pay $x,xxx to keep status. Finally I received an email reply (not automated) stating no consideration will be given. This is quite a slap in the face since my request cited I have exceeded the annual spend for EXP (requirement for 2017) and have not reached Gold.

To put in perspective: 1) I haven't reached Gold for 2016 (but will), 2) My spend through Sept 16 exceeds what WILL be required in 2017 for EXP, and 3) My spend through the end of 2016 will continue at typical higher rate...further surpassing the 2017 Spend requirement for EXP status if it were 2017. 4) Regardless of my spend in 2016, to keep my EXP status for 2017 I can pay a additional fee to AA of $x,xxx.

Or perhaps I am totally off base. Maybe AA airfares will drop so dramatically next year that trying to achieve per dollar spent would be difficult.
What special consideration were u looking for and why do u feel u are entitled when probabaly thousands of others aren't?
Old Nov 28, 2016, 2:36 am

Programs: AA GOLD
This brings up a broader question...why have miles been a part of the status-earning equation historically? It seems to me that AA would want to go out of their way to reward people that spend a lot on AA without doing much traveling in return. AA stockholders would presumably be perfectly happy with an airline that sold fewer passenger-miles with the same revenue. Indeed, I imagine such an airline would be more profitable.

OP spent $12k to go less than 25k miles, while at the end of the year I will have spent about $6.5k to go 100k miles. Even if I had $12k to get my miles, it seems like they'd still be the more appealing customer.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 2:38 am

Programs: AA GOLD
I'm trying to figure out how one could spend >$12K and not be gold. Unless you were buying some very expensive short distance coach fares (e.g., I used to see $800 ORD>MSP), it doesn't add up.
Transatlantic first from the east coast would have been my guess.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 8:23 am

Programs: AA EXP - Marriott LT Platinum - National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by bspahn
This brings up a broader question...why have miles been a part of the status-earning equation historically? It seems to me that AA would want to go out of their way to reward people that spend a lot on AA without doing much traveling in return.
AA does reward people with high spend, but low EQM's either through CK or gifted status.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by bspahn
Transatlantic first from the east coast would have been my guess.
The short segment thing works fine as well, and the segments don't even have to be that expensive. Just doing the LGA/BOS/DCA shuttle at something resembling walk-up fares would get you to $12,000 before 25K miles, although you'd cross the EQS threshold first.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I fully admit it was a contrived example (note: I did say Gold, not no status at all). Possible, but not very realistic. I see ORD-GRB or ORD-SGF K fares for $587 one-way ($533 base). Fly that 12 times round-trip and you get 12K EQM's, 24 EQS's, and 12,792 EQD's. In reality, cash is king and I wouldn't be surprised if AA gave such a flyer a bump to Gold even though they neither met the EQS or EQM requirements. I probably should have used something like 6K EQD in my example.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
I'm trying to figure out how one could spend >$12K and not be gold.
I'm trying to figure out the same and I'm struggling to find fares that come even close to being that bad. I mean, I guess if you're buying full F fares on flights like MCO-MIA 11 times. Not sure why anyone would ever do that though.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 2:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.9MM and counting, HHDiamond, SPG Plat
How you ask? flyer w no status walks up to JFK counter tonight buys JFK-LHR "discounted" Biz for $10,632. at 6500RT x2 = 13,000 EQM that's how. Agree with poster above, if $ spend is the linchpin factor for airline corporates, then why not simply state it, and get it over with. - Last night I booked international travel outside AA system for the first time in many years.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cmd320
I'm trying to figure out the same and I'm struggling to find fares that come even close to being that bad. I mean, I guess if you're buying full F fares on flights like MCO-MIA 11 times. Not sure why anyone would ever do that though.
Um, see my post directly above you?? ORD-GRB or ORD-SGF are $587 one-way in Coach (K fare -- not even full Y). 12 roundtrips on these routes will get you over 12K EQD's without meeting Gold EQM or EQS requirements.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA1K, 1MM,AA Exec. Platinum, Global Entry, Nexus
those cards are not available??

Originally Posted by gajs
I don't know what constitutes airline logic, as nothing the airlines appear to do is logical, to me...(at least). However, what happens IF a flyer gets to 101K+ EQM miles at year end 2017, but spends only say $4000? What is their status then? Which factor has the greatest weight? [I'll bet $ spend] I haven't seen this addressed, and may have missed it in the thread. -- And for those of you who jump at the bait: now with the red/silver-barclay card, a $40K spend gets you $6000EQD --- 1/2 way to EXP, so in a way, there are multiple avenues to getting and maintaining EXP without meeting any of the stated requirements. Now that's airline logic.
Was looking to get one of those cards. Does anyone know if Barclay's is making these products available?

thanks
Old Nov 28, 2016, 4:48 pm

More 4th grade airline logic: 'other means to achieve status'

Was reading: is Platinum worth it, and found w/in the post this statement:

...I am in the middle of a corporate status challenge for Platinum. I will have 8,500 EQM of the 12,500 required EQM by the end of the week. I am thinking about buying a $350 mileage run fare (EWR to PHX) to get the remaining 4,000 EQM to qualify. Upon hitting 12,500 EQM, I will get 25,000 bonus redeemable miles and Platinum status through January 2018....

SO, for the bulk of us who earned STATUS with BIS miles over MANY years, the idea that this person gets Plat status, for UNDER $1000?? (maybe) and 25,000 bonus miles granted to them in addition, is just IMO, corporates statement of total indifference to its existing AA loyalty base.

I know I am a fool, but when the head village idiot at AA corporate laughs at you, and not with you...its time to chose another village.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 5:37 pm

Location: Stuck Between the Moon and CLD or SAN, Your local Taco Bell
Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Them's the breaks. The criteria are clearly published.

The fact that it's relatively stupid to over-reward a "loyal" low-yielder vs. a less frequent high-yielder means nothing. If AA's setting a minimum spend threshold for EXP, who really cares how many miles it takes to get there?

Perhaps a *HIGHER* minimum spend with no additional requirements would make sense. Sure, you could achieve it with a couple of RT J/F fares, but if that's all someone flies the impact on other EXP would be minimal anyway.

Back to the original question: The qualification doesn't necessarily make sense. It doesn't have to. Just like it's often less expensive to fly AAA-BBB-CCC than it is to just go BBB-CCC. There should be no shock that AA sticks to published rules.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by McFlyPHL
There should be no shock that AA sticks to published rules.
that is just the issue! AA DOESN"T stick to the published rules; it has many methods to circumvent what ever "rule" they have.

Don't want to spend $12,000 + 100K miles for EXP??? then get a CC that gives you $6000EQD for dollars not spent on AA airfares, or take a corporate challenge, or buy purple pony cotton candy on Wednesdays.... Its all the same foo-pah.

Corporate heads don't have a clue as to what's real out there. Their metrics tell them what should be, and thus it is.

Last edited by Microwave; Nov 29, 2016 at 1:03 am Reason: Corrected invalid quote syntax

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.