Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

EQ Dollar / EQD offset via Barclaycard Aviator Cards thru 2018 (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 8, 2016, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: BobbySteel
Elite Qualifying Dollar Offset for
American Airlines AAdvantage Barclaycard Aviator cardholders through 2018.

IMPORTANT NOTE Aviator Red won’t earn any EQD in 2019, Aviator Silver will only earn $3,000 EQD for a $50,000 spend as of 2019, according to Gary Leff, One Mile at a Time. If you hit the $50,000 spend in Dec it will be credited in January but credited towards the prior year, so it can push you over the line after Dec has ended.

See this FT thread for details.

https://onemileatatime.com/american-...fying-dollars/[/QUOTE]

That article says, in part

For 2019 the benefit is being eliminated entirely except for Aviator Silver cardholders who will 3000 elite qualifying dollars after $50,000 spend (instead of earning 6000).

Anyone who signed up for an Aviator Red Mastercard, or upgraded to an Aviator Silver, between January 1 and October 31, 2018 will keep the pre-existing elite qualifying dollars benefit for 2019, and their benefit will change January 1, 2020.

However anyone that paid the annual fee on a card in, say, June in expectation of using the benefit in 2019 is out of luck with the benefit, and out of luck with the fee.
See separate thread, https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1936835-barclaycard-aviator-red-no-eqd-silver-3k-eqd-only-2019-a.html for further discussion of this topic.

You can apply for American Airlines® AAdvantage® Aviator™ Red MasterCard® at the airport, in flight or at https://home.barclaycardus.com.

If you've been a holder of a Red card prior to 2017, or as a new applicant have had the Red card 90 days, you may apply for the American Airlines® AAdvantage® Aviator™ Silver World Elite MasterCard®.

From aa.com (link) "Reach elite status faster

Only Silver cards now qualify to earn EQD.
  • AAdvantage Aviator Silver MasterCard accounts can earn up to $3,000 EQDs by spending $50,000 on qualifying net purchases each calendar year.

From Barclaycard Aviator Silver (link to T&C PDF)

Link to American Airlines® AAdvantage® Aviator™ Red MasterCard® Reward Rules T&C (Feb 2017)

Link to American Airlines® AAdvantage® Aviator™ Silver World Elite MasterCard® Reward Rules T&C (Feb 2017)

How can I sign up for the AAdvantage® AviatorTM MasterCard® offered by Barclaycard US?

Starting in January 2017 customers will be able to apply for the AAdvantage® AviatorTM Red MasterCard® on their next trip either in the airport or during their flight by asking their flight attendant for an application.

How can I apply for the AAdvantage® AviatorTM Silver MasterCard®?

Current AAdvantage® AviatorTM MasterCard® cardmembers can contact Barclaycard US customer service to inquire about upgrading to the AAdvantage® AviatorTM Silver MasterCard®.
NOTE:Citi AAdvantage cardholders are not beneficiaries of EQD spend waivers at this time; this does not preclude future announcement that they will or won't.
Print Wikipost

EQ Dollar / EQD offset via Barclaycard Aviator Cards thru 2018 (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2016, 11:31 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1k; Marriott Titanium
Yes it's very disappointing. I can't believe AA is favoring Barclay after pushing the "we have a great offer for you today" hawking speech on every single flight. I have a Citi AAdvantage card on which I spend quite a bit. This is really the last straw and I'm switching either to Delta or becoming a free agent.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by Phasers
Well this is a <gesture of disregard> to those of us who have had the Citi Executive card since it came out in 2011 and have been paying $450 a year for it.

This might be the nail in the coffin with my relationship with AA. Now if I want to be equal with other EXPs, I need to spent $50k a year on a card I don't even have yet so i can be get that extra $6k EQD for upgrade priority. Way to complicate and mess up the program even more Dougie.
+1. In the US, that is the only way to do it with CCs. There are some other ways to gain loads of EQDs, but this is a disingenuous way to alienate legacy AA/Citi customers.

At the end of the day, this is a much tougher program to go after and qualify out of the US3. Delta has been good in service, and UA has got their act together. AA has been racing to the bottom.

Last edited by Microwave; Nov 8, 2016 at 1:14 am
Old Nov 7, 2016, 11:34 am

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
I second the question above:

Are EQMs still generated by sufficient spending on the Barclays cards (and Citi cards) in 2017?

If not, I see no need to keep the Barclays ones; I already spend enough on flights to get enough EQDs.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 11:35 am

https://www.propublica.org/article/a...ying-antitrust

“Consolidation has also helped with capacity discipline,” Scott Kirby, who became president of the new American Airlines, said at a conference in the run-up to the merger. “And it has allowed the industry to do things like ancillary revenues; again, hard to overstate the importance of that.”

Just bend over.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 11:36 am

Programs: AA Explat, UA former 1K + PremExec, DL
I suspect AA is just in a cash grab mode. Probably had bidding between Barclays and Citi and Barclays offered more money.

But I do feel screwed. This will be my last year with the Citi AA Executive card. Notice how the timing of this announcement was right after the annual fee posted and has been paid for the fifth year in a row for those of us who have had the Exec card since the beginning.
You should be able to cancel within 31 days of the posting of the annual fee. At least that's what I was told- I just missed it.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 11:38 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Posted my thoughts on VTFW blog...

Nothing really game changing here IMHO. I think AA fell flat on this one. Why would I spend $25,000 on a card to get $3K EQD and forego better earning opportunities through other credit cards?

This actually puts AA in last when it comes to credit card benefits as they are unable to offer a product line with comprehensive benefits as now we have one card for lounge benefits, a different card for EQD boost, a different card for different benefits. Fragmented.

99% of us do not really have the luxury of putting north of six figure spend on credit cards and it is not as simple as “Great ok I can shift 10% of my spend on that credit card to achieve $25,000 to yield $3,000 EQD, so marginal impact to my earning strategy” as your post seems to imply about your personal situation. I guess the point I was trying to make, if you were only able to put $50,000 on credit card spend annually, would you dedicate $25,000 to this Barclay card to earn $3,000 EQDs?

You might not agree, but in my opinion AA has the worst credit card product line(s) compared to what United/Chase and Delta/AMEX offers and I think this is only going to hurt AA in the long run as having a solid credit card partner strongly complements the overall product the airline offers to its customers and with very little incentive to actually put any spend on the card (other than certain minimums depending on individual scenarios) this will impact AA’s revenue stream from issuers buying miles (i.e. The faster Citi/Barclay runs out of their AAdvantage stash the sooner they will buy more).
Old Nov 7, 2016, 11:47 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, SWA A-list +
Originally Posted by fanger
You should be able to cancel within 31 days of the posting of the annual fee. At least that's what I was told- I just missed it.
Will they not prorate the fee?
Old Nov 7, 2016, 11:49 am

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by golfingboy
99% of us do not really have the luxury of putting north of six figure spend on credit cards and it is not as simple as “Great ok I can shift 10% of my spend on that credit card to achieve $25,000 to yield $3,000 EQD, so marginal impact to my earning strategy” as your post seems to imply about your personal situation. I guess the point I was trying to make, if you were only able to put $50,000 on credit card spend annually, would you dedicate $25,000 to this Barclay card to earn $3,000 EQDs?
The key word here is segmentation. I suspect this is what AA, UA, DL (leading the way), and countless other airlines are really working toward at this point. The more you're willing (and able) to give, the more you'll get.

This is good news for elites with ample financial flexibility. It's bad news for everyone else.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 11:49 am

Programs: AA Explat, UA former 1K + PremExec, DL
Originally Posted by envgeo
Will they not prorate the fee?
They did not allow me a prorated cancel past 31 days. YMMV.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 11:51 am

I was hoping AA would follow suit and give a break for residents outside of the USA.
I really don't want to go back to EWR!
Old Nov 7, 2016, 11:58 am

AA program updates - here is email we received

My husband is Exec Plat with American.
Here is what he received today for the changes in 2017. Status will be based on combo of dollars spent AND EQ Miles or EQ Segments. And there is a new plat level - platinum pro.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...antageRedesign
Old Nov 7, 2016, 12:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP; UA Silver; Marriott Platinum Premier; Hilton Gold; Hyatt Platinum; National Executive Elite
Does anyone know if we will be able to see our 2016 EQD? I will end the year around 150 EQS, but am concerned about EQD as 12k seems like a lot (perhaps it isnt, I really have no clue what I spend with AA each year). I am forced to use a corporate liable CC for all work related travel, so I can't easily check these numbers nor will the AA Barclays be an option for me.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 12:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Well this is a <gesture of disregard> to those of us who have had the Citi Executive card since it came out in 2011 and have been paying $450 a year for it.

This might be the nail in the coffin with my relationship with AA. Now if I want to be equal with other EXPs, I need to spent $50k a year on a card I don't even have yet so i can be get that extra $6k EQD for upgrade priority. Way to complicate and mess up the program even more Dougie.
Some people were wanting an EQD reduction for credit card spending
AA is offering an EQD reduction for spend on certain cards
The amount is $3k for $25k spend and another $3k at $50k spend

How is this complicated? As far as messing it up , it seems to provide that which a number of people wished for

That it is a card that some do not have currently have, hardly complicates or messes it up.

If wanted, people can apply for and use that card - seems simple enough

Last edited by Microwave; Nov 8, 2016 at 1:15 am Reason: Edited quote of edited post
Old Nov 7, 2016, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
It would seem to me that those who would spend $25K on a credit card, or even $50K, are already purchasing high-$ tickets and would have no problem reaching even the $12K ExecPlat EQD so other than mimicking this feature of other programs, not sure why bother.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If wanted, people can apply for and use that card - seems simple enough
If they live in the US, otherwise there's no card to sign up for.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.