Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

EQ Dollar / EQD offset via Barclaycard Aviator Cards thru 2018 (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 8, 2016, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: BobbySteel
Elite Qualifying Dollar Offset for
American Airlines AAdvantage Barclaycard Aviator cardholders through 2018.

IMPORTANT NOTE Aviator Red won’t earn any EQD in 2019, Aviator Silver will only earn $3,000 EQD for a $50,000 spend as of 2019, according to Gary Leff, One Mile at a Time. If you hit the $50,000 spend in Dec it will be credited in January but credited towards the prior year, so it can push you over the line after Dec has ended.

See this FT thread for details.

https://onemileatatime.com/american-...fying-dollars/[/QUOTE]

That article says, in part

For 2019 the benefit is being eliminated entirely except for Aviator Silver cardholders who will 3000 elite qualifying dollars after $50,000 spend (instead of earning 6000).

Anyone who signed up for an Aviator Red Mastercard, or upgraded to an Aviator Silver, between January 1 and October 31, 2018 will keep the pre-existing elite qualifying dollars benefit for 2019, and their benefit will change January 1, 2020.

However anyone that paid the annual fee on a card in, say, June in expectation of using the benefit in 2019 is out of luck with the benefit, and out of luck with the fee.
See separate thread, https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1936835-barclaycard-aviator-red-no-eqd-silver-3k-eqd-only-2019-a.html for further discussion of this topic.

You can apply for American Airlines® AAdvantage® Aviator™ Red MasterCard® at the airport, in flight or at https://home.barclaycardus.com.

If you've been a holder of a Red card prior to 2017, or as a new applicant have had the Red card 90 days, you may apply for the American Airlines® AAdvantage® Aviator™ Silver World Elite MasterCard®.

From aa.com (link) "Reach elite status faster

Only Silver cards now qualify to earn EQD.
  • AAdvantage Aviator Silver MasterCard accounts can earn up to $3,000 EQDs by spending $50,000 on qualifying net purchases each calendar year.

From Barclaycard Aviator Silver (link to T&C PDF)

Link to American Airlines® AAdvantage® Aviator™ Red MasterCard® Reward Rules T&C (Feb 2017)

Link to American Airlines® AAdvantage® Aviator™ Silver World Elite MasterCard® Reward Rules T&C (Feb 2017)

How can I sign up for the AAdvantage® AviatorTM MasterCard® offered by Barclaycard US?

Starting in January 2017 customers will be able to apply for the AAdvantage® AviatorTM Red MasterCard® on their next trip either in the airport or during their flight by asking their flight attendant for an application.

How can I apply for the AAdvantage® AviatorTM Silver MasterCard®?

Current AAdvantage® AviatorTM MasterCard® cardmembers can contact Barclaycard US customer service to inquire about upgrading to the AAdvantage® AviatorTM Silver MasterCard®.
NOTE:Citi AAdvantage cardholders are not beneficiaries of EQD spend waivers at this time; this does not preclude future announcement that they will or won't.
Print Wikipost

EQ Dollar / EQD offset via Barclaycard Aviator Cards thru 2018 (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2016, 5:22 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JRomulus
I just got that card for the 100K bonus and $300 Travel rebate this month, but.... back on topic...

I currently have BOTH the Citi Exec and the Barclay Silver. This year I successfully maxed out the EQMs on both cards.
And that Barclay card keeps bumping up my CL nicely every single year, it's over $33K now. (They do the best at auto-increasing CLs out of any company I have cards with).

I take it that the Citi Exec card will STILL HAVE THE EQM bonus? Just not the EDQ ? And the Barclay will NO LONGER have the EQMs, just the EQDs right? (This stuff is starting to get insane...)

Regardless, I could just spend the extra $10k on the Barclay to get the max EQD, along with the 3X plane and 2X car miles, and also the $40K on the Citi Exec to get the 10K EQMs.

Or I could just cancel the Citi Exec and buy my AA club membership with miles, but I'd be sacrificing the 10K EQMs...

Sigh. I have until March to decide before my next Exec fee hits to decide.

I do like/need an Admiral's club membership.
I am in the same boat, except that my Citi annual fee comes around about 30 days from now. Several FT folks have speculated that Citi will eventually offer an EQD waiver. If that had a "decent" chance of happening, I would keep the Citi card. But who knows for sure??
Old Nov 13, 2016, 10:11 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by JRomulus
And the Barclay will NO LONGER have the EQMs, just the EQDs right? (This stuff is starting to get insane...)
There has been absolutely nothing to indicate this is the case that I have seen.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 12:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by apeortdz
I am in the same boat, except that my Citi annual fee comes around about 30 days from now. Several FT folks have speculated that Citi will eventually offer an EQD waiver. If that had a "decent" chance of happening, I would keep the Citi card. But who knows for sure??
If you cancel later, my understanding is the annual fee refund is prorated. Can anyone confirm? [edited, thanks]

Last edited by oysterhead43; Nov 13, 2016 at 12:43 pm
Old Nov 13, 2016, 12:19 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by oysterhead43
If you cancel later, the annual fee refund is prorated.
Are you sure about that? I had a hard time cancelling my wife's card at 61 days because they said 60 days was the limit to get the fee back (or maybe it was at 31 days with a 30 day policy).

This was in 2015.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 8:12 pm

Programs: AA 1MM, Hyatt GP Platinum, *wood Gold
Originally Posted by Phasers
That basically boils down to the following question:

Would you rather have 3x AA miles or 3x Ultimate Rewards points per dollar spent on AA flights?
Ultimate Rewards points are more flexible and versatile, and you can earn EQDs and EQMs on flights paid with UR points through the UR travel portal (calculated at 1.5 cents per point for Reserve cardholders). You don't earn miles on AA reward flights.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 8:19 pm

Programs: AA
I can't find a way to even apply for a Barclays Aviator card. Red or silver. Does anyone have a good link or web address to apply for a card?
Old Nov 13, 2016, 8:30 pm

Programs: AA EP
Originally Posted by Dlubeski
I can't find a way to even apply for a Barclays Aviator card. Red or silver. Does anyone have a good link or web address to apply for a card?
U can't apply for a card until 1/1/17 and applications will be available onboard and at airports -- ex Admirals clubs
Old Nov 13, 2016, 9:39 pm

Programs: AA, Marriott
That basically boils down to the following question:

Would you rather have 3x AA miles or 3x Ultimate Rewards points per dollar spent on AA flights?
Not if you're mostly worried about EQDs, right? Say you have $25k in annual card spend, for the sake of argument all in one of CSR's highest-earning 3x categories like dining:
  • With CSR you'd earn 25k * 3 = 75k Chase Ultimate Rewards points. You could redeem those at 1.5 cents/point = $1125 on mileage-earning flights, giving you 1125 EQD. (You'd have to actually fly those too, though you'd also earn miles on those and presumably get to go somewhere you want to go.)
  • With the Barclays waiver you'd get 3k in EQD.

Purely from a EQD perspective, the Barclays waiver seems better, unless I'm missing something.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 11:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM, HH Diamond
Would EQDs earned via the Barclay card count toward upgrade priority, or only toward status attainment ? I have read that EQMs earned via the Citi card count only toward status, not to things like earning more SWUs at 150k EQM, wondering if card-earned EQDs have a similar limitation.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 8:00 am

Programs: AA EP
Originally Posted by hbtr
Would EQDs earned via the Barclay card count toward upgrade priority, or only toward status attainment ? I have read that EQMs earned via the Citi card count only toward status, not to things like earning more SWUs at 150k EQM, wondering if card-earned EQDs have a similar limitation.
The EQDs earned on Barclays will count towards your Rollins 12 month EQD total
Old Nov 14, 2016, 8:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA LT Gold, SPG Plat 75
Originally Posted by hbtr
The 10k EQM from the Citi Exec card counted towards my two additional SWUs at 150k EQM.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 8:15 am

Programs: WN A-List Pref, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Wayne Kao
Not if you're mostly worried about EQDs, right? Say you have $25k in annual card spend, for the sake of argument all in one of CSR's highest-earning 3x categories like dining:
  • With CSR you'd earn 25k * 3 = 75k Chase Ultimate Rewards points. You could redeem those at 1.5 cents/point = $1125 on mileage-earning flights, giving you 1125 EQD. (You'd have to actually fly those too, though you'd also earn miles on those and presumably get to go somewhere you want to go.)
  • With the Barclays waiver you'd get 3k in EQD.

Purely from a EQD perspective, the Barclays waiver seems better, unless I'm missing something.
That is better from an EQD perspective, but not necessarily better from a overall value perspective, especially with the RDM devaluation last year and the regressive Elite Status changes started in August and now starting in January 2017. I don't speak for everyone here, but I will relinquish my PLT status to play the field after 2017.

You need to have a hard look at your travel plans and see whether the extra $3k in EQD makes sense. If it doesn't, then those 75K in UR points are really more valuable than $1125 if you use them to their maximum (though it's nice to have a 1.5x baseline to fall back to).
Old Nov 15, 2016, 5:25 am

Programs: AA EXP (2MM), Marriott Tit
Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier
U can't apply for a card until 1/1/17 and applications will be available onboard and at airports -- ex Admirals clubs
Yes, but only the Red card, right? AFAICT there won't be any way for a non-grandfathered customer to get a Silver card.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 7:10 am

Programs: Aadvantage
No to add to the discussion, but for what I read on the internet, the travel insurance benefits of the Citi card are much better than the ones offered by the Barclays Card. Although the 3 miles per dollar sound good, as now the actual miles you receive for traveling are really just a few of what we used to receive when we were receiving the actual miles flown. At least for us flying economy!
Old Nov 27, 2016, 2:18 pm

Programs: AA - EXP 2MM+, Marriott PLT, UA, National Exec
The 10k EQM from the Citi Exec card counted towards my two additional SWUs at 150k EQM.
+1. Mine did too.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.