Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA LAX-HKG 777-300ER / 77W discussion, issues, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA LAX-HKG 777-300ER / 77W discussion, issues, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2019, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
My two trips this month cleared at or about the T-48 mark. My EF C alerts didn't go off for either flight too. But by then or a few hours later, I notice that there are 2-4 C fares showing up and then (sometimes) I get the alert for EF. Maybe AA is doing more behind the scenes to take are of the upgrade queue to some degree.
I have been doing some random checking to see how the AA193 J seatmaps move...My observations so far is that the big upgrade clearing happens sometime between T-50 and T-17. There is very little left for the gate, 1-2 seats. These observations seem consistent with your post and experience.

Last edited by nk15; Mar 31, 2019 at 4:00 pm
Old Mar 30, 2019, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does AA offer any last minute paid PE upgrades on this route? Maybe at check in? If yes, at what cost? Any experiences?
Old Mar 30, 2019, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In theory, if you are desperate, there may also be the double upgrade: You use 2 SWUs at the gate, you upgrade someone randomly from J to F, and yourself from Y to J, if there is a GA wiling and allowed to do this, and assuming there is A availability. In the odd chance the upgradee to F objects, they stay in their J seat and you take their F seat... This is a theoretical possibility though, probably not feasible...
Old Mar 30, 2019, 7:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by nk15
In theory, if you are desperate, there may also be the double upgrade: You use 2 SWUs at the gate, you upgrade someone randomly from J to F, and yourself from Y to J, if there is a GA wiling and allowed to do this, and assuming there is A availability. In the odd chance the upgradee to F objects, they stay in their J seat and you take their F seat... This is a theoretical possibility though, probably not feasible...
Would really only work if you're first on the upgrade list.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 8:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Has anyone on FT ever reported being the beneficiary of such an upgrade from J to F because someone else wants to clear an upgrade from Y to J and is willing to gift a SWU to some random stranger in order to do so?
Old Mar 30, 2019, 8:49 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by DMPHL
And you have no problem using 2 SWU for a 1 class upgrade. 🙄
Old Mar 30, 2019, 9:20 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by IWontRegretThis
Yep, and they still havent gotten back to me. Sometimes I do not have a choice who I fly when it is a client booked ticket, hence why I have top status on all 3 airlines + Alaska.
To be fair, CX's CS is nowhere as good as its inflight services - though I have not complained (nothing really worth complaining) in a few years. CS emails are all handled by its *overseas* center; and CX is known to have very tight policy in giving out cash/miles comp as courtesy, except when CX is clearly liable for these failures (MX cancellations/delay/broken IFE seats etc), which should include diversion. I do recall CX had an emergency landing to middle of nowhere in Alaska a few years ago and was proactively offering comp though.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 9:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Originally Posted by DMPHL
Not in Philly by some of the post people are saying that happen at the gate there... (partially kidding...) but still.... LOL
Old Mar 30, 2019, 10:08 pm

Not in Philly by some of the post people are saying that happen at the gate there... (partially kidding...) but still.... LOL
Well would definitely never work in Philly because there is no AA Int'l F class into our out of PHL.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA & AA 1 million miler
Does AA offer any last minute paid PE upgrades on this route? Maybe at check in? If yes, at what cost? Any experiences?
I got a $0 upgrade (Y -> PEY) offer during OLCI as an EXP two weeks ago.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MrJBoy
I got a $0 upgrade (Y -> PEY) offer during OLCI as an EXP two weeks ago.
Now that's an offer you can't refuse, as the saying goes, lol...Was it indeed an offer you had to accept rather than an automatic upgrade, like an op-up?
Old Mar 31, 2019, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have been checking the routes of 192/193 on flightaware, and it shows that 193 actually flies over Alaska and stays as close to land as possible, while 192 flies over the Pacific, more like in a straight line fashion, which explains the 2-3 hour difference in flights. Does anybody know why? We know that 192 is as prone to diversions as 193, lol, so that can't be the reason...if anything, I would expect the other way around, as 192 is further from the hub and thus more susceptible to diversions...

Why the scenic route? I am guessing winds?

Last edited by nk15; Mar 31, 2019 at 3:42 pm
Old Mar 31, 2019, 3:57 pm

I have been checking the routes of 192/193 on flightaware, and it shows that 193 actually flies over Alaska and stays as close to land as possible, while 192 flies over the Pacific, more like in a straight line fashion, which explains the 2-3 hour difference in flights. Does anybody know why? We know that 192 is as prone to diversions as 193, lol, so that can't be the reason...if anything, I would expect the other way around, as 192 is further from the hub and thus more susceptible to diversions...

Why the scenic route? I am guessing winds?
Yep, it's winds. 192 is catching some nice tailwinds, so faster to fly over the Pacific. You'll occasionally even see one of CX's JFK flights take a much more southerly route for the same reasons.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 9:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Interesting that AA is willing to sell me a PE seat to HKG from HKG for a flight in four days but I'd be seating in Y for the entire flight if I purchase it outright at the moment. No PR seats available on the LAX-HKG-LAX legs. And yes, it a full Y-fare for the SFO-LAX legs that's 2x the MC fare if I opt to do coach for the entire trip an apply SWU.

Good Grief... CX is looking much better of an option indeed when departing from SFO... Love the CX FL here in SFO anyway...
Old Apr 19, 2019, 9:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold
Interesting that AA is willing to sell me a PE seat to HKG from HKG for a flight in four days but I'd be seating in Y for the entire flight if I purchase it outright at the moment. No PR seats available on the LAX-HKG-LAX legs. And yes, it a full Y-fare for the SFO-LAX legs that's 2x the MC fare if I opt to do coach for the entire trip an apply SWU.
No PE seats showing as available just means they’ll roll cabins forward on the day (if needed) to make space in each cabin.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.