Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA LAX-HKG 777-300ER / 77W discussion, issues, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA LAX-HKG 777-300ER / 77W discussion, issues, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2018, 2:40 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Deleted by op

Last edited by beachfan; Sep 19, 2018 at 2:58 am
Old Sep 19, 2018, 2:54 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by JDiver
checkerboard has provided a good link to the thread where this issue is best discussed.

A declared travel companion has always “borrowed” the sponsor’s status when that is allowed regardless of whether the two passengers are on the same PNR, in my experience I’ve actually declared another passenger as a travel companion for upgrade purposes at the gate, whereupon that person instantaneously gained my EP status and got the #1 position and the upgrade. (Last time the pax was a WW II vet I chatted up who had never flown anything but coach.)

If a ONR is split, you have to make this travel companion “linkage” established again. Not every agent is up on this, or how you can have a TCP note added in the OSI field in the PNR. This can help a party remain together in OSO / IROPS situations. link to thread.
I am about 0 for 5 on getting the linkage reestablished at the airport, though I haven’t tried for about two years. Is it easier now? Most things are harder.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 12:52 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
any recent experience in applying SWU for Y to J? C space dries up..
Old Oct 10, 2018, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM Hilton Diamond Bon Voy Lifetime Platinum Elite
My wife and I used 4 SWU's from P to J last week ... got the o/b the day before departure and the return about a week out... .
Old Oct 11, 2018, 9:42 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by pbd456
any recent experience in applying SWU for Y to J? C space dries up..
Flying first week of December. Outbound cleared after I received notification from Expert Flyer and called AA to force the SWU upgrade to J. Am on the waitlist for using a SWU on the return flight HKG-LAX.

Premium Economy fares are reasonable, so buying that seat is a good Plan B in case SWU upgrade won't clear.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 5:19 pm

Programs: Delta DM, AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, HHoners Gold, SPG Gold, National ExecElite, Hertz PC, Avis First
Anyone have any recent data points on clearing SWUs from J to F? I've noticed that F is hardly occupied on my flight (two seats occupied with F=5 on EF) but A is 0. Should I expect this to clear ahead of time, and if not, what are chances at the gate? Never had to waitlist for F before. Just curious.

FYI -- flying out on the special 12:40AM AA--398 one off departure they have due to DST ending. Oddly -- my last trip to HKG was on this same flight, on the same day. It was right during the LAX catering issue and all we had to eat in first class was the same chicken dish you'd get flying LAX-DFW
Old Oct 17, 2018, 6:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 4.6 MM, LT Pt, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by theYipster
Anyone have any recent data points on clearing SWUs from J to F? I've noticed that F is hardly occupied on my flight (two seats occupied with F=5 on EF) but A is 0. Should I expect this to clear ahead of time, and if not, what are chances at the gate? Never had to waitlist for F before. Just curious.
Recently purchased (Oct 6) a roundtrip business class (booking code A) ticket to HKG for a trip in mid January. When I called the EXP desk, they were able to apply SWU's for both 193 and 192 at the time of booking. Had to settle for 2A on the outbound but got 1A on the return. I was on the inaugural flight two years ago so it will be interesting to see how the service in first may have changed on this route.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 10:12 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
F5 A4 J7 R7 D1 I0 W0 P0 Y0 B0 H0 K0
M0 L0 G0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0 E0

This is the load of my flight in Dec.

Does it look like the Y cabin is oversold?
If so, do they open up the upgrade space?
the Main Cabin extra section is rather empty at the moment...
Old Nov 29, 2018, 5:13 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, HHonors Diamond
I just flew on this route a couple of days ago and while there were 2 J seats available, there were 3 people ahead of me on the Upgrade list (and I’m ExPlat). I did clear the upgrade, but it was at the time of boarding and only because of the total cluster$@*k at LAX on the Sunday after Thanksgiving - a bunch of people just didn’t end up checking in. Net net, I wouldn’t hold my breath for an upgrade to J from Y.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 8:28 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
There were over 60 people on the upgrade list and only 6 cleared on my Tuesday, 11/27/2018 flight.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 10:06 am

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by AtomicLush
There were over 60 people on the upgrade list and only 6 cleared on my Tuesday, 11/27/2018 flight.
What the masses really want to know is if you were one of the fortunate few to clear (in which case ^) or if you were one of the other 54 who sighed and settled into their premium eco/eco seats.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 10:30 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Originally Posted by enpremiere
What the masses really want to know is if you were one of the fortunate few to clear (in which case ^) or if you were one of the other 54 who sighed and settled into their premium eco/eco seats.
We were in PE and did not put in for upgrades because we didn’t want to deal with trying to fix the EQD/EQM issues from P to C fares, so we were not even on the list of 60+ people.

off topic - but I had the (un)fortunate experience of sitting in the middle with a woman and lap “baby” in the other middle who was probably just barely shy of 2 years old and whose dad was in Econ. There was a empty seat next to the dad in Econ, so I assume the mom complained to get the bigger PE seat due to the size of the lap child, but then was upset about being split up when the dad wasn’t also upgraded. They had asked my DH to switch to the middle PE seat so the mom could get aisle, but my DH has a medical issue that requires the aisle. It was an unpleasant experience to say the least.
chitink and enpremiere like this.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 11:09 am

Programs: AA EXP
We were in PE and did not put in for upgrades because we didn’t want to deal with trying to fix the EQD/EQM issues from P to C fares, so we were not even on the list of 60+ people.
In the couples of times I've purchased W and upgraded to C, I never had an issue with the EQD/EQM (posted based on fare class purchased)
Old Dec 2, 2018, 10:12 am

Programs: HH Diamond - Marriott Titanium- AA EP
Lack of C space availability for SWU @ time of booking???

Hi FT community,

I'm searching expert flyer for C space availability for AA193/192 flight and found that there is zero C space during the month of March, April, May. Last year was able to see a few C space availability so that I can confirm SWU during time of booking. Is this the "new norm" for SWU on this flight to be waitlisted and hope for the best?

On a side note, I'm an ExPlt and for those ExPlt that have cleared during waitlisted (at gate) what was the range of your EQDs? I asked because reading through the threads it appears the upgrade list can be north of 50 people so like to get an idea of what EQDs are typically needed for SWU to clear if at gate.

Thanks!
Old Dec 2, 2018, 10:30 am

Programs: AA EXP

<snip>
It's a 5 minute phone call to AA customer service, which consists of 1 minute of your time explaining the issue, and 4 minutes while the agent finds the original ticket and makes the change. If you have your original ticket number, you cut that down to a 2-3 minute call. (Just did this for my wife, for this very flight). For 25 hours in lie-flat vs PE, that's a no-brainer.
TravelLawyer and chitink like this.

Last edited by jeffeverde; Dec 2, 2018 at 11:06 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.