Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

RTW / Round the World ticket - earning AAdvantage Miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RTW / Round the World ticket - earning AAdvantage Miles

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2017, 4:30 pm

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by skunker
It has nothing to do with old habits (at least for me), but everything to do with AA not being transparent in how they are applying their new rules. They literally cannot tell you how an AA segment will post before it happens and no one knows how it was calculated after it posts.

That's just bad business practice.
It's fairly easy to figure out the dollar value of each segment of a xONEn on your own if you know how basic math and how to use Excel.
  1. List mileage for each segment
  2. Total it giving total mileage flown
  3. Divide base fare of ticket by total miles flow which will give you $/mile
  4. Multiply mileage of each segment by $/mile to get dollar value of each segment
Attached Images  
Old Aug 30, 2017, 6:23 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Plat SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by aaupgrade
It's fairly easy to figure out the dollar value of each segment of a xONEn on your own if you know how basic math and how to use Excel.
  4. Multiply mileage of each segment by $/mile to get dollar value of each segment
Very interesting approach. Just to clarify, is this based on actual results for a flown rtw? or is it based on an assumption that EQD is assigned to segments pro rata to total miles on the ticket? In short, what is your evidence that AA actually does these calculations in this manner?
Although your approach seems useful for an initial general estimate, in practice it seems that:
1. AA would use the actual revenue it receives for flights on its own metal, which it surely knows
2. Use the partner tables for flights using partner flight codes
3. Recalculation or under/over credit might result if changes in the later segments of the ticket increase/reduce the total miles flown That is to say, total mileage is known only after all segments are flown.
Appreciate your efforts to add understanding in this area.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by rens
Very interesting approach. Just to clarify, is this based on actual results for a flown rtw? or is it based on an assumption that EQD is assigned to segments pro rata to total miles on the ticket? In short, what is your evidence that AA actually does these calculations in this manner?
Although your approach seems useful for an initial general estimate, in practice it seems that:
1. AA would use the actual revenue it receives for flights on its own metal, which it surely knows
2. Use the partner tables for flights using partner flight codes
3. Recalculation or under/over credit might result if changes in the later segments of the ticket increase/reduce the total miles flown That is to say, total mileage is known only after all segments are flown.
Appreciate your efforts to add understanding in this area.
It's an educated guess. The actual revenue each airline gets for their respective flights is determined somehow, and this is really the most obvious and only way possible IMO. Of course it is probably a bit more complicated, as segments change, so it might well be based on the declining balance which would change the results a bit, but not much unless massive changes were made.

It was close enough for my purposes and if someone else can benefit, then great. It took me a half hour at the most to throw this together almost a year ago which resulted in me investigating other FF program options. It seemed a lot more pro-active at the time, and if the comments in this thread are any indication, it helped me make a pretty good decision of going with BA as my primary status earning carrier. I provided it here in an effort to be helpful.

For those who may not like it, or trust it, either check it out yourself or ignore it and don't use it. It's easy enough to go back and apply the above calculations retroactively to those postings of low EQDs and EQMs for xONEn flights. I never did have low EQDs or EQMs because my analysis said it was going to suck, and as I eluded to above, this thread is further evidence that supports that the decision I made back then was sound.

BTW, it took much longer to analyze BA vs AA RDMs, which I still do on an ongoing basis to determine the best airline to credit and still get my BA Gold (OWE) status. Generally you earn almost 1.5 times the Avios vs AA miles on AA and BA flights, sometimes more, but most BA awards are a bit higher so BA comes out a bit ahead, BA short haul awards being the exception where BA redemptions are often a better deal than AA redemptions. Of course one still has BA fuel fines, but considering I usually use it for long haul F the added $100 or so is not that big a deal in the grand scheme of things. I use miles to reposition for the next xONEn as I am sure many others do too.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 7:39 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
For crediting, I believe Alaska is the best.

We have a party of 6 people. I am on my 5th DONEx (1 ex JPN, 1 ex JNB
2 ex MPM and 1 ex CAI)
My sister is in her 4th
My 3 years old niece is in her fourth (one as infant)
and 3 others are in the third. (ex JNB, ex MPM and ex CAI).

I am the only person who does active mileage running. So it is not a burden for me to get AA exp plat since a DONE is not likely enough for AA exe plat.

3 of them (including my niece) are BA gold with 2500 Tier points (each has an gold upgrade for 2 voucher, hopefully, enough to upgrade all 6 of us).
They credit everything to BA since they need it to maintain the BA gold. They dont actively need to fly more because they can barely make BA gold for now. (their second year).

the other 2 are now both JAL Global Club member from their first done. and the subsequently flights are credited to programs that give the best result.

As I am also Alaska MVP75k gold, (I earned almost 200K AS miles from my ex-MPM DONE5) I gift MVP status to my sister for 50% bonus. She should be able to make MVP gold this year on her own.

For a couple traveling together, I would recommend them to credit to different programs since one elite member can bring one guest to lounge, there is no need to have all emeralds traveling together.

for my done5 ex mpm, i believed i paid a bit over 3800 USD (including one rerouting fee). I net over 150k AS miles and 52K AA miles. (70k status miles on AS, and 32k status miles on AA). Since 90k status miles on AS earns a bonus of 50K miles, so i netted almost 200K AS miles, and 52K AA miles (and one system wide upgrade).

sweet deal.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 9:15 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
It's an educated guess. The actual revenue each airline gets for their respective flights is determined somehow, and this is really the most obvious and only way possible IMO. Of course it is probably a bit more complicated, as segments change, so it might well be based on the declining balance which would change the results a bit, but not much unless massive changes were made.
The irony of this seems to be lost on you.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 12:45 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
As rens had said, very interesting approach!
Sorry I could not QUOTE the image of the chart. From your chart, can you figure out EQM, EQD & AA award miles for the ORD-DOH segment if IT WAS AA7957 (and NOT QR726)? Thanks.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by allset2travel
As rens had said, very interesting approach!
Sorry I could not QUOTE the image of the chart. From your chart, can you figure out EQM, EQD & AA award miles for the ORD-DOH segment if IT WAS AA7957 (and NOT QR726)? Thanks.
EQM is 7133x2 = 14266 for AA code.

EQD and award miles. it depends on the method.

for fare based. how much did you pay for the ticket (base fare + fuel surcharge)? and what percentage of the fare is on this segment by distance.
if you look at the receipt further, you can see if there is YQ for this segment.

Collectively, we can try to figure it out better by crediting the AA and BA segment to BA onbusiness account, which earns based on dollar spent without risking low RDM on AA. but i dont think people care enough.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 10:46 pm

From your chart, can you figure out EQM, EQD & AA award miles for the ORD-DOH segment if IT WAS AA7957 (and NOT QR726)? Thanks.
No, not really, as there are a number of unknowns: 1) AA doesn't fly that route 2) I don't know how AA calculates EQDs, EQMs and RDMs for codeshares and 3) the dollar values are based on the total miles of my RTW trip so any dollar based calculation of EQM, EQD & AA award miles would vary for other RTW itineraries. This was an estimating tool for my purposes. A description of the calculations are provided in my post and the method for calculating EQDs, EQMs and RDMs are provided on AA's web site if you want to figure it out for your itinerary. FWIW, the estimated dollar value of the DOH-ORD segment for my RTW itinerary came to 701 as shown in the Dollar Value column so you could theoretically calculate the EQDs, EQMs and RDMs based on dollars if you so desire.

FWIW, after AA changed their program I did the math once for my usual travel and after 20+ years as AA elite decided BA was a better program for me to attain status; the good part of that is I don't have to do this silly math for my RTW AA flights ever again.

Last edited by aaupgrade; Sep 15, 2017 at 11:35 am Reason: Typo
Old Sep 15, 2017, 9:14 am

there are 2 charts, one is special fare, another is missing fare.

when an aa sector is posted as distance , aa can (and there are reports) change it back to fare after the fare is not missing. so there is a risk on losing tge extra eqd and rdm if one takes the risk on aa codeshares. by booking non aa, thr only downside is 0.5 eqm (2x eqm vs 1.5x eqm) mileage running can takr care of it.

i prefer certainty than getting stressed out over how aa system will work.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by pbd456
EQM is 7133x2 = 14266 for AA code.

EQD and award miles. it depends on the method.

for fare based. how much did you pay for the ticket (base fare + fuel surcharge)? and what percentage of the fare is on this segment by distance.
if you look at the receipt further, you can see if there is YQ for this segment.

Collectively, we can try to figure it out better by crediting the AA and BA segment to BA onbusiness account, which earns based on dollar spent without risking low RDM on AA. but i dont think people care enough.
My bold
If that is confirmed, that's the way I will go (with AA codeshare on QR metal). I need EQM more than I do EQD.

Last edited by allset2travel; Sep 15, 2017 at 6:46 pm Reason: spell ck
Old Sep 15, 2017, 6:51 pm

No, not really, as there are a number of unknowns: 1) AA doesn't fly that route 2) I don't know how AA calculates EQDs, EQMs and RDMs for codeshares and 3) the dollar values are based on the total miles of my RTW trip so any dollar based calculation of EQM, EQD & AA award miles would vary for other RTW itineraries. This was an estimating tool for my purposes. A description of the calculations are provided in my post and the method for calculating EQDs, EQMs and RDMs are provided on AA's web site if you want to figure it out for your itinerary. FWIW, the estimated dollar value of the DOH-ORD segment for my RTW itinerary came to 701 as shown in the Dollar Value column so you could theoretically calculate the EQDs, EQMs and RDMs based on dollars if you so desire.

FWIW, after AA changed their program I did the math once for my usual travel and after 20+ years as AA elite decided BA was a better program for me to attain status; the good part of that is I don't have to do this silly math for my RTW AA flights ever again.
I hear you. I myself am seeking for a new ff program, perhaps Alaska.
AA's lack of transparency on this matter is ridiculous!
Thanks for posting the chart.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 9:28 pm

My bold
If that is confirmed, that's the way I will go (with AA codeshare on QR metal). I need EQM more than I do EQD.
i dont know if there is any actual data point.

but i flew CX codeshare on AA operated flight and it was posted as distance and CX.

I flew JL codeshare on UL and I got elite bonus (no elite bonus on UL, but it was posted incorrectly initially).

I flew LA codeshare on JJ and I got elite bonus (no elite bonus on JJ)

I think in the land of oneworld (unlike star alliance), the marketing carrier is what mattters.

i think there is a 99% chance that it will post as 2x eqm and u should hold aa accountable as the website clear say AA flights earns 2 x eqm.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 9:45 pm

i dont know if there is any actual data point.

but i flew CX codeshare on AA operated flight and it was posted as distance and CX.

I flew JL codeshare on UL and I got elite bonus (no elite bonus on UL, but it was posted incorrectly initially).

I flew LA codeshare on JJ and I got elite bonus (no elite bonus on JJ)

I think in the land of oneworld (unlike star alliance), the marketing carrier is what mattters.

i think there is a 99% chance that it will post as 2x eqm and u should hold aa accountable as the website clear say AA flights earns 2 x eqm.
All of that is true, but it doesn't answer the question for AA coded flights. There are 3 ways to earn on AA coded flights, all earn the same EQM. EQD and RDM varies greatly.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by skunker
All of that is true, but it doesn't answer the question for AA coded flights. There are 3 ways to earn on AA coded flights, all earn the same EQM. EQD and RDM varies greatly.

is there any reason why the earn rate for oneworld is NOT based on marketing carrier? i have seen no example so far, if the AA code DOH ORD is such a case, it would be the first one.

I dont care about EQD and RDM as i wont credit AA code flight to AA.

There are many other programs beside AA. There is no reason to get annoyed. I am thinking to give up entirely on AA and just go for JAL emerald.

Reason: i have 28 segments on my 2 DONE fare to be done in 2018. They will be on CX, JL, BA, etc. 7 intra asia segments on JL. JL gives 1.5 multiplier factor intra asia for status miles.
Therefore JL codes CMB - NRT (one way ) 8437 flyon points. i have 4 sectors like this. and i can do domestic jal runs easily 2848 flyon points for one way HND ISG.

if i can reroute, i can do NRT MEL (also has 1.5 multiplier). There are just so much easier with JAL as I dont have to deal with EQD.

I can get emerald on JAL with 80000 flyon points (as JGC member from my first done in 2015).

JAL mile has a much cheaper award chart than AA after the devaluation and I still have 1M AA miles. So I derive more marginal utility for owning a huge stash of JAL miles (they dont expire for diamond, i believe). The downside is no systemwide upgrade but i have 8 upgrades sitting in my account for 2016 and 2017... and i dont seem to have much use these days as I am flying pay J mostly.

example, HKG USA round trip in J is 110000 miles.

Last edited by pbd456; Sep 15, 2017 at 10:11 pm
Old Sep 15, 2017, 11:22 pm

is there any reason why the earn rate for oneworld is NOT based on marketing carrier? i have seen no example so far, if the AA code DOH ORD is such a case, it would be the first one.

I dont care about EQD and RDM as i wont credit AA code flight to AA.

There are many other programs beside AA. There is no reason to get annoyed. I am thinking to give up entirely on AA and just go for JAL emerald.

Reason: i have 28 segments on my 2 DONE fare to be done in 2018. They will be on CX, JL, BA, etc. 7 intra asia segments on JL. JL gives 1.5 multiplier factor intra asia for status miles.
Therefore JL codes CMB - NRT (one way ) 8437 flyon points. i have 4 sectors like this. and i can do domestic jal runs easily 2848 flyon points for one way HND ISG.

if i can reroute, i can do NRT MEL (also has 1.5 multiplier). There are just so much easier with JAL as I dont have to deal with EQD.

I can get emerald on JAL with 80000 flyon points (as JGC member from my first done in 2015).

JAL mile has a much cheaper award chart than AA after the devaluation and I still have 1M AA miles. So I derive more marginal utility for owning a huge stash of JAL miles (they dont expire for diamond, i believe). The downside is no systemwide upgrade but i have 8 upgrades sitting in my account for 2016 and 2017... and i dont seem to have much use these days as I am flying pay J mostly.

example, HKG USA round trip in J is 110000 miles.
I don't think you're following along. This thread is about earning miles in the AA program while flying RTW (usually xONEx) fares. Yes, there are many other programs to credit to, but that's not the point of this thread.

I didn't question whether the AA coded/QR metal ORD-DOH would earn at the AA rate or the QR rate. As you stated oneworld credits based upon the marketing carrier*, so it would earn at the AA rate. The question allset2travel travel posted was how it credit at the AA rate as there are three different ways AA coded flights can credit. All other carriers will only credit one way, but AA has exceptions for special fares, which RTW fares can fall into.

*This only applies to oneworld metal flights. In most cases AA will not give credit for flying none oneworld metal with a oneworld code. For example:
AS code/metal = credit
AA code/AS metal = credit
BA code/AS metal = no credit
BA code/IB metal = credit
The major exception to this rule is QF codes, which credits for non-oneworld metal (except for Jetstar flights)
QF code/metal = credit
QF code/EK metal = credit
QF code/JQ metal = no credit

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.