Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Major schedule change coming in September, another in October 2016 (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Major schedule change coming in September, another in October 2016 (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2016, 10:12 am

Programs: AA Lifetime GLD, SPG Lifetime GLD
Might not be the correct thread, but the schedule change impacts my DFW-MAD-BCN trip next March. It cuts the connection time in MAD down to 65 minutes. From looking at the Iberia website, that looks like it is still sufficient, but I thought I dug up an old AA table that showed MCT at MAD was over 120 minutes.

Any input from those that have been through MAD?

thanks
Old Sep 4, 2016, 10:23 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by Illini_Fan
Might not be the correct thread, but the schedule change impacts my DFW-MAD-BCN trip next March. It cuts the connection time in MAD down to 65 minutes. From looking at the Iberia website, that looks like it is still sufficient, but I thought I dug up an old AA table that showed MCT at MAD was over 120 minutes.

thanks
The minimum connect time currently appears to be 90 minutes if connecting within Terminal 4 and 4S.
Old Sep 4, 2016, 11:02 am

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by UVU Wolverine
I just talked to a former America West (current American Airlines) captain about this. He talked about how more often than not the current ground service situation at LAX for AA leaves more ground time than flight time for the PHX-LAX flights.

He said it wasn't entirely due to gate space but it was exacerbated by the fact that contractors could not get enough ground staff hired due to the long lead times on government training for ground personnel.

Obviously gate space is the major issue for AA at LAX, but it seems other problems are making the overall situation even worse.
This is almost certainly the case - especially for PHX-LAX flights that take off to the west and and land to the west ... and don't require any circling around.

I've done a couple PHX-LAX round trips over the last few weeks. They seem to be really hustling to get the flights in and out on time, but LAX is such an operational mess (in general, for all airlines) that things like taxiing to your gate (even when its open) can take an eternity.

A couple other things to note - AA thought they were doing everyone a favor by moving the Eagle's Nest access from T4 to T6 (gates 60A-I). But that boarding area immediately adjacent to gate 60 is an absolute madhouse, without the space to hold all the passengers bound for the Eagle's Nest. At least in T4, the waiting room was downstairs, so those passengers were separated from the rest of the concourse.

And for all the talk of the demise of the PHX hub, looking around the boarding area its incredible to see how many LAX originating passengers are still connecting to their final destination over PHX.
Old Sep 4, 2016, 11:05 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Dallas49er
A route that MrsDallas49er and I, have continually travelled, and will travel on AA bi-monthly until 1/10/17.

How did you discover this?

1. Checking your flights on AA.com under "My trips"? (I have EF aircraft change alerts set up, and FlightView goes crazy when a flight number gets changed).

2. Reviewing schedules on AA.com on your travel days and city pairings?

3. EF alert?

4. You tell me.

Thank you in advance

OBTW-We avoid ORD whenever possible, prefer MIA as our hub of choice, and were VERY PLEASANTLY surprised last month on LUS #754 with LUS crew PHL-CDG.
Easy. I read this thread and went and checked. I have EF but had not set an alert as this is not until late February. The non-stop is still operational on Mondays and Wednesdays - sorry I haven't checked anything else.

1. I checked EF first and saw that there was no longer a direct flight

2. I checked My Trip at AA.com and saw that my flight had been changed.

3. I note that the flight AA 49 is shown for all days except Tuesday BUT all F is shown as 0 available and a dummy booking shows No Availability in F. Make of that what you will.

4. Came back here to post what had happened and to thank JonNYC

You are welcome and your thoughts are appreciated. I may ask them to put me on the Monday non-stop as I can visit friends in Dallas.
Old Sep 4, 2016, 11:26 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Have things settled down yet?

The reason I ask is when looking at the new options, the coach price on 12/5 for LAX-MIA RT is pricing very high in Y ($765) for the flights I was put on/want to be on, but the flights for other times is $290.

Any thoughts on whether I should wait a day or so before changing back or do it now? (I always go on the 77W, which was moved from 11am to 9am, and they put me on a 321 instead).
Old Sep 4, 2016, 11:31 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beachfan
Have things settled down yet?

The reason I ask is when looking at the new options, the coach price on 12/5 for LAX-MIA RT is pricing very high in Y ($765) for the flights I was put on/want to be on, but the flights for other times is $290.

Any thoughts on whether I should wait a day or so before changing back or do it now? (I always go on the 77W, which was moved from 11am to 9am, and they put me on a 321 instead).
Definitely (and always) wait until Monday to make major decisions after these kinda things (and maybe even Tuesday in this instance.)

Unless, of course, one sees "unique opportunities" -- not uncommon
Old Sep 4, 2016, 11:35 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Thanks again!

The two flights I wanted to change (to save change fees) didn't. I assume that the October changes will be finished after this round but February could get shaken up again?
Old Sep 4, 2016, 11:37 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL

thanks
I did DFW-MAD-LHR about 6 weeks ago and 65 mins was fine. Honestly, I was though and in the lounge in about 15 mins. But, check what AA say, they have a nasty habit of dropping segments where MCT are missed.
Old Sep 4, 2016, 11:40 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Easy. I read this thread and went and checked. I have EF but had not set an alert as this is not until late February. The non-stop is still operational on Mondays and Wednesdays - sorry I haven't checked anything else.

1. I checked EF first and saw that there was no longer a direct flight

2. I checked My Trip at AA.com and saw that my flight had been changed.

3. I note that the flight AA 49 is shown for all days except Tuesday BUT all F is shown as 0 available and a dummy booking shows No Availability in F. Make of that what you will.

4. Came back here to post what had happened and to thank JonNYC

You are welcome and your thoughts are appreciated. I may ask them to put me on the Monday non-stop as I can visit friends in Dallas.
Depending on where we are, you always have a place to stay with us.
Old Sep 4, 2016, 11:42 am

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, DL PM
Thanks JonNYC for posting this - my JFK-LAX-HKG outbound flights had changed.
I was originally on a 7 pm to LAX, but aa moved me to the new 8pm with the later 193 departure. I called aa and got back on the 7 pm instead of having a 49 minute connection in LAX
Old Sep 4, 2016, 12:01 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jay_dubya
Thanks JonNYC for posting this - my JFK-LAX-HKG outbound flights had changed.
I was originally on a 7 pm to LAX, but aa moved me to the new 8pm with the later 193 departure. I called aa and got back on the 7 pm instead of having a 49 minute connection in LAX
Nice move, glad it helped!
Old Sep 4, 2016, 12:04 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, Delta Sky Miles
Originally Posted by northwesterner
This is almost certainly the case - especially for PHX-LAX flights that take off to the west and and land to the west ... and don't require any circling around.

I've done a couple PHX-LAX round trips over the last few weeks. They seem to be really hustling to get the flights in and out on time, but LAX is such an operational mess (in general, for all airlines) that things like taxiing to your gate (even when its open) can take an eternity.

A couple other things to note - AA thought they were doing everyone a favor by moving the Eagle's Nest access from T4 to T6 (gates 60A-I). But that boarding area immediately adjacent to gate 60 is an absolute madhouse, without the space to hold all the passengers bound for the Eagle's Nest. At least in T4, the waiting room was downstairs, so those passengers were separated from the rest of the concourse.

And for all the talk of the demise of the PHX hub, looking around the boarding area its incredible to see how many LAX originating passengers are still connecting to their final destination over PHX.
I don't believe the PHX hub is going anywhere. The PHX airport authority will do whatever it can to make AA happy and there is a growing population and economy in the PHX area. Will the hub be restructured, absolutely. However, I believe we're already seeing the future of PHX with new nonstop RJ service added over the past year to secondary markets such as EGE, FSD, MAF, MEM, LBB, RDM, SAF, SGU.

PHX and LAX will likely operate similar to JFK/LGA and PHL do (except without intercontinental flights). LAX will have the intercontinental flights as well as non-stops to key O/D domestic markets and PHX will have regional flights as well as lower yielding flights and just enough nonstop service to prevent PHX based O/D traffic to move to other airlines.
Old Sep 4, 2016, 12:57 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, KE Morning Calm, AA Gold
A couple adds out of PHX to SAF and FSD. I knew SAF was right around the corner, but FSD took me a bit by surprise. Either way I'm loving all the new markets out of PHX recently!
Old Sep 4, 2016, 12:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

thanks
Looking at the min connection time in MAD, AA seems to arrive at terminal 4S and the IB flights depart from terminal 4 ; the MCT for this seems to be listed in EF at 90 minutes, so I would suggest contacting the airline and getting rebooked
Old Sep 4, 2016, 1:05 pm

Programs: AA Peon Gold
Originally Posted by ztonyg
I don't believe the PHX hub is going anywhere. The PHX airport authority will do whatever it can to make AA happy and there is a growing population and economy in the PHX area. Will the hub be restructured, absolutely. However, I believe we're already seeing the future of PHX with new nonstop RJ service added over the past year to secondary markets such as EGE, FSD, MAF, MEM, LBB, RDM, SAF, SGU.

PHX and LAX will likely operate similar to JFK/LGA and PHL do (except without intercontinental flights). LAX will have the intercontinental flights as well as non-stops to key O/D domestic markets and PHX will have regional flights as well as lower yielding flights and just enough nonstop service to prevent PHX based O/D traffic to move to other airlines.
I agree.

AA is also opening a 738 pilot base in PHX, which isn't a move you would expect if AA has plans to slash and burn the hub.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.