Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA 757 "75L" with R/C - B/E Diamond Business seat (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 19, 2016, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Boeing 757-200 CIP with Rockwell Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel J seat

The first AA Boeing 757-200 with 16 Rockwell Collins (B/E Aerospace) Diamond Parallel seat in business class entered service on September 1, 2016. These replaced the "NGBC" seats used in the "75L" transatlantic 757, and the B/E Aerospace / Rockwell Collins Diamond seat is the same used in the A321T three class transcon in business class.

The Diamond shell seat in the horizontally flat position is not quite long enough for tall people. Those over six feet /183 cm will find they need to sleep in a drawn up legs. The window side seat foot well is narrower than the aisle seat foot well, and the window side will not accommodate two large (13 or European 46) size feet. Window seat passengers will have to step over the aisle seat passenger if that person is sleeping reclined flat.

See the American Fleet Site (not AA affiliated) here for state of fleet conversion.

The new configuration is 16 Business, 160 combined (108) Main Cabin and (52) Main Cabin Extra seats. There are 24 remaining (all Legacy American Airlines) 757-200s converted to the “75L” “international” version.

(There are 10 Legacy US Airways “East” 757-200s converted to 12F/176Y (including MCE) Hawaii service aircraft, based in PHX.) All other AA 757-200s have been withdrawn from AA service.

There is no in seat AVOD or WiFi served IFE installed on these planes (tablets are distributed to Business passengers along with B&O noise-reducing headsets on International flights).

In flight Panasonic satellite-based WiFi is offered for a fee.

The seat in Y have been reupholstered with "pleather", a plastic-based simulated leather.

J has two 5 1.1 amp VDC USB ports and 110 VAC universal power ports at each seat. MCE has power.

See post #1 or #123 for photographs (courtesy of CMK10 and Australian Business Traveller)

Historical:

Link to CONFIRMED: American’s First Boeing 757 International Lie Flat Business Seat Being Installed Now, by Gary Leff on August 19, 2016. Photos.

See here for Interior Photos

Print Wikipost

AA 757 "75L" with R/C - B/E Diamond Business seat (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2017, 1:19 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by jay_dubya
International CoC says equipment swap is a valid reason to change reservation. Might take a few tries, but definitely worth fighting for. 757 is cramped, uncomfortable, and not what you paid for.
Call reservations.
Good luck
Thank you - I'll call. Do you mind telling me what the CoC means and where I could quote it?

Many Thanks!
Old May 22, 2017, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's not actually in the contract of carriage. It's in the International tariff, which is effectively an international version of the CoC.

That said, these seats are totally fine, especially for two people traveling together, unless one person is particularly tall with big feet. However, in that case, you'd have the same issues with the 763 seats. Further however, the bulkhead row in both configs will have somewhat wider footwells.

If you still want to change, you'll be offered a refund, and/or you can try to rebook via LHR or something, but that would just be a waste of time IMO. Pretty sure they'll charge you for any fare differential however.
Old May 22, 2017, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Had my CLT-JFK last Friday and rather enjoyed it having done dozens of flights on this route across the various other shorthaul equipment in the last few years. Was my first time in this seat outside of the 321T.

I assume the USB in the "PTV hole" is used to power the PTV on international flights?

Interestingly for as far as collecting my BPs before my connecting flight to CLT (around 5hrs before departure) I was still the only pre-assigned seat. Of course it went out full.
Old May 22, 2017, 7:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by ijgordon
It's not actually in the contract of carriage. It's in the International tariff, which is effectively an international version of the CoC.

That said, these seats are totally fine, especially for two people traveling together, unless one person is particularly tall with big feet. However, in that case, you'd have the same issues with the 763 seats. Further however, the bulkhead row in both configs will have somewhat wider footwells.

If you still want to change, you'll be offered a refund, and/or you can try to rebook via LHR or something, but that would just be a waste of time IMO. Pretty sure they'll charge you for any fare differential however.
ijgordon makes an excellent point: while I too would prefer the 767 for trans-oceanic travel really because of that 'wide-body' feel, we've taken AA's 757 to CDG and BRU in J several times and it's really not that bad at all if you are a party of two. IIRC, service has been pretty attentive too; what with the small cabin and all.
Old May 22, 2017, 7:55 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
ijgordon makes an excellent point: while I too would prefer the 767 for trans-oceanic travel really because of that 'wide-body' feel, we've taken AA's 757 to CDG and BRU in J several times and it's really not that bad at all if you are a party of two. IIRC, service has been pretty attentive too; what with the small cabin and all.
Absolutely agree.
Old May 23, 2017, 5:37 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Absolutely agree.
Thanks for all your advice - so the consensus from the Cognoscenti is that the 757 is fine and I don't have to start long phone calls with anyone. Who knows? - with AA at the moment by September the timing and the aircraft could have changed yet again. I might have asked for the flight to PHL but I'd far rather a non-stop if possible.

Thank you again for your help.
Old May 23, 2017, 7:52 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Flew N194AA May 18 CUN-DFW, picked up the last 2 first seats at the gate, as a sticker upgrade.

Flight was delayed more than 5 hours, 2 trips back to the gate - first time due to a sticky hydraulic valve, second due to fuel pump issues. Delay was compounded by passengers bailing out of the flight, changing weight and balance, ground crew removing their luggage.

In the confusion, FC FA burned the nuts and rolls.

In hindsight, it was a wise decision to burn 6 stickers for what should have been a less than 3 hour flight.
Old May 23, 2017, 8:25 am

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by diver858
Flew N194AA May 18 CUN-DFW, picked up the last 2 first seats at the gate, as a sticker upgrade.

Flight was delayed more than 5 hours, 2 trips back to the gate - first time due to a sticky hydraulic valve, second due to fuel pump issues. Delay was compounded by passengers bailing out of the flight, changing weight and balance, ground crew removing their luggage.

In the confusion, FC FA burned the nuts and rolls.

In hindsight, it was a wise decision to burn 6 stickers for what should have been a less than 3 hour flight.
......the drama. That had to test your patience.
Old May 31, 2017, 2:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, UA Silver
Smile

is there an update on the number of 757s retrofitted and their tail #s ?
Flying LIM-DFW and was hoping to get one.
Old May 31, 2017, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by dantevn
is there an update on the number of 757s retrofitted and their tail #s ?
Flying LIM-DFW and was hoping to get one.
See link below, still 9 TA birds in old config.

https://sites.google.com/site/newame...boeing-757-200
Old Jun 1, 2017, 10:02 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, UA Silver
awesome! thanks!
I hope i get a new one

Originally Posted by zeke320
See link below, still 9 TA birds in old config.

https://sites.google.com/site/newame...boeing-757-200
Old Jun 7, 2017, 8:44 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Am I correct in that it seems DUB-JFK AA291 rotates between new and old seats?
Old Jun 8, 2017, 12:31 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by frudd38
Am I correct in that it seems DUB-JFK AA291 rotates between new and old seats?
According to the information available on that American Fleet site and FlightRadar24, yes.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 7:51 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Rapid Rewards, AA Advantage, United Mileage Plus
MIA-STT Aug 17

Originally Posted by Austin787
Look at the business class section on the seat map. If it has 4 rows it's the international config; if it is 6 rows it's the domestic config.
Does anyone have recent experience with this flight path and know if it will have new configuration? Seat map shows 16 in J, but I know there are two configurations with 16, one new and one old. Looked at tail numbers for recent flight and compared them to the upgrade wiki and looks like they are, but can't be sure. Are Caribbean routes using the new 75L layouts?? Thanks for the help!
Old Jun 21, 2017, 10:31 am

Anyone aware of what the policy is regarding being reccaomodated on an alternative routing if a non-lieflat aircraft gets put on a transatlantic route.

Interestingly, AA.com advertises the 757 as having lie flat seats so flying one of the slopey seats on a tranatlantic seems to run counter to this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.