Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA 757 "75L" with R/C - B/E Diamond Business seat (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 19, 2016, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Boeing 757-200 CIP with Rockwell Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel J seat

The first AA Boeing 757-200 with 16 Rockwell Collins (B/E Aerospace) Diamond Parallel seat in business class entered service on September 1, 2016. These replaced the "NGBC" seats used in the "75L" transatlantic 757, and the B/E Aerospace / Rockwell Collins Diamond seat is the same used in the A321T three class transcon in business class.

The Diamond shell seat in the horizontally flat position is not quite long enough for tall people. Those over six feet /183 cm will find they need to sleep in a drawn up legs. The window side seat foot well is narrower than the aisle seat foot well, and the window side will not accommodate two large (13 or European 46) size feet. Window seat passengers will have to step over the aisle seat passenger if that person is sleeping reclined flat.

See the American Fleet Site (not AA affiliated) here for state of fleet conversion.

The new configuration is 16 Business, 160 combined (108) Main Cabin and (52) Main Cabin Extra seats. There are 24 remaining (all Legacy American Airlines) 757-200s converted to the “75L” “international” version.

(There are 10 Legacy US Airways “East” 757-200s converted to 12F/176Y (including MCE) Hawaii service aircraft, based in PHX.) All other AA 757-200s have been withdrawn from AA service.

There is no in seat AVOD or WiFi served IFE installed on these planes (tablets are distributed to Business passengers along with B&O noise-reducing headsets on International flights).

In flight Panasonic satellite-based WiFi is offered for a fee.

The seat in Y have been reupholstered with "pleather", a plastic-based simulated leather.

J has two 5 1.1 amp VDC USB ports and 110 VAC universal power ports at each seat. MCE has power.

See post #1 or #123 for photographs (courtesy of CMK10 and Australian Business Traveller)

Historical:

Link to CONFIRMED: American’s First Boeing 757 International Lie Flat Business Seat Being Installed Now, by Gary Leff on August 19, 2016. Photos.

See here for Interior Photos

Print Wikipost

AA 757 "75L" with R/C - B/E Diamond Business seat (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2017, 5:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Originally Posted by Fanjet
Every 757 with 16 F in the seatmap are the lie-flat version J seats, or the flat-angled J seats (which are becoming fewer and fewer). Only the ones with 12 F seats are domestic F seats.
Thanks! Hope it holds...
Old Sep 24, 2017, 7:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by Fanjet
Every 757 with 16 F in the seatmap are the lie-flat version J seats, or the flat-angled J seats (which are becoming fewer and fewer). Only the ones with 12 F seats are domestic F seats.
Yes, buyer beware: I'm pretty sure all of the ex-Envoy seats are gone.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 4:10 pm

No IFE neother tablet in Business?

Hi

I was on AA64 MIA JFK ZRH. The F/As on MIA JFK 75L told me that the tablets are only for "international passengers" so they would not be handing them out.

Is this the rule or did they pull a quick one to reduce their workload?

Thanks.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by f4free
That is accurate. I've done a few 757 flights with the B/E Diamond seats domestically now and they've never had the screens in place.

Was the case on the 75Ls with the old Recaro seats too.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 4:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by Fraser
That is accurate. I've done a few 757 flights with the B/E Diamond seats domestically now and they've never had the screens in place.

The previous 75L business seats had built in AVOD though.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 5:46 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by tylerdurden4543
I'm on a 757 ORD-MIA December 19, which now appears to only have 16 seats (four rows of four). Is that the 75L or is there another version it could be?
That's a 75L. Considering that there are only two active domestic configuration 757s remaining and LUS equipment doesn't operate ORD-MIA, the odds are overwhelmingly in your favor that it'll hold.

And on the 76R which also has no built-in AVOD.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 10:38 am

Programs: AA EXP
Is there any differentiation any longer between domestic vs. international B757 configurations? Reading through a couple threads on here, I guess I'm still a little confused regarding LUS vs. LAA 757s, as well as the "east" vs. "west" aircraft. Looking at the AA.com planes site, it says there are only two 757 configurations in service - one with 16F lie-flats and another with 12F standard. However, not that long ago I was on what I believe to be a different version, (probably LUS) from PHL-PIT that had 12 lie flats up front.

The reason for my inquiry is that I have a couple PHL-LAS trips coming up in the next few months, and they've added a daily PHL-LAS-PHL flight (2252) a few days a week on a 757 with 16F and what looks to be a full complement of MCE seats. If I'm understanding everything correctly, I believe this means those F seats will be lie flat, but can anyone confirm? I've had pretty good success getting my EXP upgrades to clear on this route, would definitely pick this flight for a chance to cross country in a lie flat vs. the standard LUS-A321 seats, but I know being located in PHL it seems that we always end up with LUS planes and these new 757s seem like LAA versions, so I wasn't sure if there was some odd domestic configuration still out there. Thanks for your help!

Last edited by zzpitt; Nov 6, 2017 at 10:41 am Reason: added flight number
Old Nov 6, 2017, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by zzpitt
Is there any differentiation any longer between domestic vs. international B757 configurations? Reading through a couple threads on here, I guess I'm still a little confused regarding LUS vs. LAA 757s, as well as the "east" vs. "west" aircraft. Looking at the AA.com planes site, it says there are only two 757 configurations in service - one with 16F lie-flats and another with 12F standard. However, not that long ago I was on what I believe to be a different version, (probably LUS) from PHL-PIT that had 12 lie flats up front.

The reason for my inquiry is that I have a couple PHL-LAS trips coming up in the next few months, and they've added a daily PHL-LAS-PHL flight (2252) a few days a week on a 757 with 16F and what looks to be a full complement of MCE seats. If I'm understanding everything correctly, I believe this means those F seats will be lie flat, but can anyone confirm? I've had pretty good success getting my EXP upgrades to clear on this route, would definitely pick this flight for a chance to cross country in a lie flat vs. the standard LUS-A321 seats, but I know being located in PHL it seems that we always end up with LUS planes and these new 757s seem like LAA versions, so I wasn't sure if there was some odd domestic configuration still out there. Thanks for your help!
16F are LAA international birds
12F are LUS birds. Some may still have the non-flat bed international config. But these are all being reconfigured for Hawaii service. They will have 12F and MCE. I am not sure how many have gone through the retrofit.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 12:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by nova08
16F are LAA international birds
12F are LUS birds. Some may still have the non-flat bed international config. But these are all being reconfigured for Hawaii service. They will have 12F and MCE. I am not sure how many have gone through the retrofit.
Got it. So it appears then that they've moved this LAA 757 international configured plane into the rotation out of PHL for this domestic route to LAS. Is that unusual? I know I've read on here that certain international aircraft have certain routings to get in position for later flights, but it appears this is strictly PHL-LAS-PHL so no out of market positioning. Either way, I've booked two trips where the schedule worked out well, definitely a nice change of pace to the LUS-A321 that dominates this route.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 8:49 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Looks like N679AN, the last LAA 757 in the domestic configuration (and last in the old livery) was retired to Roswell this morning: http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N679AN. This now brings the number of 757 configurations down to only 2: the LAA International and LUS "Hawaii" refurb. At one point, I'm pretty sure AA was flying around with 6 different 757 configurations.
JDiver likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by arc727
Looks like N679AN, the last LAA 757 in the domestic configuration (and last in the old livery) was retired to Roswell this morning: http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N679AN. This now brings the number of 757 configurations down to only 2: the LAA International and LUS "Hawaii" refurb. At one point, I'm pretty sure AA was flying around with 6 different 757 configurations.
Wow. I had no idea the domestic 24F 757s were going so quickly! Good news in that if you end up on a 757 you're bound to get a better than normal seat....and does explain why all my upcoming 757 flights are showing as 4 rows of FC.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 11:09 am

Programs: AA- EXP UA - Silver SPG- PLT Marriott- PLT
Wow. I had no idea the domestic 24F 757s were going so quickly! Good news in that if you end up on a 757 you're bound to get a better than normal seat....and does explain why all my upcoming 757 flights are showing as 4 rows of FC.
sad day that these are going away. It was the only plane that had a decent ratio of Y:F seats. The A 321s SHOULD have at least 20 or 24 FC seats, but god knows we'll never see that with the current horrible leadership.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 2:05 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by arc727
Actually, by my count, it was 7 configurations (although this word is subjective, as the differences in some were merely seat type/manufacturer, rather than actual configuration or seat map)!

Just for fun, I've listed them here, all of which I believe did overlap at some point concurrently in service:

LUS:
1. LHP, 14F
2. LUS, 12J
3. LUS, 12F
LAA:
4. 22F
5. 24F
6. 16J Recaro
7. 16J B/E

757 roulette seems to be a pretty common occurrence at the remaining majors. Similar numbers of configurations either exist or have recently existed at UA, and especially at DL, which has a shockingly large number of 757 configurations, given all of the re-fit and re-furb programs between the LNW and LDL fleets.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 8:32 pm

Programs: AA, Southwest, Hilton, Hyatt
Originally Posted by f4free
Hi

I was on AA64 MIA JFK ZRH. The F/As on MIA JFK 75L told me that the tablets are only for "international passengers" so they would not be handing them out.

Thanks.
It isn't that they are reducing their workload, though for consistency they shouldn't be handed out domestically, the tablets are not stored on the aircraft as they are offloaded by catering to be counted, cleaned, and supposedly tested. They're only loaded for appropriate flights for the previous reasons and to save weight.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 8:49 pm

Programs: AA, Southwest, Hilton, Hyatt
Originally Posted by chicagoflyer1976
sad day that these are going away. It was the only plane that had a decent ratio of Y:F seats. The A 321s SHOULD have at least 20 or 24 FC seats, but god knows we'll never see that with the current horrible leadership.
There is a reconfiguration plan to increase the number of FC seats on the A321 to either 20 or 24 seats, cant remember the exact number. With DL having more seats in FC domestically and elites complaining about the lack of upgrades clearing you can bet this change will happen. However, with so many widebodies getting Premium Economy and MCE reconfigs this will most likely take a while.

Others have pointed out the number of different configurations even on the same aircraft type e.g. A319, 737, 777, A321 and PMUS aircraft not having the same business class there is a focus on product consistency.

As a side note... getting the 767 Y experience up to industry standard is being studied given the timeline for these aircraft staying in the fleet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.