Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Free WiFi Streaming IFE on Personal Devices (with App) 08/2016, expansion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 25, 2017, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA IFE Free WiFi Streaming to App on Personal Devices

AA announced on 24 Jan 2017 that, as 90% of passengers are flying with personal devices with screens capable of WiFi use, free WiFi streaming of music and movies in some domestic / narrowbody aircraft mid-2016. This streaming is currently available on a subset of AA aircraft, and is being expanded.

As of the new Boeing 737 MAX aircraft due to arrive in 2017, seatback IFE will be substituted by free, streaming high-quality movies and music from an on board server.

As well, much of AA current GoGo based WiFi internet (using cellular telephony technology) will change to (paid) ViaSat satellite Ku band WiFi internet providing access speedy enough it will allow video streaming. This transition will be finished in 2019.

Both will be available from gate to gate.

Seatback IFE monitors will be retained on
  • Airbus A321T three Class aircraft
  • Airbus A330
  • Airbus A350
  • Boeing 777
  • Boeing 787
The remaining Boeing 737-800s (and A321 / 32Bs) will be delivered with seatback AVOD. See New AA 738 with audio video on demand / AVOD began flying 18 Dec 2013

"Other key things to remember:
  • This year we take delivery of 40 current-generation Boeing 737 and Airbus A321 aircraft. They will arrive with seatback monitors and power at every seat

• By the summer of 2018 we will have completed installation of the faster satellite-based Wi-Fi on half of our narrowbodies, with all of them done by the end of 2019

• We expect 50 percent of our domestic narrowbody aircraft to be equipped with power at every seat by the end of 2018, and over 85 percent equipped by the end of 2020"
Print Wikipost

Free WiFi Streaming IFE on Personal Devices (with App) 08/2016, expansion

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2016, 2:50 am

Originally Posted by randkinca
Has anyone had any experience with the new "FREE" personal device IFE? How does it work? Does it activate only when you're on-board? I have the AA app and don't see a link to it anywhere?
You need the gogo app, not the AA app.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 3:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I was on LGA-MSP on a republic E175 yesterday and while the WiFi worked fine, I could not find any movies or TV content and I know how to look for this stuff. Why would this plane not have any video/tv entertainment on the WiFi?
Old Sep 6, 2016, 5:01 pm

Programs: AA- EXP UA - Silver SPG- PLT Marriott- PLT
From what I understand, the in-flight streaming is coming from a server on-board the AC. While you need to connect to Gogo to access it, the streaming is actually done from on the plane, so wifi speeds don't affect the quality.

The announcement about "free" entertainment is a bit misleading. Planes with seatback tvs have free entertainment, but I don't think the planes without seatback tvs (and have media servers) offer free entertainment.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 5:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by chicagoflyer1976
From what I understand, the in-flight streaming is coming from a server on-board the AC. While you need to connect to Gogo to access it, the streaming is actually done from on the plane, so wifi speeds don't affect the quality.

The announcement about "free" entertainment is a bit misleading. Planes with seatback tvs have free entertainment, but I don't think the planes without seatback tvs (and have media servers) offer free entertainment.
Planes without seatback TVs definitely have the on-board server to dish out entertainment (been that way for years and I even worked on this project between AA/Gogo), but maybe it doesn't work on regionals? No idea why it wouldn't.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 5:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG / Marriott GLD, HHonors GLD
Looks like it's consistently loading 2-3 movies and 2-3 shows on the LUS transcon A321s for me. Was able to watch two movies back to SFO from Charlotte yesterday afternoon; same with flight out Thurs evening and two more the week before

as others have said, you have to connect to gogo inflight and open browser on your phone or device. Then click entertainment, make your selection, and if you don't have the right app it'll prompt you to download it first
Old Sep 6, 2016, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by chicagoflyer1976

they most definitely do. The old LUS planes without seatback TV's still have movies available. What's free this week on every route that doesn't have seatback TV's is Keanu, Zoolander 2, Nice Guys and some other ones. Maybe 4 movies and 2 shows or so.

But yes, my Republic flight also only had wifi, no shows. Must be a Republic issue.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 7:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Smiley90
they most definitely do. The old LUS planes without seatback TV's still have movies available. What's free this week on every route that doesn't have seatback TV's is Keanu, Zoolander 2, Nice Guys and some other ones. Maybe 4 movies and 2 shows or so.

But yes, my Republic flight also only had wifi, no shows. Must be a Republic issue.
Glad I wasn't going crazy.....regional planes were not even part of the conversation years ago when this rolled out (and I have moved on to new opportunities) so was not sure why regional would be left out in current day.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 3:06 pm
Suspended

I tried out the in-flight streaming IFE this weekend and not all movies/TV were free, I thought they were, no? It was trying to charge me $5 for the movie Neighbors 2.....did I miss something?
Old Sep 20, 2016, 3:56 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
I went to access the free entertainment the other day and was directed to download the app while on my ipad. When doing this, I actually was able to get free internet to check e-mails and browse the web (albeit slow to browse). It went away after 15 minutes or so but when I went back to "download the app" I was given the free internet again.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 4:56 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott, Hilton, Avis, Hertz
http://https://www.runwaygirlnetwork...-content-play/

Not sure how reliable the source is...
Old Sep 22, 2016, 5:00 am

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
Over the weekend I was on PHL-PBI and it did have the streaming to your personal device with a gogo app (not AA). I also thought they were all to be paid for, until I looked closer and realized there were about 5 movies for free. It is there, you just have to see it and really it is not hidden. It worked well. You do not have to pay for Wifi for these movies.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 2:49 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
I was on an IAH-MIA flight last week and it appeared there was a charge for all the streaming movies.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA, HH & Marriott
Originally Posted by randkinca
Has anyone had any experience with the new "FREE" personal device IFE? How does it work? Does it activate only when you're on-board? I have the AA app and don't see a link to it anywhere?
Originally Posted by britz
Does anyone know what they mean by "the latest version of the American Airlines app"? I assumed the mobile app (where you see upcoming flights, etc) at first, but they mention this app is for phones, tablets and laptops. I haven't tried to stream on the plane in a long time so I'm probably just out of the loop on this... Regardless I don't see anything about streaming on the mobile app, last I remember it was accessing through a browser.
What I did to make it work was the following:

-While in the air and when Wi-Fi was enabled on the plane, I connected to gogo.
-Then, opened a browser and it automatically took me to a landing page to accept the terms and conditions
-Then, the web page automatically redirected to another landing page with various offers of paid Wi-Fi with the section for the Entertainment at the bottom of this same web page
-After clicking on the Entertainment link, the Entertainment page had several entertainment options (movies, shows and etc.) to pay for and then a section in the middle that had complimentary content.
-When you click on any of the complimentary selections, then it prompts you to whether continue to the video via your browser or via the AA app.
-I chose to default the playing of video via the AA app so future selections on the Entertainment page prompted the AA app to play the video.

Prior to the above steps, nowhere in the app did it tell you how to access the streaming IFE. I was looking for a specific section to see how I can browse to it, but the trick was to use the browser to do all of the navigating and the AA app to just show the video. I suppose the browser could've also played the video, too, but I decided to use the AA app that worked out well.

Originally Posted by Djokison
You need the gogo app, not the AA app.
Like I said above, you can use different programs to view entertainment. I did not install the gogo app and was able to use the AA app per the steps above. I probably could've used the gogo app, but it would've been a useless additional app for me.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 3:12 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
AA internal memorandum release, as quoted by Runway Girl Network (link) 24 Jan 2017:

"We know in-flight entertainment is important to our customers, which is why we’ve committed to offering free, streaming high-quality movies and music, and to investing in fast satellite-based Internet access and power at every seat across our domestic fleet.

Entertainment and connection options like these are the future of in-flight entertainment, which is why we’ve decided that our new Boeing 737 MAX will arrive later this year without seatback video screens.

More than 90 percent of our passengers already bring a device or screen with them when they fly. Those phones and tablets are continually upgraded, they’re easy to use, and most importantly they are the technology that our customers have chosen. So it makes sense for American to focus on giving customers the best entertainment and fast connection options rather than installing seatback monitors that will be obsolete within a few years.

Every customer with a phone, tablet or laptop will be able to watch free movies and TV shows from our extensive on-board library, as well as free live television channels, all without purchasing an in-flight Internet connection.

For those who want to pay to get online, the high-speed, satellite-based Internet access* we are installing on the MAX and other aircraft is so fast that everyone on the plane can stream Netflix, Amazon, and other video-on-demand, as well as text and surf the web over a connection that’s just as fast as what they have in their homes.

Both our free streaming library as well as satellite Internet connections will work from gate-to-gate.

While streaming entertainment is an increasingly good option for domestic flights, seat-back screens will continue to be important to customers flying internationally. Our widebodies will continue to have seatback screens, and some of our narrowbodies used for specific flights will also keep their seatback screens. We’ll keep seatback monitors on Boeing 777s, 787s, Airbus A330s, and our A350s, which begin arriving next year. We’re also committed to seat-back screens on our three-class A321s.

Other key things to remember:
This year we take delivery of 40 current-generation Boeing 737 and Airbus A321 aircraft. They will arrive with seatback monitors and power at every seat
By the summer of 2018 we will have completed installation of the faster satellite-based Wi-Fi on half of our narrowbodies, with all of them done by the end of 2019
We expect 50 percent of our domestic narrowbody aircraft to be equipped with power at every seat by the end of 2018, and over 85 percent equipped by the end of 2020
*ViaSat Ka band internet (streaming music and movies via onboard server, independently from ViaSat internet)

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 26, 2017 at 10:09 am
Old Jan 24, 2017, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
This is a pAAthetic, cheAAp, and stupid decision. Though not at all surprising with Discount Dougie at the helm. When AA's service and reliability is totally sub-par, they should chomp at the bit at anything that gives them a competitive advantage. Thus, very little reason to remain loyal to this LCC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.