Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Free WiFi Streaming IFE on Personal Devices (with App) 08/2016, expansion

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 8, 17, 10:52 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
AA IFE Free WiFi Streaming to App on Personal Devices

AA announced on 24 Jan 2017 that, as 90% of passengers are flying with personal devices with screens capable of WiFi use, free WiFi streaming of music and movies in some domestic / narrowbody aircraft mid-2016. This streaming is currently available on a subset of AA aircraft, and is being expanded.

As of the new Boeing 737 MAX aircraft due to arrive in 2017, seatback IFE will be substituted by free, streaming high-quality movies and music from an on board server.

As well, much of AA current GoGo based WiFi internet (using cellular telephony technology) will change to (paid) ViaSat satellite Ku band WiFi internet providing access speedy enough it will allow video streaming. This transition will be finished in 2019.

Both will be available from gate to gate.

Seatback IFE monitors will be retained on
  • Airbus A321T three Class aircraft
  • Airbus A330
  • Airbus A350
  • Boeing 777
  • Boeing 787
The remaining Boeing 737-800s (and A321 / 32Bs) will be delivered with seatback AVOD. See New AA 738 with audio video on demand / AVOD began flying 18 Dec 2013

"Other key things to remember:
  • This year we take delivery of 40 current-generation Boeing 737 and Airbus A321 aircraft. They will arrive with seatback monitors and power at every seat

• By the summer of 2018 we will have completed installation of the faster satellite-based Wi-Fi on half of our narrowbodies, with all of them done by the end of 2019

• We expect 50 percent of our domestic narrowbody aircraft to be equipped with power at every seat by the end of 2018, and over 85 percent equipped by the end of 2020"
Print Wikipost

Old Aug 8, 16, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond

I was looking at the in-flight movie section on the website after seeing the main screen background about free movies. I noticed this section on the streaming service, "Watch on your personal device
Stream movies and TV shows to your phone, tablet or laptop with the latest version of the American Airlines app. You can also watch select premium movies at no charge."

My experience has been that all the streaming movies were 5.99. So have they followed Delta and started providing free entertainment on their planes without seat back IFE? Anyone experienced this? I'm surprised they haven't made a big announcement about it.

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 30, 16 at 3:59 am Reason: Restore original post title
Old Aug 8, 16, 1:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM lifetime Platinum, Expedia +gold +++
Originally Posted by wareagle98 View Post
I was looking at the in-flight movie section on the website after seeing the main screen background about free movies. I noticed this section on the streaming service, "Watch on your personal device
Stream movies and TV shows to your phone, tablet or laptop with the latest version of the American Airlines app. You can also watch select premium movies at no charge."

My experience has been that all the streaming movies were 5.99. So have they followed Delta and started providing free entertainment on their planes without seat back IFE? Anyone experienced this? I'm surprised they haven't made a big announcement about it.
Not sure why this post has been moved to this thread, but yesterday all screens had free entertainment on our 737 yesterday both J and Y . I also saw soemthing about it on aa.com so must be something new.
Old Aug 8, 16, 2:09 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Originally Posted by FAA1996 View Post
Not sure why this post has been moved to this thread, but yesterday all screens had free entertainment on our 737 yesterday both J and Y . I also saw soemthing about it on aa.com so must be something new.
On Saturday (8/6), I was on ORD-CLT (LUS A321) and it was still asking for $5.99 for a movie rental.
Old Aug 8, 16, 2:18 pm

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by akcae View Post
On Saturday (8/6), I was on ORD-CLT (LUS A321) and it was still asking for $5.99 for a movie rental.
LUS A321's have IFE? I thought only the LAA ones did?
Old Aug 8, 16, 2:39 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Gobalist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by Smiley90 View Post
LUS A321's have IFE? I thought only the LAA ones did?
Streaming....as to your own device
Old Aug 8, 16, 4:04 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Your posts were merged into another thread, nearly as i can make out by some unidentified technical glitch. Our apologies for any inconvenience.

/Moderator
Old Aug 9, 16, 8:37 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Originally Posted by aamilesslave View Post
Streaming....as to your own device
Correct, sorry I was unclear. This was when I viewed the streaming offerings on my iPad.
Old Aug 9, 16, 9:37 am

Programs: DL GM, AAdvantage EXECPLAT, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Looks like OP was right!

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/americ...130000156.html
Old Aug 9, 16, 9:56 am

Programs: AA, HH
Originally Posted by AANYC1981 View Post
more info here,

American Is Now Offering All In-Flight Entertainment For Free

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...586.1408640625
Old Aug 9, 16, 10:16 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG / Marriott GLD, HHonors GLD
this is really good news. Those 5 hour west-coast bound flights from LUS hubs were downright painful on the A321s when I'm flying back from a weekend or something east and am not working. Even in F the lack of free IFE was annoying. Delta before making it free to Y had found a way that you could enter your last name and seat number and get it for free in Comfort+ and F but AA/US hadn't

Next step I hope is adding power to those planes so that my devices last the whole 5 hour flight. Lack of power in F is downright embarrassing at this point
Old Aug 9, 16, 11:16 am

Programs: DL DM; AA EXP, 1MM
Nice to see AA copying good things from DL too.
Old Aug 9, 16, 11:30 am

Programs: AA Plat; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold; IHG Gold
Wonderful. I assume that means the wi-fi is also free on planes with no IFE? I wind up those LUS A321s way too often...
Old Aug 9, 16, 12:06 pm

Programs: DL, UA
Curious how the streaming entertainment will work on flights that leave the continental USA such as on LUS A319s and A321s that fly from CLT or PHL for Caribbean islands. I get that wifi internet won't function but what about streaming? I think GOGO installs servers onboard the aircraft so that may mean streaming entertainment is a nonissue but I'm not sure.

Skycubbie
Old Aug 9, 16, 12:28 pm

And still the UK gets TATL flights with only centre isle screens.
1970's entertainment levels
Old Aug 9, 16, 12:38 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum View Post
Wonderful. I assume that means the wi-fi is also free on planes with no IFE? I wind up those LUS A321s way too often...
Those A321s already have inflight streaming and no, Wi-Fi will not be free.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: