Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

HELP DESK: Earning Elite Qualifying EQD, EQM, EQS & Award / RDM AA, Partners

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 23, 2016, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

This thread is dedicated to questions, discussion, and answers, requests for calculation verification, assistance, input, etc. about earning
  • Elite Qualifying Miles (EQM) for travel as of 1 Jan 2016
  • Award / Redeemable Miles (RDM) for travel as of 1 Aug 2016
  • Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQD) fof travel as of 1 Jan 2017
  • Elite Qualifying Segments (EQS)

See the relevant threads in the Wikipost for basic and specific information relating to these topics.

/Moderation team

Relevant threads:

GUIDE: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA and partner airlines (2017 on)

GUIDE: Earning AA Elite Qualifying Miles / EQM on AA, oneworld, partner airlines 2017

GUIDE: Earning AA Award / Redeemable Miles / RDM on AA, partners 1 Aug 2016

JUST THE FACTS: EQD, status tier, other changes announced 6 Jun 2016 ("Just the facts" Q&A, discussion, of new changes)

Link to AAdvantage spreadsheet /spreadsheets & apps available for download

Can I See / Estimate EQD / EQM / RDM After Booking, Before Flying?

No. You can see your estimated EQD - EQM - RDM earnings for AA marketed flights once you have selected flights on AA.com before you book, and you can see all your actual earnings once you have flown and the flights have posted to your AAdvantage account.

If you use a tool to break down your trip so you can see your base fare and carrier imposed fees you can calculate your estimated EQD (for those flights earning EQD using that method, AA marketed flights). For estimated EQM and RDM you can calculate based on flown miles, fare class credit, etc.

For further information, see aa.com:

AAdvantage® earning estimates - FAQ
(aa.com "AAdvantage program updates" - link

Q. Will I be able to view my expected earnings for travel on flights marketed by American and by other airlines online?

A. You will be able to view your expected earnings for travel on flights marketed by American Airlines. Trips including flights marketed by other airlines will not display your expected earnings at this time.

Q. Where can I see how many award miles and Elite Qualifying Credits I can expect to earn for my trip on aa.com?

A. This information is displayed on aa.com after you’ve selected your flights, just prior to purchasing your reservation, on the Review and Pay page.

Q. Will promotional bonuses from special offers be included in the AAdvantage® earnings displayed?

A. No, promotional bonuses will only be displayed when your flight is posted to your account.

Q. Do I need to include my AAdvantage® number in order to view my expected earnings?

A. Yes, you will need to include your AAdvantage® number at the time of booking to view your expected earnings.

Q. Can I retrieve my expected earnings after I’ve purchased my trip online or for reservations booked elsewhere that can be viewed online?

A. No, you will only be able to view your expected earnings prior to purchasing your ticket on the Review and Pay page online.

Q. Why are the earnings shown referred to as estimates and expected earnings?

A. Award miles and Elite Qualifying Credits shown could differ from what you actually earn if you change your ticket, your elite status level changes or due to currency fluctuations for purchases not made in USD.

FT: Q. What are the rules governing earning AAdvantage miles etc. on codeshares?

1. AA codeshares earn as if you were flying AA, regardless of which airline operates them.

2. oneworld airline codeshares operated by oneworld airlines earn according to the marketing airline (airline whose flight is being flown, e.g. CX operated by JL earns as CX. oneworld marketed flights (codeshares) operated by non-oneworld airlines, e.g. EI operated by BA, do not earn AAdvantage miles. Other airline-marketed flights operated by AA earn as if you were flying the marketing airline.

3. Exceptions include Qantas/ QF codeshares operated by non-oneworld airlines, e.g. EY, FJ, etc.; many JL flights operated by non-oneworld airlines and some AY flights operated by non-oneworld airlines do earn AAdvantage miles.

4. Where you buy your tickets is irrelevant.

The 2017 thread can be read here.

The 2016 thread can be read here.

Print Wikipost

HELP DESK: Earning Elite Qualifying EQD, EQM, EQS & Award / RDM AA, Partners

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2019, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by ashill
The AS SEA-ABQ flight will earn zippo if it is marketed as an AS flight. However, if it's marketed as a JL flight, I believe it will earn miles. For most oneworld partners, a flight has to be operated by a oneworld carrier. JL does not appear to have that restriction (emphasis added):

I know that Qantas has similar language and there is no requirement that a QF-marketed flight be operated by a oneworld carrier. If SEA-ABQ is marketed as an AA flight (unlikely), it will earn EQMs according to the AA chart and EQDs as a fraction of the total fare paid (which is difficult or impossible to parse in advance).

Anyway, what matters is the marketing carrier for each of your flights. That could be any of JL, AS, and AA for the flights you listed.
Thanks for the explanation. I was looking at Chase travels and the leg from SIN-SEA-ABQ states that it’s operated by Alaska. So...I’d wouldn’t earn anything. Thanks to you, I’ll be booking via a different method. Thanks!!!
Old Apr 11, 2019, 12:10 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by koovoodoo
Thanks for the explanation. I was looking at Chase travels and the leg from SIN-SEA-ABQ states that it’s operated by Alaska. So...I’d wouldn’t earn anything. Thanks to you, I’ll be booking via a different method. Thanks!!!
Sounds like you misunderstood my explanation. Operating carrier is irrelevant on this itinerary. It is marketing carrier that matters. And SIN-SEA is most definitely neither marketed nor operated by Alaska; they neither operate nor put their code on those flights.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by ashill

Sounds like you misunderstood my explanation. Operating carrier is irrelevant on this itinerary. It is marketing carrier that matters. And SIN-SEA is most definitely neither marketed nor operated by Alaska; they neither operate nor put their code on those flights.
Ok ok. Thanks for the clarification. I guess it’ll ultimately be ok to book the SIN-NRT-SEA then alaska route back to ABQ. Because I think it’s marketed as JAL. Thanks
Old Apr 19, 2019, 1:11 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Marketed by = “codeshare” ticket, boarding pass usually shows the marketed flight and sometimes the operated flight. E.g. “SQ1234 sold as JL7890”

Generally, all AA marketed flights earn as if you were flying AA.

oneworld marketed flights must be operated by oneworld airlines, except for all AA marketed flights, most JL (if not all) and QF.

Operated by = the airline actually operating the flight; you generally check in with the operating airline

AA operated by anyone - earn as AA

CX operated by non-oneworld airline = bupkis

JL operated by SQ = earn per the JL partner page on aa.com

Rules for earning on AS flights operated by AS: link

etc.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 11:11 am

How long should I wait?

Recently flew CDG-CLT AY coded flight on AA metal. I know EQD will be calculated by distance. It's been over 3 days and it's not listed in my activity yet. Could an expert shed some insight? I flew CZ and the flight was listed within 2 days.

I am trying to complete the Platinum promotion challenge.

Thank you in advance.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 11:40 am

Programs: AA Explat, UA former 1K + PremExec, DL
Originally Posted by cyberUAL
Recently flew CDG-CLT AY coded flight on AA metal. I know EQD will be calculated by distance. It's been over 3 days and it's not listed in my activity yet. Could an expert shed some insight? I flew CZ and the flight was listed within 2 days.

I am trying to complete the Platinum promotion challenge.

Thank you in advance.
Definitely have had it take 3 days, never more than 5 for partner EQM/EQD. IB ticketed AA metal. Or AA ticketed BA metal.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 11:18 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat
J Flights from Google Flights Showing not eligible

Been trying to figure out a complex itinerary via Google Flights and found what seems like my best bet but when I click to purchase through AA i get the message:

"Heads up! Some fares purchased on AAdvantage participating airlines are not eligible for mileage accrual. View eligible booking codes and mileage accrual rates by airline on the AAdvantage Airline Partner page"

Here is an example of the booking in J from Google flights:

Been racking my brain to know if there are fare classes in J on AY that wouldn't qualify (as Google flights won't show me the fare basis) or if the codeshares are screwing AA all up. Additionally I will note - I cannot book this itinerary straight through AA, only can find it via Google Flights. See the specifics on what AA is coming up with for flight numbers below:

Anything here that would not allow this to earn 2 EQM/mile?

Last edited by stompey5; Aug 12, 2019 at 11:19 am Reason: added final statement
Old Aug 13, 2019, 2:33 am

Programs: AAdvantage Plat+, FoundersCard, Amex Plat, TR Diamond, Marriott Gold, Wyndham Dia, HH Gold, Hertz 5*
Do I earn any EQDs for a Cape Air segment part of AAitinerary?

If I buy a Business class R/T ticket SEA->SJU->SEA for $1522, AA.com tells me I will earn 15296 EQMs and 1458 EQDs. That is just enough EQMs to meet the challenge requirements for Platinum status but 42 EQDs short of the challenge req's. If I make the ticket open-jaw so it's SEA-MIA-SJU-CPX / SJU-MIA-SEA (adding a 31-minute Economy Cape Air segment SJU-CPX), it increases the price to $1591, but now AA.com does not report how many EQMs or EQDs will be earned. Will I earn at least 42 additional EQDs for this higher priced ticket (that will count toward a status challenge)?
Old Aug 13, 2019, 3:33 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

BA Citiflyer operated, BA number - not eligible

Hi all,

I was trying to retro claim a flight I had recently between London City to Ibiza. The flight was a BA number, operated by BA Citiflyer. However AAdvantage customer service has informed me that the flight is not eligible because it is a BA flight number between 8150-8950 which is not eligible (which is where my flight number falls in).
However I am not finding this information anywhere on the AA Earn rates for their partners.
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...sh-airways.jsp

Is this something new? Can someone point me to a page where I can challenge back Customer Service on this?

Cheers!
Old Aug 14, 2019, 12:43 pm
hmv

How does it work with the online upgrade offer from BA?

I am offered an upgrade from my O-class Economy fare LHR-HKG to Premium Economy and I am wondering if it also adjusts the EQM/EQD earnings on AAdvantage, because their terms & conditions are quite unclear on this topic.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 12:24 am
hmv

Originally Posted by hmv
How does it work with the online upgrade offer from BA?

I am offered an upgrade from my O-class Economy fare LHR-HKG to Premium Economy and I am wondering if it also adjusts the EQM/EQD earnings on AAdvantage, because their terms & conditions are quite unclear on this topic.
Interestingly enough, my fare class was changed to P as a result of this paid upgrade. Anyone with experience on how AA will process this in their system?

I am now becoming a bit afraid that AA will see it as a non-revenue fare.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 5:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by nldogbert
Hi all,

I was trying to retro claim a flight I had recently between London City to Ibiza. The flight was a BA number, operated by BA Citiflyer. However AAdvantage customer service has informed me that the flight is not eligible because it is a BA flight number between 8150-8950 which is not eligible (which is where my flight number falls in).
However I am not finding this information anywhere on the AA Earn rates for their partners.
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...sh-airways.jsp

Is this something new? Can someone point me to a page where I can challenge back Customer Service on this?

Cheers!
You're not missing anything, on the BA earning page there are no "Exceptions" listed so all flights should be eligible for mileage accrual. For example, look on the LATAM earning page, you'll see a very clear "Exceptions" heading where it lists flights to/from Cuba as ineligible. Additionally on the BA page BA Citiflyer is clearly listed as an eligible affiliate.

I would just reply back to the email you received from AACS. Tell them (nicely) that their conclusion is incorrect, per the BA earning page there are no exceptions including those flight numbers (include a link to the BA page), and ask them again to correctly credit your account for the flight per the terms at aa.com.

If they still reply with nonsense about it being ineligible, just reply back with basically the same email again, ask the agent to escalate if necessary, etc.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by fanger
Definitely have had it take 3 days, never more than 5 for partner EQM/EQD. IB ticketed AA metal. Or AA ticketed BA metal.
So it's been 2 weeks and nothing. I filled the missing mileage request form and AA is asking me from proof of flight taken. I'm just curious shouldn't they be able to see it in their system since it's an AA operated flight?
Old Aug 20, 2019, 6:22 pm

Programs: AA Explat, UA former 1K + PremExec, DL
Originally Posted by cyberUAL
So it's been 2 weeks and nothing. I filled the missing mileage request form and AA is asking me from proof of flight taken. I'm just curious shouldn't they be able to see it in their system since it's an AA operated flight?
You would think that they would be able to tell... I usually keep the paper pass for a bit, if I haven't used mobile. I haven't had this problem recently myself.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 8:39 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
You're not missing anything, on the BA earning page there are no "Exceptions" listed so all flights should be eligible for mileage accrual. For example, look on the LATAM earning page, you'll see a very clear "Exceptions" heading where it lists flights to/from Cuba as ineligible. Additionally on the BA page BA Citiflyer is clearly listed as an eligible affiliate.
Finally called them again and this time requested them to point me to it on the webpage (after I studied it myself in details incld the T&C) and this agent was at surprisingly helpful and she too agreed that it should be eligible. After being put on hold for >5 mins in order for her to discuss with a supervisor, I was told that indeed it was eligible and she said most probably the previous agents misread it and thought I wanted to credit an award flight (which of course is not eligible for any partners - so I have no idea what brings her to even inform me about it when it is clearly a paid ticket) - although it says BA Citiflyer is NOT eligible for Award Travel. Anyways....

Cheers!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.