Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Non-Elite Check-In Upgrade Over Plat 500-Milers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Non-Elite Check-In Upgrade Over Plat 500-Milers

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2016, 8:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Of course I'm not. My information is from the highest level at AA.
More to the point, you made a definitive statement that contradicts AA employee statements. AA is nothing if not inconsistent, but I am sure you can see my reluctance to put trust in either party.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 8:17 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by oneant
More to the point, you made a definitive statement that contradicts AA employee statements. AA is nothing if not inconsistent, but I am sure you can see my reluctance to put trust in either party.
In matters of company policy, I'd take JonNYC's word over a front line employee's any day of the week and twice on Sunday
Old Jul 25, 2016, 8:23 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by rjw242
In matters of company policy, I'd take JonNYC's word over a front line employee's any day of the week and twice on Sunday
Not to mention ThreeJulietTango's always excellent info!
Old Jul 25, 2016, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rjw242
Fair enough...and you may be backing the more trustworthy party.

However, given my experience and the inconsistencies, I e-mailed AA Cust Relations with the facts-only to see what they have to say. I will post their reply when I receive it to bring this one full circle. Stay tuned.......
Old Jul 25, 2016, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by JonNYC
Not to mention ThreeJulietTango's always excellent info!
Absolutely.

It's mind-boggling how often phone and ticket agents, GAs, etc. make up rules out of thin air. Hearing something from multiple employees (especially something that "sounds right") is by no means a guarantee that it's true.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 9:10 am
Suspended

Thumbs up

Fair enough...and you may be backing the more trustworthy party.

However, given my experience and the inconsistencies, I e-mailed AA Cust Relations with the facts-only to see what they have to say. I will post their reply when I receive it to bring this one full circle. Stay tuned.......
Great idea, would be interested to see their language on the subject (after, of course, a quick follow-up on your part to the pro-forma, par-for-the-course, mind-numbing, loyalty-shaking, initial nonsense response!)
Old Jul 25, 2016, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ThreeJulietTango
AA does not intentionally sell upgrades out from under its elites like UA does. As others have mentioned, they do not offer day-of-departure upgrades unless there are enough seats remaining in the premium cabin to accommodate all elites standing by, plus a certain amount of seats set aside for last-minute walkups and/or IROPS. AA does not offer DODUs to elites on sticker-upgradable flights because the stickers are cheaper. Stickers currently cost $40 per 500 miles of travel and DODUs are currently pricing at an average of $45-$50 per 500 miles of travel.

However, there are occasions where the cabin may fill up unexpectedly and leave elites behind.

Part of the reason for not having elite upgrades clear before DODUs are sold may be related to the upgrades coming out of different inventories: X and R for sticker upgrades and A and C for DODUs. The latter inventories are usually more likely to have availability.
I'm a little confused -- are you suggesting that DODUs/LFBUs come out of whatever A/C inventory is published in the system? Because that, IME, almost never seems to comport with your previous statements about having enough set aside for elites awaiting sticker upgrades. I'd be quite surprised if general availability of A inventory factored in elites waiting for sticker upgrades.

Now, if the DODUs are offered as a subset of A/C that makes more sense, but I'm not sure why that would necessarily lead one to conclude that's a reason why they clear before elite upgrades.

Of course, another reason could be practicality -- they just can't process all the DODU's at the very last minute, since that's usually when they seem to clear the last bunch of elite upgrades. So they have to offer some starting as early as 24 hours.

Either the OP's situation was one of those "one-offs" where the cabin unexpectedly filled before they opened the X inventory they thought they were going to have, or AA's math is off. And whether the "one-off" is really a "ten-off" or "hundred-off" will be difficult to ascertain. Data, anecdote, yada, yada, but it was somewhat less-than-common circumstances that allowed OP to identify the problem in the first place.

Also curious to see AA's (eventual) response. Frankly, if they're not intending to sell DODU's out from under elites, and they inadvertently end up doing so, it would seem fair to offer those elites confirmed upgrades on a future flight. "Sorry, our algorithms screwed up so let us make it up to you." Maybe 15k miles and a $75 voucher is the best way, unless they have certificates that could clear into A/C (obviously not a SWU since we're talking about domestic, at least for now!).
Old Jul 25, 2016, 11:25 am

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by ijgordon

Also curious to see AA's (eventual) response. Frankly, if they're not intending to sell DODU's out from under elites, and they inadvertently end up doing so, it would seem fair to offer those elites confirmed upgrades on a future flight. "Sorry, our algorithms screwed up so let us make it up to you." Maybe 15k miles and a $75 voucher is the best way, unless they have certificates that could clear into A/C (obviously not a SWU since we're talking about domestic, at least for now!).
That would be fair which is why it will NEVER happen...
Old Jul 25, 2016, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LINDEGR
That would be fair which is why it will NEVER happen...
Agreed. Sigh. Heaven forbid an airline put their money where their mouth is!
Old Jul 25, 2016, 12:45 pm

This discussion of LFBUs is fascinating. Back in the old days as a nobody I used to get them once in a while. Now I can't even clear with stickers, maybe 1 for 15 this year. I haven't seen an empty F seat in years. The idea that there might be F seats left after all elites have cleared on any route, ever, defies my imagination!
Old Jul 25, 2016, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
Originally Posted by arlflyer
This discussion of LFBUs is fascinating. Back in the old days as a nobody I used to get them once in a while. Now I can't even clear with stickers, maybe 1 for 15 this year. I haven't seen an empty F seat in years. The idea that there might be F seats left after all elites have cleared on any route, ever, defies my imagination!
It happens. There were empty seats in F on MIA-BWI last night, and the one person on the list did clear. You must be flying routes like the DCA-MIA I was on two weeks ago. Of the six people sitting in 14A-C and 15A-C, I was the only non-EXP. I base this on them all getting free booze and snacks, while the lowly PLT had to make do with a Coke and pretzels.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 12:59 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Third, the agent said I could pay the $200+ fare difference to 1st but I declined that option.
Seems like you got a bad agent overall. Upfaring shouldn't result in a change fee.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

AA Customer Relations E-Mail

Below is what I sent AA today, personal info removed. 1500 characters seems like a lot.......at first . Had to pare down and omit some irrelevant details (like the offer to pay fare difference when 1 seat opened during my 20 July afternoon call, etc.)

20 July 2016
DFW-DEN
AA 361
Locator for ME:
XXXXXX
Locator for WIFE, SON1, SON2:
YYYYYY

Ticketed 9 May 2016: YYYYYY. Split my res out to request 500-miler upgrade under XXXXXX

19 July 2016 @ 2201, checked in XXXXXX on AA.com. Upgd could not be confirmed so added to airport list

@ 2204 checked in YYYYYY. Offered 3 LFBUs for $90/each. Accepted & reserved seats

@ 2208 called PlatDesk about my upgd. Agent said plenty seats & not to worry. Asked why LFBUs offered before my upgd accommodated; he noted that LFBUs were $90/each and mine was free

20 July 2016 @ 0747 called PlatDesk again; upgd still not cleared. Agent said still plenty seats & to be patient. Again, agent noted that AA valued the revenue over my complimentary upgrades

@ 1626 called PlatDesk again. First class now sold out. Asked to downgrade 6yr old son in 3D, but no 2 seats together

At DFW TermA AC agent said first checked-in full

1: Why were LFBUs offered when my upgd was not accommodated? AA.com: "Paid LFB Upgrades are only offered when premium class seats are available based on the number of passengers confirmed in the premium class and accommodation of any previously submitted upgrade requests"

2: Why was I not offered same LFBU option?

3: Is agent correct: AA now prioritizing paid LFBUs over elite 500-mile upgrades?

Being Plat was actually a distinct dis-AAdvantage in this case. Look forward to your explanation, answers, and clarification of AA's upgd policies.
Pending reply. Expect sometime next week.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by coolcoil
It happens. There were empty seats in F on MIA-BWI last night, and the one person on the list did clear. You must be flying routes like the DCA-MIA I was on two weeks ago. Of the six people sitting in 14A-C and 15A-C, I was the only non-EXP. I base this on them all getting free booze and snacks, while the lowly PLT had to make do with a Coke and pretzels.
Yeah, being DCA-based has become a real curse when it comes to upgrades. Nothing with more than 16 seats up front, and the 319s going down to 8 as they finish up the retrofits of the LUS metal. Plus a gazillion elites. That said, I haven't historically had too much better luck out of BWI - the demand is lower but so is the capacity.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 2:32 pm

Are Elites who have NOT requested a sticker/500mile upgraded for a flight offered a LFBU upgrade at check in? Wonder if someone in the same scenario as OP could have removed the sticker upgrade request and asked for LFBU option.

Just wondering how to move forward for upgrade requests. Is it better to not even ask for the sticker upgrades and roll the dice at check in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.