Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Non-Elite Check-In Upgrade Over Plat 500-Milers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Non-Elite Check-In Upgrade Over Plat 500-Milers

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2016, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Mark_T
Most accurate title for this thread would seem to be 'System working as intended'.
How about "System working as designed", as that does not imply there are unintended consequences.

AA Plat pays $80 for two 500-mile upgrades and is still on the list after check-in. Non-elite gets guaranteed upgrades for $90 @ online check-in and able to choose seats. Both should be considered revenue. Difference is $10.

In this particular case, being Plat provides zero benefit, and in fact is a hindrance. Well, not zero benefit: I saved $10........which I would have gladly paid to secure a seat next to one of my sons later tonight.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JonNYC
RM doesn't stress about the precise timing of an upgrade clearing,
Well, I don't think they need to stress, but the outcome is that the elite gets the last choice of seats. Surely most would think that's an elite-unfriendly strategy.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 1:47 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by FlytheTail
So does this imply that the cash upgrades are limited to # of F seats left minus the number of elites on the waitlist? So here, 6 F seats were available, 3 upgrades were purchased, 1 is on the upgrade waitlist, so only 2 more F seats would be available for cash upgrades?
I'm thinking that, no, they wouldn't in fact sell those other 2 at upgrade prices, would leave some "slack" for purchase, reaccom, etc.

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Well, I don't think they need to stress, but the outcome is that the elite gets the last choice of seats. Surely most would think that's an elite-unfriendly strategy.
People do have entitlement and opinions, yes, agreed.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 1:50 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by rjw242
2 at most, quite possibly zero. They'd probably want to leave a small buffer in case of IRROPS or if any F passengers want to standby.
oops, didn't see this, yes, for sure.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 3:10 pm

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
Most accurate title for this thread would seem to be 'System working as intended'.
Maybe working as intended, but not as promised. From the AA website:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/fragments/me.../LFBUTerms.jsp

Paid LFB Upgrade Terms and Conditions

- Paid LFB Upgrades are only available on flights operated and marketed by American Airlines and American Eagle
- Paid LFB Upgrades are only offered when premium class seats are available based on the number of passengers confirmed in the premium class and accommodation of any previously submitted upgrade requests.
- Paid LFB Upgrades will be offered to eligible passengers during check-in, which is 24 hours prior to departure through the check-in window. Eligibility shall be determined based on, but not limited to, the following factors: AAdvantage or oneworld elite status membership, purchased fare class, existing upgrade requests, ticketing status, and purchase history.

Bolding is mine. There are a bunch of other items in the TOC, but not relevant to this discussion.

I suspect that AA bean counters do not see this a difference between $80 and $90, but between $0 and $90. Somebody with inside knowledge may correct me, but I am almost certain that they book the revenue when you buy stickers immediately. Since they have not not promised anything that will cost them money, unlike miles, they don't carry them on the books as a liability. Therefore, as far as the bean counters are concerned, you using stickers, whether purchased or not, is of zero value to the airline.

Certainly AA can do whatever they want, but it certainly leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I do buy stickers, and knowing that AA works this way certainly makes me less inclined to buy them and makes having status yet a little less attractive.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 3:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I have seen nothing so far in this thread that contradicts the LFB T&C.

AA are not required to accommodate all upgrades on the list before selling to others, merely that they retain enough to do that.

This is not something new, it has been like this since they started selling LFBU.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 3:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by oneant

AA Plat pays $80 for two 500-mile upgrades and is still on the list after check-in. Non-elite gets guaranteed upgrades for $90 @ online check-in and able to choose seats. Both should be considered revenue. Difference is $10.
It doesn't read that the passenger paid $80 for the 2x500 mile upgrades- just that , if the passenger was to purchase them, that they would cost $80. It suggests that the passenger was going to use those earned for no cost.

Non status passenger received upgrade at check in time for $90 , the one with status should get it for free at some point before departure. Difference would be $90
Old Jul 20, 2016, 3:33 pm

I have seen nothing so far in this thread that contradicts the LFB T&C.

AA are not required to accommodate all upgrades on the list before selling to others, merely that they retain enough to do that.

This is not something new, it has been like this since they started selling LFBU.
So you think that even if somebody wants to buy the remaining seats or F passengers need to be reaccomodated for IRROPS, the system will prioritize the sticker holder? I have no proof to the contrary, but I have trouble believing that.

If the system is 100% confident that the sticker holder will be upgraded, then why doesn't it go ahead and upgrade them? I can agree that the system may base the LFBU offer on the likelihood that the sticker holder will be upgraded, but if AA can get pocket change or better for those remaining seats, they will.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
On with Plat Desk. 1st is now sold out and I am still in 9D. The flight itself is not sold out, but only middle seats remain in coach. They can downgrade my 6 yr old, who is in 3D next to a stranger in 3F, but we will have to do the great seat shuffle at the gate or, worse still, once on board to try to sit together.

This has been a HUGE lesson learned for me. Here I thought getting the opportunity to pull the rest of the family up on LFBUs would be a happy thing. Now it has become one of the most frustrating episodes I have had with AA to date. At this point I couldn't care less about actually sitting in 1st class; there is no meal service, I don't drink, and it is a short hop.............it's just the principle of a Plat not getting a requested upgrade when LFBUs were offered 24hrs out for non-elites. AA put a tiny revenue over customer service, which is just bad form, IMO.

Nothing else to do now, so this topic is over for me.

Last edited by oneant; Jul 20, 2016 at 4:08 pm
Old Jul 20, 2016, 3:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by coolcoil
If the system is 100% confident that the sticker holder will be upgraded, then why doesn't it go ahead and upgrade them? I can agree that the system may base the LFBU offer on the likelihood that the sticker holder will be upgraded, but if AA can get pocket change or better for those remaining seats, they will.
As pointed out by JonNYC, it's likely inaccurate to refer to this as "the system." It sounds more like two systems that don't talk to each other, so a change in one has an unintended (though perhaps momentarily revenue-generating) consequence in the other. Having dealt with a number of large, bureaucratic organizations, this seems perfectly plausible.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 4:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Three open seats can go very quickly, particularly if one is waiting for an upgrade as a PLT. Either way I get the feeling that all of the big 3 are going to monetize the F cabin even more leaving complimentary upgraders at the back of the line.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 5:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by coolcoil
Maybe working as intended, but not as promised. From the AA website:

- Paid LFB Upgrades are only offered when premium class seats are available based on the number of passengers confirmed in the premium class and accommodation of any previously submitted upgrade requests....
You're reading it wrong.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 5:33 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
There might be a problem here. If you, the Plat, do not upgraded at the gate, but LFBU was offered, there might be something more to talk about here.

My impression was that LFBU is not offered unless existing elite requests can be accommodated (even if not done before the LFBU is offered, but done by boarding..). Now, there is the 'freak' situation that it was AA's intention, but they needed the F seats for IRROPS or other situation. Again, unless you are not upgraded at the gate (no matter how 'full' F appears), there is nothing to see here -- working as planned.

You see, it is very hard to test a LFBU versus an elite (stickers) upgrade because it requires so many pieces to compare.

Anyway, if you are not upgraded and three LFBUs were sold, I think that does warrant an email to AA. I would quote the LFBU page to indicate that there should not have been LFBU offered since you were not upgraded with your stickers.

If this becomes more common and we are going down the DL/UA route, it is another sad situation mostly because it has not been announced. You were not supposed to be concerned if you took the LFBUs about your elite upgrade even if it clears at a different time.

Rasheed
Old Jul 20, 2016, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC
You're reading it wrong.
I need some help here. How would you interpret this text other than LFBU's will not be offered before people who submitted upgrade instruments prior to that time have been upgraded. (or at least are guaranteed to receive the upgrade)?
Old Jul 20, 2016, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by rasheed

Anyway, if you are not upgraded and three LFBUs were sold, I think that does warrant an email to AA. I would quote the LFBU page to indicate that there should not have been LFBU offered since you were not upgraded with your stickers.
To which AA will respond along the lines of "sticker upgrades are subject to availability and capacity-controlled" and don't take much time to think about the situation. That's new pAArker for you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.