Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

GUIDE: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA & partner airlines (as of 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 8, 2016, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Earning Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQD) on AA and partner airlines
Minimum Spend" requirement for each status tier began 1 Jan 2017

In addition to the required EQM or EQS (same as 2016) to earn status in 2017 and onward one must also earn "Elite Qualifying Dollars" / "EQD" spend credit as follows (during the calendar year):

"Starting January 1, 2017, we’ll add Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs) to our earning requirements. Qualify in 1 of 2 ways:
  • Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs) + Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs)
  • Elite Qualifying Segments (EQSs) + Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs)

EQDs will be awarded based on:
  • Ticket price (base fare plus carrier-imposed fees, excluding any government-imposed taxes and fees) on American-marketed flights
  • Flights marketed by oneworld® carriers, "Special Fares" such as some AA Vacations flights, Thank You Points purchased fares, etc. earn EQDs based on a percentage of the flight distance and the fare class purchased

With the addition of EQDs, the rule that 4 segments must be traveled on American or American Eagle during the qualifying year to receive elite status has been eliminated.
NOTE: EQD credit varies for "Special Fares" (e.g. "select flights" included in AAVacations packages), and the chart for those changed on 11 Jan 2017. See here.

2019 Status qualification tiers and requirements: link
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]

aa.com: aa.com is updated to show EQM, EQD and RDM/AW for your convenience when booking and in your account for keeping informed about your accruals.

Another impact of EQD is on upgrade priority within status tiers instead of time of upgrade request (FYI only, not discussion here):

Change to upgrade priority to EQD-based priority

The way your upgrade request is prioritized changed in 2017. You’ll be listed according to the type of upgrade, by your elite status level followed by the number of EQDs earned in the last 12 months. The date of upgrade request will no longer be used except to break ties not resolved by higher priority levels. Applies both upgrade request and airport list if request goes to airport list.

Partners (AS and oneworld): accrual of EQM and EQD as reflected on charts on aa.com.

FAQ

Q. How will AA EQD be calculated?

Yes: Base fare plus carrier imposed fees, e.g. YQ etc. (Status buyup fees will count.)

No: Taxes, government or airport imposed fees, e.g. PSC, APD, TSA, etc. and ancillary fees (see below)

Q. How will flights on other oneworld carriers, AS, and "Special Fares" qualify for EQD?

Partner earning tables are here and special fare table here on aa.com.

Q. Will checked bag fees, seat purchases, LFBU and 500-mile upgrades, buy miles, or other products/service fees count toward earning award miles and EQDs? (AA FAQ)

No, only the base fare paid for your ticket including any carrier-imposed fees will count toward earning award miles and EQDs. Fees for other products or services will not be awarded miles or EQDs, including but not limited to the following: checked (or overweight) baggage fees, Admirals Club® memberships (or passes), Wi-Fi passes, in-flight food and beverage purchases, in-flight entertainment, unaccompanied minor fees, pet travel fees, 500-mile upgrades, mileage upgrade cash co-payments, Mileage Multiplier, BuyMiles, GiftMiles, ShareMiles or other mileage purchases, ticket change fees, ticketing fees, same-day confirmed flight change or standby fees and service charges. (Status buyup fees will count, however.)

Resources:

GLOSSARY:

EQD: Elite Qualifying Dollars (base fare + carrier imposed fees, - government imposed taxes and fees

EQM: Elite Qualifying Miles (accrual depends on fare basis, airline and base miles flown)

EQS: Elite Qualifying Segments (discrete segment marketed as AA)

Platinum Pro: new tier beginning 1/1/17 requiring $9,000 EQD and 75,000 EQM or 90 EQS in one calendar year

Links

Link to FT: JUST THE FACTS: EQD, status tier, other changes announced 6 Jun 2016

Link to AAdvantage Program Updates page on aa.com (including FAQ).

Link to Gary Leff's "View from the Wing" blog article on these changes.

Link to Ben "Lucky" Schlappig's take in "One Mile at a Time" on View From the Boarding Area
Print Wikipost

GUIDE: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA & partner airlines (as of 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2017, 8:35 am

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite
Question - If I fly a route that is under 500 miles as AA Platinum, but fly on a first class fare with 2X EQM, do I earn a minimum of 1000 EQM since elites get the 500 mile rounding up? Or do I just earn 2X EQM.

Which would be correct:
A) 300 miles in first = 600 EQM
B) 300 miles in first = 1000 EQM
Old Nov 29, 2017, 11:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Sheep
Question - If I fly a route that is under 500 miles as AA Platinum, but fly on a first class fare with 2X EQM, do I earn a minimum of 1000 EQM since elites get the 500 mile rounding up? Or do I just earn 2X EQM.

Which would be correct:
A) 300 miles in first = 600 EQM
B) 300 miles in first = 1000 EQM
(b) 1000 will be earned if it is a 1st class fare that earns at the rate of 2x

From https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...p#mileagebonus

Originally Posted by AA
AAdvantage® members have a base of 500 EQMs for flights under 500 miles on American, oneworld® airlines and Alaska Airlines. To calculate final EQMs earned, the multiplier for airline and booking code flown is applied to this base.
Sheep likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 12:00 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
(b) 1000 will be earned if it is a 1st class fare that earns at the rate of 2x

From https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...p#mileagebonus
Thank you!
Old Nov 30, 2017, 9:09 am

Ok, I am 1000 EQD short for Platinum. I'm currently in NY and willing to do as needed to get those remaining EQD, but preferably for less than a ~$1300 flight will cost me. Over the next two weekends I'd be willing to do a flight run to support this. Open to any suggestions, thanks!
Old Nov 30, 2017, 9:22 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by wile e
Ok, I am 1000 EQD short for Platinum. I'm currently in NY and willing to do as needed to get those remaining EQD, but preferably for less than a ~$1300 flight will cost me. Over the next two weekends I'd be willing to do a flight run to support this. Open to any suggestions, thanks!
Use Google Flights to find optimal flights from NYC to ?
Old Nov 30, 2017, 12:39 pm

Check this thread for some MR options.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by melrowgo
Check this thread for some MR options.
Excellent, thanks!
Old Dec 9, 2017, 12:50 am

I was rebooked from JL to NH. Do I still get the EQDs?

Hello

I was flying ORD-NRT-PEK-NRT-ORD
4 legs, AA, JL, JL, AA

There was an delay in the return JL flight and AA switched me to NH.

Will I still get EQDs for that portion of the trip?
Old Dec 9, 2017, 9:08 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by micgolub
Hello

I was flying ORD-NRT-PEK-NRT-ORD
4 legs, AA, JL, JL, AA

There was an delay in the return JL flight and AA switched me to NH.

Will I still get EQDs for that portion of the trip?
You might have to contact AA and explain the situation. I don't think that the miles/EQD will post automatically. On the positive side you can credit the miles for your NH flight (which was probably purchased on full Y fare) to a Star Alliance FFP.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by ngls
You might have to contact AA and explain the situation. I don't think that the miles/EQD will post automatically. On the positive side you can credit the miles for your NH flight (which was probably purchased on full Y fare) to a Star Alliance FFP.
The operative term is probably "original routing credit," right?
Old Dec 10, 2017, 4:23 pm

Does change fee could towards EQD?

Going to guess no but worth a shot?
Old Dec 10, 2017, 4:27 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DCAAA
No.
JDiver likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 4:32 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by DCAAA
Please read the Wikipost atbthe top of the page. We have merged your query into the existing thread. This prevents information fragmentation and allows easier search.

/Moderator
Old Dec 12, 2017, 7:53 am

Programs: Alaska mvp G, AA Exec Plat, Marriott/SPG platinum, United Silver, Delta Silver, Hilton Diamond
help

Hey guys .. I am $573 EQD short of platinum for next year... is there ever any way to get more EQD or is it only the amount you spent... I was reading some site about your status or booking code could increase your EQD.. special rates?? Any help would be great ! thanks
Old Dec 12, 2017, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by zerodegre
Hey guys .. I am $573 EQD short of platinum for next year... is there ever any way to get more EQD or is it only the amount you spent... I was reading some site about your status or booking code could increase your EQD.. special rates?? Any help would be great ! thanks
If you fly on one of several partners, you will earn EQD as a percentage of flown miles rather than dollars spent. Click on the various partners shown in the first group at this site for their earning charts. (Make sure to look at the most recent dates listed.)
aztimm likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.