Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

REACTION, DISCUSSION: EQD, status tier, upgrade changes as of 6 Jun 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: The AAdvantage changes announced 6 Jun 2016 will
incentivize me to fly AA more, as I benefit overall
3.55%
cause me to buy premium over discount AA fares
3.42%
not impact my travel on AA in the balance
16.82%
make me choose AA or a competitor, depending on itinerary
23.78%
make me become an independent agent
29.04%
cause me to join another airline's FF program
23.39%
Voters: 761. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jun 6, 2016, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AAdvantage Changes Announced 6 Jun 2016 - REACTION, DISCUSSION

This thread is dedicated to "REACTION, DISCUSSION" of the changes announced June 6, 2016.

For "JUST THE FACTS", please use JUST THE FACTS: EQD, status tier, upgrade changes as of 6 Jun 2016

Link to AAdvantage Program Updates page on aa.com.

Link to Gary Leff's "View from the Wing" blog article on these changes.

Link to Ben "Lucky" Schlappig's take in "One Mile at a Time" on View From the Boarding Area

Summary of changes:

aa.com: Unknown but intended: aa.com updated to show EQM, EQD and RDM/AW for your convenience when booking and in your account for keeping informed about your accruals.
Aug 2016:

Change to earning Award / Redeemable Miles to revenue based begins (see FT thread)

Bonus award miles "More Miles" for premium cabin discontinued

For travel beginning August 1, 2016

Earn award miles based on your ticket price and elite status on American-marketed flights.

You earn miles on the base fare plus carrier-imposed fees minus government-imposed taxes and fees. The more you spend (and the higher your elite status level) the more you’ll earn.
  • AAdvantage® member – 5 miles for every U.S. dollar
  • Gold member – 7 miles for every U.S. dollar (40% bonus)
  • Platinum member – 8 miles for every U.S. dollar (60% bonus)
  • Platinum Pro - 9 miles for every U.S. dollar
  • Executive Platinum member – 11 miles for every U.S. dollar (120% bonus)
On most flights marketed by partner airlines, you'll earn award miles based on a percentage of the flight distance and the fare class of your ticket. Rates will be available by July 15.

NOTE: this also pertains to "special fares", such as those purchased through AA Vacations. (not AA language)

1 Jan 2017:

Status earning to have EQM/EQS criteria AND "EQD" revenue spend requirement

In addition to the (same as 2016) required EQM or EQS, to earn status one will have to also earn "Elite Qualifying Dollars" / "EQD" spend credit as follows (during the calendar year):

"EQDs will be awarded based on:

Ticket price (base fare plus carrier-imposed fees, excluding any government-imposed taxes and fees) on American-marketed flights

EQD calculations will not include change fees and similar (premium seats, baggage, etc.) charges.

Q. Do checked bag fees, seat purchases, 500-mile upgrades or other products/service fees count toward earning award miles and EQDs?

No, only the base fare paid for your ticket including any carrier-imposed fees will count toward earning award miles and EQDs. Fees for other products or services will not be awarded miles or EQDs, including but not limited to the following: checked baggage fees, Admirals Club® memberships, Wi-Fi passes, in-flight food and beverage purchases, in-flight entertainment, unaccompanied minor fees, pet travel fees, 500-mile upgrades, mileage upgrade cash co-payments, Mileage Multiplier, BuyMiles, GiftMiles, ShareMiles or other mileage purchases, ticket change fees, ticketing fees, same-day confirmed flight change or standby fees and service charges. (Thanks to ty97.)
Flights marketed by oneworld® carriers and Alaska Airlines will earn EQDs based on a percentage of the flight distance and the fare class purchased (as may "special fares" - not AA language)

NOTE: EQD offset may be earned by spend on Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Red and Silver cards (added language not from AA)

With the addition of EQDs, we’ll remove the rule that 4 segments must be traveled on American or American Eagle during the qualifying year to receive elite status."
New EQD requirement
  • Gold - $3,000
  • Platinum - $6,000
  • Platinum Pro - $9,000 (beginning 1/1/17)
  • Executive Platinum - $12,000
Elimination of four AA marketed EQS requirement

NOTE: Concierge Key is treated as a higher status tier than Executive Platinum for upgrade Priority, but is not otherwise an AAdvantage status tier.

Change from three status tiers to four - new 75K "Platinum Pro" added

"In 2017 you can start earning toward a new level, Platinum Pro, with benefits like:
  • Complimentary upgrades on flights in 500-mile upgrade markets
  • Earn 9 award miles/U.S. dollar (80% bonus)
  • 2 free checked bags
  • oneworld® Sapphire status
  • 72 hour upgrade window
NOTE: Platinum upgrade window goes from 72 to 48 hours; Concierge Key upgrade window is 120 hours.

February 2017

Introduction of highly restricted AA Basic Economy fares. FT link.

These will accrue 0.5 EQM, 0.5 EQS, will not permit rollaboard size / overhead baggage (only one personal item) unless you have status, no upgrades permitted, etc.

"Late" 2017:

Change to upgrade priority to EQD-based priority

"The way your upgrade request is prioritized will change later in 2017. You’ll be listed according to your elite status level followed by the number of EQDs earned in the last 12 months."
EP, and within EP by EQD spend in last 12 month period; PlatPro, ditto, and on to Platinum, Gold. For both upgrade request and airport list if request goes to airport list.

Executive Platinums able to upgrade MC / coach award flight (On flights 500 mile upgrades are usable, courtesy upgrades; priority within EP by last 12 month EQD spend).

"Starting later in 2017, Executive Platinum members can use their complimentary 500-mile upgrade benefits on AAdvantage® award tickets for travel on American from Main Cabin to the next class."

Peripheral issues:

AA Vacations: AA Vacations packages (like partner airline tickets) will earn EQD, EQM, and RDM/AW based on the distance flown as determined by the fare class purchased. This is in accordance with the "Special Fares" section of the new EQD earnings pages, and confirmed here

EQD requirements will apply to non-US residents as well as US as currently exists

EQD requirements can be partially offset by spend on Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Red or Silver cards.

Partners (AS and oneworld): accrual of EQM as reflected on charts on aa.com; EQD credit to be announced (15 Jul 2016)

Status: AA has no current plans to add "Lifetime Platinum Pro" status.

Resources:

GLOSSARY:

EQD: Elite Qualifying Dollars (base fare + carrier imposed fees, - government imposed taxes and fees)

EQM: Elite Qualifying Miles (accrual depends on fare basis, airline and miles flown)

EQS: Elite Qualifying Segments (discrete qualifying segment credited by AA)

Platinum Pro: new tier beginning 1/1/17 requiring $9,000 EQD and 75,000 EQM or 90 EQS in one calendar year

For links to new threads about these and other recent changes affecting AA flyers, see below.

Link to AAdvantage Program Updates page on aa.com.

Link to Gary Leff's "View from the Wing" blog article on these changes.

Link to Ben "Lucky" Schlappig's take in "One Mile at a Time" on View From the Boarding Area

Link to Andy's take on the Award Miles earning changes on View From the Boarding Area.

Links to useful threads:

GUIDE: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA and partner airlines (2017 on)

GUIDE: Earning AA Elite Qualifying Miles / EQM on AA, oneworld, partner airlines 2017

GUIDE: Earning AA Award / Redeemable Miles / RDM on AA, partners 1 Aug 2016

HELP DESK: Elite Qualifying EQD, EQM & Award / RDM Calculations & Planning 2017

AAdvantage® earning estimates - FAQ (aa.com)
(aa.com "AAdvantage program updates" - link)

Link to FT thread: What are AA Platinum Pro Benefits? Are they worth it? (master thread)

Link to FT thread: oneworld not requiring connecting protection or interline baggage 1 Jun 2016

Link to ARCHIVE: "Speculation about upcoming changes tba 6 Jun 2016"

Updated 6 Jan 2012 - JDiver

Print Wikipost

REACTION, DISCUSSION: EQD, status tier, upgrade changes as of 6 Jun 2016

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2016, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pbuntrock

Three, BOS-DFW-PVG-DFW-BOS. This one is unbelievable the actually ticket minus taxes was $175. If you don't believe this I will post screen shot.
You are likely not including carrier imposed fees (YQ/YR) which are currently running $282 on this route. These (along with base fare) also count towards mileage and EQD earning.
You got a great deal. The vast majority of (non-FT) flyers would largely focus on that rather than the number of miles they will earn under the new system. While I was disappointed when DL went to fare-based earnings, I chose not to obsess over it as I can understand the rationality. The aviation world has changed much since the days when AA invented the FF program shortly after deregulation. There was a lot more correlation between distance flown and fares back then. These days, not so much (as evidenced by your trip).

Last edited by xliioper; Jun 11, 2016 at 9:22 am
Old Jun 11, 2016, 9:17 am

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Timppa_HEL
I just had a trip.
OSLO-LONDON-SAN FRANSISCO-LONDON-OSLO, Class I, AA ticket. I am platinum status.
I got about 55 000 miles including 25K bonus , my trip price was 550 EUR, mistake fare.

How many miles I would get, if my travelling day would be after 1.8.2016?
"AA ticket" isn't the relevant information. Were they all AA-marketed flights? Also, it would help to clarify whether the miles you refer to (and ask about) were EQM or RDM; you got both, in some amount.

OSL-LON-SFO-LON-OSL is 12,234 base miles. If all AA-marketed:
- multiply by 2 for I => 24,472 EQM
- multiply by 1.5 for I and 2 for Plat => 36,702 RDM (before Aug 1)

The "25k bonus" you refer to: was that one of the special offers AA is running for "non-elite-qualifying" miles (ie RDM)? Those offers now end Jul 31 and would not be a factor in your Aug 1 calculation.

The EQM earned will not change Aug 1; the RDM will, to a much smaller amount, as others have explained: 550 EUR minus taxes then converted to USD would be very roughly $500 (at a guess), times 8 (for Plat) would be 4k RDM. Again, this assumes all AA-marketed.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 10:17 am

Programs: LT Gold/BA Executive Club/AS MP/Marriott
Originally Posted by Fanjet
If someone is looking to switch over to AS's Mileage Plan to credit their AA flights, I think they will be greatly disappointed in the near term. Look at the AS earnings for DL flights today. And look at what they were 2 or 3 years ago.

AS is going to be spending $2.6 billion to acquire VX. Which is much more than it is worth. FF programs cost an airline money to operate. And while AS has a CC agreement with BofA, I don't think it is anywhere as profitable to the airline as AX and DL. Or Chase and UA. Or Citibank and AA. Those who expect business-as-usual to be maintained at AS are extremely optimistic IMO.
I do agree that AA & AS's FF relationship will probably move towards the current AS/DL relationship (not too good for MR's in Y).

I don't believe however AS's will turn into a points based system the way AA is heading towards for quite some time. They are simply not large enough and need some kind of "edge" and this is one of them (along with excellent customer service, etc.).

Again, I'm simply speculating.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 3:47 pm

Programs: Try to be elite again... :)
Is the current year upgrade priority unchanged?
I intend to purchase a ticket from HNL to BOS with a transit in Phoenix, I am EXP so hope to get some sort of upgrade? But the fare I purchased is the cheapest available... Anyone has ideas?
Old Jun 11, 2016, 4:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by Fanjet
If someone is looking to switch over to AS's Mileage Plan to credit their AA flights, I think they will be greatly disappointed in the near term. Look at the AS earnings for DL flights today. And look at what they were 2 or 3 years ago.

AS is going to be spending $2.6 billion to acquire VX. Which is much more than it is worth. FF programs cost an airline money to operate. And while AS has a CC agreement with BofA, I don't think it is anywhere as profitable to the airline as AX and DL. Or Chase and UA. Or Citibank and AA. Those who expect business-as-usual to be maintained at AS are extremely optimistic IMO.
For those of us flying 100K+ miles of discount F, crediting DL, AA and BA flights to AS gets roughly 2x more miles than crediting to DL or AA. Some roughly calculated examples:

A $1000 discount F AA/DL connecting transcon earns 5000 miles + 1250 25% class of service bonus + 7800 MVP Gold 75 bonus = ~14000 AS miles vs ~8000 AA miles as AA EXP.

A $1700 discount J ST TATL earns 12000 miles + 3000 25% class of service bonus + 18750 MVP Gold 75 bonus = ~34000 AS miles vs ~16000 AA miles as AA EXP

A $1800 discount J BA TATL earns 12000 miles + 6000 50% class of service bonus + 22500 MVP Gold 75 bonus = ~40000 AS miles vs ~17000 AA miles as AA EXP

I have been crediting DL flights to AS for the past couple of years, and now will status match AA EXP -> MVP Gold 75 and that will be that. AS buying VX is sweet bonus given that I am based in SFO. And yes, this will likely change... AS and DL may fully divorce but I expect AA/BA and AS to stay close at least through 2018. So that's at least two years of earning 2x miles with a better redemption program than AA.

So yes, nobody cares about coach flyers any more, AS will scoop up the savvy discount business travelers, and the majors will get the exorbitant fare business travelers that they want.

A few years ago I worked at a large company as an AA CK and UA 1K regularly flying $3K transcons, $6K TATLs, and $8K TPACs. I would be earning far more miles with these changes and would be even more loyal to AA/UA. So I think this was a smart move on their part.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 5:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I don't see how your maths is working

Taking LAX-JFK as an example , the lowest business r/t fare of AA is coming in at $1196.20 with $109.69 in taxes - so base fare of $1086.51. -- so $1000 is not that far out

However...

an EP member earns 11 points per dollar, so a $1086 fare gives 11,946 miles rather than 8000 - and no reason to connect rather than fly non stop

Comparing AS earning for the non stop in business class, then would be 2475 + 3094 + 619 each way , for a total of 12,376

At the $1086 fare, EP traveller is earning less than someone connecting in 1st crediting to AS, but only by 2,000 miles, not 6000, and is getting a quicker journey

The EP member , in the current scheme would be earning 2475 miles each way plus 100% status bonus plus 50% class of service bonus = 12,376 miles - so the difference in earning is worse by 3.5% at 430 miles

Last edited by Dave Noble; Jun 11, 2016 at 6:09 pm
Old Jun 11, 2016, 5:55 pm

Platinum Pro Challenge 2017?

Can you guys see a challenge for platinum pro status coming anytime soon?

If so what do you think it will entail? Will EQD be a requirement in the to be challenge?

What are your guys thoughts?

Cheers!
Old Jun 11, 2016, 6:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I don't see how your maths is working

Taking LAX-JFK as an example , the lowest business r/t fare of AA is coming in at $1196.20 with $109.69 in taxes - so base fare of $1086.51. -- so $1000 is not that far out

However...

an EP member earns 11 points per dollar, so a $1086 fare gives 11,946 miles rather than 8000 - and no reason to connect rather than fly non stop

At the $1086 fare, EP traveller is earning less than someone connecting in 1st crediting to AS, but only by 2,000 miles, not 6000, and is getting a quicker journey

The EP member , in the current scheme would be earning 2475 miles each way plus 100% status bonus plus 50% class of service bonus = 12,376 miles - so the difference in earning is worse by 3.5% at 430 miles
Yes, with the current JetBlue inspired fare war for SFO/LAX-JFK it is closer. Note that after the VX-acquisition AS will be operating on those routes direct with recliners at the same or lower price, plus the 2000+ extra miles. However I don't think the price will stay that low.

Again the context for this math is for discount business class traveler that typically books closer in and is willing to connect on a transcon. It's not like people aren't flying direct for lack of trying - for example, I have done 9x SFO-NYC-SFO in the past couple of years and have not been able to get AA direct at the cheap price a single time so typically fly SFO-DFW/ORD-LGA, and sometimes JetBlue.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 6:38 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
From an EQM and minimum spend, this seems about right to me. I think i have 96k eqms from about 4 AAvacations trips to Europe in business class, at roughly $2.9k each. That's been cherrypicking AA and flying other carriers when i have to pay more that $3k for business class, to just fly the best business class products for the cost.
Now the changes to RDMs, that will hurt as i have been averaging about 60k per trip with the promos and bonuses ans think I'll be getting 24k rdms if lucky for each trip under the new system.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 7:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by stephem
From an EQM and minimum spend, this seems about right to me. I think i have 96k eqms from about 4 AAvacations trips to Europe in business class, at roughly $2.9k each. That's been cherrypicking AA and flying other carriers when i have to pay more that $3k for business class, to just fly the best business class products for the cost.
Now the changes to RDMs, that will hurt as i have been averaging about 60k per trip with the promos and bonuses ans think I'll be getting 24k rdms if lucky for each trip under the new system.
If flying to London, the taxes would be around $340, leaving $2560 as fare. this would earn around 28,000 redeemable miles.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
But wasn't US prioritizing on rolling PQMs (EQMs), not $$ ?
sensei is correct - it was PQM/EQM.

Last edited by Global321; Jun 13, 2016 at 9:45 am Reason: updated to correct with accurate information
Old Jun 11, 2016, 8:54 pm

Programs: USA CP, AA, UAL, BA, DLTA
My concern is not with the changes but with AA's high fares. I am going to Myanmar in September and AA fares are much higher that other airlines. So I'm flying United with the flight overseas being First Class, which was less than Business, and all the other flights being Business overseas or First in the US. If I had flown AA, I would have reached Platinum again but now I'm going to be the lowest tier of United and Gold as a Million miler on AA.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 1:36 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat
Here might be a strategy to get the dollar spend up for a couple/ spouse where just one of them need EXP status (as in my case my Wife rarely flies unless she is with me).

If you are a AMEX PLAT card holder, they offer a free international 1st class ticket WITH purchase of a FULL FARE international first class ticket. Buy the full fare for yourself, give the spouse/ partner the free ticket, have a nice vacation, and you essentially get the revenue for two tickets on your single account.

This strategy will require some very select identification of destinations, as full fare first can be very pricey. Have to find the route that full fare is somewhat reasonable and be a destination you want to go to.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 7:08 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by GunsOfNavarone
Here might be a strategy to get the dollar spend up for a couple/ spouse where just one of them need EXP status (as in my case my Wife rarely flies unless she is with me).

If you are a AMEX PLAT card holder, they offer a free international 1st class ticket WITH purchase of a FULL FARE international first class ticket. Buy the full fare for yourself, give the spouse/ partner the free ticket, have a nice vacation, and you essentially get the revenue for two tickets on your single account.

This strategy will require some very select identification of destinations, as full fare first can be very pricey. Have to find the route that full fare is somewhat reasonable and be a destination you want to go to.
Umm... not sure about this, AA is not a participant in that program. Though some OW carriers are, we don't know enough about partner details yet to understand how/if this would work.

Also, I'm not sure that is worth it based on the few times I've tried to price a ticket via the Amex program, unless you just like lighting money on fire. Although, I'm coming to realize their seems to be a class of posters on FT that are just so mentally locked into and obsessed with obtaining status, that perhaps this might work out for them.

Regards
Old Jun 12, 2016, 8:17 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by scubadu
Umm... not sure about this, AA is not a participant in that program. Though some OW carriers are, we don't know enough about partner details yet to understand how/if this would work.

Also, I'm not sure that is worth it based on the few times I've tried to price a ticket via the Amex program, unless you just like lighting money on fire. Although, I'm coming to realize their seems to be a class of posters on FT that are just so mentally locked into and obsessed with obtaining status, that perhaps this might work out for them.

Regards
Thanks- I did not know that AA did not participate in the buy one FC, get on free. My Wife and I take one big trip every year, so I thought this might be a course of action. What we have done in the past is she uses AAdvantage miles and I buy a coach seat and then use SWUs for my ticket.

I fly often work, made EXP late last month, have done three trans Atlantic, one trans pacific, and one South America so far this year on AA, and being EXP makes the trips tolerable. I fly on contract fares, so I will likely be short the $12k spending level- so am looking if there is a way to maintain EXP.

Like others, on OCONUS flights, maybe eliminating the big 3 USA carriers might be a good COA. I am in Franfurt at the moment, and for fun did a google flight search and found FRA to YYZ in J for under $800 EUR. Not a great airline, not a lie flat seat, but sure beats big 3 coach or $2,000+ USD for a one way from Europe to North America.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.