Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

REACTION, DISCUSSION: EQD, status tier, upgrade changes as of 6 Jun 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: The AAdvantage changes announced 6 Jun 2016 will
incentivize me to fly AA more, as I benefit overall
3.55%
cause me to buy premium over discount AA fares
3.42%
not impact my travel on AA in the balance
16.82%
make me choose AA or a competitor, depending on itinerary
23.78%
make me become an independent agent
29.04%
cause me to join another airline's FF program
23.39%
Voters: 761. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jun 6, 2016, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AAdvantage Changes Announced 6 Jun 2016 - REACTION, DISCUSSION

This thread is dedicated to "REACTION, DISCUSSION" of the changes announced June 6, 2016.

For "JUST THE FACTS", please use JUST THE FACTS: EQD, status tier, upgrade changes as of 6 Jun 2016

Link to AAdvantage Program Updates page on aa.com.

Link to Gary Leff's "View from the Wing" blog article on these changes.

Link to Ben "Lucky" Schlappig's take in "One Mile at a Time" on View From the Boarding Area

Summary of changes:

aa.com: Unknown but intended: aa.com updated to show EQM, EQD and RDM/AW for your convenience when booking and in your account for keeping informed about your accruals.
Aug 2016:

Change to earning Award / Redeemable Miles to revenue based begins (see FT thread)

Bonus award miles "More Miles" for premium cabin discontinued

For travel beginning August 1, 2016

Earn award miles based on your ticket price and elite status on American-marketed flights.

You earn miles on the base fare plus carrier-imposed fees minus government-imposed taxes and fees. The more you spend (and the higher your elite status level) the more you’ll earn.
  • AAdvantage® member – 5 miles for every U.S. dollar
  • Gold member – 7 miles for every U.S. dollar (40% bonus)
  • Platinum member – 8 miles for every U.S. dollar (60% bonus)
  • Platinum Pro - 9 miles for every U.S. dollar
  • Executive Platinum member – 11 miles for every U.S. dollar (120% bonus)
On most flights marketed by partner airlines, you'll earn award miles based on a percentage of the flight distance and the fare class of your ticket. Rates will be available by July 15.

NOTE: this also pertains to "special fares", such as those purchased through AA Vacations. (not AA language)

1 Jan 2017:

Status earning to have EQM/EQS criteria AND "EQD" revenue spend requirement

In addition to the (same as 2016) required EQM or EQS, to earn status one will have to also earn "Elite Qualifying Dollars" / "EQD" spend credit as follows (during the calendar year):

"EQDs will be awarded based on:

Ticket price (base fare plus carrier-imposed fees, excluding any government-imposed taxes and fees) on American-marketed flights

EQD calculations will not include change fees and similar (premium seats, baggage, etc.) charges.

Q. Do checked bag fees, seat purchases, 500-mile upgrades or other products/service fees count toward earning award miles and EQDs?

No, only the base fare paid for your ticket including any carrier-imposed fees will count toward earning award miles and EQDs. Fees for other products or services will not be awarded miles or EQDs, including but not limited to the following: checked baggage fees, Admirals Club® memberships, Wi-Fi passes, in-flight food and beverage purchases, in-flight entertainment, unaccompanied minor fees, pet travel fees, 500-mile upgrades, mileage upgrade cash co-payments, Mileage Multiplier, BuyMiles, GiftMiles, ShareMiles or other mileage purchases, ticket change fees, ticketing fees, same-day confirmed flight change or standby fees and service charges. (Thanks to ty97.)
Flights marketed by oneworld® carriers and Alaska Airlines will earn EQDs based on a percentage of the flight distance and the fare class purchased (as may "special fares" - not AA language)

NOTE: EQD offset may be earned by spend on Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Red and Silver cards (added language not from AA)

With the addition of EQDs, we’ll remove the rule that 4 segments must be traveled on American or American Eagle during the qualifying year to receive elite status."
New EQD requirement
  • Gold - $3,000
  • Platinum - $6,000
  • Platinum Pro - $9,000 (beginning 1/1/17)
  • Executive Platinum - $12,000
Elimination of four AA marketed EQS requirement

NOTE: Concierge Key is treated as a higher status tier than Executive Platinum for upgrade Priority, but is not otherwise an AAdvantage status tier.

Change from three status tiers to four - new 75K "Platinum Pro" added

"In 2017 you can start earning toward a new level, Platinum Pro, with benefits like:
  • Complimentary upgrades on flights in 500-mile upgrade markets
  • Earn 9 award miles/U.S. dollar (80% bonus)
  • 2 free checked bags
  • oneworld® Sapphire status
  • 72 hour upgrade window
NOTE: Platinum upgrade window goes from 72 to 48 hours; Concierge Key upgrade window is 120 hours.

February 2017

Introduction of highly restricted AA Basic Economy fares. FT link.

These will accrue 0.5 EQM, 0.5 EQS, will not permit rollaboard size / overhead baggage (only one personal item) unless you have status, no upgrades permitted, etc.

"Late" 2017:

Change to upgrade priority to EQD-based priority

"The way your upgrade request is prioritized will change later in 2017. You’ll be listed according to your elite status level followed by the number of EQDs earned in the last 12 months."
EP, and within EP by EQD spend in last 12 month period; PlatPro, ditto, and on to Platinum, Gold. For both upgrade request and airport list if request goes to airport list.

Executive Platinums able to upgrade MC / coach award flight (On flights 500 mile upgrades are usable, courtesy upgrades; priority within EP by last 12 month EQD spend).

"Starting later in 2017, Executive Platinum members can use their complimentary 500-mile upgrade benefits on AAdvantage® award tickets for travel on American from Main Cabin to the next class."

Peripheral issues:

AA Vacations: AA Vacations packages (like partner airline tickets) will earn EQD, EQM, and RDM/AW based on the distance flown as determined by the fare class purchased. This is in accordance with the "Special Fares" section of the new EQD earnings pages, and confirmed here

EQD requirements will apply to non-US residents as well as US as currently exists

EQD requirements can be partially offset by spend on Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Red or Silver cards.

Partners (AS and oneworld): accrual of EQM as reflected on charts on aa.com; EQD credit to be announced (15 Jul 2016)

Status: AA has no current plans to add "Lifetime Platinum Pro" status.

Resources:

GLOSSARY:

EQD: Elite Qualifying Dollars (base fare + carrier imposed fees, - government imposed taxes and fees)

EQM: Elite Qualifying Miles (accrual depends on fare basis, airline and miles flown)

EQS: Elite Qualifying Segments (discrete qualifying segment credited by AA)

Platinum Pro: new tier beginning 1/1/17 requiring $9,000 EQD and 75,000 EQM or 90 EQS in one calendar year

For links to new threads about these and other recent changes affecting AA flyers, see below.

Link to AAdvantage Program Updates page on aa.com.

Link to Gary Leff's "View from the Wing" blog article on these changes.

Link to Ben "Lucky" Schlappig's take in "One Mile at a Time" on View From the Boarding Area

Link to Andy's take on the Award Miles earning changes on View From the Boarding Area.

Links to useful threads:

GUIDE: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA and partner airlines (2017 on)

GUIDE: Earning AA Elite Qualifying Miles / EQM on AA, oneworld, partner airlines 2017

GUIDE: Earning AA Award / Redeemable Miles / RDM on AA, partners 1 Aug 2016

HELP DESK: Elite Qualifying EQD, EQM & Award / RDM Calculations & Planning 2017

AAdvantage® earning estimates - FAQ (aa.com)
(aa.com "AAdvantage program updates" - link)

Link to FT thread: What are AA Platinum Pro Benefits? Are they worth it? (master thread)

Link to FT thread: oneworld not requiring connecting protection or interline baggage 1 Jun 2016

Link to ARCHIVE: "Speculation about upcoming changes tba 6 Jun 2016"

Updated 6 Jan 2012 - JDiver

Print Wikipost

REACTION, DISCUSSION: EQD, status tier, upgrade changes as of 6 Jun 2016

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2016, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by rjw242
Right now it is. After August 1st, Platinums will earn 60% more RDMs than non-status members (8 miles per dollar spent vs. 5, respectively).

Nope. Just 8,000 miles. Also, note that mileage earning only applies to the fare minus government taxes and fees (but including carrier-imposed fees like "fuel surcharges"). So you'd likely earn miles on something like $800-900 of the ticket price.
You must be kidding me...
This is absolutely horrible.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 7:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Originally Posted by scubadu
2) At some point people have to assess the real economic value of FC lounge access, with a little less emotion and a little more logic, which is what many here seem to be obsessed with. I love the lounges as much as anyone, but honestly, I usually have nicer food and alcohol in my own home, so I'm not willing to chase lounge access at any price. At some point this game just doesn't make as much sense anymore...

Regards
Those are excellent points.
Indeed, instead of a couple of mileage runs, consider the cost of purchasing a state of the art reclining chair, buying a couple of good bottles, and hiring a cook to come to your home for 1 evening. The food will be fresh and at the end you will have your recliner to keep for years to come - no EQD required!
Old Jun 12, 2016, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by Jacobin777
I'm really hoping to see carriers such as Norwegian, WOW Air, etc. starting making large inroads into the U.S. market, that should hopefully help the traveling public.
Be careful what you wish for.

While new LCC entrants will help keep fares lower. They will not make FF programs more generous. Just look at their effect on the European travel market over the past 10-20 years. Mileage earnings in those legacy flag carriers' FF programs are much worse than what they used to be. It's quite typical for a low-priced Y fare on a short haul flight to earn only 125 miles. Which would be the equivalent of what one would earn on a $25 base fare under the progams at UA, DL, and now AA. How may of those low fares are out there? So the European earnings are actually much worse for cheap Y fares. And they did not go to a revenue-based system; but are still on mileage-based one.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nonesuch flyer
I have understood from reading posts on FT that the FF programs were major profit centers for the airlines... Has this changed or do the big 3 just want to increase the profitability of the FF programs?
Just because something generates a profit does not mean it is cost-free. The airlines are making great profits. But running those airlines costs a lot of money to do so. The profit generated with these FF programs comes from selling billions of dollars worth of FF miles to CC companies (without ever having to transport someone for it). How much profit is there with handing out over 10,000 FF miles to a Platinum flyer for a $258 RT between LAX and BOS?

Last edited by Fanjet; Jun 12, 2016 at 8:53 pm
Old Jun 12, 2016, 8:57 pm

Admirals Club Membership Changes

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInform...Membership.jsp

Does anyone know if AC membership dues count toward PQD?
Old Jun 12, 2016, 9:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by GeraldHouse

In a word: No.

AA FAQ: https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/p...ryId=undefined
Old Jun 12, 2016, 9:15 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by GeraldHouse

"No, only the base fare paid for your ticket including any carrier-imposed fees will count toward earning award miles and EQDs. Fees for other products or services will not be awarded miles or EQDs, including but not limited to the following: checked baggage fees, Admirals Club® memberships, ..." according to the FAQS on the AAdvantage program updates page.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Fanjet

While new LCC entrants will help keep fares lower. They will not make FF programs more generous. Just look at their effect on the European travel market over the past 10-20 years. Mileage earnings in those legacy flag carriers' FF programs are much worse than what they used to be. It's quite typical for a low-priced Y fare on a short haul flight to earn only 125 miles. Which would be the equivalent of what one would earn on a $25 base fare under the progams at UA, DL, and now AA. How may of those low fares are out there? So the European earnings are actually much worse for cheap Y fares. And they did not go to a revenue-based system; but are still on mileage-based one.
So what? The entry of powerful LCCs in Europe has driven the price of tickets way down. At the point no one cares about FFPs. Airlines like AF, LH, and even BA to an extent struggle to compete with LCCs in Europe because they're far more streamlined and cheap. Is FR a great flying experience? Of course not. But when I can fly from London to Vilnius for $25rt, who cares?

Don't get me wrong, I love first class and premium products, but when something is that cheap (and relatively short), premium can go out the window.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cmd320
So what? The entry of powerful LCCs in Europe has driven the price of tickets way down. At the point no one cares about FFPs. Airlines like AF, LH, and even BA to an extent struggle to compete with LCCs in Europe because they're far more streamlined and cheap. Is FR a great flying experience? Of course not. But when I can fly from London to Vilnius for $25rt, who cares?

Don't get me wrong, I love first class and premium products, but when something is that cheap (and relatively short), premium can go out the window.
Except that here in the U.S., FFers (particularly on this forum) still seem to want a lot of reward for that cheap fare. The airlines are now saying you can't have both. And I haven't seen one poster here say that Spirit will now be getting their business due to these changes.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 10:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
And I haven't seen one poster here say that Spirit will now be getting their business due to these changes.
😂 "You mean I have to PAY for my PDB?!"
Old Jun 13, 2016, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Except that here in the U.S., FFers (particularly on this forum) still seem to want a lot of reward for that cheap fare. The airlines are now saying you can't have both. And I haven't seen one poster here say that Spirit will now be getting their business due to these changes.
There is no option in the US that is that cheap with that much coverage. NK is tiny relative to FR.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 8:54 am

Programs: AA EXP & AAirpass, Hyatt Courtesy Card, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by 110pgl
That would be not true.
"If you book a discount fare (any fare other than Y or B class), we prioritize your upgrade by Preferred level, and within each Preferred level, by the number of Preferred-qualifying miles you've flown on US Airways and US Airways Express operated flights in the last 12 months. We begin processing upgrades for all discount fares at either 7, 4, 3 or 2 days before departure, depending on Preferred level"

Seems pretty clear. They carried forward the 12 month idea and transitioned PQM flown to spend. You can check for yourself here:

https://web.archive.org/web/20150312.../upgrades.html
Old Jun 13, 2016, 9:00 am

Programs: UA Plt /Delta DM/ Marriott Platinum Prem./Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Globalist /Hertz PS / National EE
The New American Checklist

Sorry if repetitive! Here is a list of changes US Airways Management has made that used to be American's greatest strength and now lowest in industry standards:

*Onboard First Class Catering - the food went from pretty good to inedible
*American Advantage Mile general Value (Ill take Skypesos over AA Pesos) I find easy awards with tiny surcharges any on Skyteam, transatlantic or transpacific almost anytime. Its getting impossible with OneWorld partners
*Customer Service - This is near rock bottom, just like Smisek did to United, maybe worse. EXP desk is worse than the Delta Gold Desk (or probably any Delta desk)
*EXP Upgrades - Now we get less than all other airlines. United is 10 instruments total, AA is 4.
*Premium Economy- Im guessing Goodbye EXP upgrades to Business (most likely) since they have not announced anything, it cant be good!
*What was going to become the most consistent onboard product if AA stayed alone will be by far the most inconsistent in the USA... by far!
*Overall attitude towards customers - I fealt the Old AA treated me very well. the new AA could care less if I fly them or not.
*Lack of technology. AA was getting better before US took over, but US barely had a functional app and could care less. UA/DL/SWA/B6 all have excellent apps and AA's is not even functional.
*We still run off of paper vouchers

All the airlines have their quirks. But lets face it. So many of us were flying AA because of Advantage more than anything. Maybe they should have waited a few years and fix the product first... then Delta -size their program. I used to go to aa.com to book every single plane ticket. Now I have 40eqm on AA, 62eqm on all other airlines combined. Im guessing many more are doing the same!

Last edited by aero0729; Jun 13, 2016 at 1:36 pm
Old Jun 13, 2016, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

EQD for a RTW ticket that includes both AA and partner segments- I assume this would breakdown by segment as well?

This is seriously going to be so hard to track......
Old Jun 13, 2016, 11:23 am

Programs: LT Gold/BA Executive Club/AS MP/Marriott

Originally Posted by cmd320
The entry of powerful LCCs in Europe has driven the price of tickets way down. At the point no one cares about FFPs.
I think that's what's most important. I agree we are talking about domestic travel but for people like me, domestic travel is can still be north of 5 hours.

Also, if I can get for example RT SFO-DXB in say premium economy for $1200 or business for $2,500 then I really wouldn't care about FF, redemptions, etc. Of course, this is specific for me. Other people have other views and I'm fine with it.

I've always said there needs to be a "balance" between fares and FFs, etc. Maybe prior to 2013/2014 there was too much of a "bias" towards the passenger/FF but now IMHO due to a semi-oligopoly, the "bias" is too much towards the carriers and they have been able to take advantage of it without too much repercussions (nothing illegal but IMHO poor business decision).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.