Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

REACTION, DISCUSSION: EQD, status tier, upgrade changes as of 6 Jun 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: The AAdvantage changes announced 6 Jun 2016 will
incentivize me to fly AA more, as I benefit overall
3.55%
cause me to buy premium over discount AA fares
3.42%
not impact my travel on AA in the balance
16.82%
make me choose AA or a competitor, depending on itinerary
23.78%
make me become an independent agent
29.04%
cause me to join another airline's FF program
23.39%
Voters: 761. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jun 6, 2016, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AAdvantage Changes Announced 6 Jun 2016 - REACTION, DISCUSSION

This thread is dedicated to "REACTION, DISCUSSION" of the changes announced June 6, 2016.

For "JUST THE FACTS", please use JUST THE FACTS: EQD, status tier, upgrade changes as of 6 Jun 2016

Link to AAdvantage Program Updates page on aa.com.

Link to Gary Leff's "View from the Wing" blog article on these changes.

Link to Ben "Lucky" Schlappig's take in "One Mile at a Time" on View From the Boarding Area

Summary of changes:

aa.com: Unknown but intended: aa.com updated to show EQM, EQD and RDM/AW for your convenience when booking and in your account for keeping informed about your accruals.
Aug 2016:

Change to earning Award / Redeemable Miles to revenue based begins (see FT thread)

Bonus award miles "More Miles" for premium cabin discontinued

For travel beginning August 1, 2016

Earn award miles based on your ticket price and elite status on American-marketed flights.

You earn miles on the base fare plus carrier-imposed fees minus government-imposed taxes and fees. The more you spend (and the higher your elite status level) the more you’ll earn.
  • AAdvantage® member – 5 miles for every U.S. dollar
  • Gold member – 7 miles for every U.S. dollar (40% bonus)
  • Platinum member – 8 miles for every U.S. dollar (60% bonus)
  • Platinum Pro - 9 miles for every U.S. dollar
  • Executive Platinum member – 11 miles for every U.S. dollar (120% bonus)
On most flights marketed by partner airlines, you'll earn award miles based on a percentage of the flight distance and the fare class of your ticket. Rates will be available by July 15.

NOTE: this also pertains to "special fares", such as those purchased through AA Vacations. (not AA language)

1 Jan 2017:

Status earning to have EQM/EQS criteria AND "EQD" revenue spend requirement

In addition to the (same as 2016) required EQM or EQS, to earn status one will have to also earn "Elite Qualifying Dollars" / "EQD" spend credit as follows (during the calendar year):

"EQDs will be awarded based on:

Ticket price (base fare plus carrier-imposed fees, excluding any government-imposed taxes and fees) on American-marketed flights

EQD calculations will not include change fees and similar (premium seats, baggage, etc.) charges.

Q. Do checked bag fees, seat purchases, 500-mile upgrades or other products/service fees count toward earning award miles and EQDs?

No, only the base fare paid for your ticket including any carrier-imposed fees will count toward earning award miles and EQDs. Fees for other products or services will not be awarded miles or EQDs, including but not limited to the following: checked baggage fees, Admirals Club® memberships, Wi-Fi passes, in-flight food and beverage purchases, in-flight entertainment, unaccompanied minor fees, pet travel fees, 500-mile upgrades, mileage upgrade cash co-payments, Mileage Multiplier, BuyMiles, GiftMiles, ShareMiles or other mileage purchases, ticket change fees, ticketing fees, same-day confirmed flight change or standby fees and service charges. (Thanks to ty97.)
Flights marketed by oneworld® carriers and Alaska Airlines will earn EQDs based on a percentage of the flight distance and the fare class purchased (as may "special fares" - not AA language)

NOTE: EQD offset may be earned by spend on Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Red and Silver cards (added language not from AA)

With the addition of EQDs, we’ll remove the rule that 4 segments must be traveled on American or American Eagle during the qualifying year to receive elite status."
New EQD requirement
  • Gold - $3,000
  • Platinum - $6,000
  • Platinum Pro - $9,000 (beginning 1/1/17)
  • Executive Platinum - $12,000
Elimination of four AA marketed EQS requirement

NOTE: Concierge Key is treated as a higher status tier than Executive Platinum for upgrade Priority, but is not otherwise an AAdvantage status tier.

Change from three status tiers to four - new 75K "Platinum Pro" added

"In 2017 you can start earning toward a new level, Platinum Pro, with benefits like:
  • Complimentary upgrades on flights in 500-mile upgrade markets
  • Earn 9 award miles/U.S. dollar (80% bonus)
  • 2 free checked bags
  • oneworld® Sapphire status
  • 72 hour upgrade window
NOTE: Platinum upgrade window goes from 72 to 48 hours; Concierge Key upgrade window is 120 hours.

February 2017

Introduction of highly restricted AA Basic Economy fares. FT link.

These will accrue 0.5 EQM, 0.5 EQS, will not permit rollaboard size / overhead baggage (only one personal item) unless you have status, no upgrades permitted, etc.

"Late" 2017:

Change to upgrade priority to EQD-based priority

"The way your upgrade request is prioritized will change later in 2017. You’ll be listed according to your elite status level followed by the number of EQDs earned in the last 12 months."
EP, and within EP by EQD spend in last 12 month period; PlatPro, ditto, and on to Platinum, Gold. For both upgrade request and airport list if request goes to airport list.

Executive Platinums able to upgrade MC / coach award flight (On flights 500 mile upgrades are usable, courtesy upgrades; priority within EP by last 12 month EQD spend).

"Starting later in 2017, Executive Platinum members can use their complimentary 500-mile upgrade benefits on AAdvantage® award tickets for travel on American from Main Cabin to the next class."

Peripheral issues:

AA Vacations: AA Vacations packages (like partner airline tickets) will earn EQD, EQM, and RDM/AW based on the distance flown as determined by the fare class purchased. This is in accordance with the "Special Fares" section of the new EQD earnings pages, and confirmed here

EQD requirements will apply to non-US residents as well as US as currently exists

EQD requirements can be partially offset by spend on Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Red or Silver cards.

Partners (AS and oneworld): accrual of EQM as reflected on charts on aa.com; EQD credit to be announced (15 Jul 2016)

Status: AA has no current plans to add "Lifetime Platinum Pro" status.

Resources:

GLOSSARY:

EQD: Elite Qualifying Dollars (base fare + carrier imposed fees, - government imposed taxes and fees)

EQM: Elite Qualifying Miles (accrual depends on fare basis, airline and miles flown)

EQS: Elite Qualifying Segments (discrete qualifying segment credited by AA)

Platinum Pro: new tier beginning 1/1/17 requiring $9,000 EQD and 75,000 EQM or 90 EQS in one calendar year

For links to new threads about these and other recent changes affecting AA flyers, see below.

Link to AAdvantage Program Updates page on aa.com.

Link to Gary Leff's "View from the Wing" blog article on these changes.

Link to Ben "Lucky" Schlappig's take in "One Mile at a Time" on View From the Boarding Area

Link to Andy's take on the Award Miles earning changes on View From the Boarding Area.

Links to useful threads:

GUIDE: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA and partner airlines (2017 on)

GUIDE: Earning AA Elite Qualifying Miles / EQM on AA, oneworld, partner airlines 2017

GUIDE: Earning AA Award / Redeemable Miles / RDM on AA, partners 1 Aug 2016

HELP DESK: Elite Qualifying EQD, EQM & Award / RDM Calculations & Planning 2017

AAdvantage® earning estimates - FAQ (aa.com)
(aa.com "AAdvantage program updates" - link)

Link to FT thread: What are AA Platinum Pro Benefits? Are they worth it? (master thread)

Link to FT thread: oneworld not requiring connecting protection or interline baggage 1 Jun 2016

Link to ARCHIVE: "Speculation about upcoming changes tba 6 Jun 2016"

Updated 6 Jan 2012 - JDiver

Print Wikipost

REACTION, DISCUSSION: EQD, status tier, upgrade changes as of 6 Jun 2016

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2016, 3:39 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Catching up aftr working

Originally Posted by JonNYC
I will admit, I'm surprised more people aren't more upset. Lucky at onemileatatime has an excellent write-up (at least I think it is as I agree with it!)

But, hey, if folks -aren't- appalled, that's certainly their prerogative and I clearly "misread the crowd"-- I still say these changes are AAbysmal. YMMV x 1000, needless to say.

Maybe a poll attached to the thread would be interesting.
I'm upset and others are too, but I think by now we all knew this was coming. Anyone with two brain cells who wasn't completely deluded knew this was going to happen. UA made their announcement in June, 2013 and we all got a three year stay of execution.

Originally Posted by skunker
And, I'm out. It's been a good run, but I'm done chasing status on AA.
Smart, the days of chasing status should be over for everyone. Buy based on schedule and price, take advantage of discounted First or Business when you can and be a free agent.

Originally Posted by shoodawg
AA USED to be a very good airline. Now LCC thinking has gotten the best of them.
Nothing to do with LCC, this is where the industry headed. Even without US buying them AA would be here.

Originally Posted by scholity
Not sure about that - Platinum Pro is being introduced in 2017 (on Jan 1)
Yep that was my mistake, thank you for pointing it out.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
As a prior thread stated; the big 3 auto companies didn't have to adjust or compete until the foreign competitors came in;

Question are there any good analysis out there (on FT or elsewhere) that might show if any Foreign carrier has a better FFP to join. I've always thought that foreign programs were less generous than US Based programs but now with the US based programs all coming to meet each other at the bottom of the toilet, maybe a foreign carrier might have a better FFP.

It may be in these 12 or 13 pages but is there a summary of what you get as a PeePee rather than a Plat lite?
Check out the "which *A/OW FFP to choose" threads that are stickied in their respective sub-forums, people ask those questions and have them answered in there all the time. There's a bunch of decent ones attractive to US-based customers - BAEC being probably the most common one as you can make OW Sapphire/BA Silver in just about 600USD and one weekend-trip in domestic F.

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
You're quite right that I am ignoring them. Not due to unfamiliarity living in SEA, however, and having flown them extensively with multiyear status on them.

The utility of AS as a program is problematic for a lot of people not living on the West Coast. Take, for instance, earning on Delta:

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...-airlines.aspx

Or British Airways:

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...h-airways.aspx

You're not going to be reaping the benefits of lots of flying on cheap partner airfares by joining AS MP.

Funny you should mention Emirates, considering AS no notice devalued their awards:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...no-notice.html

That's a sneaky trick right out of the DL/AA/UA playbook, wouldn't you say? What makes you think they won't try another one?

They're also merging with an airline that has a revenue-based program. So I don't think it's a 100% lock that they will stay away from revenue-based accrual.
I am fully aware of the devaluation (though that was on Emirates, not on AS, and I believe them in that). So I don't think they'll "try another one" because they didn't pull it, Emirates did. (likely because they noticed too many AS-redemptions). DL will likely disappear as a partner in the near future, that much I foresee.

And correct, AS does not award 100% EQM for flying DL/international partners - but neither do DL/AA/UA. For domestic, flying AA will award you 100% EQM regardless of what class you fly - at least for now.

I'm just saying - AS is successful and has a distance-based reward chart with ambitious redemptions. Though they're for obvious reasons right now mostly attractive to west-coast based flyers, which I stated in my post too.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 3:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by Smiley90
Check out the "which *A/OW FFP to choose" threads that are stickied in their respective sub-forums, people ask those questions and have them answered in there all the time. There's a bunch of decent ones attractive to US-based customers - BAEC being probably the most common one as you can make OW Sapphire/BA Gold in just about 600USD and one weekend-trip in domestic F.
Thanks I will do that as I've never been to those forums

Programs: BA Silver, AA Gold, A3 Gold, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Check out the "which *A/OW FFP to choose" threads that are stickied in their respective sub-forums, people ask those questions and have them answered in there all the time. There's a bunch of decent ones attractive to US-based customers - BAEC being probably the most common one as you can make OW Sapphire/BA Gold in just about 600USD and one weekend-trip in domestic F.
Just to point out OW Sapphire is BA Silver.

BA Gold is OW Emerald.

But, yes, carefully planned it wouldn't surprise me if you can qualify for BA Silver more cheaply than you can buy an Admirals Club membership.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by rjw242
And when an entire industry, region, ecosystem, etc. adopts a single model, it's all the more vulnerable to getting completely disrupted by outside factors.

Of course, when this happens I'm sure AA and others will cry that they "never saw it coming" and collect their bailouts
^ Good point.

Originally Posted by RustyC
WN has been a bit disappointing here in ATL ever since the AirTran merger...the fact that both NK and F9 have set up and expanded operations like they have at a WN HUB is pretty remarkable, as having both a legacy hub (DL) and an LCC hub (WN) would seem to make life very difficult for anyone else if you follow the conventional wisdom. Yet the ULCCs still see an under-served market at their level.

WN was late and uncharacteristically clumsy with their "Transfarency" campaign, IMO. They needed something earlier that was more pointed. They're still a better choice for many people (especially families with bags), but people won't automatically just know that.

Southwest, JetBlue and the ULCCs don't have big ad budgets, but I think they've so far missed a huge opportunity to poach even more customers from UA/AA/DL by claiming their FF programs are now BETTER for most people than the legacies.

They can now point out it takes fewer flights or dollars to get a free one. Maybe they can't get you to Europe or Australia, but this is a country where most people don't travel internationally and many don't have passports. If you can cover places like MCO, LAS, and a few others you're complete enough for them, and WN now goes to Mexico/Caribbean and Allegiant to Hawaii.

In some cases the ULCCs/LCCs need to review their programs to make them better (ESPECIALLY by making mileage expiration less aggressive), but it could be quite a turnabout from a few years ago when legacies would use FF programs to hold down the upstart LCCs, matching or nearly matching fares and having other things like assigned seats or a free carry-on or miles being the tiebreak for so many people. Now the shoe could be on the other foot.
More good analysis.

You're ignoring an airline that HAS an FFP, arguably one of the best if not THE best now and has been very successful and just expanded - AS.

I would think a lot of especially west-coast based flyers will take a very long and hard look at AS, especially after acquiring Virgin. And they award plenty distance-based awards with ambitious redemptions like CX, Emirates and newly JL F.

We'll see how long THAT lasts of course, but still.
Yes, it will be very interesting to see how AS positions and markets itself in terms of how the Big Three acre acting. I'll be one of those taking a longer look at Alaska.

Clearly the banks own the FF programs as its been pointed out by others as you'll never be able to "earn" RDM as fast thru flying vs credit cards. It was nice while it lasted and I've gotten tons of miles thru credit cards so the RDM was not that important to me. I was trying for EP and will make it this year, but like most, I won't be spending $12K in the future so I"ll NEVER see EP..

I feel much worse for the guy/gal who crams themselves into some crap seat week after week in Economy because that's all their company will spring for. Under the old rules at least they got rewarded eventually...Now? Forget it..

I guess the saying is true. You want loyalty? buy a dog

Last edited by df1kilo1; Jun 6, 2016 at 3:48 pm
Old Jun 6, 2016, 3:45 pm
Suspended

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Well, in addition to what has been discussed about many people being resigned to AA matching most of what UA/DL have done, there's also the fact that EXP was kept at 100k (EQD notwithstanding).
When you first hinted at the "new tiers" at the top of AA, I speculated that they'd add a 75k tier and move EXP up to 125k.

Now, I wonder what % of people here (on FT) will be dropping from EXP solely because of the EQDs and how that compares to the number of people who would drop from EXP if they raised the EQM to 125k.

I'm sure there are a bunch of each/both, but I imagine the screaming would have been a little louder if EXP was 125k.

As for my personal reaction - yeah, this sucks, but not unexpected. I suppose I'm most angry at the DOJ for caving and letting the US/AA merger go through. I do like the flexibility of being able to be a free agent, and I certainly have been over the past year or two. But I'm also <50k from hitting 1MM, and I do want that LT Gold status if for nothing else than shorter hold times on the phone, and better seat selection opportunities when flying coach.
All great points.

Originally Posted by no2chem
I'm not sure 125k would have made people more upset. If you're hitting 12k EQD, probably 125k eqm is within your reach. From reading the thread, those complaining would actually of preferred something like 150k or 200 EQM requirement over 12k EQD (my guess).

I think there isn't that much outcry because they're not taking AWAY any benefits, just changing who gets them and how hard it is to get them. If they did something like restrict SWU usage, take away comp sticker upgrades, require SWUs on premium transcons or remove OW sapphire from platinum, there certainly would have been a huge outcry.
And, also, great points.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Apologies, I meant BA Silver/OW Sapphire. Got confused by different programs using the same terms for different levels...

But yeah, BAEC Silver/OW Sapphire is easily doable with e.g. any StartWest-ConnectionWest-ConnectionEast-DestinationEast RT in domestic F netting you 540TP out of the required 600 - adding just one single connection of any distance already nets you Silver/Sapphire. Which also gets you lounge access when flying domestic in the US, which is another huge boon.

But anyway, that's for a different thread.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 3:48 pm

Programs: BA Silver, AA Gold, A3 Gold, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Apologies, I meant BA Silver/OW Sapphire. Got confused by different programs using the same terms for different levels...

But yeah, BAEC Silver/OW Sapphire is easily doable with e.g. any StartWest-ConnectionWest-ConnectionEast-DestinationEast RT in domestic F netting you 540TP out of the required 600 - adding just one single connection of any distance already nets you Silver/Sapphire. Which also gets you lounge access when flying domestic in the US, which is another huge boon.

But anyway, that's for a different thread.
Also worth noting that you'll need 4 BA segments to get qualified, but this can be in the cheap seats on BA across the atlantic.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
I would point out that the ME3 are doing quite a nice job of eviscerating older European/Asian carriers, but the ME3 don't award 100% RDM/EQM to people on deep discount Y either, and most certainly keep score of who's shelling out the big bucks.
Sorry about any confusion...I didn't mean to uphold the ME3 and most of the other international options as examples of great or particularly generous FF programs (they aren't). My intended point was that if it becomes all about price - and miles are barely a consideration - then the presence of players like those is important to keeping fares reasonable.

Frankly, if the US3 have really messed this up bigtime, you'll see competition soon enough. What you won't see is the "hey, fly our airline on a bunch of $99 transcon fares connecting TPA-MIA-JFK-ORD-DFW-LAX-SFO and back, and we'll treat you like a king", of FT of yore. That horse left the barn, now that you have enough data about customers. Airlines will still sell you Kayaker fares. They're just not going to reward bulk purchase of them.
We're seeing the start of it with ULCCs like NK and F9 and niche players like Allegiant (serving mostly vacationers to Florida and LAS from smaller markets). Would agree that the bizarre segment runs aren't likely to return and it'd be a form of slow torture to do them on ULCCs anyway, especially with how ULCCs handle IRROPS (you could get yourself stranded for days!)

Ironically, though, programs like F9 and NK still have distance-based miles. Because of their charge-for-everything business model the fare is only 50-60% of the total cost for some people (or even less than that), so you'd think they could position themselves as the quickest places to earn a free ticket, since all the other charges still apply and that's where the profit is.

Of note, none of the new successful airlines in the USA post-deregulation (WN, B6, VX) have tried a "fly a lot of miles and we'll let you redeem TPAC F with all the Krug and caviar you can stomach" model for their FF program. I think there's actually something to be said to "my points turn into $x of airfare" in terms of customer simplicity and understanding the value proposition as a customer, as opposed to mastering FlyerTalk arcana to get value from your miles. (It is of note that what the US3 have is definitely NOT that model, though. In some cases, with no published award charts like DL, it's the worst of all worlds.)
Sometimes it's easy for me to forget that many (if not most) people are motivated by upgrades as much or more than free tickets. I've always been more of a "plant the flag" traveler who tries to get to more places using the miles, but for many here it's the hang-the-moon trip with the S.O. to Europe and staying in a 5* on hotel miles that's big. I think you're right that the upgrade situation isn't good...the US3 have more of an oligopoly there. AirTran used to have a decent business-class offering that was much easier to get that went away with being swallowed by WN. Spirit has the "big front seat" that's wider and more comfortable, but food/drinks are still charged. Frontier has seats that are less-cramped as a paid or elite upgrade and an elite level where you get a carry-on and a chance at those seats, i.e. their elite = what used to be standard.

There's room for more experimentation, though.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 3:52 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, ex AA EXP
for people living outside the US it's a big door slammed on our face, 12K on AA will never happen,
Time to move to BA, LT Emerald and easy to achieve Gold when flying in premium cabin...
Old Jun 6, 2016, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Damn. I left 1K at UA in January for the AA platinum challenge. Now all the airlines are all the same with their programs. If I knew this I would never moved to AA. UA has finally caught up with their club and UA has something that AA doesn't: far superior E+ seating with better bulkheads, better IFE on just about every plane and to top it off wifi at half the price.

Mad

When I was at UA the Chase PP waived the spend thresholds for all levels except 1K ($12K). Now that I have Citi AA Platinum I would expect to see the same but I don't.

Life coming full circle for me. When I moved to phx in 2002 I make my way up to HP Platinum (front of the 'bus 99% of time) then US Chairmans Preferred (85% of the time) and the irony is I'm regulated to crappy seats in the same airbuses I was flying back in 2002 under the AA banner.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 4:01 pm

Programs: NH Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by JonNYC
I will admit, I'm surprised more people aren't more upset. Lucky at onemileatatime has an excellent write-up (at least I think it is as I agree with it!)

But, hey, if folks -aren't- appalled, that's certainly their prerogative and I clearly "misread the crowd"-- I still say these changes are AAbysmal. YMMV x 1000, needless to say.

Maybe a poll attached to the thread would be interesting.

After this announcement, I am one of the silent one who decided to walk away from AA.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 4:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4.1MM, HH Diamond
So let me get this straight - I now need an excel spreadsheet to figure out how I fare (need to keep track of miles flown, +$$ spent, + keep track of my lifetime miles since they have disappeared...)
Living in BOS, AA requires a connection for most destinations these days, including international (or you go BA, JAL, etc.).
If I can fly F/J, I wonder what the incentive is to fly AA.
And if I'm stuck in Y (booked through a corporate portal, which means lowest possible fare), scoring $12K gets to be close to impossible...
I'll do my best to not book anything after August 1st until we have full visibility... then I'll see what my options are (better iron and direct flights are very tempting from where I sit if it's the same ...... program everywhere!).
Old Jun 6, 2016, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
You're ignoring an airline that HAS an FFP, arguably one of the best if not THE best now and has been very successful and just expanded - AS.

I would think a lot of especially west-coast based flyers will take a very long and hard look at AS, especially after acquiring Virgin. And they award plenty distance-based awards with ambitious redemptions like CX, Emirates and newly JL F.

We'll see how long THAT lasts of course, but still.
I went over to AA after DL's changes but did so halfheartedly, shifting only one or two annual Asia trips and a smattering of others, enough to qualify at lowest level. The rest went to ULCCs and DL dropped to zero. If I had been my old self (like I was for 20 or so years) I could have gone for and gotten midlevel.

But I didn't because I didn't have confidence that AA would be the right rock to stand on, and this announcement confirms that cynicism (which I see many others shared)

Maybe I'll try to get a status-match to AS, but it's hard to see how they hold it all together.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.