Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

JUST THE FACTS: EQD, status tier, other changes announced 6 Jun 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 6, 2016, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AAdvantage Changes Announced 6 Jun 2016 - JUST THE FACTS

This thread is dedicated to "JUST THE FACTS" about the changes announced June 6, 2016.

For discussion of impact, reactions, etc. please use REACTION, DISCUSSION: EQD, status tier, upgrade changes as of 6 Jun 2016

Link to AAdvantage Program Updates page on aa.com.

Link to Gary Leff's "View from the Wing" blog article on these changes.

Link to Ben "Lucky" Schlappig's take in "One Mile at a Time" on View From the Boarding Area

Summary of changes:

aa.com: Unknown but intended: aa.com updated to show EQM, EQD and RDM/AW for your convenience when booking and in your account for keeping informed about your accruals.
Aug 2016:

Change to earning Award / Redeemable Miles to revenue based begins (see FT thread

Bonus award miles "More Miles" for premium cabin discontinued

For travel beginning August 1, 2016

Earn award miles based on your ticket price and elite status on American-marketed flights.

You earn miles on the base fare plus carrier-imposed fees minus government-imposed taxes and fees. The more you spend (and the higher your elite status level) the more you’ll earn.
  • AAdvantage® member – 5 miles for every U.S. dollar
  • Gold member – 7 miles for every U.S. dollar (40% bonus)
  • Platinum member – 8 miles for every U.S. dollar (60% bonus)
  • Platinum Pro - 9 miles for every U.S. dollar
  • Executive Platinum member – 11 miles for every U.S. dollar (120% bonus)
On most flights marketed by partner airlines, you'll earn award miles based on a percentage of the flight distance and the fare class of your ticket. Rates will be available by July 15.

NOTE: this also pertains to "special fares", such as those purchased through AA Vacations. (not AA language)

Domestic First cabin fares recoded 12 Nov 2016

Also see AA 2 class Domestic US50 First re-coded as J, D, I, R, C Nov 12, 2016

1 Jan 2017:

Status earning to have EQM/EQS criteria AND "EQD" revenue spend requirement

In addition to the (same as 2016) required EQM or EQS, to earn status one will have to also earn "Elite Qualifying Dollars" / "EQD" spend credit as follows (during the calendar year):

"EQDs will be awarded based on:

Ticket price (base fare plus carrier-imposed fees, excluding any government-imposed taxes and fees) on American-marketed flights

EQD calculations will not include change fees and similar (premium seats, baggage, etc.) charges.

Q. Do checked bag fees, seat purchases, 500-mile upgrades or other products/service fees count toward earning award miles and EQDs?

No, only the base fare paid for your ticket including any carrier-imposed fees will count toward earning award miles and EQDs. Fees for other products or services will not be awarded miles or EQDs, including but not limited to the following: checked baggage fees, Admirals Club® memberships, Wi-Fi passes, in-flight food and beverage purchases, in-flight entertainment, unaccompanied minor fees, pet travel fees, 500-mile upgrades, mileage upgrade cash co-payments, Mileage Multiplier, BuyMiles, GiftMiles, ShareMiles or other mileage purchases, ticket change fees, ticketing fees, same-day confirmed flight change or standby fees and service charges. (Thanks to ty97.)
Flights marketed by oneworld® carriers and Alaska Airlines will earn EQDs based on a percentage of the flight distance and the fare class purchased (as may "special fares" - not AA language)

NOTE: EQD offset may be earned by spend on Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Red and Silver cards (added language not from AA)

With the addition of EQDs, we’ll remove the rule that 4 segments must be traveled on American or American Eagle during the qualifying year to receive elite status."
New EQD requirement
  • Gold - $3,000
  • Platinum - $6,000
  • Platinum Pro - $9,000 (beginning 1/1/17)
  • Executive Platinum - $12,000
Elimination of four AA marketed EQS requirement

NOTE: Concierge Key is treated as a higher status tier than Executive Platinum for upgrade Priority, but is not otherwise an AAdvantage status tier.

Change from three status tiers to four - new 75K "Platinum Pro" added

"In 2017 you can start earning toward a new level, Platinum Pro, with benefits like:
  • Complimentary upgrades on flights within North America and between the U.S. and Central America
  • Earn 9 award miles/U.S. dollar (80% bonus)
  • 2 free checked bags
  • oneworld® Sapphire status
  • 72 hour upgrade window* (announced elsewhere)
NOTE: Platinum upgrade window goes from 72 to 48 hours; Concierge Key upgrade window is 120 hours.

February 2017

Introduction of highly restricted AA Basic Economy fares. FT link.

These will accrue 0.5 EQM, 0.5 EQS, will not permit rollaboard size / overhead baggage (only one personal item) unless you have status, no upgrades permitted, etc.

"Late" 2017:

Change to upgrade priority to EQD-based priority

"The way your upgrade request is prioritized will change later in 2017. You’ll be listed according to your elite status level followed by the number of EQDs earned in the last 12 months."
EP, and within EP by EQD spend in last 12 month period; PlatPro, ditto, and on to Platinum, Gold. For both upgrade request and airport list if request goes to airport list.

Executive Platinums able to upgrade MC / coach award flight (On flights 500 mile upgrades are usable, courtesy upgrades; priority within EP by last 12 month EQD spend.

"Starting later in 2017, Executive Platinum members can use their complimentary 500-mile upgrade benefits on AAdvantage® award tickets for travel on American from Main Cabin to the next class."

Peripheral issues:

AA Vacations: AA Vacations packages (like partner airline tickets) will earn EQD based on the distance flown as determined by the fare class purchased. This is in accordance with the "Special Fares" section of the new EQD earnings pages, and confirmed here

EQD requirements will apply to non-US residents as well as US as currently exists

EQD requirements can be partially offset by spend on Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Red or Silver cards.

Partners (AS and oneworld): accrual of EQM as reflected on charts on aa.com; EQD credit to be announced (15 Jul 2016)

Status: AA has no current plans to add "Lifetime Platinum Pro" status.

Resources:

GLOSSARY:

EQD: Elite Qualifying Dollars (base fare + carrier imposed fees, - government imposed taxes and fees)

EQM: Elite Qualifying Miles (accrual depends on fare basis, airline and miles flown)

EQS: Elite Qualifying Segments (discrete qualifying segment credited by AA)

Platinum Pro: new tier beginning 1/1/17 requiring $9,000 EQD and 75,000 EQM or 90 EQS in one calendar year

For links to new threads about these and other recent changes affecting AA flyers, see below.

Link to AAdvantage Program Updates page on aa.com.

Link to Gary Leff's "View from the Wing" blog article on these changes.

Link to Ben "Lucky" Schlappig's take in "One Mile at a Time" on View From the Boarding Area

Link to Andy's take on the Award Miles earning changes on View From the Boarding Area.

Links to useful threads:

GUIDE: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA and partner airlines (2017 on)

GUIDE: Earning AA Elite Qualifying Miles / EQM on AA, oneworld, partner airlines 2017

GUIDE: Earning AA Award / Redeemable Miles / RDM on AA, partners 1 Aug 2016

HELP DESK: Elite Qualifying EQD, EQM & Award / RDM Calculations & Planning 2017

AAdvantage® earning estimates - FAQ (aa.com)
(aa.com "AAdvantage program updates" - link

Link to FT thread: What are AA Platinum Pro Benefits? Are they worth it? (master thread)

Link to FT thread: oneworld not requiring connecting protection or interline baggage 1 Jun 2016

Link to ARCHIVE: Speculation about upcoming changes tba 6 Jun 2016"

Updated 6 Jan 2012 - JDiver

Print Wikipost

JUST THE FACTS: EQD, status tier, other changes announced 6 Jun 2016

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2016, 12:26 pm

Well that makes 2017 airline choices a whole lot easier for me. Given that my US originating flights next year are going to be SEA based, there's absolutely no reason to try and stick with AA (especially with the extra connection needed at an AA hub for most destinations and AS only earning 0.5EQM). It was good while it lasted, that's for sure!
Old Jun 6, 2016, 12:29 pm

Programs: BA Silver, AA Gold, A3 Gold, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
...I very much want to see those charts.
Likewise, these are make or break for me - I was already considering a move to BAEC as BA Gold is far easier to obtain than AA EXP - if the partner EQD earnings are poor, then moving from AAdvantage is a no-brainer.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat 4MM, AA Life Plat, Lufthansa FT, Delta Basic
Originally Posted by sombrachinesca
....Hopefully no one at AA actually does the numbers to see how this would play out in our favor!
And you think that the best way for your wish to come true is to write THIS HERE ????? @:-) @:-)
Old Jun 6, 2016, 12:50 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Originally Posted by mrow
Likewise, these are make or break for me - I was already considering a move to BAEC as BA Gold is far easier to obtain than AA EXP - if the partner EQD earnings are poor, then moving from AAdvantage is a no-brainer.
Or even MPC. I JUST CANT BELIEVE that it's only been two years but AAdv has gone from being miles ahead of MPC to now that I'm considering between and whether to switch. Shows how much AAdv has gone down.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 12:50 pm
wjj

Programs: Former long time AA EXP and CK - 4 MM; Now LTPL; Hilton Diamond; UA Platinum
Originally Posted by GW7Z
I wonder how the new status level impacts the Million Miler program. Today, 1 Million = Gold for life, 2 Million = Platinum for life. Will 3 Million = Platinum Pro for life?
I sure hope so.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 12:52 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
I'm trying to run scenarios to see if this is correct. Am I wrong in my calc's/assumptions below?

Example for a current Gold member:

PHL-SFO = 2521 miles @ $300 per roundtrip (fare + carrier fees)
Fly 5 roundtrips=25210 EQMs + 1500 EQDs
**not eligible for gold status qualification until spending $1500 more

Award Miles earned: $300 x 5 RT's x 7 (gold bonus) = 10,500 award miles

So, despite flying 25,210 EQMs...I will only be earning 10,500 redeemable award miles and still be 1500 shy of the EQD qualification level of Gold.

That's a pretty hefty change. But I suspect in a year or two the elites will thin out due to this. Or Plats and ExPlats will be downgraded to Gold if they are racking up a lot of miles on cheap tickets.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by G-CIVC
Or even MPC. I JUST CANT BELIEVE that it's only been two years but AAdv has gone from being miles ahead of MPC to now that I'm considering between and whether to switch. Shows how much AAdv has gone down.
I know, it's a little crazy, however I suspect we should move this to the other thread for discussions as this is the thread for facts.

Last edited by mrow; Jun 6, 2016 at 1:09 pm
Old Jun 6, 2016, 1:03 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
These changes probably won't impact me much as an EXP. The EQD at $12,000 seems high but I don't think this will be an issue. It means at $400 average per ticket I would need 30 trips. Which I do. A lot of those are last minute which means tickets at more like $700-$800. I do have a few cheaper tickets so it will probably even out. I typically book one trip per year to Australia in J that is around $7-8K which will make this easy. Will booking on QF not count towards the dollar spend? I suppose I just need to book on the AA website?
Old Jun 6, 2016, 1:13 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Upgrade prioritization

The way your upgrade request is prioritized will change later in 2017. You’ll be listed according to your elite status level followed by the number of EQDs earned in the last 12 months.

--

So it's a general EQD rather than spend on AA metal? If so, it could potentially be beneficial - rack up EQDs not by the dollar with AA/001 stock but by partner %age-of-mileage tickets and clear SWUs on AA easier. Must be too idealistic here.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 1:17 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
They don't appear to actually state that EQD is earned when you fly rather than when you buy, but it's strongly implied. If so, how does the EQD get assigned to appropriate years when a ticket has outbound in Dec and return in Jan? Do you get EQDs for an outbound added to the running total used for upgrade ranking for the return?
Old Jun 6, 2016, 1:19 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
Yes...as I calm down a bit the changes might actually be positive for me as a partner flyer in premium cabins. Gotta wait and see what the earning rates are, and RDM matters for me too.
We tend to fly partners in conjunction with AA so we get the AA-marketed flights on the partners, and will get EQD based on that. For the few partner-marketed, though, it will be interesting to see the charts.

Cheers.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by brp
We tend to fly partners in conjunction with AA so we get the AA-marketed flights on the partners, and will get EQD based on that. For the few partner-marketed, though, it will be interesting to see the charts.

Cheers.
Indeed. Looking at the DL ones it could be quite an interesting dynamic.

I am wondering whether ticketing with JV partners for non-AA coded flights would end up with you getting distance or spend based EQDs, RDMs etc.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 1:24 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
I've crunched the numbers, and I've personally spent around $3250,- on tickets for myself, so it looks like this year will prolly be my last as a PLT unless my next job pays for the whole kitten caboodle.

Originally Posted by jridge
Or people residing overseas (like DL does)
I was hoping for this exclusion, but am not surprised that this isn't included. They are allowing EQDs to be earned on all of their partners, but I suspect it will be restrictive, or even restricted, in due course.

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Same question.

And what additional benefits come with Platinum Pro? On UA, that status allows changes on award tickets with no fees. What about AA?
I think the fact that you don't need upgrade stickers is a big plus, but unless you're getting upgraded 100% of the time, it's prolly hit or miss.

Originally Posted by FWAAA
Don't over-think it. It means an upgrade to the next class of service, which is first class if domestic (2-class), business class if international or business class on the 3-class transcons. EXPs already get MCE even on award tickets and that's not going away.
I would over-think this. AA did away with a lot in this series of changes that they said they weren't even considering pre-merger.

Originally Posted by mrow
I am thinking of making the switch also, but I suspect that you will still see AAdvantage miles become Avios points in the not too distant future. Like the Borg of Star Trek, "Resistance is Futile."
Old Jun 6, 2016, 1:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott GLD, HH PLT, Hertz 5*
My travel plans are normally last minute mid-trancons, or far-planned TATL/APAC trips (which normally both end up at around $800-1200.

I should have no problems with the $12k barrier, and couple that with a few personal MRs will make these changes a non-issue.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 1:38 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
So non-US address on file will result in an EQD exemption? It has with DL and UA, and I am sort of surprised AA didn't (yet?) go that DL/UA way. Then again AA and BA seem to have a rather different dynamic in FFP approach than DL with AF-KL or UA with LH.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.